He speaks excellent German, if with a heavy accent. He made the host pronounce the full title of his book "IN the north a mountain, in the south a lake, in the west paths, in the east a river" because it's "bad luck", as László Krasznahorkai said with a mischievous twinkle in his eye, to abbreviate the title. He read a wonderful story from his next book, a story about a bird and laughed at the host who assumed the bird was a symbol. "NO, the bird is just a bird. I saw it. It shat on my jacket. Believe me, a real bird." only to claim later, in a discussion of the 'lack of historical depth' as the questioner put it, that the bird was a symbol for resistance. Grinning mischievously. Asked whether he liked his translations, unlike Kertesz, seeing as hungarian is an awfully hard to translate language, he said: yes. The translations (in German) are very well done pieces of literature. Whenever he reads them he's delighted by the beauty of the writing. Itäs just, that they do not reflect his writing at all. Neither do the english or french translation manage that. "I don't believe in translation. Zero komma zero zero per cent.", his translators, while writing great texts, do not in any way reflect the tone, voice or rhythm of his style. He says that he regards translations as work inspired by his writing.

Impper talks about this guy sometimes but he seems to have drastically mischaracterized him in such a way that's put me off. He said that he is severely "reactionary" and "hates everyone" including the common Hungarian people he depicts in his novels, the oppressed as wretched and terrible, no better than their oppressors. I should have known that Impper views everyone in this way and that this isn't really accurate. Anyway my point wasn't to tell off Impper so much as to express interest in this writer who's unfairly been off my radar

From the introduction of this Interview:

Krasznahorkai's unfolding career inspired a monograph, volumes of criticism, and analytic papers. While, in Germany, his reception has been unanimous and evenly pitched; at home, the oeuvre still invites ambivalent attitudes. It is as though this milieu were unable to digest or integrate such writing. They can neither swallow it nor spit it out – the grandeur is clearly palpable, but people do not seem to know what to do with it. It is too big a bite. László Krasznahorkai is not a fashionable writer, this is for sure. He is marching directly against what the age is about, that literature should become part of the entertainment industry. He is failing to adapt smoothly to what is going on. In this sense, he is truly anachronistic. His art is powerfully pitted against any intention to skim through life laughing or just sticking it out as best you can without taking any particular risk. It goes against the idea that reading should be a light pleasure. Although his cult is living and his camp is large, his fans and readers feel like members of a secret brotherhood. Reveal that you value this writing, and you get smacked.

Krasznahorkai's heroes move according to different rhythms and different patterns. Lonely and doomed to failure, they are fanatics of tact, compassion, goodwill, empathy, humility, a perfect beauty never glimpsed. They are fanatics of unattainable harmony and inner peace. The only meaning of their existence is the search itself. Although everything around them says that there is no such thing, it is impossible, it is useless, they never doubt for a moment that the lost country still exists somewhere. This is why the dark tones, the gloomy world, and the classicist structure of these novels. Their solid, arched sentences have an elemental power to uphold what is “actually nothing more than the simple faith that the tradition still exists, that this tradition is based on observation, repetition, and respecting the inner order of nature and the way things are. That the meaning or purity of this tradition is above all doubt.”

Q: The way you see things, the way you write, all that you state here really stems from one common root and points in one unified direction. In the midst of this, are you ever granted “moments of grace”?

A: Let me reply to that by telling you a story. Mihály Vig and I were walking along a street in Pécs together, and I was complaining to him that young people today are so terribly far removed from anything spiritual and intellectual. I said that when I was young, there was at least a handful of us who used to read, compose music, or paint pictures. In other words, we were thinking beings and were possessed by a search for something, which connected us. I was saying that this seems to have died out. To this, Mihály said to me that he thought I was wrong – the people I am thinking of still exist in the same numbers today, but they are not visible. And, pointing up at the windows there, that evening at Pécs, he asked me, “How do you know there is not one sitting up there right now? It is just that they don't want to meet you as an ‘author’. They are busy. They cannot bear this world and are in some way testing a different one. Perhaps by creating something. Perhaps they are just sad and that's why they can't come. And that sadness will lead to something. To another gap for seeing out of the intolerable through to the tolerable. Or,” said Mihály, “he or she is sitting up there alone, reading your book, of all people's.”

