i finished reading the newest pynchon novel set in sept 11 2001 new york. it was alright. for a dude in his late 70s when he wrote it hes still pretty hip.

now i'm reading asimov again for the first time in more than a decade and he still owns.
im read ing the blurb of wesley snipes new novel, talon of god

The acclaimed actor makes his fiction debut with this enthralling urban fantasy in which a holy warrior must convince a doctor with no faith to help stop a powerful demon and his minions from succeeding in creating hell on earth—a thrilling adventure of science and faith, good and evil, damnation and salvation.

i did not see this coming

[account deactivated]
i didn't think anyone apart from the idealist sections of the IMCLPOs still took sendoro luminoso seriously
the history of how a tiny maoist party burning ballots in ayachuco grew into peoples war that engulfed the entire country right to the gates of lima owns immensely, just my opinion though
[account deactivated]
comparing people's war in peru to that of the philippines or india is misleading in a lot of ways because people's war in the latter cases have been discontinuous and iterative, marked by just as significant failures. both india and the philippines have seen catastrophic collapse or diminution of their primary party organisations. south east asian counterinsurgency efforts were being paraded as universally victorious prior to the turn of the millennium, it wasn't long ago when both movements were discussed with the same tone as sendero are currently resigned to. the current vitality of people's war in india and the philippines are the product of decades worth of protracted and iterative reconstruction and recomposition demanded by huge organisational failures

the same standards which would attribute a total failure to the development of maoism in peru would have written off what we now see as preferable models at various points in their history. gonzalo was unquestionably and clearly more successful than any of the comparably foundational leadership surrounding naxalbari

i mean ultimately the current vitality of people's war outside peru are basically relative to their own organisational histories. as significant as they are, neither of them approach the relative political strength that the development of the people's war in peru did at its height. let alone reaching near that point in similar positions within their own timelines of armed struggle

the pcp were the single largest political organisation in peru prior to their collapse. at their height, membership in the pcp was estimated at 60-110,000, achieving progressive growth rates in spite of casualties in the tens of thousands, with political sympathisers reported in the millions. they had an active presence in almost the entirety of the country, in all but 2 of peru's provinces, and were recognised as having de facto control over a third of the country as a whole. a significant number of outside observers and intelligence, as well as even the civilians of peru's urban areas, were convinced of the likelihood of a pcp victory. this is ultimately the most successful effort of maoist organisation internationally and the mark it set has not been reached by efforts elsewhere

for that reason it absolutely needs to be taken seriously. we live in an era of blackest reaction our theoretical models largely have to be the product of relative rather than absolute degrees of practical success, and there are very few figures you could see as comparable to gonzalo in that sense. i vaguely agree that investigating current developments is likely more vital but reading 80s back issues of party journals is going to be nowhere near as useful as reading gonzalo from the same period, unless you're conducting some specific historical investigation.

also gonzalo's theoretical heterodoxy is largely just rhetorical imo and not indicative of any substantial distinction from the views of maoists internationally now or at that time. maoists in india criticised gonzalo's more novel concepts on a formal level but never disputed the content of his theoretical grasp of people's war, it's not comparable to something like prachanda path. the cpi(maoist) and its predecessors have always seen sendero's contribution as hugely informative and significant in terms of deepening their own understanding and application of people's war

i think president gonzalo's poetic mariateguist valorisation of everything is great but obviously unnecessary. of course any western invocation of it is idiotic larping and violence fetishisation however.
Mentioning Chairman gonzalo is a bat signal to me
Why do you think they collapsed?
i read a collection of Martha Gellhorn's war writings, which is probably the pinacle of liberal war journalism, she's a very good writer. lots of good stuff except for a blind spot the size of the sun about israel

babyhueypnewton posted:

Why do you think they collapsed?

mostly the policy of relocating political leadership to urban centres alongside the military advancement from the countryside. this was an insane security risk which led to the capture of a huge number of key organisational figures in the absence of protection offered by revolutionary base areas. obviously president gonzalo was a victim of this decision. the crisis of leadership caused a stagnation and decline in military advance and the incarcerated leadership forwarded a line of advocating peace accords in order for a new party congress could be organised. no agreement with the state was reached but the fujimori dictatorship publicised such efforts in order to undermine the perpetuation of armed struggle

this led to a factional split where sectors of the party either advocated for a political solution of amnesty for political prisoners or continued to advance the military solution. the militant line however also faced internal struggle between factions those who accepted the legitimacy of the effort toward peace talks and pursued military action a response to their failure, those who accepted the authenticity of the peace effort but as a response rejected previous leadership as traitors, and those who regarded the peace effort as inauthentic and either hoax or the product of duress. this political crisis occurred in the face of a continued genocidal counterinsurgency campaign so the remaining strands were just further picked off and decimated

