Lykourgos posted:
woah woah woah, if someone is going to have an epiphany of some sort and convert, they better try the classics LONG before they go for some modern religion. This is totally unacceptable, there is no excuse to just give yourself over to a religious movement before trying philosophy; there is plenty of direction and goodness in the classics, don't take the easy way out

bruv im a middle class brit do u really think i wasnt aware of the classics

Your inability to believe in a modern, monotheistic religion is actually a good thing about you deadken. Skipping the whole argument, let's just say they're wrong, and it is incorrect to believe in them. There is nothing wrong with you for failing to go along with a religious movement that thinks god said things or composed a book.
the only truly great philosophers among the greeks were the presocratics imo. and the sophists too actually, they had no illusions about the baseness of their art
Peace and contenment is a luxury that the intelligent can't afford.

I wish I was born stupid
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

No, you know about them, but that doesn't mean that you tried really hard to understand or believe in the moral/ethical philosophies of the ancient world. There's a difference between knowing something exists, and being given to it. Also, think about all those christians who know that ancient texts exist, but will thoughtlessly say that without god there is no right or wrong and everything is subjective, seemingly unaware of the content of ancient works.

Point is, do not, whatever you do, give yourself over to some popular, monotheistic church. It's the easy choice because every man and dog has someone preaching to him these days, but don't do it because there are better choices you can make.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Aristotle is considered a prophet in Islam

Okay I didn't know that, but it doesn't cure the major faults of the religion. The catholic church loves Aristotle, too, and I love various aspects of that non-democratic theology, but I would never tell someone to become catholic unless it was as a last resort to stop them becoming a relativist and/or to make them know their role.

[account deactivated]

Lykourgos posted:

deadken posted:

No, you know about them, but that doesn't mean that you tried really hard to understand or believe in the moral/ethical philosophies of the ancient world. There's a difference between knowing something exists, and being given to it. Also, think about all those christians who know that ancient texts exist, but will thoughtlessly say that without god there is no right or wrong and everything is subjective, seemingly unaware of the content of ancient works.

the morality of the ancient world was fucking awful though? from platonic abstractionism to aristotelian golden mean bullshit to the vile reactionary nonsense of the stoics its all utterly facile, without any critical attention paid to the categories they apply or the wider social context of their ethical posturings. i never tried hard to believe in them because theyre entirely without value

The only "Aristotle" we have is the Islamicized Aristu of Ibn Rushd. Sorry for your lots.
I think its funny that akhi ken accidently stumbled upon the Truth and ran off into a competely idealist fantasy about Christianity being revolutionary or something lol. yes that holds up to inspection
aristotle is not a prophet. this woman is a deceptive heretic and ill have non of this heterodoxy
heraclitus and diogenes were kewl, p much every other greek can suck a big ole dick, even epicurus, fuck him

deadken posted:
heraclitus and diogenes were kewl, p much every other greek can suck a big ole dick, even epicurus, fuck him

i like socrates

how does a fake christian miss out on the opportunity to hold up socrates as a martyr jeez u really havent thought this through have you brother

christianity is the only major religion in world history that arose outside the State apparatus, of course it was later captured by the State and made subservient to it but even now traces of its radicalism remains, more than any other religion christianity is a palimpsest, the potentialities for reinscription are almost infinite, while its possible to make radical readings of other religions only with christianity does such a reading actually constitute a reversion to the essence of the religion. only a communist can be a good christian, only a christian can be a good communist

Lessons posted:

read atheism in christianity by ernst bloch. read it. read it

[account deactivated]
pls elaborate.

deadken posted:
christianity is the only major religion in world history that arose outside the State apparatus, of course it was later captured by the State and made subservient to it but even now traces of its radicalism remains, more than any other religion christianity is a palimpsest, the potentialities for reinscription are almost infinite, while its possible to make radical readings of other religions only with christianity does such a reading actually constitute a reversion to the essence of the religion. only a communist can be a good christian, only a christian can be a good communist

uh huh

if you find an ebook of that ernst bloch pls show me bc its hard to find

i dont like god. im a bit negative on god. dude needs to relax a little stop takin things so darn seriously.

deadken posted:

Lessons posted:

read atheism in christianity by ernst bloch. read it. read it

Read The God Delusion, by Richtopher Ditchkins.

deadken posted:

pls elaborate.