http://www.hlo.hu/news/there_isn_t_anything_anywhere_any_more

First chapter of War & War is available online. I've been trying to find ebooks of his stuff and haven't been able to even legitimately on Amazon

Nobody asked him to speak, only that he should hand over his money, but he didn't, saying he had none, and carried on speaking, hesitantly at first, then more fluently, and finally continuously and unstoppably, because the eyes of the seven children had plainly scared him, or, as he himself put it, his stomach had turned in fear, and, as he said, once his stomach was gripped by fear he absolutely had to speak, and furthermore, since the fear had not passed - after all, how could he know whether they were carrying weapons or not - he grew ever more absorbed in his speech, or rather he became ever more absorbed by the idea of telling them everything from beginning to end, of telling someone in any case, because, from the time that he had set out in secret, at the last possible moment, to embark on his "great journey" as he called it, he had not exchanged a word, not a single word, with anyone, considering it too dangerous, though there were few enough people he could engage in conversation in any case, since he hadn't so far met anybody sufficiently harmless, nobody, at least, of whom he was not wary, because in fact there really was nobody harmless enough, which meant he had to be wary of everyone, because, as he had said at the beginning, whoever it was he set eyes on it was the same thing he saw, a figure, that is, who, directly or indirectly, was in contact with those who pursued him, someone related intimately or distantly, but most certainly related, to those who, according to him, kept tabs on his every move, and it was only the speed of his movements, as he later explained, that kept him "at least half a day" ahead of them, though these gains were specific to places and occasions: so he had not said a word to anyone, and only did so now because fear drove him, because it was only under the natural pressure of fear that he ventured into these most important areas of his life, venturing deeper and deeper still, offering them ever more profound glimpses of it in order to defeat them, to make them face him so that he might purge his assailants of the tendency to assail, so he should convince all seven of them that someone had not only given himself up to them, but, with his giving, had somehow outflanked them.

http://www.krasznahorkai.hu/war_index.html

The novels are Melancholy of Resistance, War & War, Animalinside. He writes long sentences and they're supposed to be good ones.

voted up for teh imp bashin
short story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jun/15/original-writing-fiction
"melancholy of resistance" is really good, but i also found it pretty exhausting. like, physically, the sentences are really long and hard to follow sometimes, and i'm an idiot. i'm gonna read it again eventually + some of his other stuff.

the film adaptation of melacholy, "werkminster harmonies" is good too, imho, if you're "down" with slow assed bela tarr movies. nice interview link thanks bye
oh ya I wanted to mention that the Béla Tarr films "Sátántangó" and "Werkminster Harmonies" are based on his novels with cooperation with him I believe?

from what I've read, in Hungarian the long sentences are much less burdensome. That's my understanding of Thomas Bernhard's writing in German as well. You can postpone meaning in a sentence without bothering the reader so it lends itself to long sentences.

Q: Although this house in Pilisszentlászló is eminently plausible, one keeps having the notion that you are not at home. I think this is metaphorically perfectly true of your position. I could even go so far as to say that your art is characterised by various degrees of not being at home. Is it possible to be inside something – let us call it Hungarian literature or existence – so that the person is not actually at home the whole time?

