So one of Australia's richest men, a mining magnate who, along with others has been waging war against the government's climate change and mining tax, policies, has come out with this. For reference "The Greens" are our progressive, environmental third party who are in a co-alition with the governing Labor party and have forced their hand and made them pass some unpopular (to rich mining people at least) pro-environment policies.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/cia-threatens-australian-coal-industry-palmer-20120320-1vhi7.html

Mining magnate Clive Palmer has accused the Australian Greens and Queensland environmental campaigners of "treason" in conspiring with US powers to destroy the nation's coal industry.

Mr Palmer was expected to give his response to the passing of the Gillard government's mining tax at a media conference called this afternoon, but the multi-billionaire was concerned only with perceived collusion between the United States' Central Intelligence Agency and the environmental lobby.

Mr Palmer turned his attention to a report by Greenpeace and other anti-coal groups, titled Stopping the Australian Coal Export Boom, which outlined an environmental campaign designed to disrupt and delay the expansion of the industry.

While brandishing a copy of the report this afternoon, Mr Palmer said it was the result of a CIA conspiracy involving the US-based Rockefeller Foundation.

"This is funded by the CIA," he said.

"You only have to go back and read ... the report to the US Congress that sets up the Rockefeller Foundation as a conduit of CIA funding.

"You only have to look at the secret budget which was passed by Congress last year - bigger than our whole national economy - with the CIA to ensure that.

"You only have to read the reports to US Congress where the CIA reported to the president that their role was to ensure the US competitive advantage - that's how you know it's funded by the CIA."

Mr Palmer argued descendants of US oil magnate John Rockefeller had bankrolled the report, in a bid to disrupt and damage the Australian coal industry.

He went on to say that the document confirmed local environmental campaigners, including Lock the Gate Alliance president Drew Hutton and Greens leader Bob Brown, were improperly collaborating with foreign multinationals.

"The Greens have not been providing you with the full information about where their money comes from or what it's about," he said.

"I think the Greens in this upcoming state election ... should resign if they're being funded by an offshore political power.

"It's paramount to treason and something needs to be done about it."
Mr Palmer made little mention of mining tax legislation, passed last night in the Senate, saying he had no concern with it.

"I don't care about any tax. It won't affect my life one way or the other," he said.

Mr Palmer said the controversial tax, which aims to distribute the spoils of Australia's mining boom, would have no affect on his businesses.

"It probably won't cost me anything, because I'm not mining anything that comes under the classification of it. So, you know, it's not something that's worried me," he said.

Mr Palmer said he would not join Australia's third largest iron ore miner, Fortescue Metals, owned by Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest, in mounting a legal challenge.

"Certainly Andrew Forrest has indicated he'll do that - he has major concerns with it, because it affects him, affects his business and affects the ability of his workers," Mr Palmer said.

_________/

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/cia-threatens-australian-coal-industry-palmer-20120320-1vhi7.html#ixzz1pdYPNMwc

Now everyone, including his mates in the right wing Murdoch press, are laughing at him....but I don't know. The CIA did fund the Rockefeller organisation right? And that organisation funds a bunch of environmental groups. To me it makes perfect sense that the CIA (or whoever) would fund these groups to put pressure on other nation's economies and thus ensure continued global supremacy or dominance in certain industries, in this case coal.

Is there any truth to this? Any sources that doesn't come from "jewgreenfascists.com" or whatever? I don't give a shit about Clive Palmer's profit margins but it would be interesting to know what's happening here.

downvoted for reminding me that your country exists and contains people who do & say things.
wow, nice racism.

Anyway I don't really care about the Australian context, I just wanna know to what extent the American government is doing these sorts of things.
CIA funds literally everybody, every side of any given political conflict
im not sure why the rockefellers would need the CIA as a middleman, it seems plausible to me that they'd bankroll an effort to shut down australian coal exports but that particular chain of transmission doesnt make much sense

shennong posted:
im not sure why the rockefellers would need the CIA as a middleman, it seems plausible to me that they'd bankroll an effort to shut down australian coal exports but that particular chain of transmission doesnt make much sense

Well it might not be about company profits but national security. We're the largest exporter of coal in the world and if America gets desperate they might prefer we still all have ours here rather than in buildings in China.