i did, it was passed round my jewish youth camp like gonorrhoea at a frat house, thats why judaism is a useless degenerate religion

deadken posted:
the morality of the ancient world was fucking awful though? from platonic abstractionism to aristotelian golden mean bullshit to the vile reactionary nonsense of the stoics its all utterly facile, without any critical attention paid to the categories they apply or the wider social context of their ethical posturings. i never tried hard to believe in them because theyre entirely without value

Yet the morality of the ancient world wasn't "fucking awful" or entirely without value or anything you just said. If we're just going to post insults and compliments at each other then this discussion will have little value; I already know you presently have a negative view of everything except some sliver of modernist thought.

The point is that you shouldn't seriously consider becoming a muslim or joining any major religious movement, because not only are they wrong, but I know that you know that they don't hold up under scrutiny. It is the easy way out; I tell you to revisit the ancient works because I know that they are the closest you will come to goodness, and, unlike in respect to the major religions, I don't think that you are properly aware of whether the classics are right or wrong.

Edited by Lykourgos ()

babyfinland posted:
uh huh

i have an actual paper copy, it might be in fvckverso tho

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:
uh huh

i have an actual paper copy, it might be in fvckverso tho

mail to me

slavery and pederasty: correct or incorrect? the debate rages on

discipline posted:
Tell me about the major faults of the religion

Muslims apparently believe that the Koran is the word of God. At any rate, if you're expecting me to whip out a list of faults, then I'm going to have to disappoint you because I don't keep notes on every disagreement I have with Islam, or Christianity, or Judaism, or any of the other countless theologies that I disagree with. It's easier to have a Muslim explain their religious beliefs and ideals, and then point out why they're wrong. Given that there is talk here of an apostate giving himself over to Islam, that is presumably the way things should go here.

truth is valued by its effect not by the pedantic nasal whining of british nerds U Idiot
as an animal, im naturally muslim

babyfinland posted:

That post is so full of ignorance that it is infuriating to read. Yes there was slavery in the ancient world, and yes, many great thinkers said that slavery was an appropriate institution at the time. Yet the question of slavery for them was cut into several different stages: there was the upper level considerations of ethical theory and metaphysics, and then there was their lower, practical observations and methods. You can accept the morality of the ancients and reject slavery on a number of different grounds, ranging from modern practicality to saying that the moral understanding was correct but the low level observation and application was incorrect.

As for pederasty you don't know what you're talking about full stop if you think that is a legitimate challenge to the ancient thinkers.

Lykourgos posted:

babyfinland posted:

That post is so full of ignorance that it is infuriating to read. Yes there was slavery in the ancient world, and yes, many great thinkers said that slavery was an appropriate institution at the time. Yet the question of slavery for them was cut into several different stages: there was the upper level considerations of ethical theory and metaphysics, and then there was their lower, practical observations and methods. You can accept the morality of the ancients and reject slavery on a number of different grounds, ranging from modern practicality to saying that the moral understanding was correct but the low level observation and application was incorrect.

As for pederasty you don't know what you're talking about full stop if you think that is a legitimate challenge to the ancient thinkers.

Interesting

If Liberals aren’t held accountable for worshipping noted rapist MLK jr then it’s a bit unfair to criticize Grumblefish for liking the ancients even if they were mostly concerned with tickling young boys’ prostates.
i think the Poncey Platonist Paradigm in which metaphysical concerns are considered somehow 'higher' than actual problems such as slavery is a big part of why i hate the greeks tbh

deadken posted:
i think the Poncey Platonist Paradigm in which metaphysical concerns are considered somehow 'higher' than actual problems such as slavery is a big part of why i hate the greeks tbh

what's your stance on practically every Christian theologian until at least the eighteenth century then

muntzer was cool and a couple of the early ones too, the rest can gobble succulently on me ol ball bag

deadken posted:
tonight has been incredibly depressing. i went to this party + am slightly drunk but not drink enough to actually have fun + one of the girls im seeing was there but we couldnt do anything because shes looking after her friend and i couldnt get talking to anyone else because she was there..... but underneath all these bullshit petty worries i just feel an incredible sense of aimlessness, i'm living every day in vague order with no guiding narrative, just kinda drifting...... so pomo

Beneath this numb, angsty exterior is a numb, angsty core

i agree with everything everyone has said, and more