A: Naturally, Hungarian literature is not quite the same as existence; but to reply to your question, yes, it is possible. You have to produce works which allow you to do that. And that will guarantee that you are “there” in the literature, even if not in the mind of the literary public – this is what happened to Imre Kertész for decades, to mention just a handy example. But if you had the impression that I am often not at home, this may have to do with the fact that I am really and truly often not at home. This is not because I keep travelling all over the world with a huge Havana sticking out of the corner of my mouth. The reason is, to mention but one, that for my previous book, War and War, I had to study the possible settings. Partly, I had to find out what the ancient boundary of Europe was like and, secondly, what was in its place today. So I had to go to the premises. These were study trips, in the strictest sense of the word, which I covered from various grants, thanks to my Swiss publisher and a few well-meaning friends abroad. But there is another reason for not being at home. Other people must feel this about their own country, but I certainly cannot find my place in Hungary. I often go into exile wherever I can, from America to East Asia, just to make sure I am not here. Literally, I will go anywhere just to make sure I don't have to be at home. Of course, the end result is that when I go to a place like this, I usually return shattered, disappointed, and disillusioned. Because there is no place on earth from which a guy like me would not return shattered, disappointed, and disillusioned. What is worse, it means that our yearnings have no meaning anymore. Bit by bit, after many years of unwilling wanderings, I am getting to be convinced there is no place worth yearning for. There isn't anything anywhere anymore. So there is a negative attraction at home and a positive push of repulsion abroad.

And if all of this sounds like a recent development in my life, I must add instantly, it is not only now I cannot find my place at home. I never could, even before. I was born into a predicament and a country where a person accursed with a heightened aesthetic and moral sensitivity like me simply cannot survive. It is enough to have an oversensitive and vulnerable person on one side, and the brutality of the other side will instantly produce mortal danger. Naturally, there are various strategies to help you survive in some way. I used to drink myself quite drunk whenever I could. I went on doing this until my health suffered so much that I was at risk of becoming a dramatic hero in an age which does not give a shit about drama – in an age which thinks no more of a dramatic ending than the Great Bulldozer thinks about a particular shell as it grinds up tens and tens of thousands of shells while driving along the sea shore speckled with herons drowned in oil. Had it meant anything at all, had it drawn that lethargic attention to anything, had there been one single oversensitive youth to draw strength from such a dramatic ending, I admit I would not have hesitated for a moment to act this role. But it would not mean anything; it would not draw attention to anything and would not restore anybody's strength. After all, they have not even properly inhaled the smoke of the gunpowder from the shotgun that Márai used to kill himself at a safe distance.

It hasn't always been like this. During the years of the dictatorship, the general public would have shown more interest in that gunpowder-smoke. At any rate, I most certainly cannot find my place at the present time. Even the most brilliant of people today tend to take me by the arm and pull me into a quiet corner before they can start telling me that they really and truly appreciate what I am doing... they even give me a naughty wink... but you see, they add, with an even naughtier face, the world has changed and so “this kind of thing” cannot be given the space it really deserves. And then they list the arguments why not. And the awful thing is that in a country which has thrown itself so completely at the feet of the Great Moloch without a single question, so blindly and so willingly, there is no point in even asking the question. To be sure, art is still present in this country. Indeed, the quality is truly high at times. But it is always the kind of art which you can express in cash terms, and for which the artist needs money; because, you see, they are pursued, as if by fate, by the gas bill, the sewage bill, the electricity bill. It would be unfair to say that these artists never resent the way things are. After all, we are talking about some very talented people here. But the trouble is that, along with many others, they think that there is some invincible, unalterable, uncontrollable force at work here which you either submit to or... And at this point they all just stop and never think that they could stop and think. They never consider that perhaps you could paint without a brush, play music without an instrument, and write, not without a PC, but even without a pen, and so forth. Somehow, at a single wave of the devil's hand, everyone has come to believe that you cannot. But let us imagine RIGHT NOW that we find out about a world where there are artists who paint without brushes, make music without instruments, and write without pen and paper. The very thought makes me happy. That this world could be ours, right here and now.

wanted to get some responses to this

babyfinland posted:

i'm just starting to read the OP now, but I just want to point out that when Impper sez " he is severely "reactionary" and "hates everyone" including the common Hungarian people he depicts in his novels, the oppressed as wretched and terrible, no better than their oppressors." he means this as a great compliment.

Please don't mischaracterize my friend......

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

i'm just starting to read the OP now, but I just want to point out that when Impper sez " he is severely "reactionary" and "hates everyone" including the common Hungarian people he depicts in his novels, the oppressed as wretched and terrible, no better than their oppressors." he means this as a great compliment.

Please don't mischaracterize my friend......

oh I know. Impper is a miserable little pervert in that way.

