snipe

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
FAGGOTS.

quoting in case of edit

germanjoey posted:
SOMOENE MAKE A REALLY GREAT POST THAT MAKES ME EXCITED TO MAKE A GREAT POST IN RETURN

"soon" i will have a series of excursus in the phenomenology thread. ive got the hard part, the titles, mapped out in my head. now i just need to develop the associated content

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

mistersix posted:

germanjoey posted:
SOMOENE MAKE A REALLY GREAT POST THAT MAKES ME EXCITED TO MAKE A GREAT POST IN RETURN

"soon" i will have a series of excursus in the phenomenology thread. ive got the hard part, the titles, mapped out in my head. now i just need to develop the associated content

i stole a Big Book O' Heidegger the other day and soon i will inundate your thread with dumb questions + opinions

ive been reading a lot of foucault recently and i find him perfectly accessible + comprehensible, i dont really get all the fuss

deadken posted:
i stole a Big Book O' Heidegger the other day and soon i will inundate your thread with dumb questions + opinions

cool what book is it

i got a reader & heidegger explained: from phenomenon to thing by graham harman. dont know how good it is but the other secondary texts they had were all critical readings and i think i ought to get an understanding of the basics of his philosophy first

deadken posted:
ive been reading a lot of foucault recently and i find him perfectly accessible + comprehensible, i dont really get all the fuss

9 out of 10 chomskys agree

i should probably check out that graham harman book, ive seen it referenced a few times and hes got quite the blogosphere presence
chomsky comes off an utter mindbabby in that debate imo

mistersix posted:
i should probably check out that graham harman book, ive seen it referenced a few times and hes got quite the blogosphere presence

i stole it on thurs and havent actually read it yet but im starting..... (wait for it) ...... NOW

deadken posted:

well, u see, he says a lot of implicitly bad things about capitalism and dominant ruling structures sooooo whats this french faggot saying cant understand him i see his mouth movin but all i can think of is cocks in it ahahahah see ya later sucker

francis wheen has this book How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World in which as well as discussing various new age nonsense he also singles out deleuze as an exemplar of pomo nonsense, a point he supports with extracts from a thousand plateaus that he claims dont make any sense, and im just like 'if you just quoted bits from the middle of a scientific paper with no contextual information to a lay audience it wouldnt make any sense either, damn.' the myth of theoretical inscrutability is really weird, everyone expects advanced mathematics to not be instantly comprehensible but for some reason philosophy has to be written at a primary school level otherwise its worthless
you know who i blame for everything. alain de botton. fuck that dude
british philosopher is an oxymoron

deadken posted:
francis wheen has this book How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World in which as well as discussing various new age nonsense he also singles out deleuze as an exemplar of pomo nonsense, a point he supports with extracts from a thousand plateaus that he claims dont make any sense, and im just like 'if you just quoted bits from the middle of a scientific paper with no contextual information to a lay audience it wouldnt make any sense either, damn.' the myth of theoretical inscrutability is really weird, everyone expects advanced mathematics to not be instantly comprehensible but for some reason philosophy has to be written at a primary school level otherwise its worthless

Wheen is a signatory to the Euston Manifesto and was a close friend of the late Christopher Hitchens. He is not an admirer of Noam Chomsky, although they share an interest in the values of the Age of Enlightenment.

lmao. the euston manifesto was embarrassingly liberal & vague pro-war iirc. i wonder how terrible his biographies on marx and capital are

the euston manifesto is explicitly pro-war and all of its signatories are worthless simply by virtue of being signatories. the euston manifesto marked the mainstream left's abandonment of anti-imperialism and acquiescence to the war on terror narrative. eugh. otoh i thought wheen's marx bio was actually kinda decent, i was like 17 when i read it and had something of a trot tendency at the time
harman has a lot of critics and according to them his reading of heidegger is supposed to be reductive and idiosyncratic
isn't every reading of heidegger idiosyncratic

babyfinland posted:
harman has a lot of critics and according to them his reading of heidegger is supposed to be reductive and idiosyncratic

yeah i figured it might be, his big thing is "object oriented philosophy" and theres this ominous bit from wikipedia:
Taking the tool-analysis as the defining moment in twentieth-century philosophy, Harman finds in Heidegger the roots of a metaphysics of things which does justice to the autonomous existence of objects.

but i have acquired the book so we'll see. my suspicion is that its going to be heavily tilted toward the dreyfusserian baseballs-and-hammers focus at the expense of everything else

gyrofry posted:
isn't every reading of heidegger idiosyncratic

likely, until it gets enough weight behind it to be contextually canonical

i'm a critic of harman because once on his blog he posted a picture of a dinosaur with a lazer gun with the text "this is pretty funny". no it isn't graham harman.
yeah there's a lot of talk of hammers

deadken posted:

Yeah um the difference is that mathematics gives us planes and cars and bridges and philosophy gives us genocide and concentration camps

[account deactivated]

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

deadken posted:

Yeah um the difference is that mathematics gives us planes and cars and bridges and philosophy gives us genocide and concentration camps

so then would you classify science as part of philosophy, which has corrupted pristine math for its own horrible ends? sort of a neo-pythagoreanism?

i tried to start an ironic smash mouth punk cover band in high school because i thought it'd be funny to go around to punk shows and be like yeah we're REALLY into smash mouth
[account deactivated]
more like smash moth
some....body *smashes through wall like kool aid man on saturday night live*
moths are nature's punks, banging their heads into lights and sleeping all day and tearing holes in clothes and making snide remarks about butterflies because fuck society

getfiscal posted:
i tried to start an ironic smash mouth punk cover band in high school because i thought it'd be funny to go around to punk shows and be like yeah we're REALLY into smash mouth

4 dudes, 2 bass guitars, a drum machine and smash mouth tabs dled from ultimate-guitar.com

mothcore. crustmoth
the word crustpunk just makes me think of a dude whose white dreads have got so greasy they have literally formed an oleaginous crust, gross

deadken posted:
the word crustpunk just makes me think of a dude whose white dreads have got so greasy they have literally formed an oleaginous crust, gross

that's literally what crustpunk is, literally literally

humans are disgusting
as a lumpenproletarian i shouldn't speak ill of my kind
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422847