3d printing is a lot like social media, in that I list it on my resume
really though, you guys remember in victoria when you research mechanical production and your money shoots off al crazy?

And then you get interchangable parts and it does maybe half that?

Well this whole business, it should be called something like like 'universal coupling'
3d printing is the red herring, whats really important from all that is the largescale adoption and integration of industrial computer control.

its just soo beautiful
hey heres a shotgun you can make out of two pieces of pipe and fire as many times as you want

cheaper, easier, deadlier. but abloo futurism
3d printing is proof we need a strong church to halt the spread of socially destructive technology
roseweird is being rly earnest atm but i have Faith she will mature into a non-awful poster. or do a mustang19 and turn into a boring trans supremacist gimmick. or the new Being Nice crew will take over rhizzone and in two months it'll just be webcomics and sadbrainschat and people inarticulately raging about privilege
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
actually the tree of rhizzone must be refreshed from time to time by the posts of trolls and earnest posters (like roseweird)
There are only the sincere, the ironic, the busy and the tired.

deadken posted:

roseweird is being rly earnest atm but i have Faith she will mature into a non-awful poster. or do a mustang19 and turn into a boring trans supremacist gimmick. or the new Being Nice crew will take over rhizzone and in two months it'll just be webcomics and sadbrainschat and people inarticulately raging about privilege

ken seems really threatened by an actual good poster. or maybe the rhizzone itself is threatened and kens pained wails are the rhizzone's natural defenses manifesting themselves

Goethestein posted:

hey heres a shotgun you can make out of two pieces of pipe and fire as many times as you want

cheaper, easier, deadlier. but abloo futurism

those without Jobs need to git makin Guns for the Revolution, imo

deadken posted:

it works same as first day in prison, roseweird - you need to start a fight with the Badass alphas here in order to gain Respect as a goodposter

[account deactivated]
cody wilsonm looks liek hes had a little too much mdma
didn't read thread

home & hobby CNC milling rigs have been around forever. for years now, CNC geeks have been able to use computers and hobbyist equipment to manufacture pretty much anything they want in their basements. including a whole arsenal of assault rifles, if they don't give a shit about laws

but internet nerds don't care about CNC milling because it sounds like work or like something those guys who took metal shop were into

a "3d printer," now, that sounds simultaneously approachable and futuristic to the average tech blog aficionado. like a star trek replicator, don't you get it man

Edited by slumlord ()

roseweird posted:

deadken posted:

trans supremacist

my political philosophy mostly consists in waiting for genderless aliens to destroy and replace humanity

we had one of those but then he left

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=43519
[account deactivated]

Edited by ArisVelouchiotis ()

that guys cool

slumlord posted:

didn't read thread

home & hobby CNC milling rigs have been around forever. for years now, CNC geeks have been able to use computers and hobbyist equipment to manufacture pretty much anything they want in their basements. including a whole arsenal of assault rifles, if they don't give a shit about laws

but internet nerds don't care about CNC milling because it sounds like work or like something those guys who took metal shop were into

a "3d printer," now, that sounds simultaneously approachable and futuristic to the average tech blog aficionado. like a star trek replicator, don't you get it man

CNC machines are nowhere near affordable for a hobbyist.

we've exhausted all potential trolls, now earnestness is the only thing left that shocks us
CNC machines can make things out of metal though, which increases their utility tenfold
let slip the dogs of niggerdeath and cry 'spring fyad'
i don't throw this word around a lot but nerds have a seriously religious approach to technology. slumlord is right that they think this shit is going to turn into a replicator. it is a thing that melts plastic and turns it into stuff slowly. no matter how fast or detailed or complex the plastic crap it produces is, it is still made of plastic. switching from melting plastic to farting out ready-made matter isn't like throwing more transistors into a computer.

my favorite examples of dogged nerd technology worship are robotics and medical research. over the years we've dumped probably tens of billions of dollars and god alone knows how many man-hours into curing HIV, and it's still not cured. then they whine that it's a hard problem. well, yes, it is a hard problem, that's the point, physical reality exists regardless of how much atheist chi you throw at it. robotics are the best because robotics are garbage that haven't improved in 30 years. the technology allowing for the flying of military drones existed 40 years ago, the reason they exist today is that we have the communications infrastructure to control them remotely. the most capable autonomous robot in the world is worse than an ant with brain damage. they drive into walls and sit there, tip over, run out of juice in half an hour. and that's been true for decades
uh have you seen BigDog? the robot cheetah??? nuke them from or bit imo!!!
[account deactivated]
in terms of actual labour-time isn't 3d printing actually a lot more time-consuming than mass production? isn't it less liberation from the economy than the factory taking up residence in our homes?

littlegreenpills posted:

we've exhausted all potential trolls, now earnestness is the only thing left that shocks us

but all trolls have not yet been put together in all possible relationships

Goethestein posted:

i don't throw this word around a lot but nerds have a seriously religious approach to technology. slumlord is right that they think this shit is going to turn into a replicator. it is a thing that melts plastic and turns it into stuff slowly. no matter how fast or detailed or complex the plastic crap it produces is, it is still made of plastic. switching from melting plastic to farting out ready-made matter isn't like throwing more transistors into a computer.

my favorite examples of dogged nerd technology worship are robotics and medical research. over the years we've dumped probably tens of billions of dollars and god alone knows how many man-hours into curing HIV, and it's still not cured. then they whine that it's a hard problem. well, yes, it is a hard problem, that's the point, physical reality exists regardless of how much atheist chi you throw at it. robotics are the best because robotics are garbage that haven't improved in 30 years. the technology allowing for the flying of military drones existed 40 years ago, the reason they exist today is that we have the communications infrastructure to control them remotely. the most capable autonomous robot in the world is worse than an ant with brain damage. they drive into walls and sit there, tip over, run out of juice in half an hour. and that's been true for decades

i have some friends in robotics and theyre actually making pretty incredible mechanical leaps even today

that would make sense if you imagine an itunes-like system of DRM protected 3d printer blueprint files, but that's not a given. the main reason 3d printers are bad is still because they only make stuff out of shitty plastic

VoxNihili posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

but all trolls have not yet been put together in all possible relationships

agreed, and reddit provides an endless abundance of new and exciting troll possibilities

im trolling reddit now
good
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Goethestein posted:

actually it's just really cool to see Big Dog get kicked onto a patch of ice or a robot snake swim in a pool

deadken posted:

in terms of actual labour-time isn't 3d printing actually a lot more time-consuming than mass production? isn't it less liberation from the economy than the factory taking up residence in our homes?

i keep saying that a neighbourhood machine shop would let you mass produce a Lot more

When automobiles were first invented they were significantly slower, less reliable, and more expensive than horses.
thats a fucking terrible analogy