http://www.salon.com/2012/02/08/repulsive_progressive_hypocrisy/singleton/?mobile.html

On mobile so not copying
glenn-chan always brings up the idea that Liberal types should all apologize to bush II and thats a real funny + cool notion
civil liberties lol
more proof that democratic presidencies move the country to the right, we need to elect a republican this year.

wisdom in accelerationism after all
i'm not a huge fan but to give him the benefit of the doubt i think glenn greenwald just tries to write in the language of a liberal for the sake of his audience. if you ever get drawn into discussions about politics with your liberal cohorts you probably have such widely different premises and semantics that you'll never 'win' an argument through marxism so you just have to get them to admit that they are basically without ideology and their political identity is nothing more than an identity

but really you shouldn't even waste your time doing that, you accomplish nothing politically and people just think you are a weirdo or a nihilist or a republican
whats wrong with people thinking youre a weirdo
you are a weirdo autist though, groulsmith

Groulxsmith posted:
but really you shouldn't even waste your time doing that, you accomplish nothing politically and people just think you are a weirdo or a nihilist or a republican

are you telling me you don't like the moment when all the gears in someone's head start jamming, their expression turns vacant, and they ask "wait.. you're not a democrat... but you're not a republican either?"

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

are you telling me you don't like the moment when all the gears in someone's head start jamming, their expression turns vacant, and they ask "wait.. you're not a democrat... but you're not a republican either?"

so are you not voting this year?

the key is to gain their respect, then say things you really mean
I'm a liberal. I'm actually the only liberal in my particular FBI office. That's why they assigned me to read this forum. I am better at telling jokes and 'trolls' apart from real threats than my conservative colleagues.
[account deactivated]

The number of those who approve of the drone strikes drops nearly 20 percent when respondents are told that the targets are American citizens.

For fuck's sake why can't they just say they're nationalists? It makes these issues so much simpler.

If the Left could just divide people into nationalists and internationalists in this country you'd see the problem. Every single mainstream liberal would say they're nationalists. The only reason they won't is because the Nazis ruined it for them.

Basically the liberal nationalists and conservative nationalists who dominate the political discourse in this country need to be told that while all Nazis are nationalists not all nationalists are Nazis.

1. The United States isn't racist
2. The United States allows its own people legal and political rights
3. The United States isn't expansionist; it has enough land

See! Three major differences!

Now the U.S. still believes those who are weak and poor, can't look, act or sound like the average American citizen, and are openly hostile to U.S. national, strategic or security interests are subhuman deserving of little to no legal and political rights.

Yea, that sounds kinda like the Nazis. It also sounds like every powerful country in the entire history of the human race.

i think i see what you're saying... this is some high level analysis..

internationalist posted:
For fuck's sake why can't they just say they're nationalists? It makes these issues so much simpler.

If the Left could just divide people into nationalists and internationalists in this country you'd see the problem. Every single mainstream liberal would say they're nationalists. The only reason they won't is because the Nazis ruined it for them.

Basically the liberal nationalists and conservative nationalists who dominate the political discourse in this country need to be told that while all Nazis are nationalists not all nationalists are Nazis.

Now the U.S. still believes those who are weak and poor, can't look, act or sound like the average American citizen, and are openly hostile to U.S. national, strategic or security interests are subhuman deserving of little to no legal and political rights.

Yea, that sounds kinda like the Nazis. It also sounds like every powerful country in the entire history of the human race.

quoting so y'all give this post an extra read. lots of stuff to think about in there it's probably worth looking over more than once.

is it too late to nominate internationalist for mod

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Truly a remarkable rebuttal. I have been decimated once again by the deadken school of no content single sentence sarcastic reply.

you carry on non-existant arguments with yourself and put everything through some pointless cosmopolitan lens
[account deactivated]

Groulxsmith posted:
is it too late to nominate internationalist for mod

No content single sentence sarcastic reply.

[account deactivated]

internationalist posted:

The number of those who approve of the drone strikes drops nearly 20 percent when respondents are told that the targets are American citizens.

sorry friend, english isn't my first language and i'm having trouble understanding this post but it appears as though it's built around the premise that the nazis were the "bad" guys during ww2? sorrey, just having trouble grasping this and why equating nationalism and nazis means bad things in america.

american political culture is actually pretty anti-nationalist. it venerates universal concepts and values and believes americanism is exportable
if you're not a nationalist / conservative you are a trot zionist traitor imo
[account deactivated]
otoh http://www.rhizzone.net/article/2011/12/05/nationalism/
I'm not reading any more of your replies but has anyone else noticed that people on here seem to be much more excited about attacking an individual rather than the political idea they post?

This place always comes alive when there's someone to attack socially like a bunch of gossipy housewives. This a political forum so that means people really aren't important; you should attack their ideas instead. Quote something then post a quote from somewhere refuting that idea or do it yourself.

Try to understand that so when I bother reading your reply I'll have something to argue with. TIA.

internationalist posted:

lol. Hitler, the Master Signifier

internationalist posted:
I'm not reading any more of your replies but has anyone else noticed that people on here seem to be much more excited about attacking an individual rather than the political idea they post?

This place always comes alive when there's someone to attack socially like a bunch of gossipy housewives. This a political forum so that means people really aren't important; you should attack their ideas instead. Quote something then post a quote from somewhere refuting that idea or do it yourself.

Try to understand that so when I bother reading your reply I'll have something to argue with. TIA.

you come across as crazy because you bring up some non-existant divide between nationalism and internationalism as the end-all point in analysis. you may as well be richard dawkins saying atheists do it this way and theists do it that way

internationalist posted:

responding to arguments with quotes isn't really how it's supposed to work

Groulxsmith posted:
american political culture is actually pretty anti-nationalist. it venerates universal concepts and values and believes americanism is exportable

id make a distinction then between political culture and (maybe?) "popular" culture. not even necessarily implying two groups, just a split in peoples conceptions. the values are universal and exportable but the concern is not

internationalist posted:

i agree; people don't even bother to engage in debates of philosophy or ideology anymore. real sad state LF is in, though hopefully between you and me and a few others we can change it.

anyways, let me quote something from another forum i frequent, dispelling your notions that hitler and subsequently the nazi's were "bad" people. in my country, all of the working class and common people love hitler, don't fall for the propaganda tearing down one of the greatest men in history.

here's the quote, it's some poetry, i hope you enjoy

mistersix posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

id make a distinction then between political culture and (maybe?) "popular" culture. not even necessarily implying two groups, just a split in peoples conceptions. the values are universal and exportable but the concern is not

yeah of course but there's really no insular concern either

im going to register an account called "infinitist" and post nonstop about how the primary contradiction is between infinity and finitude and regurgitate half-understood badiouvianisms. this was actually my plan for the future anyway but i think it'll be more cohesive with a new username
i'm going to register the username CoolDude1995 and then just keep posting the same way
there's really nothing better than when people come to lf and do the whole "hay guys im gonna come here and post my made up nonsense theory of all political turmoil and injustice in long badly thought out and unorganized posts and then get mad when you don't 'engage' with the actual 'content' of my posts" and then become super outraged and call you all intellectually dishonest
badiouvianisms
I can think of a few things better, or on par, but you are right, it is very exciting. What a treat! A new poster, with a new ideology! A new friend, or a new enemy? Who will know until the facebook political compass test is revealed...
argh i hate these nationalists so much *'nationalists' agitate for endless money for tiny jewish elite and endless military support for tiny jewish state*

internationalist posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Truly a remarkable rebuttal. I have been decimated once again by the deadken school of no content single sentence sarcastic reply.

wow my own school