yeah, uhm, the way that reads it implies the esteemed gentlemen had acquired an STD from a prostitute, lmao
exploitative relationships ftw
[account deactivated]
check out this exiled article that just dropped about Papua New Guinea, pretty good:

http://exiledonline.com/papua-new-guinea-through-the-eye-of-a-pig/

So here we are, in just another hellhole created by Big Mining, where law and order is half-privatized, half-non-existent; where there’s no relief but crappy beer and short betel buzzes.

aerdil posted:
check out this exiled article that just dropped about Papua New Guinea, pretty good:

http://exiledonline.com/papua-new-guinea-through-the-eye-of-a-pig/

So here we are, in just another hellhole created by Big Mining, where law and order is half-privatized, half-non-existent; where there’s no relief but crappy beer and short betel buzzes.

lovin the casual mention of how women can't go out at night without being raped with absolutely no follow up or any concern whatsoever.

also that was a pretty shit article by any standard, needed more about barrick mining imo

[account deactivated]

futurewidow posted:
lovin the casual mention of how women can't go out at night without being raped with absolutely no follow up or any concern whatsoever.

also that was a pretty shit article by any standard, needed more about barrick mining imo

he also wrote the david foster wallace piece, which was fun but upon reflection kind of scares me. what does it mean when you can read thousands upon thousands of words that you despise? dude has like an encyclopedic knowledge of the mcsweeney's crew

This deserves its own thread but I'm lazy tonight.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory
[account deactivated]
its a monologue by a fat white artist about Chinese factory workers.

NounsareVerbs posted:
its a monologue by a fat white artist about Chinese factory workers.

it'd be cool if chinese people could speak

Marxist Leninist Goon Goes 2 Phlogiston Paradise, Gets Dick Rot
talks about how beautiful the prostitutes are
repost this in GBS imo

jools posted:
repost this in GBS imo

As long as it doesn't detract from the thread's main points sure I can talk a bit about it. All stories begin with "well I was really drunk" and this one is no exception. I was with a friend at the little bar/restaurant across from our hostel (Friendly's in Malate if you ever decide to go to Manila) which attracted all the expat slime and the prostitutes and beggars that stick to them. I was too lazy to go somewhere nice, plus it was cheap and I was with a friend who was a total sleazeball and fit right in. Anyway he started hitting on this girl who was clearly not into him. I have nothing against prostitution but I was trying to avoid it, and I took the fact that she was picky as a sign against her being a prostitute.

Long story short we went to her place and she was like "hey can you give the owner 500 pesos to spend the night" which didn't seem odd to my drunken brain. Maybe it was like a dorm or something and you had to bribe the landlord, or maybe it was like a hotel. Looking back it was most likely a prostitute, and I got some kind of infection the next day on my knee and 2 toes which freaked me the fuck out. I used protection and got tested and I'm clean, and I also had a few more girls while I was there but that was my close call with a prostitute in the Philippines. The End.
[account deactivated]
I Had A Few More Girls
x__x
lmao this is amazing and horrifying
i already told u guys that the op is the plot of platform. just droppin truth bombs here
i love the way you slip things in bhpn
as long as you are attractive enough to get a one night stand normally, then i don't think using a prostitute is immoral, since you aren't exactly coercing someone into an act that they would otherwise object.

merely, the two of you are entering into an agreed contract, essentially, to skip the foreplay and pretenses about normal westerner courting rituals, like buying drinks and dropping negs, et cetera

Impper posted:
i already told u guys that the op is the plot of platform. just droppin truth bombs here

he's just like houellebecq omg !!! <3 <3

AmericanNazbro posted:
as long as you are attractive enough to get a one night stand normally, then i don't think using a prostitute is immoral, since you aren't exactly coercing someone into an act that they would otherwise object.

merely, the two of you are entering into an agreed contract, essentially, to skip the foreplay and pretenses about normal westerner courting rituals, like buying drinks and dropping negs, et cetera

they are both exploitation

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
The best part is how at the begining it's all high flautin, like I'm not one of THOSE slimeball expats, and it ends with you ignorantly raping a filipino woman

i think that definitely cheapens the word rape but idk
[account deactivated]
there used to be a contingent of lf people that thought prostitution was ok but were taking the point of view of the freedom of the sex worker to work in dignity (or something), nice to see quite a few people here have just dropped the pretenses and are a-ok with the idea of having sex with a woman against her will for life experience and the writer's life
never forget how absolutely vile men are, how any men will espouse feminism for as long as it takes for them to get laid and drop it as soon as it poses any inconvenience, the same men that talk about class war and exploitation but think nothing of exploiting the women around them and have a litany of excuses at the ready.
men cannot fight the people's war because they are not people.

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

you mean a man and a woman having a one night stand after they met, for a few minutes to an hour, at a bar?

[account deactivated]

futurewidow posted:
never forget how absolutely vile men are, how any men will espouse feminism for as long as it takes for them to get laid and drop it as soon as it poses any inconvenience, the same men that talk about class war and exploitation but think nothing of exploiting the women around them and have a litany of excuses at the ready.
men cannot fight the people's war because they are not people.

it's actually a lot easier to get laid being an overt misogynist so those guys really need to change their game up. someone should notify them.

[account deactivated]

AmericanNazbro posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

you mean a man and a woman having a one night stand after they met, for a few minutes to an hour, at a bar?

come on baby we're just a couple of rational actors and are in no way products of a dominant social order like uh patriarchy or anything. let's fuck, i'l fuck anything that moves

[account deactivated]

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

come on baby we're just a couple of rational actors and are in no way products of a dominant social order like uh patriarchy or anything. let's fuck, i'l fuck anything that moves

alright, man, sheesh, i didn't realize you were an enlightened feminist and knew exactly what every woman really wanted, because they themselves don't actually know. good thing you are here to tell them, maybe ytou should get a megaphone and shout in the middle of timesquare so women no longer get confused about their hopes and desires in life

AmericanNazbro posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

alright, man, sheesh, i didn't realize you were an enlightened feminist and knew exactly what every woman really wanted, because they themselves don't actually know. good thing you are here to tell them, maybe ytou should get a megaphone and shout in the middle of timesquare so women no longer get confused about their hopes and desires in life

sexual relationships founded on genuine mutual respect and without the harmful underpinnings of patriarchy and all that are certainly possible but i really doubt one night stands fit this criteria

I didn't actively seek out prostitution but obviously any sexual interaction is going to have unequal power relations and probably be exploitative. Guess I should have sat it my room and cried though, that's what LF does