http://www.physorg.com/news205133042.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- As far as astrophysicists can tell, the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, and will likely continue to do so indefinitely. But now some physicists are saying that this theory, called eternal inflation, and its implication that time is endless pose a problem for scientists calculating the probability of any event occurring. In a recent paper, they calculate that time is likely to end within the next 5 billion years due to some type of catastrophe that no one alive at the time will witness.

The physicists, Raphael Bousso from the University of California, Berkeley, and coauthors have posted a paper detailing their theory on arXiv.org. In their paper, they explain that in an eternal universe, even the most unlikely events will eventually occur -- and not only occur, but occur an infinite number of times. Since probabilities are defined in terms of the relative abundance of events, there would be no point in determining any probabilities because every event would be equally likely to happen.

"If it does occur in Nature, eternal inflation has profound implications," write Bousso and coauthors in their paper. "Any type of event that has nonzero probability will happen infinitely many times, usually in widely separated regions that remain forever outside of causal contact. This undermines the basis for probabilistic predictions of local experiments. If infinitely many observers throughout the universe win the lottery, on what grounds can one still claim that winning the lottery is unlikely? To be sure, there are also infinitely many observers who do not win, but in what sense are there more of them? In local experiments such as playing the lottery, we have clear rules for making predictions and testing theories. But if the universe is eternally inflating, we no longer know why these rules work.

"To see that this is not merely a philosophical point, it helps to consider cosmological experiments, where the rules are less clear. For example, one would like to predict or explain features of the CMB ; or, in a theory with more than one vacuum, one might wish to predict the expected properties of the vacuum we find ourselves in, such as the Higgs mass. This requires computing the relative number of observations of different values for the Higgs mass, or of the CMB sky. There will be infinitely many instances of every possible observation, so what are the probabilities? This is known as the 'measure problem' of eternal inflation."

One solution to this problem, the physicists explain, is to conclude that time will eventually end. Then there would be a finite number of events that occur, with the improbable events occurring less often than the probable events.

The timing of this "cutoff" would define the set of allowed events. Thus, the physicists have attempted to calculate the probability of when time will end given five different cutoff measures. In two of these scenarios, time has a 50% chance of ending within 3.7 billion years. In two other scenarios, time has a 50% chance of ending within 3.3 billion years.

In the fifth and final scenario, the timescale is very short (on the order of the Planck time). In this scenario, the scientists calculated that "time would be overwhelmingly likely to end in the next second." Fortunately, this calculation predicts that most observers are "Boltzmann babies" who arise from quantum fluctuations in the early universe. Since most of us are not, the physicists could rule this scenario out "at a high level of confidence."

What would the end of time be like for observers around at the time? As the physicists explain, the observers would never see it coming. "The observer will necessarily run into the cutoff before observing the demise of any other system," the scientists write. They compare the boundary of the time cutoff to the horizon of a black hole.

"The boundary ... can be treated as an object with physical attributes, including temperature," the authors write in their paper. "Matter systems that encounter the end of time are thermalized at this horizon. This is similar to an outside observer's description of a matter system falling into a black hole. What is radically new, however, is the statement that we might experience thermalization upon crossing the black hole horizon." Yet the thermalizing "matter system" would still not notice anything unusual when crossing this horizon.

For those who feel uncomfortable about time ending, the physicists note that there are other solutions to the measure problem. They don't claim that their conclusion that time will end is correct, only that it follows logically from a set of assumptions. So perhaps one of the three assumptions underlying the conclusion is incorrect instead.

The first assumption is that the universe is eternally inflating, which is a consequence of general relativity and well supported by the experimental evidence so far observed. The second assumption is that the definition of probability is based on the relative frequency of an event, or what the scientists call the assumption of typicality. The third assumption is that, if spacetime is indeed infinite, then the only way to determine the probability of an event is to restrict one's attention to a finite subset of the infinite multiverse. Some other physicists have already looked into alternatives to this third assumption.

Whatever happens in the next 3.7 billion years, Bousso and his coauthors' paper will likely be spurring a variety of reactions in the near future.

oblivion awaits everything inevitably. It may be as inevitable and as gauche as the slow decline of everything into eternal darkness over hundreds of billions of years as matter tears itself apart and every star dies. But today physics has given us a reprieve: not the slow death of darkness but a freeze that defies reason and understanding. rejoice, for the horror of existence has been cut to a hair's breadth!

whats the probability of u posting the steampunk pictures before time ends
a bit of joy and optimism to keep in mound is that if the total lifespan of the universe is 3.3 billion years from today, that cuts the likelihood of sapience ever arising by factors of thousands. multicellular life on this relatively safe solar system way out in an established galaxy took billions of years to develop; if it started today, anywhere in creation, it would never so much as pick up a rock before the end of everything

In the fifth and final scenario, the timescale is very short (on the order of the Planck time). In this scenario, the scientists calculated that "time would be overwhelmingly likely to end in the next second." Fortunately, this calculation predicts that most observers are "Boltzmann babies" who arise from quantum fluctuations in the early universe. Since most of us are not, the physicists could rule this scenario out "at a high level of confidence."

does anyone understand this? the universe was only able to continue expanding for longer than a second after the big bang because there were no observers in the quantum foam?