Interesting interview with a translator of his work

http://www.hlo.hu/news/creating_an_animal_english

I do think there is a drive in Krasznahorkai’s prose to push any given hypothetical event to its extreme and ultimate conclusion, as well as a willingness to hold it up to intense and unrelenting psychic scrutiny. For me, this is the most “Hungarian” aspect of his work. There is no Bakhtinian element of carnival here, rather the long sentences force the reader to suspend his or her own consciousness. Krasznahorkai forces the reader into an extremity of otherness, in this case, if you will, the performative “devenir animal” (to quote Gilles Deleuze) of the narrating beast in AnimalInside.

I get the sense that Krasznahorkai is intensely Hungarian but nontheless:

I certainly think there should be a space for a Krasznahorkai-English. As I said, I think contemporary English is infinitely enriched by all the “minor Englishes” out there, and yet English itself, as one of the dominant linguistic paradigms of our age (perhaps not forever though . . .) still needs this injection of “difference.” English is the great normalizer of our time, while many smaller languages of the world are literally fighting for survival (and threatened not just by English) and as such, any crack or fissure where “otherness”—however unfashionable that term may have become—can creep in is, in my view, to be welcomed.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
that's a damn long sentence

thats nothing, some go on for 30 pages

lyle looks like valuska imo
wait, i didn't quite say those things, and if i did, they were hyperbole, or drunk hyperbole, either or. krasz does strike me as a reactionary, and he does have disdain for the common buffoon, but then he does not quite "hate everyone," and if i said that, it was obviously meant as a lie
[account deactivated]
by the way half of that godamn bullshit youre quoteing mischaracterizes the fuck out of the work. listen, i read melancholy of resistanve twice, and animal inside three times, and each time i took a different interpretation, and melancholy was extremely hard to read both times. krasz does something where he gets closer to his characters' psyche than possibly any other writer i've ever seen. the only quote that does any justice to his work that you've posted here is his translator's. also fuck you im drunk

babyfinland posted:
Q: Although this house in Pilisszentlászló is eminently plausible, one keeps having the notion that you are not at home. I think this is metaphorically perfectly true of your position. I could even go so far as to say that your art is characterised by various degrees of not being at home. Is it possible to be inside something – let us call it Hungarian literature or existence – so that the person is not actually at home the whole time?

A: Naturally, Hungarian literature is not quite the same as existence; but to reply to your question, yes, it is possible. You have to produce works which allow you to do that. And that will guarantee that you are “there” in the literature, even if not in the mind of the literary public – this is what happened to Imre Kertész for decades, to mention just a handy example. But if you had the impression that I am often not at home, this may have to do with the fact that I am really and truly often not at home. This is not because I keep travelling all over the world with a huge Havana sticking out of the corner of my mouth. The reason is, to mention but one, that for my previous book, War and War, I had to study the possible settings. Partly, I had to find out what the ancient boundary of Europe was like and, secondly, what was in its place today. So I had to go to the premises. These were study trips, in the strictest sense of the word, which I covered from various grants, thanks to my Swiss publisher and a few well-meaning friends abroad. But there is another reason for not being at home. Other people must feel this about their own country, but I certainly cannot find my place in Hungary. I often go into exile wherever I can, from America to East Asia, just to make sure I am not here. Literally, I will go anywhere just to make sure I don't have to be at home. Of course, the end result is that when I go to a place like this, I usually return shattered, disappointed, and disillusioned. Because there is no place on earth from which a guy like me would not return shattered, disappointed, and disillusioned. What is worse, it means that our yearnings have no meaning anymore. Bit by bit, after many years of unwilling wanderings, I am getting to be convinced there is no place worth yearning for. There isn't anything anywhere anymore. So there is a negative attraction at home and a positive push of repulsion abroad.

