source

It is hopeless for me to speak to the Self-Defence Force under such conditions. Nevertheless, I am here because I believe the SDF to be honorable. This is what I thought. However, Japan is obsessed with economic prosperity, we have fallen into spiritual emptiness, and politics is nothing but cynical tactics, and materialism......This is what Japan has become. The one place where the soul of Japan still resides is her Self-Defence Force. We.....to the SDF......of the Japanese people......However we......from our hearts......the SDF....

Be quiet, quiet. Please be quiet.

We can't leave the SDF to repair the foundations of Japan, behind the ...... of Japan.

This is what we feel. This is how Japan's fundamentals have been twisted. But nobody notices. Noone sees how our principles have been warped. And, uh, the SDF will repair the damage that Japan has suffered....

Quiet, quiet!

This, and this alone, is why we are behind the SDF.

Don't you understand when I tell you "quiet"? Quiet!

So, uh, the twenty-first of October last year. What happened? What happened on the the twenty-first of October last year? On the twenty-first of October last year, uh, in Shinjuku, there were demonstrations on International Anti-War Day, and they were completely crushed by the power of the police*. On the day I saw that, I knew that it was over, and the Constitution would never be amended.

Why? Why on that day? That's because, uh, the LDP, um, because the LDP, uh, has through its control of the police, gained the power and the self-confidence to crush any demonstration whenever it might happen.

There's no more need to preserve law and order. No more need to preserve law and order. No need to preserve law and order, because a constitutional reform has already become impossible. Do you understand my logic...

You have already, since last year's 10/21 incident, become nothing than a body of men who defend the Constitution. The amendment that you waited for with blood and tears for the past twenty years, will never happen! That's already been taken off the political programme. In the end it was removed. It was. Why won't you open your eyes and see?

For the whole year following 10/21, I have been waiting for the SDF to rise up. There's no chance for an amendment anymore! The SDF will never become a true national army! The whole point of its existence as army has been denied! That most of all is what I weep for. What is the principle that underlies the building of an army, of the SDF? To protect Japan. What does it mean, to protect Japan? To protect our culture, our traditions and our history which centres on the Emperor.

You, listen! Listen, all of you! Quiet! Be quiet! Listen to what I'm saying! A man is risking his life here to appeal to you gentlemen. Alright? Alright?

That's, uh....If the Japanese, um, from here on out, don't stand and rise, if the SDF doesn't stand and rise, there will be no constitutional amendment. You gentlemen will be - forever you know - will be America's army. Japan's ..... and your.......will come from nowhere but America.

Civilian control......you've been poisoned by civilian control. Civilian control is, uh, under the new constitution you won't have to put up with civilian control.

So, uh, I have waited for four years. Four years, I've waited. For the day when the SDF rises up. So, for the SDF.......final thirty minutes......I will wait for a final thirty minutes.

Gentlemen, are you samurai? Are you samurai, gentlemen? If you're samurai, why do you protect the consitution that denies you? Why, for the sake of a constitution that denies you? Why do you fawn over a consitution that denies you? As long as you keep doing that, gentlemen, there's no saving you.

Gentlemen you perpetually, um, with current Constitution you, for political tactics, the SDF puts on a constitutional act, but the SDF is UNconstitutional. The SDF is unconstitutional. You guys are unconstitutional. The Constitution, the SDF, why won't you notice that the SDF has become a force that protects the Constitution? I am waiting, waiting for the day when you break free. If the sight of a little bit of bravery bewilders you, then the time will never come when you will rise up for the sake of Japan.

How is wounding our commander supposed to help Japan?

It was because he resisted. Because he, acting constitutionally, obeyed that same Constitution which has made Japan into a spineless nation. Don't you know that? Is there not one of you gentlemen who will stand together with me?

Not one. Well! A samurai, uh, what is a samurai for? What is his sword for? A mission....

Call yourself a samurai?! Call yourself a samurai?!

If you gentlemen aren't going to rise up to amend the constitution, then it's decided. With this, my dream for the SDF has died. So, now, I will cry "Long live the emperor."

Long live the emperor! Long live the emperor! Long live the emperor!

*a big leftist protest against the Vietnam War et cetera
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
expected Goatse & voted 1 in disappointment

Don't you understand when I tell you "quiet"? Quiet!

[account deactivated]
mishima is kool and i really wanna read confessions of a mask. also i wonder if it's possible to find that book "sword and winter red" about his sexy letters w/ his boyfriend (it got pulled after his bf got sued by his family or something..)
im rereading sailor who fell from grace with the sea. it's so beautifully drawn & the language is so wonderful that it makes me feel like a turd
i just realised that i have the last 3 volumes of the sea of fertility arc but i never read the first one. mishima was my favourite when i was a teenager but i dont know if i could go back and read that stuff again

tpaine posted:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69187

how did you find my account...

i liked the temple of the golden pavilion, kyoko's house and the sailor who fell from grace with the sea but confessions of a mask is a little bit like kosinski's the painted bird in that it's the one work of mishima's that everyone seems to read while simultaneously being one of the most forgettable
is kozinski's other work any good? i have some of his books but ain't really read em, however i love the painted bird. also yes you're right confessions isnt as good.

also nice battier av
can someone contextualize mishima's sympathies for the 10/21 anti-war protest? was it anti-american or anti-capitalist sentiment, or merely anti-police/anti-liberal? certainly it wasn't due to any anti-war or leftist sympathy..
[account deactivated]
sounds like ur mom knows a thing or two. remember to respek ya elders

Impper posted:
is kozinski's other work any good? i have some of his books but ain't really read em, however i love the painted bird. also yes you're right confessions isnt as good.

the kosinski ive read, from what i recall of when i read it, was disturbing in a good way. like the scene in mishima's temple of the golden pavilion when the young monk drives his foot into the belly of the pregnant woman laying on the ground and derives an inexplicable sensation of pleasure at doing so, kosinski takes an unflinching look at what i could only call psychopathy and depravity, and the interpersonal power politics which serve as grist for its mill

each book is sort of the same book over and over, at least the ones i read. a friend in college wanted to read something which actually disturbed her and reported that people would suggest things to her and she would read them and roll her eyes, so i suggested kosinski unhesitatingly; she came back to me saying it was almost too revolting to keep reading it but she couldnt stop

kind of hyperbolic but you get the drift i hope

also nice battier av

The_Schliski posted:

Impper posted:

the kosinski ive read, from what i recall of when i read it, was disturbing in a good way. like the scene in mishima's temple of the golden pavilion when the young monk drives his foot into the belly of the pregnant woman laying on the ground and derives an inexplicable sensation of pleasure at doing so, kosinski takes an unflinching look at what i could only call psychopathy and depravity, and the interpersonal power politics which serve as grist for its mill

each book is sort of the same book over and over, at least the ones i read. a friend in college wanted to read something which actually disturbed her and reported that people would suggest things to her and she would read them and roll her eyes, so i suggested kosinski unhesitatingly; she came back to me saying it was almost too revolting to keep reading it but she couldnt stop

kind of hyperbolic but you get the drift i hope

also nice battier av

man thanks for the rec. im gonna pull out all that kozinski i been neglecting. i've always just kind of assumed it'd be shit, i'm not sure why haha

[account deactivated]
everything i put in is shit, idk about yhou