who are we to question the wisdom of the shamans
[account deactivated]
"In order to save our planet, we must first anthropomorphize it" - Unknown
finitist fuckers glimpse infinity, conclude it is a problem, predict doom and gloom as a solution
jsut dont observe anything and time will never end
time will technically end in 100 years when humanity exterminates itself over the last few drops of fossil fuels
[account deactivated]
I don't know which oblivion is better. Obviously the dying of all lights over agonizingly slow billions of years, darkness infinite and eternal, has its aesthetic upsides. But the end of time makes sense ; it seems silly to believe that time has always and will forever progress at the same rate, and this assumption has never been based on anything. The idea that we are literally running out of time has something to say for it as well.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
fragments of a rainy season is one of my favorite albums to listen to repeatedly as background music whilst i do stomach crunches
i'm amazed that 'science' can produce things like this and still maintain the air of detached, objective truth in the minds of ostensibly intelligent people
[account deactivated]

Groulxsmith posted:
i'm amazed that 'science' can produce things like this and still maintain the air of detached, objective truth in the minds of ostensibly intelligent people

I read these with an implied "HOW WILL OUR PLUCKY SPECIES FARE?? IS THIS THE END FOR OUR INTREPID CIVILIZATION??? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, SAME APE TIME, SAME APE CHANNEL!!!"

[account deactivated]

Groulxsmith posted:

physics begins with speculative theories which may or may not be supported by math and the physical evidence. the idea of spacetime collapsing may seem crazy but it's really no more crazy than points of infinite gravity, two particles entangled across any distance, or that matter is so empty that you could squeeze the entire earth into the something the size of a ping-pong ball.

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

I read these with an implied "HOW WILL OUR PLUCKY SPECIES FARE?? IS THIS THE END FOR OUR INTREPID CIVILIZATION??? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, SAME APE TIME, SAME APE CHANNEL!!!"

humanity is going to die far sooner than this. 100 million years from now the sun is going to expand to such a point that the planet becomes uninhabitable (although it probably won't exactly be a picnic for 20 million years prior). of course, no matter what, in a few million years, if we last that long, this line of apes will have long since ceased to be recognizable as humans as we understand them. and that's not even taking into account genetic engineering and living in low-or-zero gravity, which while i dislike space fetishists is something that will probably be inevitable in that timeframe if technological society still exists. with those considered, humanity as we know it will be extinct within an unknown but relatively miniscule amount of time, a few millennia, maybe less

lol people talking about the sun blowing up or whatever like it actually matters are stuuuuupid.
pale bloated sacks of boneless muscle, all sphincters and cartilage, floating in zero g and slapping their soft five-fingered tentacles at touchscreens to call each other faggots
theres a fairly high probability we're going to be extinct w/in a century which is one of the reasons that i don't mind physicists having a bit of a wank in a paper on arXiv but spending billions of dollars on particle accelerators drives me crazy, scientists are the worst at keeping their eyes on the ball

Goethestein posted:

babyfinland posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

humanity is going to die far sooner than this. 100 million years from now the sun is going to expand to such a point that the planet becomes uninhabitable (although it probably won't exactly be a picnic for 20 million years prior). of course, no matter what, in a few million years, if we last that long, this line of apes will have long since ceased to be recognizable as humans as we understand them. and that's not even taking into account genetic engineering and living in low-or-zero gravity, which while i dislike space fetishists is something that will probably be inevitable in that timeframe if technological society still exists. with those considered, humanity as we know it will be extinct within an unknown but relatively miniscule amount of time, a few millennia, maybe less

thats cool i guess whatever

it's probably unlikely that we're going to be extinct within a century. global warming wouldn't do it. neither would a plague. asteroid might do it, but even the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs wouldn't be big enough. thermonuclear war is probably survivable from all the people who would not be directly affected by blasts or fallout (south america and africa) and bunkers.
[account deactivated]
i dont trust anyones ability to predict anything on that scale, we can't even organize production properly anymore, plus it doesnt matter anyways. death to everyone is gonna come
scientists should be exterminated. their feeble bodies are probably of little use in real work.
lol this is like me dogging a surgeon and being all "there's no truth in there man" before he cuts someone up. invoke "SCIENCE" and you guys knock each other over to be the biggest dumbest baby

Goethestein posted:
global warming wouldn't do it.

IEA is calling 600 ppm CO2 equiv by 2100 which is extinction for pretty much 70-80% of extant eurkaryotic life on earth. i mean you can dispute whether or not we're going to get there before major dislocations prevent further emissions but climate change is fully capable of transitioning the ecosphere into a new succession of species, it's happened multiple times before for the same reasons

animedad posted:
lol this is like me dogging a surgeon and being all "there's no truth in there man" before he cuts someone up. invoke "SCIENCE" and you guys knock each other over to be the biggest dumbest baby

i dont think the urgency of surgery properly equates with "Everything will end in a few billion years maybe"

babyfinland posted:
i dont think the urgency of surgery properly equates with "Everything will end in a few billion years maybe"

ya but the way science is misrepresented on this forum, tied in with imperial discourse so handily that the two become indistinguishable, is obviously ahistorical and silly

sorry nerd. when i take over im killing anyone who wears glasses like my hero. pol pot.