it's possible i guess but i haven't heard anything about the americans being worried about running out of coal any time soon, i think their deposits are two or three times what australia's got, they've also got canadian and columbian coal. those reserve numbers could be juked though, i don't know how reliable they are
theyre building a train track through western washignton to export coal to china
the scale of chinese coal consumption is fucking mindboggling, shanxi is this insane dystopian nightmare of coal boomtowns interspersed with perfectly preserved ming architecture covered in coaldust
How do people get away with owning a country's natural resources in 2012. It seems absurd

blinkandwheeze posted:
downvoted for reminding me that your country exists and contains people who do & say things.

not quite sure if your intent here is to disparage the oppressed australian aborigines or to insinuate that white australians are "people" but either way that's a downvote

liberal democracy is such a sham. it's nothing more than a bunch of oligarchs fighting over scraps of dead labor.
hmm. sounds credible. i certainly wouldn't put it past those devious basturds at The Company.

shennong posted:
it's possible i guess but i haven't heard anything about the americans being worried about running out of coal any time soon, i think their deposits are two or three times what australia's got, they've also got canadian and columbian coal. those reserve numbers could be juked though, i don't know how reliable they are

americans aren't worried about running out of coal because they're short-sighted and because it's politically expedient, not because the possibility poses no significant danger. the stats you hear about two hundred, five hundred years of coal reserves are industry propaganda, absolutely useless because they don't take the annual growth of coal production into account. the official government statistics are something like a hundred years, and in all likelihood the supply issue will start to pose significant challenges well before that time.

uhh yeah im aware that it doesnt make a lot of sense to express recoverable reserves in terms of years of production.

if we leave aside the garbage coal, wikipedia gives 108 501 E 6 metric tons of bituminous and anthracite recoverable in the US. EPA gives ~2 metric tons CO2 emitted per metric ton coal burned, so that's about 200 thousand megatonnes of CO2 emittable in the US alone. 2 thousand megatonnes CO2 is about 1ppm increase, so the recoverable US reserves are good for 100ppm looking at CO2 alone and ignoring other gasses. 100 ppm emissions from US coal alongside all the oil that's being burnt is enough to end the holocene and kill us all, so no there's no reasonable danger of the US running out of coal before the extinction of humanity if those reserve figures are halfway accurate

shennong posted:
uhh yeah im aware that it doesnt make a lot of sense to express recoverable reserves in terms of years of production.

if we leave aside the garbage coal, wikipedia gives 108 501 E 6 metric tons of bituminous and anthracite recoverable in the US. EPA gives ~2 metric tons CO2 emitted per metric ton coal burned, so that's about 200 thousand megatonnes of CO2 emittable in the US alone. 2 thousand megatonnes CO2 is about 1ppm increase, so the recoverable US reserves are good for 100ppm looking at CO2 alone and ignoring other gasses. 100 ppm emissions from US coal alongside all the oil that's being burnt is enough to end the holocene and kill us all, so no there's no reasonable danger of the US running out of coal before the extinction of humanity if those reserve figures are halfway accurate

that just seems like another reason the US has no practical way tap these particular resources, (there are others, too, like the fact that a good third of those reserves are in the arctic and there's no infrastructure to capture them). though what you're talking about here is almost certainly going to happen anyway, assuming there's no massive, unprecedented reversal in global energy policy.

huh? the vast majority of american coal reserves are in montana, illinois, west virginia, wyoming, etc. less than 1% are in alaska. anyway even if that's the case, it still doesnt provide a rationale for the USG to intercede in australian export activity in order to have more available for export to the US later. makes more sense that they'd rather PRC be buying American coal rather than Aus for as long as we've got
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:
liberal democracy is such a sham. it's nothing more than a bunch of oligarchs fighting over scraps of dead labor.

actually that's you you're thinking of.

the illest oligarch

shennong posted:

also, laughing out loud at this because it's undoubtedly what's going to happen. americans are literally killing themselves on the daily via fast food, there's no way they would stop indirectly killing themselves with over consumption when it will first directly result in death and carnage to everyone else first before themselves.

"did i do that" - obese steve urkel shrugging his shoulders as half the world's population dies of drought

[account deactivated]
fast food fuckign rules i mean have you HAD a crispy chicken sandwich? how about sonic? sonic is the shit.
mods?
mods? i am the mods. tahts a probation.
[account deactivated]