swampman posted:

hey posted:

CNC machines are nowhere near affordable for a hobbyist.

that is not true at all, you can get a great CNC rig for under $900 or build your own for a third of that. i know i've seen tons of "build a CNC machine for under $30 by stealing parts out of your grandma's printer" guides as well.

For milling metal? Or doing ultra-precise cuts on plastic? No way jose. I don't have too much knowledge on the subject but I highly doubt you could get the same precision on a 3D printer as you would with a DIY CNC machine.

Edited by hey ()

[account deactivated]

cars posted:

Lykourgos posted:

Can't wait to imprison someone for 3d printing. Really hate printers. Most bothersome peripheral device ever.

i agree, they give me nothing but trouble in general, it's like 'just print the fucking thing' without whirring and beeping and grinding at me

i mean what IS the deal with printers?

I love the internet but I hate...HATE computers

hey posted:

swampman posted:

hey posted:

CNC machines are nowhere near affordable for a hobbyist.

that is not true at all, you can get a great CNC rig for under $900 or build your own for a third of that. i know i've seen tons of "build a CNC machine for under $30 by stealing parts out of your grandma's printer" guides as well.

For milling metal? Or doing ultra-precise cuts on plastic? No way jose. I don't have too much knowledge on the subject but I highly doubt you could get the same precision on a 3D printer as you would with a DIY CNC machine.

translation 'i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about whatsoever'

[account deactivated]
this bump made me think slumlord was back
His website in July published plans to build only one 3D-printed weapon, the Liberator, which has not been improved since its inception — remaining crude, unreliable and given to exploding instead of firing clean. “I stopped shooting them in ’15 or ’16,” he said. “I’d say I had a 50 percent success rate even in just shooting them.”

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/meet-cody-wilson-the-austin-man-behind-the-fight-over-printed-guns/ujI9pCxq5c71Lcrwlc3WVL/
just make a new thread please
do not disturb the dead