post your favorite kim. mine is il-sung cause he was sick at karaoke
mine is jong-il because of pulgasari
pulgasari is pretty sick yeah.

cars posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

kim jong il: *just going for it today* see that pig over there? it is actually a dragon. you can see by how gay it walks
peasant farmer at gunpoint: aha you are so right

kim jong il died.

Everybody dies and that's a fact.

i will accept this, although i choose life.

Petrol posted:

North Korean period (1978–1986)

In 1978, Shin's former wife, Choi Eun-hee, an actress who starred in many of his films, was kidnapped in Hong Kong and taken to North Korea. Shin himself came under suspicion of causing her disappearance, and when he traveled to Hong Kong to investigate, he was kidnapped as well. The kidnappings were on orders of future leader Kim Jong-il, who wanted to establish a film industry for his country to sway international opinion regarding the views of the Workers' Party of Korea. The North Korean authorities have denied the kidnapping accusations, claiming that Shin came to the country willingly. Shin and Choi made secret audiotapes of conversations with Kim Jong-il, which supported their story.

Shin was put in comfortable accommodation, but after two escape attempts was placed in a prison for over two years. Once his re-education in North Korean ideology was thought complete, he was taken to Pyongyang in 1983 to meet Kim Jong-il and learn why he had been abducted to North Korea. His ex-wife was brought to the same dinner party, where she first learned that Shin was also in North Korea. They remarried shortly afterwards, as suggested by Kim Jong-il.

From 1983 on, Shin directed seven films, with Kim Jong-il acting as an executive producer. The last and best-known of these films is Pulgasari, a giant-monster film similar to the Japanese Godzilla. In 1986, eight years after his kidnapping, Shin and his wife escaped while in Vienna for a film festival. They managed to obtain political asylum from the US embassy in Vienna and Kim Jong-il became convinced that the couple had been kidnapped by the Americans. Shin and his wife lived covertly for two years in Reston, Virginia, under American protection, and authorities debriefed the couple about Kim Jong-il and their experiences in North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Sang-ok#North_Korean_period_.281978.E2.80.931986.29

is this another one of those made up stories or did it actually happen? because lol

Pulgasari is real and good as hell
"the only way th people in north korea (who are deficint in the "film making gene") can make good films is to kidnap people with the correct film genes and force them to make the good films"

any truth in this statement? is this correct?
Film making is not genetic & like many asthetic persuits could more accurately be linked to class and upbringing, so that parts wrong, also North Korea makes the best movies in the world and non-north Koreans are sometimes lucky and privileged enough to be invited to participate in the North Korean filmmaking process, which they are happy to do, as any of us would be.

tears posted:

One September day in 1967 Kim Jong Il visited a chicken farm

Some chickens were playing in the recreation area while others were laying eggs in the coops, which were equipped with automatic doors.

An official reported that they were the first batch of fattening chickens that had been hatched from eggs sent to the farm by Kim Il Sung. Kim Jong Il, with a satisfactory eye on the plump chickens, praised the farm for having raised the chickens well. Then he looked more closely at one chicken before asking, ”Is that a fattener, too? That one pecking nervously at the feed.”

The official looked in the direction to which he was pointing and saw a chicken fussing over its feed. He asked if a laying chicken had got mixed in with the fatteners.

No one answered.

With a slight smile on his face, he said ”fatteners are calm and never fuss, but laying chickens are nervous by nature.”

Then he commented that it must be an excellent layer.

An official caught the chicken and examined it. Kim Jong Il was right.

Even the breeders, who observed and examined the chickens every day to prevent ones with different characteristics mixing, had failed to notice the chicken. However, Kim Jong Il had noticed the laying chicken among the thousands of similar looking fatteners at first glance.

this is basically the identical template every single american conservative chain email uses about some wise conservative hero. replace kim jong il with reagan and i bet it'd get a lot of traction.

ersatz versions of "Godzilla" were an entire worldwide miniature industry in movies for a while and "Pulgasari" is probably the only one, including the sequels to "Godzilla", fully informed by the political, dramatic and tonal elements that made "Godzilla" so compelling in the first place, while also using them to examine questions of class that made "Pulgasari" its own thing.

the rest of the examples would be fine if they were just big dumb monster movies but instead they usually tried to ape the messages about war and nuclear weapons from "Godzilla" and failed miserably.
isn't it the literal blood of the workers that brought Pulgasari to life

Synergy posted:

Petrol posted:

North Korean period (1978–1986)

In 1978, Shin's former wife, Choi Eun-hee, an actress who starred in many of his films, was kidnapped in Hong Kong and taken to North Korea. Shin himself came under suspicion of causing her disappearance, and when he traveled to Hong Kong to investigate, he was kidnapped as well. The kidnappings were on orders of future leader Kim Jong-il, who wanted to establish a film industry for his country to sway international opinion regarding the views of the Workers' Party of Korea. The North Korean authorities have denied the kidnapping accusations, claiming that Shin came to the country willingly. Shin and Choi made secret audiotapes of conversations with Kim Jong-il, which supported their story.

Shin was put in comfortable accommodation, but after two escape attempts was placed in a prison for over two years. Once his re-education in North Korean ideology was thought complete, he was taken to Pyongyang in 1983 to meet Kim Jong-il and learn why he had been abducted to North Korea. His ex-wife was brought to the same dinner party, where she first learned that Shin was also in North Korea. They remarried shortly afterwards, as suggested by Kim Jong-il.

