tpaine posted:

babyfinland posted:
my father leaves notes to himself around the house and addresses them to himself

Tom's dad,

Don't forget the laundry.

Tom's dad

your dad is a really supportive guy with earrings and a moustache and i won't hear otherwise

he does have a mustache

babyfinland posted:
my father leaves notes to himself around the house and addresses them to himself

Tom's dad,

Don't forget the laundry.

Tom's dad

i do the same thing but with email

gyrofry posted:
your literal job is nuking it from orbit

it might be if i win a proposal a team i'm in submitted? right now it's just ion rays for science investigations and the power systems to get to various places.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/neo/report2007.html is the latest big study on different deflection methods. nuclear standoff p much wins it with regards to amount of information required, cost, effectiveness, and technical maturity.

tpaine posted:
so one of the things i'm professionally interested in is planetary defense.

for now. until grover inc starts hiring for laser weapons systems

"NASA recommends that the program continue as currently planned,"

[account deactivated]
^

gyrofry posted:
"NASA recommends that the program continue as currently planned,"

~nasachat~

lol like congress would ever give nasa more money given the absurd issues with JWST and human spaceflight. (imo obama picked holden to be a shitty leader and make NASA an intentional non-issue)

the major problem is currently surveying anyway. we really dont have a great fix on the NEO population. a bunch of politics is getting in the way of doing a survey mission to figure out the quantity and nature of NEOs. a dream mission an observatory around ~0.7 AU looking out at NEOs around earth. estimates by HEOMD (the new human exploration mission directorate) place the cost around $1.5bil which is absurd. the guy presenting it was yelled/laughed at by the small bodies science community awhile ago.

currently, someone's doing a follow-on to WISE called NEOWISE to look for NEOs. it's a bit limited being at 1 AU and having a now 'warm' focal plane array but at least it's dirt cheap multitasking of 'old' missions.

NEO: Woa.
i've actually created an affordable intercept device that deflects small bodies. it's called the Trajectory Intercept Module, or TIM WISE.
i keep mixing up derrick pits and neil grass
how do explosives work in space, anyway? like what component of a nuclear explosion would be mostly responsible for exerting force on an asteroid or whatevs?
for standoff detonation - radiation. x-rays impart a lot of energy and vaporize the regolith/top layer which due to conservation of momentum pushes the object the opposite direction.

there's other fun games you can play with device design to make it a project orion-like pulse unit where you vaporize a sheet of something like titanium to make into a plasma which imparts momentum directly. pulse units are moderated to have much slower (while it might be on orders of magnitude, it's still 'fast') detonation than nuclear weapons.

you can directly impart the momentum using a kinetic impactor; ESA is studying a mission to do this aptly called Don Quijote

Edited by guidoanselmi ()

do ppl at nasa like planetes
outside of JPL, ARC, APL (DOD FFRDC) no one knows what a "planet" is. hth

e: i googled it. no, no clue. i dont think anyone watches anime at work. one of the grey beards at work was a muse to arthur c clarke and got to go to sri lanka to chat with him about spacey stuff.

Edited by guidoanselmi ()

thats cool. planetes is relatively hard scifi, the characters deorbit old satellites and other debris. a lot of it deals with stuff like ppl getting cancer from being irradiated in space too much, having too low bone density from being on the moon to ever return to earth, that kind of stuff. it scratched my "realistic"-space-travel itch
nasa doesnt know what planets are. man i shoudl apply at nasa. i know the heck what a planet is big time

shennong posted:
do ppl at nasa like planetes

we aren't going to be bombing space until we discover poor people on the moon, or whatevs, so all of this conjecture is meaningless
bombing space is an effective way to keep people on earth poor tho, so it likely will continue to have a strong appeal

think sometimes that the two symbols of our present kind of technological culture are the rocket ship and the bulldozer. The rocket as a very, very phallic symbol of compensation for the sexually inadequate male. And the bulldozer, which ruthlessly pushes down hills and forests and alters the shape of the landscape. These are two symbols of the negative aspect of our technology. I'm not going to take the position that technology is a mistake. I think that there could be a new kind of technology, using a new attitude. But the trouble is that a great deal of our power is wielded by men who I would call 'two o'clock types.'

Maybe you saw an article I wrote in "Playboy" magazine called "The Circle of Sex," and it suggested at least a dozen sexual types rather than two. And that the men who are two o'clock on the dial, like a clock, are men who are ambisexterous, named after Julius Ceasar, because Julius Ceasar was an ambisexterous man, and he equally made love to all his friend's wives and to his good-looking officers. And he had no sense of guilt about this at all. Now, that type of male in this culture has a terrible sense of guilt, that he might be homosexual, and is scared to death of being one, and therefore he has to overcompensate for his masculinity. And so he comes on as a police officer, Marine sergeant, bouncer, bookie, general--tough, cigar-chewing, real masculine type who is never able to form a relationship with a woman; they're just 'dames' as far as he's concerned. But he, just like an ace Air Force pilot puts a little mark on his plane each time he shoots down an enemy, so this kind of man, every time he makes a dame he chalks up one, because that reassures him that he is after all a male. And he's a terrible nuisance. The trouble is that the culture doesn't permit him to recognize and accept his ambisexterity. And so he's a trouble spot.

when is felix baumgartner going to drop
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Gregory posted:
when is felix baumgartner going to drop

when you strain hard enough.

i strained the egg. i strained it. cant wait to see the noodl