ZThings dont "work" Check your privil;ege.
Some people are only able to perceive the crudest machine-structure in man, and can only recognise the mind as some odd ghost inhabiting a delicate house of tissue and nerve-endings. It is an odd ghost, for, according to their picture, it is enough that the delicate fibre-furniture be damaged for the occupant somehow, mysteriously, to be affected. This dualistic frame on which the pathetic crumbling structure of our hastily put-together modern psychology is erected, leaves us with a picture of something called 'behaviour' which ends up being classified into 'types' and the crude mechanistic picture soon bogs down in a welter of sub-types. It is inevitable that in our time the accepted cure for mal-function of this non-existent ghost in its bizarre house (electrocute the house and thus wipe out the house-keeper) should be an equally crude and massively administered chemical drug treatment. Although some modern therapists have recognised a quite profound and clinically identifiable picture of much greater subtlety which opens to the streaming, sub-electric energy-fields of the body, they in turn become so hypnotised by their own discovery that they again try to contain man within a bio-energy definition reducing the human being by that token simply to the sum of his energies. Utterly closed to the nature of an Unseen reality, because still essentially trapped in this basic duality which they quite rightly observe to exist in the world of forms, they relentlessly avoid the metaphysical question which in other sciences insists on attention. Now that we have uncovered the chromosomic level of patterning, and glimpsed the beauty of form-manifestation and recognised also our profound ignorance of these processes at the very point that certain key designs open themselves to us, we are forced to a threshold of activity which is, if you like, the 'edge of the Unseen', or more correctly, in the language of the Master Jalalud'din Rumi, the Non-spatial, the realm of mind itself, which so delicately and purely refrains from 'being' the brain, and yet so lovingly and seductively is its shadow-reality. I now do not refer to 'your' mind or 'my' mind, for in this picture I would have to italicise out of existence thus – 'your mind' and 'my mind'.
the error of scientism is the error of the Jew

The word Sunna, meaning the Practice, derives from the root SNN, meaning 'to form'. It is nothing less than the form of man, that is, man as a living social organism, man in his wholeness. Any mechanistic or legal idea from your Judaic or Christian background must be removed before you can open to this reality which is utterly organic, physical and metaphysical, a spontaneous human creature in harmony with his creation being the end result, and not an inhibited and outwardly controlled animal. The error of the Jews was not that they failed to obey the Law, but that they turned what was a scientific Law about man – that is, if you do this, that happens – into a legalistic structure exterior to and imposed on man. The error of the Jews made it inevitable that when the existential reality of lawfulness, in its organic sense, the Messiah, appeared, they could not recognise him. So involved were they with the theory, they failed to identify the practice in a living and perfect exemplar. The error of the Christians was its counterpart – so determined were they to enshrine the metaphysical aspect of man's nature, so terrified were they of losing the secret of man's glory, that they felt obliged to enshrine it in a Mystery, in symbol and ritual, letting its protectors be an elite whose raison d'etre was to guard the Secret, until in the end these men did not feel obliged to respond to the social obligations of the teaching, so that they became immoral and corrupt in the name of the perfect Teacher. These two attitudes are what may be understood as 'religion', they are the forms that bind together (religio) a people in an exploitation that must inevitably lead to tyranny.

[account deactivated]
i like saying "the Jew" it has such mysterious resonance

The Peoples Times, New Dog Democrat, Father is Really Fucking Pissed, Putting a Face on Suicide, Equality For All, Republicans are the 1%, Salty Dad, One person can make a difference, Right Wrong Left Right-Humor, All of us who have stuck with Harry until the very end., Occupy Gardens, No matter how old it is, I'll be with Harry until the end, People Against Gay Bullying, Dogs Against Romney, United Atheists of Americaand 960 more
I do my best at what some call "armchair activisim". I meld my knowledge and love of Harry Potter with social, political and economic activism. I stand for any creature being oppressed. From whales and dolphins to Somlians and centaurs, from immigrants and LGBT, to house elves and from merpeople and goblins, to bullied kids and abused women. I hope to make this a world I can be proud of by identifying allies and growing a community of Potterheads that understands the constant underlying theme in the series. Harry Potter to me is a call to end slavery, bigotry, corruption, lies and power lust. The weapon we use to fight it is love. A love for all things great and small and an understanding that we all live on planet earth together and all creatures have as much right to be here as the next. Mermaids, Jews and half-bloods; blacks werwolves and even Twilight fans should all be able to live their lives in peace. Thank you for joining me in this massive undertaking. I am not naive and I may not live see the world that I envision become a reality, but I know that I am not alone and together we can achieve anything.

Thank you for your support. The House Elf Liberation Front
what is worse marxsplaining or gaslighting

gyrofry posted:
what is worse marxsplaining or gaslighting

gasplaining and marxlighting

is gasplaining anything like hydroplaning
bf is that rd laing
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:
bf is that rd laing

no, but which one are you refering to

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
So many science worshipping liberal friends of mine scoffed at that insane clown posse video and yet when I asked them to explain how magnets work they couldn’t tell me.

