PARIS - The main union representing French domestic intelligence officers, those charged with counter-espionage and anti-terror investigations, called Wednesday on its members to stage a protest.

The head of the SNOP union, which represents senior police officers and is the main labour body for members of the DCRI security agency, said his members planned a "gathering" at their Paris headquarters on Friday.

Union secretary general Jean-Marc Bailleul said his members were protesting "human resources management" at the spy agency, and in particular the recent naming of a senior administrator to a post normally held by a field agent.

A smaller union said it wanted no part in the protest, and it was not clear how many of the agency's 4,000 intelligence officers planned to take part.

The head of the DCRI, Bernard Squarcini, said he had resolved the dispute by closing an administrative post in the anti-terror divisions and giving it to a "field-tested officer" from the ranks represented by SNOP.

Bailleul said his union would reject any attempt by agency outsiders to make political capital out of the internal labour dispute, at a time when France is in the midst of a tense presidential election campaign.

President Nicolas Sarkozy, who is running for re-election, made it a priority to reform the DCRI, which his government set up as a merger of the former DST domestic security service and RG political police.

But he has also been criticised for allegedly being too close to Squarcini, who is under judicial investigation over allegations he illegally ordered surveillance on a journalist from Le Monde newspaper.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/French+spies+stage+labour+protest/6301582/story.html

troops have their defenders, but who will stand up for the spooks
i bet at least one trot group will protest in their favour
*shakes fist at air*

TROTS!!!

Union secretary general Jean-Marc Bailleul said his members were protesting "human resources management" at the spy agency, and in particular the recent naming of a senior administrator to a post normally held by a field agent.

i.e. they're afraid they won't have someone covering up their lawbreaking

Cycloneboy posted:
*shakes fist at air*

TROTS!!!

fuck trots to hell.

That's real strange, how many o them boys gonna go on some surveillance lists for labour activity? What a strange world.. *so pomo siren gently alights*
It was always hilarious to read newsletters for the UPS "pilots" """""union""""" at work that talked about people being 'tossed out on the street' by management or whatever. Toss yourselves out of the freakin plane into some gross weather and make 9.09 per hour you fucks. Sorry. I'm sorry. I'll control myself.

stegosaurus posted:
It was always hilarious to read newsletters for the UPS "pilots" """""union""""" at work that talked about people being 'tossed out on the street' by management or whatever. Toss yourselves out of the freakin plane into some gross weather and make 9.09 per hour you fucks. Sorry. I'm sorry. I'll control myself.

that hate amerikkka beat

ez2dance2

lovin this goin p0stal gimmick
my childran need wiine!

stegosaurus posted:

fu trot

I don't actually know what a modern trot is except that lf hates them.
between a canter and a gallop really
So what's everyone's take on these killings in southern France. First of the Troops outside their base and then of Jewish kids outside a school?

Seems like good news for Le Pen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/19/toulouse-school-shooting-manhunt-killer

e shot dead Jonathan Sandler, a 30-year-old French-Israeli rabbi who had recently joined the staff to teach Yiddish, and Sandler's two sons, aged six and three. Then he stepped over the bodies and chased children into the school courtyard where witnesses said he pursued a child, the 10-year-old daughter of the principal, grabbed her by the hair, pulled her to him and shot her at close range.

"My sons saw the bodies, there was blood everywhere," said Guedj as she stood crying, face contorted in horror, outside the school. "My son was saying, 'We were praying, Mum, but our prayers didn't work.' "

let's send that kid some dawkins
He's probably a genuine Anti-Semite. Judging by the fact that he Killed Jews.
seems like another breivek type neonazi
yep that rhizome is spreading, unsurprisingly

shennong posted:
between a canter and a gallop really

Actually a canter and a gallop are normally faster than a trot, it would really be between an walk and a canter, or an amble and a canter. I know because I'm intimate with several horsey riders

Why is it that public sector unions are always the last to be busted? Something to do with the state not being able to send goons to break up a picket if the state didn't come to work?

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
So what's everyone's take on these killings in southern France. First of the Troops outside their base and then of Jewish kids outside a school?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/19/toulouse-school-shooting-manhunt-killer

e shot dead Jonathan Sandler, a 30-year-old French-Israeli rabbi who had recently joined the staff to teach Yiddish, and Sandler's two sons, aged six and three. Then he stepped over the bodies and chased children into the school courtyard where witnesses said he pursued a child, the 10-year-old daughter of the principal, grabbed her by the hair, pulled her to him and shot her at close range.