And if all of this sounds like a recent development in my life, I must add instantly, it is not only now I cannot find my place at home. I never could, even before. I was born into a predicament and a country where a person accursed with a heightened aesthetic and moral sensitivity like me simply cannot survive. It is enough to have an oversensitive and vulnerable person on one side, and the brutality of the other side will instantly produce mortal danger. Naturally, there are various strategies to help you survive in some way. I used to drink myself quite drunk whenever I could. I went on doing this until my health suffered so much that I was at risk of becoming a dramatic hero in an age which does not give a shit about drama – in an age which thinks no more of a dramatic ending than the Great Bulldozer thinks about a particular shell as it grinds up tens and tens of thousands of shells while driving along the sea shore speckled with herons drowned in oil. Had it meant anything at all, had it drawn that lethargic attention to anything, had there been one single oversensitive youth to draw strength from such a dramatic ending, I admit I would not have hesitated for a moment to act this role. But it would not mean anything; it would not draw attention to anything and would not restore anybody's strength. After all, they have not even properly inhaled the smoke of the gunpowder from the shotgun that Márai used to kill himself at a safe distance.

It hasn't always been like this. During the years of the dictatorship, the general public would have shown more interest in that gunpowder-smoke. At any rate, I most certainly cannot find my place at the present time. Even the most brilliant of people today tend to take me by the arm and pull me into a quiet corner before they can start telling me that they really and truly appreciate what I am doing... they even give me a naughty wink... but you see, they add, with an even naughtier face, the world has changed and so “this kind of thing” cannot be given the space it really deserves. And then they list the arguments why not. And the awful thing is that in a country which has thrown itself so completely at the feet of the Great Moloch without a single question, so blindly and so willingly, there is no point in even asking the question. To be sure, art is still present in this country. Indeed, the quality is truly high at times. But it is always the kind of art which you can express in cash terms, and for which the artist needs money; because, you see, they are pursued, as if by fate, by the gas bill, the sewage bill, the electricity bill. It would be unfair to say that these artists never resent the way things are. After all, we are talking about some very talented people here. But the trouble is that, along with many others, they think that there is some invincible, unalterable, uncontrollable force at work here which you either submit to or... And at this point they all just stop and never think that they could stop and think. They never consider that perhaps you could paint without a brush, play music without an instrument, and write, not without a PC, but even without a pen, and so forth. Somehow, at a single wave of the devil's hand, everyone has come to believe that you cannot. But let us imagine RIGHT NOW that we find out about a world where there are artists who paint without brushes, make music without instruments, and write without pen and paper. The very thought makes me happy. That this world could be ours, right here and now.

wanted to get some responses to this

certum est quia impossibile

this is pretty much exactly how i feel at all times, every single word of this

the point is, in "melancholy<' when krasz envisions an all-destroying circus that comes to town with a retinue of followers whose only mission is to destroy the degenerated town that should not exist and hwich might have never had a purpose, this is an intensely revolutionary view, an intensely discontent view, an intensely disillusioned, discontent, and repudiating view, that flies in the face of society and progress and rejuvenation, and in that sense it is a reactionary view, a destructive view, an angry and even a bitter view; in other words, it is the only view we can have, it is the only view that is necessary and which can make our society livable, if that is even possible. hatred is what we need

Impper posted:
by the way half of that godamn bullshit youre quoteing mischaracterizes the fuck out of the work. listen, i read melancholy of resistanve twice, and animal inside three times, and each time i took a different interpretation, and melancholy was extremely hard to read both times. krasz does something where he gets closer to his characters' psyche than possibly any other writer i've ever seen. the only quote that does any justice to his work that you've posted here is his translator's. also fuck you im drunk

ive not read it, im just posting things ive found online

Impper posted:
the point is, in "melancholy<' when krasz envisions an all-destroying circus that comes to town with a retinue of followers whose only mission is to destroy the degenerated town that should not exist and hwich might have never had a purpose, this is an intensely revolutionary view, an intensely discontent view, an intensely disillusioned, discontent, and repudiating view, that flies in the face of society and progress and rejuvenation, and in that sense it is a reactionary view, a destructive view, an angry and even a bitter view; in other words, it is the only view we can have, it is the only view that is necessary and which can make our society livable, if that is even possible. hatred is what we need

