tpaine posted:

What if I'm gay?

we would support you tpaine

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Keven posted:

Anyway when it comes to psychology heres my conclusion... This stuff used to be real, but over time it's become more and more scientific and since, last I checked, which was recently, very recently, science isn't real; therapy also isn't real.

luckily most therapy it seems has nothing to do with psychology and is more like a hired empathetic friend

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
So, I monetized basic support groups... and, welp
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
how are you doing tpaine? tell me your problems and I will listen with a sympathetic and heartfelt ear
in general making insurrectionary sounds on the internet about sex work or psychology (it did sound cool coming from 70s feminists tho I have to admit) does nothing for actual people, so yeah I'm pro sex worker in that you should learn about it and not judge
i am going to guess that he is now gay and having trouble dealing with it. stay strong
[account deactivated]
you've been gay for as long as i've known you get the fuck over it
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

that's 3 days

[account deactivated]
this "I'm gay" exchange sounds like something that would go on in a little boys locker room. you don't like little boys... do you?
[account deactivated]
this is starting to get weird. logging off...
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
60 new posts in the real life thread, sure must be some real life going on
tpaine has come out of the closet
[account deactivated]

Belphegor posted:

So several people in my family have been attending this self-help type thing called the "Landmark Forum". They keep trying to convince me to attend a seminar but I don't want to because my Marx senses are tingling.

a bunch of the left liberals i knew as a young boy activist got into this in the early 2000s and now they're all real embarrassed about it and won't talk about it. it's like a holdover from TM and shit like that, petit-bourgeois people get into it to "actualize" themselves into bourgeoisie and bourgeois people do it because they're bored

Kevin has it right though Landmark is just a vague sort of contemporary group therapy in a huge group that takes a lot of time per session and then they try to convince you to bring other people into it right after a fleeting catharsis moment.

To convince you to get other people to go to Landmark instead of anyone else, they pretend like their theory and practice has already anticipated, cataloged and addressed all the problems of other approaches to therapy. Tbh that is kind of worse than just your average therapist nowadays who tends to be at least mildly eclectic and will likely be receptive if you as a patient come to them and suggest an approach you read about somewhere that's different from what you're currently doing and explain why you want to try it.

cars posted:

Kevin has it right though Landmark is just a vague sort of contemporary group therapy in a huge group that takes a lot of time per session and then they try to convince you to bring other people into it right after a fleeting catharsis moment.

To convince you to get other people to go to Landmark instead of anyone else, they pretend like their theory and practice has already anticipated, cataloged and addressed all the problems of other approaches to therapy.

soooo.... it's church. expensive smug bougie church. different strokes for different folks, i guess??

it's not church because that's the house of God.
also if you go into the sacrament of reconciliation and the priest thinks you're treating it like therapy he'll say you should also see a therapist and point you toward some resources, he's trained to do that. I can't speak for what Protestant pastors do but that probably breaks down into whether they're left-wing or right-wing and if they're formally trained in any way.

what Landmark does with their thing where they're like "We're the only real therapy" is just a holdover from a previous era of Western psychology and other sorts of mental therapy though when everyone said that about their own school.
what if money and vague liberal platitudes are my god. what then cars. please respect the beliefs of people who need to pay lots and lots of cash to go to their church.

cars posted:

what Catholicism does with their thing where they're like "For it is through Christ's Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help towards salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained" is just a holdover from a previous era of Christianity and other sorts of religion though when everyone said that about their own church.

posting is obedience to god

shriekingviolet posted:

what if money and vague liberal platitudes are my god. what then cars.

for those people I'd suggest Assemblies of God or the "Church of God" that's based out of Cleveland Tennessee because they're free, they'll link you up with left-liberal activism and also they're hemorrhaging members badly right now so you'll be treated like water in the desert.

You could also join UU if you don't believe in anything but want to meet the sort of bourgeois people who still feel a sense of propriety about their social lives and maybe land a job. In that case though I'd just suggest joining one of those old Flintstones Water Buffalo social clubs instead because they have also seen massive declines in membership and will take pretty much anyone now.

shriekingviolet posted:

cars posted:

what Catholicism does with their thing where they're like "For it is through Christ's Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help towards salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained" is just a holdover from a previous era of Christianity and other sorts of religion though when everyone said that about their own church.

this is true and it's a little sad that everyone else has stopped doing it.