"My sons saw the bodies, there was blood everywhere," said Guedj as she stood crying, face contorted in horror, outside the school. "My son was saying, 'We were praying, Mum, but our prayers didn't work.' "

Judging by the official response that they're looking for both a muslim and a neo nazi type, I'd guess it is a neo nazi former army man. When rhetoric about those groups gets super inflamed, one of those guys always seems to take it on himself to save the country by killing 4 of the dark menacers. The killings don't have the spectacle you'd associate with a muslim terrorist action, especially within france.

The successful muslim terrorist plots within france have been algerian anti france metro bombing/cathedral bombing/ plane hijacking/ stuff. There have been successfully interrupted plots that relied on guns and scooters before, but I'm not sure if they were real or FBI style IRAN HIRES CARTEL HITMAN TO KILL SAUDI AMBASSADOR USING DIRTY BOMB AND STINGER MISSILE stuff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/20/toulouse-gunman-may-filmed-shootingd

The gunman who killed a rabbi and three children at a Jewish school in Toulouse on Monday was wearing a small video camera around his neck and may have filmed the attack, according to the French interior minister.

Claude Guéant said the attacker was wearing "a kind of filming apparatus" on his chest when he struck just before 8am and opened fire on children and adults outside the school. Asked whether the gunman recorded the scene, he said: "We can imagine that."

Guéant said on Tuesday that authorities were combing the internet to see if the killer had posted a video online, but had not yet found any traces.

Youtube Terror comes to Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2SWWDt8Wg&feature=g-all-u&context=G2b6cd65FAAAAAAAAHAA have you guys seen helmet cam combat footage from afghanistan and iraq? it's great
would it be anti-semitic to ask malcolm gladwell what hair conditioner he uses

Myfanwy posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Judging by the official response that they're looking for both a muslim and a neo nazi type, I'd guess it is a neo nazi former army man. When rhetoric about those groups gets super inflamed, one of those guys always seems to take it on himself to save the country by killing 4 of the dark menacers. The killings don't have the spectacle you'd associate with a muslim terrorist action, especially within france.

The successful muslim terrorist plots within france have been algerian anti france metro bombing/cathedral bombing/ plane hijacking/ stuff. There have been successfully interrupted plots that relied on guns and scooters before, but I'm not sure if they were real or FBI style IRAN HIRES CARTEL HITMAN TO KILL SAUDI AMBASSADOR USING DIRTY BOMB AND STINGER MISSILE stuff

nah it turns out, predictably enough, it was muslims after all. what a surprise

(Reuters) - Two French police officers were injured in a shoot-out during a raid on a house in Toulouse on Wednesday to arrest suspects in the killings of three children and a rabbi at a Jewish school in southwest France this week, a police source said.

The source said the raid began at 3:00 a.m. local time (10.00 pm EDT) and was ongoing, but did not provide further details.

French news channel BFM TV said the suspects were linked to an Islamist group which it identified as Forsane Alizza. BFM said police were negotiating with a 24-year-old man inside the house.

Reuters witnesses at the scene heard several shots at about 0440 GMT (12.40 am EDT).

Heavily armed police in bullet-proof vests and helmets cordoned off the residential area where the raid was taking place, in a leafy suburb close to the Ozar Hatorah Jewish school where Monday's shootings took place.

Emergency services were also at the scene, but there were no visible signs of an ongoing siege.

Authorities believe that the gunman in Monday's school shooting was the same person responsible for killing three soldiers of North African origin in two shootings last week in Toulouse and the nearby town of Montauban.

A third soldier, of Caribbean origin, remains in a coma.

The same Colt 45 handgun was used in all three attacks and in each case the gunman arrived on a Yamaha scooter with his face hidden by a motorcycle helmet.

The killings come just five weeks before the first round of France's presidential elections in which immigration and Islam have been major themes as President Nicolas Sarkozy seeks to win over voters from far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

damn i didnt know they had guns in europe. wtf...
It was pretty obvious, what kind of self-aware fascist in Europe these days would find Jews a bigger threat than muslims?
Those on the Zionist far right who deliberately and systematically attempt to foment hatred of Muslims, are always in danger of at the same time promoting antisemitism. The same resentments, the same sordid politics and racist rhetoric, come into play for both. Sarkozy, by dirtying the Gaullist tradition with Le-Pen-iste rhetoric, is creating an atmosphere of intolerance in France that may not be entirely unrelated to the murders of innocent children and a man of God in Toulouse.
How is it the same resentments?

