[account deactivated]
first post
the P is for Player

samuel player huntington

don't hate the player, hate the clash of civilizations
political science is an absolutely bankrupt field of study, way more than psychology or economics
[account deactivated]
i have an MA in political science and it was the dumbest thing ever and i have no idea what political science is
[account deactivated]
every political scientist stands there all post-ideological and then explains how complex world issues actually happen, through a lens derived from whatever school your advisor subscribed to

Groulxsmith posted:
political science is an absolutely bankrupt field of study, way more than psychology or economics

a guy i know told me that for political risk studies they have like a huge table of points with things like "leader wears a military uniform in public" and such, which is used for estimating what chance your mining operation will get shut down or nationalized or whatever. imagine how ideological that sort of thing is. like "hmm peasants getting poisoned has a 14% chance of creating risk"

then sometimes they will try to be like the more serious social sciences

look at us, being empirical

you put aside any objections implied by doing that in the first place and you recognize modelling errors a second-year business major in a stats class could spot

getfiscal posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

a guy i know told me that for political risk studies they have like a huge table of points with things like "leader wears a military uniform in public" and such, which is used for estimating what chance your mining operation will get shut down or nationalized or whatever. imagine how ideological that sort of thing is. like "hmm peasants getting poisoned has a 14% chance of creating risk"

lol see

i once heard a professor talking about how alexander wendt was working on an exciting project tying together quantum theory and whatever hackneyed international relations garbage he is publishing
How many university slots exist teaching silly pretend things like political science and thomas friedman economics? It will all eventually be thought of like fire temples and divination by scattering rabbit hip bones on top of a barrel. If we please the gods of money by drawing a chart where the arrow keeps going up forever, the money will come to us, in a sort of shoemaker and the elves style
i am majoring in thomas friedman economics
it's not the peculiar logic of an individual society though, it's the logic of universalized domination
lmao i once saw an honest to god attempt at a geopolitical bifurcation diagram in a paper once; it had lines and points of stability labeled "confucian-islamic axis" and god knows what all. someone find it. it's the funniest thing ever
the funny thing about economics is theres just the prevailing neoliberal ideology and its critique. thats it. the wrong thing and the people who point out that its wrong.
What

Groulxsmith posted:

thanks for the good info, weirdo autistic guy who claims to have worked in speculative finance.

going to change my degree to an MBA after hearing this scathing revelation

babyfinland posted:
the funny thing about economics is theres just the prevailing neoliberal ideology and its critique. thats it. the wrong thing and the people who point out that its wrong.

its dialectics baby

[account deactivated]
im the confucian islamic connection
"the democratic-communist relationship won't stand in the way of the islamic force" - sam huntingdon
[account deactivated]
sampy humpingdogs

discipline posted:

babyfinland posted:

Read a book tom

specifically: Read the Quran.

Catholicism is probably the most unifying religion possible
my favorite confucian-islamic connection was that eunuch sailor guy
Huntington was right though, more so than any of this Marxist historical dialectic nonsense.

Race burns class homies, and when people think of culture they start reaching for their guns
confucian-islamic connections
muslims, meet confucian women who are looking for love
meet hawt confuzns now ^_^
Schwarzafrica lol
the hunt considers greece part of russia's sphere of power because they are both "orthodox" which is umm i dunno.
the countries in southeast asia that that map ignores are only i guess a few hundred million people so they don't count as civilizations.

not a civilization unless you're wearing some sort of prussian uniform.

getfiscal posted:
the hunt considers greece part of russia's sphere of power because they are both "orthodox" which is umm i dunno.

its obvious, switch to religion mapmode in europa universalis and all becomes clear.

alright here's mine

hey you forgot most of canada

gyrofry posted:
hey you forgot most of canada

who doesn't?

oh um, Iceland is overun by Jews who fled Eurabia.