i dont think you know what "reactionary" means brah

i think i do, "brah"
none of the things you put in your post preceding "in that sense it is a reactionary view" are at all reactionary, they are contrary to political reaction
i have no idea what i wrote, but i dont think its unfair to characterize destructive responses to progress as reaction particularly when progress is being advocated by a center. it's not the same motives as the classical forces of reaction, and a similar result is not sought, but all the same
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
reactionary means you react a lot to stuff. if you're just like going around all day and and taking in outside stimuli and totally doing things in reaction to it, you're a reactionary. sorry to say it, but it's true. yeah you wait for a stop light? what happens when it turns green, fucker? you react. you press go. you collect $200. you go to jail. whoops, you were drunk and hit a pederestrian. guess what? that's a reaction too, to the alcohol in your blood. all day everyday, chemical reactions, physical reactions, just fucking reacting to shit and that makes you a reactionary: someone who doesn't go with his or her or its own flow. a slave to the rhythm of life you might say. fuck me

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Will do, and thank you, my friend send my regards to boogervillain, and SnotCommando while you're at it

tpaine posted:
reactionary means you react a lot to stuff. if you're just like going around all day and and taking in outside stimuli and totally doing things in reaction to it, you're a reactionary. sorry to say it, but it's true. yeah you wait for a stop light? what happens when it turns green, fucker? you react. you press go. you collect $200. you go to jail. whoops, you were drunk and hit a pederestrian. guess what? that's a reaction too, to the alcohol in your blood. all day everyday, chemical reactions, physical reactions, just fucking reacting to shit and that makes you a reactionary: someone who doesn't go with his or her or its own flow. a slave to the rhythm of life you might say. fuck me

the t-1488 model possesses a neural-net processor, a learning computer. an exoskeleton comprised of mimetic poly-alloy, capable of embracing any aesthetic that is sampled viscerally. the reactionary can react to any philosophy it touches, but only at a superficial level: a reactionary cannot form complex thoughts, ideas or ideologies - it doesn't work that way. it can form solid metal shapes, harvesting tools; hammers and sickles imprinted onto the basic colors red and black.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
:)

The citizens that populate Satantango are some of the most miserable characters in literature. They make Thomas Bernhard’s monologists (to whom Satantango’s narrative point of view eventually owes a great debt) seem as sentimental as they truly are. By this reviewer’s count, there are only two moments of actual kindness in the book. In one, a bar owner cleans the mud off a drunk cripple. In the other, a boy teaches his mentally retarded sister the best way to commit suicide. (She thinks of it as a type of favor.)

In Satantango, sex is a meaningless act, except as a way to make money or cure boredom. Teenage girls turn tricks in an abandoned factory. A certain Mrs. Schmidt (her beauty, in a wonderful way, matched only by her girth) sleeps with every man in town but, so it would seem, her husband. Furthermore, everyone despises everyone — and with good reason. Every single character in Satantango, in their own way, is trying to cheat, betray, wound, destroy, or escape the other. All this drama is set inside a rain-pelted, fog-swallowed, dark and crumbling village, where, as the image of the once impregnable, now decayed estate at its edge suggests, the words comrade and serf are all but interchangeable, and as equally dehumanizing and ridiculous.

While the ghosts of feudalism and a dying communism linger and affect the characters in Satantango, Krasznahorkai is not merely interested in how the Hungarian psyche suffered under failed sociopolitical systems. He is more interested in the illness of the human individual inside all systems, and the visions we experience and delusions we create in order to “attempt to forget despair.” Krasznahorkai’s mastery of structure, character, and language is matched by his ability to simultaneously weave all three together; readers can feel themselves physiologically immersed in the world of the book, itself a finely orchestrated system.

http://thenewinquiry.com/post/16365913230/dance-with-the-devil

Incredibly long as Satantango is, it feels even longer. Set in a small Hungarian village during the last days of Communism, the movie is based on a novel by Tarr’s frequent collaborator Laszlo Krasznahorkai. Unlike Sergei Bondarchuk’s War and Peace, which strives to match its epic source material hour for hour, Krasznahorkai’s novel is fewer than two-hundred pages. (Currently in translation, it’s slated to be published by New Directions early next year.) Given the industry-standard equation between one page of script and one minute of screen-time, Tarr’s adaptation is three times the size of its source.