I still haven’t heard a proper explanation of how they do

magnetism is actually really hard to explain and is based on electron spin, rotating electric charge, which is difficult to visualize. the most experience form of magnetism is ferromagnetism in which 'domains' of similarly spin oriented iron, or similarly valanced, atoms spin the same way to have a net magnetic field which will interact with other magnetic or moving electrically charged substances.

my unironic and friendly offer for a tour of my work still stands if you're ever in LA, IWC.

i mean how are you defining finance algorithms? if you want an efficient, controlled economy you better as hell find a good way of coordinating your supply & demand, and understanding how chaos, etc will affect your planning.

in otherwords can we frame this Q a bit better OP?

also, holy mountain is awesome.

guidoanselmi posted:

So many science worshipping liberal friends of mine scoffed at that insane clown posse video and yet when I asked them to explain how magnets work they couldn’t tell me.

I still haven’t heard a proper explanation of how they do

magnetism is actually really hard to explain and is based on electron spin, rotating electric charge, which is difficult to visualize. the most experience form of magnetism is ferromagnetism in which 'domains' of similarly spin oriented iron, or similarly valanced, atoms spin the same way to have a net magnetic field which will interact with other magnetic or moving electrically charged substances.

my unironic and friendly offer for a tour of my work still stands if you're ever in LA, IWC.

i would love to see it and im going thru lax in 10 days but no time in the city itself

thanks for the explanation, ill look into it a bit more

babyfinland posted:
Elimination of all natural sciences. If anybody ought to go to the extermination chambers definitely scientists, yes I’m definitely anti-scientist because I feel that science represents a conspiracy to impose as, the real and only universe, the Universe of scientists themselves - they’re reality-addicts, they’ve got to have things so real so they can get their hands on it.

im a reality addict. suck up some physics formulas with a discarded insulin needle and bang it straight into my scrote

guidoanselmi posted:
i mean how are you defining finance algorithms? if you want an efficient, controlled economy you better as hell find a good way of coordinating your supply & demand, and understanding how chaos, etc will affect your planning.

in otherwords can we frame this Q a bit better OP?

also, holy mountain is awesome.

i think the OP means algorithmic trading

guidoanselmi posted:
magnetism is actually really hard to explain and is based on electron spin, rotating electric charge, which is difficult to visualize.

it used to be considered occult for exactly that reason

anyways, speaking of visualization, i remember you talking about some really cool type of diagram back on old LF. do you remember any in particular that stand out?

guidoanselmi posted:
i mean how are you defining finance algorithms?

http://www.standardandpoors.com/indices/articles/en/us/?articleType=PDF&assetID=1245294876186

e: fixed link

Edited by dm ()

dm posted:

guidoanselmi posted:
magnetism is actually really hard to explain and is based on electron spin, rotating electric charge, which is difficult to visualize.

anyways, speaking of visualization, i remember you talking about some really cool type of diagram back on old LF. do you remember any in particular that stand out?

that's pretty vague. i've probably posted a lot of NASA/aerospace/systems engineering stuff. maybe some astrophysics as that was my old thing.

i'll also read ^ later. thanks!

dm posted:

really when by who i am actually super interested in this

littlegreenpills posted:

dm posted:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C Clarke

~my realdoll~
[account deactivated]

guidoanselmi posted:
that's pretty vague. i've probably posted a lot of NASA/aerospace/systems engineering stuff. maybe some astrophysics as that was my old thing.

i tried because i know engineers use a billion types of diagrams, but i really couldn't think of anything more descriptive. oh well

guidoanselmi posted:
i'll also read ^ later. thanks!

np

littlegreenpills posted:

the reason it's difficult to visualize is that the formulas and systems of equations used to describe it are assumed to be in a vacuum. before that, there was the aether, which was a suitable conceptual construct to separate it from matter if you think about it. trying to imagine it not being separated from matter makes for some pretty weird shit. forgetting this history and imagining fairly recent discoveries as if they've always existed leads to other weird shit. there's apparently an almost irresistible tendency to attribute some sort of substance to it

The correct answer, to the question in the OP, is No!
Well archimedes made weapons and that made for some fun stories, so...
"fun" as in "boring"?

dm posted:
the reason it's difficult to visualize is that the formulas and systems of equations used to describe it are assumed to be in a vacuum. before that, there was the aether, which was a suitable conceptual construct to separate it from matter if you think about it. trying to imagine it not being separated from matter makes for some pretty weird shit. forgetting this history and imagining fairly recent discoveries as if they've always existed leads to other weird shit. there's apparently an almost irresistible tendency to attribute some sort of substance to it

oh I thought you were going to say something interesting about alchemists and lodestones

"fun" as in "boring"?

wow look at you, you just called Archimedes becoming an invincible, mechanical war machine "boring". i hope your democratic god queen julia gillard bans you from the internet as an example to others

Impper told me that one of the times when he met Grumblefish irl Grumblefish used his badge that he has from working for the city 2 get into the bar bc he didn't have an ID.
Name your firstborn Grumblefish irl Grumblefish
[account deactivated]
not talking to grumblefish tho