[account deactivated]
i honestly don't know of anyone taking internships outside of finance people, but they're all well paid for it. the rest of my people all just work shit jobs or not at all. are internship out of college a thing outside of NYC and maybe LA/SF?
[account deactivated]

elemennop posted:

i honestly don't know of anyone taking internships outside of finance people, but they're all well paid for it. the rest of my people all just work shit jobs or not at all. are internship out of college a thing outside of NYC and maybe LA/SF?

it's pretty common

yeah, i forgot about DC, but what percentage of the labour market are we talking about here?
i have people back in serbia that have unpaid "jobs", where the only reason they're still working is because they want to keep accumulating work years for retirement and so they still qualify for some social benefits. you literally have to bribe people to get a job these days, i'm talking about like envelope of money to a political party bribe, and then you're lucky if you actually get paid.
[account deactivated]
i like it when i call people to offer them jobs and they say "yeeah im just looking for an internship though???"

discipline posted:

elemennop posted:

yeah, i forgot about DC, but what percentage of the labour market are we talking about here?

among certain industries, it's huge. if you're interested, Intern Nation by Ross Perlin is pretty good

i'm interested, but not interested enough to do research on my own...

[account deactivated]
i assume its because they're idiots below the legal drinking age who were told they need an internship to get a job in their field
a bloo bloo i can't get a job with my two master's degrees. if those degrees were actually useful, you could just rob a bank with them. two high school girls in Ohio managed it, you can't pull that off? get real.
ohio, home of astronauts, presidents, and bank robbers. the heart of it all.
you should get a bank-robbing job with this one trick a weird mom discovered
masters degrees are pretty useless unless you're going into teaching or STEM

Goethestein posted:

degrees are pretty useless unless you're going into teaching or STEM

ftfy

what a stunning fucking coincidence that people are strongly encouraged to take on large amounts of undischargable debt regardless of the utility of the product

thirdplace posted:

what a stunning fucking coincidence that people are strongly encouraged to take on large amounts of undischargable debt regardless of the utility of the product

- a dumbfuck attending law school

stuff like this feels me with so much anxiety and ennui hahahaha fuck. never leaving school.
[account deactivated]
obv chemsack isnt some idiot liberal but the broad sweep of intern solidarity and the idea of the precariat etc always seems like 'capitalism sucks bc it hasnt worked out for me personally' rather than being based on structural observations

but what do i know, my dad got me my career and i enjoy it, cheers
In nyc they're going to require bicycle deliverers / deliveries guys to undergo training, register etc or face ticketing and die, which is kind of a sneaky way to edge undocumented workers and other undesirables out from that kind of work imo
Khamsek, we should focus our efforts and write up a writeup on the rental market in nyc, which for those of you who dont know about it in irl, is insane, for instance if you ever go to nyc housing court, even if you're in the right, your name gets added to a blacklist and most landlords wont even consider renting to you because its not worth it to have a tenant who has proved willing to go to court over apartment issues. or how about many landlords requiring a guarantor who makes 40x the annual rent hahahahaha haha

cleanhands posted:

obv chemsack isnt some idiot liberal but the broad sweep of intern solidarity and the idea of the precariat etc always seems like 'capitalism sucks bc it hasnt worked out for me personally' rather than being based on structural observations

but what do i know, my dad got me my career and i enjoy it, cheers

most jobs in the west are superfluous in the global system and employers are catching on to this neat little trick discovered by a stay at home mom

I do feel for you, that must have sucked, but I can’t help feel there’s some sort of laudable democratization at work here when the educated classes are given a sharp reality check about their value to post-industrial society
This mantra I always hear about being told you have to go to college doesn’t seem like much of a defence of anything. There’s a lot of mantras we’re told growing up: Buy pogs to be cool, me a massive dickhead to women, war is glorious.

You don’t have to believe them.

swampman posted:

Khamsek, we should focus our efforts and write up a writeup on the rental market in nyc, which for those of you who dont know about it in irl, is insane, for instance if you ever go to nyc housing court, even if you're in the right, your name gets added to a blacklist and most landlords wont even consider renting to you because its not worth it to have a tenant who has proved willing to go to court over apartment issues. or how about many landlords requiring a guarantor who makes 40x the annual rent hahahahaha haha

lol jesus christ

swampman posted:

can we please give it a rest with the dog-whistle anti-Semitism? it's not funny or clever

Just live in the middle of nowhere where rent and life generally is cheap.
or just buy a place and not pay any rent geez

In a 2007 episode of the Charlie Rose show, Rose was interviewing the actor and comedian Steve Martin about his memoir Born Standing Up. They talked about the realities of Martin's rise. In the last five minutes of the interview, Rose asks Martin his advice for aspiring performers.

"Nobody ever takes note of -my advice-, because it's not the answer they wanted to hear," Martin said. "What they want to hear is ‘Here's how you get an agent, here's how you write a script,' . . . but I always say, ‘Be so good they can't ignore you.' "

Edited by getfiscal ()

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

can we please give it a rest with the dog-whistle anti-Semitism? it's not funny or clever

Its a more complicated thing than that because two large hasidic sects around these parts are fierce anti-zionists, of course theres also issues with them exporting their poor upstate and rabbis fighting to keep parental consent out of ritually sucking baby dick

swampman posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
Its a more complicated thing than that because two large hasidic sects around these parts are fierce anti-zionists, of course theres also issues with them exporting their poor upstate and rabbis fighting to keep parental consent out of ritually sucking baby dick

I forgot about those upstate communes, there's one of them i think i read that is apparently the poorest town in the united states haha

Yes. Haha.
Yes I advise all my students not to go to college and then attempt to compete with those who did and are now desperate for any paying job doing anything.

That's surely a wise decision.
I tell people to go to college because they need to piss four years up against the wall to get a piece of paper that will let them get another piece of paper that will let them get other pieces of paper so that they can be allowed to do a job that by all rights has nothing to do with any of those bloody pieces of paper

because I just can't bear to think that somewhere a dean is going hungry and an institution of ~higher learning~ isn't packed to the gills with common americans taking hundreds of thousands of make believe dollars of loans to pay make believe bills
When your talkinga bout Jews its called Dime racism b/c only certain ppl notice a dropped dime (jews)
perhaps it is a matter that calls for a nuanced analysis of competing factors and the concrete individual situation rather than a clear case where one option is uniformly preferable to The Other. could it be that the truuuuuuuthhhhhh...isssss innnnnnnn... tehh*seizes up*