Tarr achieves this distention by the use of his signature long takes. His camera will track a herd of cows as they travel through a dilapidated housing block for eight minutes before he cuts. It will linger on some seemingly insignificant detail—the rain pummeling a patch of muddy landscape, the swaying of a towel hanging from the back of a door that has just been shut, the jacket buttons of a man who has just passed out from drunkenness—long after almost any other director would have moved on.

Compositionally, Tarr consistently relegates the major narrative action of a scene to the periphery of the shot. In scenes like the drunken tango in the village pub or the sermon in which a priest screams “The Turks are Coming!” to the bombed-out windows of his empty church, he allows his actors to repeat themselves beyond the point of excruciation—to watch and listen, let alone speak and act. Emerging into the light of day during the first of the intermissions—by the time you get to the second the sun had long fled—is particularly jarring because Tarr’s lighting is dim at its brightest. From the shot in which, in real time, the dawn barely manages to reveal a shabby room to the shot where all one can see is the light of the moon on the rain, Satantango is an experience that approaches sensory deprivation.

The camerawork, directing, and lighting combine to create a mood of perpetual dread that mercilessly refuses to resolve itself into cathartic spasm, but the film’s most oppressive element is undoubtedly its cast of characters. The villagers are stupid, petty, servile, and cruel. Each of them tries to swindle his neighbors out of the year’s wages they’ve been paid to close down the collective farm, only to be swindled by Irmias (played by Mihaly Vig, who has acted in Tarr’s last four films), the village’s prodigal son. A huckster who fancies himself a messiah, Irmias proves to be nothing more than a police informant with a florid prose style. He convinces the villagers to follow him on some ill-defined quest, and they do, leaving behind the town’s doctor, an alcoholic recluse, whom we’ve seen abusing his maid and spying on his neighbors. It is implied that when the village is deserted the doctor will starve to death, but neither the other villagers nor the viewer concludes that this would really be a terrible thing.

Aside from the animals in the film, which attain by comparison surpassing levels of dignity, the only character with whom the viewer sympathizes is the mentally-ill girl, Estike (Erika Bok), with whom we spend an hour or so as she tortures and poisons a cat. Though I was aware that I was implicating myself in the film’s depiction of cruelty-perpetuating cruelty, I spent the second half of Satantango praying for the sudden appearance of an Old Testament-style God to repent of his creation and blot out the village in a fit of righteous pique. I am grateful that Tarr, who at one point has the priggish Mrs. Kraner (Iren Szjaicki) open a Bible to Revelations, did not yield to this temptation. The tragedy of life, the film never allows us to forget, is that its dispensations of justice are neither conclusive nor symmetrical.

http://thenewinquiry.com/post/6246795327/the-captive-audience

Edited by babyfinland ()

lol, the last two paragraphs of that article are absolutely fucking ridiculous, it's an argument about mediums, nothing to do with satatango at all. i guess this means the film itself is diminished should anybody try to watch it at home

Impper posted:
lol, the last two paragraphs of that article are absolutely fucking ridiculous, it's an argument about mediums, nothing to do with satatango at all. i guess this means the film itself is diminished should anybody try to watch it at home

i donno why thats so ridiculous to you. the subject of the article is more about medium and uses satanatango as a referential object. its not like a book review or whatever. and any film is diminished when watched at home i think

wtf nice edit
edits for days son

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

i donno why thats so ridiculous to you. the subject of the article is more about medium and uses satanatango as a referential object. its not like a book review or whatever

you posted an excerpt from some bullshit website and the subject was satatango

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

i donno why thats so ridiculous to you. the subject of the article is more about medium and uses satanatango as a referential object. its not like a book review or whatever

you posted an excerpt from some bullshit website and the subject was satatango

i changed the excerpt from the article i was quoting from you noob. its still the same article

i dont click links, nor do i read edits

Impper posted:
i dont click links, nor do i read edits

clearly