From 1983 on, Shin directed seven films, with Kim Jong-il acting as an executive producer. The last and best-known of these films is Pulgasari, a giant-monster film similar to the Japanese Godzilla. In 1986, eight years after his kidnapping, Shin and his wife escaped while in Vienna for a film festival. They managed to obtain political asylum from the US embassy in Vienna and Kim Jong-il became convinced that the couple had been kidnapped by the Americans. Shin and his wife lived covertly for two years in Reston, Virginia, under American protection, and authorities debriefed the couple about Kim Jong-il and their experiences in North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Sang-ok#North_Korean_period_.281978.E2.80.931986.29

is this another one of those made up stories or did it actually happen? because lol

It's well known as propaganda (among those who study such things anyway). Shin was fleeing Park Chung-hee and then sold that story to the Americans when he wanted to leave North Korea. But the point of propaganda is not to stand up to scrutiny, it's to overwhelm through sheer volume and repetition. No one has time to check every single piece of propaganda since new ones are constantly coming out, the only reason I know anything about this one is I read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Screen-Korea-Sang-ok-Postwar/dp/0816691347

For unrelated research.

So basically you can check propaganda when you have that initial revelation that capitalism is bad and everything is a lie but if you don't eventually reach the point where all bourgeois propaganda appears as such simply through your understanding of the deeper structural forces then you may have incurable liberalism.
Ah, same but about having sex with third world women for five dollars instead of your topic.
dprk tour guides have the patience of saints

Guyovich posted:

Somebody please make the equivalent video but at a random Honda dealership in Cleveland

A Puzzle Solved

In October 2000, Madeline Albright, Secretary of State of the United States, visited Korea.

At a banquet attended by Kim Jong Il, she set a puzzle to the participants. How was it possible to make 16 with your ten fingers?

A deep silence fell in the banquet hall.

The silence was broken by Kim Jong Il, who came up with the solution. Saying that it was quite easy, he extended his ten fingers with both thumbs oberlapped to form a cross, expressing 4x4.

All looked at him in admiration. Albright was the first to clap her hands.

parabolart posted:

Guyovich posted:

Somebody please make the equivalent video but at a random Honda dealership in Cleveland

one of the customers coughs and legions of commenters are saying "HE COUGHED! THAT WAS A SIGNAL TO THE OTHER ACTORS!!" as if the only possible reason for a person to cough in the dprk is to let everyone know the westerner's filming

Guyovich posted:

if what liberals say about the dprk is true then pyongyang is like LA but better: all the actors who move there actually get employed as actors

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
In related news Chelsea Manning is actually being stalked at all times by FBI agents
What Do Gang Stalkers Want And How To Defeat Them, Greensboro,NC

babyhueypnewton posted:

So basically you can check propaganda when you have that initial revelation that capitalism is bad and everything is a lie but if you don't eventually reach the point where all bourgeois propaganda appears as such simply through your understanding of the deeper structural forces then you may have incurable liberalism.

these days i always approach with skepticism but i still feel uncomfortable not doing at least a little digging for the real story. it's a lot more satisfying being able to point to an article debunking the propaganda verses just saying "well, it's probably fake"

DPRK actors and actresses, hand-selected from infancy for their regular appearances, perform a highly-choreographed dance meant to appear happy and "proletarian" to the untrained Western eye

how lynchian. what a torrid hellscape

(this thread is a good one that i've had to read a few times because my brain is bad)
and the only cure is this thread
[account deactivated]
more like... I See BMs
red alert 4 anouncement poster

{im the tiny letters saying: how power damages the brain)
https://theintercept.com/2017/07/29/dan-coats-north-korea-nukes-nuclear-libya-regime-change/

Kim, according to Coats, “has watched, I think, what has happened around the world relative to nations that possess nuclear capabilities and the leverage they have and seen that having the nuclear card in your pocket results in a lot of deterrence capability.” In particular, “The lessons that we learned out of Libya giving up its nukes … is, unfortunately: If you had nukes, never give them up. If you don’t have them, get them.”

This is, of course, blindingly obvious and has been since the U.S. helped oust longtime Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011. But U.S. officials have rarely if ever acknowledged this reality. Here’s the timeline:

In December 2003, Libya announced that it would surrender its biological and chemical weapons stockpiles, as well as its rudimentary nuclear weapons program.

In celebrating Libya’s decision, President George W. Bush declared that the rest of the world should take away the message that “leaders who abandon the pursuit of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, and the means to deliver them, will find an open path to better relations with the United States and other free nations.” Paula DeSutter, Bush’s Assistant Secretary of State for Verification and Compliance, explained that “we want Libya to be a model for other countries.”

In 2011, the U.S. and NATO conducted a bombing campaign to assist Libyan rebels in overthrowing the Gaddafi government. Gaddafi himself was captured by one rebel faction, who apparently sodomized him with a bayonet and then killed him.

You would definitely expect this to get the attention of North Korea’s ruling clique — especially given that Iraq had also disarmed and then been invaded, with its dictator executed by a howling mob.

And, indeed, North Korea said this explicitly at the time. Its foreign ministry stated, “The Libyan crisis is teaching the international community a grave lesson,” which was that the deal to rid Libya of weapons of mass destruction had been “an invasion tactic to disarm the country.”

Yet the Obama administration shamelessly denied this. A reporter told State Department spokesperson Mark Toner that “North Koreans are looking at this” and it didn’t “give them a lot of incentive to give up their nuclear weapons.” Toner replied that “where at today has absolutely no connection with them renouncing their nuclear program and nuclear weapons.”
[account deactivated]
shitty move by China to vote yes on the newest sanctions and also all the other sanctions they helped pass
For real right? Why didn't they just abstain?
Xi aint right but Xi's just right for me.
Xi keeps pushing and pushing and pushing pushing and pushing etc.
China is more dangerous than a loaded pistol
They promise you heaven they give you hell
My little chairman
Is driving me crazy

XI MAKES ME A KILLER

Edited by GroverBabyFurr ()

i support war with PRNK, also I support us losing said war