Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:
can't good masculinity just be men being good

because all this to do about the symbolic qualities of masculinity seem to ignore the much more immediate, in fact much more real, ways in which masculinity operates as a social role

so what should i do instead of being a good man-person to accomodate whatever the problem is with masculinity as a social role

chemical castration

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:
can't good masculinity just be men being good

because all this to do about the symbolic qualities of masculinity seem to ignore the much more immediate, in fact much more real, ways in which masculinity operates as a social role

babyfinland posted:
so what should i do instead of being a good man-person to accomodate whatever the problem is with masculinity as a social role

honestly i don't have objection to that approach, just trying to be a good person, and i can't imagine anyone would. but i also think if you're going to look at it analytically the starting position has to be the problems with masculinity rather than some ideal conception of a masculinity without those problems.

what is the problem with masculinity
that when you strip away the superficial, physical, etc. characteristics and the mythology about its attributes, it's based most of all around domination
men
yes if youre reductive in a particular way you are going to find what you're looking for. i dont think thats useful or relevant to real life
or that you're going to have a hard time finding a prescriptively "masculine" trait that wouldn't be just as valuable and useful when installed into a woman or a steely asexual robot

littlegreenpills posted:
or that you're going to have a hard time finding a prescriptively "masculine" trait that wouldn't be just as valuable and useful when installed into a woman or a robot

right so does that mean that when women do this it is also oppressive or something. this all seems really wishy washy

babyfinland posted:
yes if youre reductive in a particular way you are going to find what you're looking for. i dont think thats useful or relevant to real life

the exact purpose of that sort of reductionism is to draw the focus away from abstract or broad social conceptions of 'gender roles', etc., and to attempt to understand gender from an everyday, performative perspective. that definitely useful in real life imo, it's also a very influential way of looking at it from sociological perspective, (and pomo butlerism too i guess).

babyfinland posted:
right so does that mean that when women do this it is also oppressive or something. this all seems really wishy washy

why don't YOU come up with a manual of masculinity along the lines of maddox's "dictionary of manliness" and see if it passes muster

ok like i can understand wanted to be critical about what it means to be a good man and how if you do that uncritically it can perpetuate sexism and whatnot but i think it's fairly simple to just move beyond that into a universally good masculinity that isn't tethered to a specific sexist historical category (i think its amusing that you are arguing for historicization of the problem here and im dismissing it)

this might also be a matter of semantics because i think masculinity is simply the character of men in a given society, and to perform a good masculinity simply means a man being good. you seem to be arguing for criticism of the prevailing idea of what makes a good man and i would agree
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

babyfinland posted:

why don't YOU come up with a manual of masculinity along the lines of maddox's "dictionary of manliness" and see if it passes muster

It's called Sunnah.

(jk though the prophet was noted for being "feminine" and whatnot and it really shook things up, still does. but to me thats all inclusive of a positive masculinity. maybe i need more consistent definitions if i can include femininity in masclunity and vice versa but thats how i sees it)

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
george bush was a deserter during a war of blatant imperialism while john kerry was a "war hero" famous for murdering someone for defending their homeland. food 4 thought

babyfinland posted:
ok like i can understand wanted to be critical about what it means to be a good man and how if you do that uncritically it can perpetuate sexism and whatnot but i think it's fairly simple to just move beyond that into a universally good masculinity that isn't tethered to a specific sexist historical category (i think its amusing that you are arguing for historicization of the problem here and im dismissing it)

this might also be a matter of semantics because i think masculinity is simply the character of men in a given society, and to perform a good masculinity simply means a man being good. you seem to be arguing for criticism of the prevailing idea of what makes a good man and i would agree

i don't think it's entirely semantics. i'm trying to say a) that being a good man, as i understand that term, comes into conflict with being a man at all as our society recognizes it b) i don't agree that resolving that tension is such a simple matter.

pomo krew have y'all read this

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/clar0514/academic/west%20and%20zimmerman.pdf

it's a (heh) seminal text
DUuuUuUhHhh *rhythmically bangs pots and pans across head* HuUUUuu

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:

i don't think it's entirely semantics. i'm trying to say a) that being a good man, as i understand that term, comes into conflict with being a man at all as our society recognizes it b) i don't agree that resolving that tension is such a simple matter.

nah i disagree with that

i've no love for exiled even if they have put out 2 or 3 really good articles, but i do hope they do an article just for fareed zakaria, because the fact that otherwise smart people adore him (only because watching his show or reading his hack books makes them feel enlightened) makes me ignite with rage
zakaria is a piece of shit