Muslims in France are an unemployed underclass, that's very different to the position the Jews were in before WW2.

If we're thinking like a Euro-fascist: Why would I care about Jews? They are not the ones changing the face and character of my beloved Gaul.

Remember, Breivik admired Israel.
It is in this hothouse atmosphere where it is being alleged that some French (non-Catholics, non-Gaulois) are less French than others, and are, indeed, undesirables within the French body politic, that the brutal murders of Jews outside Ozar ha-Torah in Toulouse took place.
There's "undesirables" in every body politics, but they are specific to a time and place.

‘Jews that support multiculturalism today are as much of a threat to Israel and Zionism (Israeli nationalism) as they are to us. So let us fight together with Israel, with our Zionist brothers against all anti-Zionists, against all cultural Marxists/multi-culturalists.

“So, are the current Jews in Europe and US disloyal? The multi-culturalist (nation-wrecking Jews) ARE, while the conservative Jews ARE NOT. Approx. 75% of European/US Jews support multi-culturalism while approx. 50% of Israeli Jews does the same. This shows very clearly that we must embrace the remaining loyal Jews as brothers rather than repeating the mistake of the NSDAP .”

– Anders Behring Breivik, Norwegian mass murderer, from his 1,518-page manifesto.

I'd say if anything these latest developments let Sarkozy off the hook a bit, perhaps even lends his overblown rhetoric a bit more gravitas.

Immigrants and especially Muslims have been frequent targets of racism and racist rhetoric in French politics. President Nicolas Sarkozy was behind in the polls recently when he made up some ground with some strident rhetoric about too-free immigration inside the European Union. There are, he thundered, “too many foreigners in France.” (Hint: French antisemites view Jews as foreigners). Sarkozy has been accused of legitimating the National Front of his far-right rival Marine Le Pen by essentially stealing some of her anti-immigrant rhetoric. Indeed, he seems to be attracting her supporters.
Sorry i just don't buy the idea that "Jews" are what people are thinking of when French politicians dog-whistle about "foreigners".

Here is Le Pen:

Interviewed by the Israeli daily newspaper Haaretz about the fact that some of her European senior colleagues had formed alliances with, and visited, some Israeli settlers and groups, Marine Le Pen said : "The shared concern about radical Islam explains the relationship... I myself don't understand the idea of continuing to develop the settlements. I consider it a political mistake and would like to make it clear in this context that we must have the right to criticize the policy of the State of Israel – just as we are allowed to criticize any sovereign country – without it being considered anti-Semitism. After all, the National Front has always been Zionistic and always defended Israel's right to exist".

Le Pen also opposed the immigration of French Jews to Israel in response to radical Islam, saying "The Jews of France are Frenchmen, they're at home here, and they must stay here and not emigrate. The country is obligated to provide solutions to the development of radical Islam."

Doesn't sound like someone trying to make capital out of disliking jews to me

The appeal to xenophobia — in the name of laîcité and “Frenchness” — does not lend itself to subtle distinctions. Muslims and religious Jews alike can be targeted as the “other” as long as they remain visible minorities. If they dress, eat, or worship differently, they’re viewed as a threat to French identity. In recent weeks, French President Nicolas Sarkozy
and his prime minister, François Fillon have tried to appeal to the xenophobic far-right in France by calling for Muslims and Jews in France to abandon halal and kosher ritual slaughter.

Of course, even if French Muslims or French Jews of North African descent tries to become invisible, they can still be targets of prejudice. As we’ve found out in the past decade here as well, one does not have to actually be an Arab or a Muslim to attract unwelcome attention (from random bigots or at security checkpoints). It’s enough to look physically like one might be from that part of the world. Those murdered French paratroopers of North African and Caribbean origin weren’t wearing any kind of religious or ethnic garb when they were killed. “Whiteness” — like “Frenchness” — is in the eye of the prejudiced beholder.
I mean, what kind of serious, hateful fascist gets upset about Jews in Europe, seriously? To paraphrase Le Monde's 9/11 headline: "Today we are all rootless cosmopolitains"
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
It was the same gun, and the same scooter, so we are not talking about an Islamist, rather a right-wing extremist, of the Breivik kind.

Why does riding a scooter make him not an Islamist? Especially given these latest developments that suggest it is indeed Islamists they are targeting.

Again: Breivik had no real problem with Jews so i honestly don't know what you're talking about.

im just c/ping shit from a blog. it's funny because you just cant help yourself and are still arguing with the incoherent shit im posting ahahahah
[account deactivated]
i am a true 21st century man