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Idk how but clippy was definitely a dude. Was it the eyes? The proportions of the clip?
[account deactivated]
wait... maybe the eyes should be the balls
[account deactivated]
Computers should always be sexy women who help us out but aren't afraid to mess around and be sassy too.... sometimes that's just what men need to get them into a good headspace.
So if clippy (eyes on a paperclip with no voice) was too male but it's also not women friendly for your computer to be a lady what's the option. Like a glowing cube that speaks in a British accented child's voice & slowly rotates between colors (all warm colors but very soft light) . It's 100% manditory that our computers user interface will be exclusively talking to us within 10 years so you gotta pick something folks.
(Watching the movie her) thought this was all really good (especially the pants) except for at the end when it's legal for his computer to break up with him.
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

its annoying that a lot of people seem uncomfortable treating a computer like a mindless servant, on the basis that it is not a sentient human being, because most people treat a lot of human beings like mindless servants

These techno-fetishists are really trying to turn a calculator into a mirror of a human being but in the process turning themselves into mindless calculators. Like no shit "AI is possible" if you train yourself to have the brain of a rodent and a simple Thumbs Up icon with a count number next to it gives you a jolt of serotonin. I have been actively avoiding reading anything about it because i think it's a massive "co intel pro" emphasis on the Intel. Any decent psychologist is probably shitting themselves at the prospect of how much a generation raised on instagram is capable of being manipulated into any mindset The Babysitter promotes on everyones thought feed

Edited by parabolart ()

roseweird posted:

its annoying that a lot of people seem uncomfortable treating a computer like a mindless servant, on the basis that it is not a sentient human being, because most people treat a lot of human beings like mindless servants

i feel bad for clippy "two balls". all he wanted to do was help and then he was forced into a sex change operation and people still hated xhim.

computers have to be the Red Queen from the blockbuster cultural phenomenon Resident Evil.
RED QUEEN: You're all going to die down here.
long interview in lieu of autobio, very insidery

Lukács discusses his experiences during the years of World War I, the Russian Revolution, and the short-lived Hungarian Soviet Republic

Int: Comrade Lukács, I think that a long time ago, even before 1956, you told the story that you always visited the kitchens at the front.

G.L.: On my regular trips, I would stop the car two or three kilometres from the front, conceal it behind a convenient bush and appear unexpectedly among the troops. I always make a bee-line for the kitchen and made them give me whatever they were cooking. The cooks were always terrified of me: since they could never be sure when I would turn up in the kitchen, they were never able to cover things up.

Int: At divisional level that is the practical consequence of materialism; you have to start in the kitchen.

G.L.: Two things were uppermost in the minds of the men. One was the kitchen, the other was the mail, I did not think myself an outstanding military organizer, but on these two points I made sure that everything worked properly throughout the division. The soldiers were given decent food and their letters arrived every day.

the communists joined a whole series of units as political commissars. I volunteered for this job and was sent to Tiszafüred, where we found ourselves on the defensive. The defence of Tiszafüred had been grossly mismanaged because the Budapest Red Army units ran away without firing a shot. The two other battalions, who would have been willing to defend Tiszafüred, were thus unable to maintain their positions, so that the Romanians penetrated their lines and Tiszafüred fell. I set about restoring order as energetically as I could. That is to say, when we crossed the river to Poroszló, I set up a court-martial and had eight men belonging to the battalion that had run away in panic shot in the market-place. By these means I more or less managed to restore order.

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/3283-georg-lukacs-during-war-and-revolution

yeah i remember that scene from Empire Strikes Back
HAL9000: What is it like to have balls, Dave?
i like how appropriate it is to the gender

Bob: You see, I'm everything, hun. I can everything. And I'm everything else, too. Period.
Alice: Your balls mean nothing to me (echo) to me... to me... to me....
blessed be
been reading & thinking lately about how the Atlanta bridge collapse in March would be a national Democrat-targeted story about state priorities in spending, except now it's a criminal prosecution of homeless sheltering next to a highway instead of a tale about Infrastructure, so the stories are puff pieces about the concrete company that was hired to fix it
[account deactivated]
rare getfiscals itt

[account deactivated]
"Sensible policy reforms help make social contradictions apparent by demonstrating that the ruling class requires exploitation and repression to continue to rule"

What are some examples of how this plays out with specific policies?
[account deactivated]

glomper_stomper posted:

that looks like a getfiscal sincerepost but also like an extremely refined parody of a getfiscal sincerepost

i feel a parody probably wouldn't miss ending the post with an absurd facetious claim so it can close on a getfiscal brand joke, an objective winner of a technique