http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/5913.htm

iran will invade itself, ahmedinejad really is iran's bush
A bit more details into the drone hijacking: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer

US officials skeptical of Iran’s capabilities blame a malfunction, but so far can't explain how Iran acquired the drone intact. One American analyst ridiculed Iran’s capability, telling Defense News that the loss was “like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture.”

lol, i love it when our government officials fuck up due to their own racism and exceptionalism

aerdil posted:

US officials skeptical of Iran’s capabilities blame a malfunction, but so far can't explain how Iran acquired the drone intact. One American analyst ridiculed Iran’s capability, telling Defense News that the loss was “like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture.”

lol, i love it when our government officials fuck up due to their own racism and exceptionalism

aerdil posted:

lol iran leads the world in scientific production according to the standardized metrics (which are kind of silly but nontheless, they are our Western Ways)

[account deactivated]
the taliban hacks drones too lol and they think George Bush is the King of America
there are so many iranian scientists here it's crazy. i used to work with this guy who was trying to make verotoxin more potent. no one really understood why and his english wasn't good enough to explain it to me so i just assumed it was for the IRG. he was cool
Yeah I'm really surprised the jackapes think that iran is backwards. with all the iranian graduate students' financial documents I had to process @ my stint doing that for a globally-ranked research university, I can't imagine how incompetent our police state is at monitoring enemies
Our state police don't think Iran is backwards at all when assessing them as a threat.

It is politically expedient for the common man to view "the middle east" as a homogenous blob of brown Muslims who need a good old American firearm to teach them the meaning of democracy. As a result, people think Iran is the same "lawless state ruled as much by tribe as by government" like we have come to view Pakistan in the lesser and Afghanistan in the greater sense, by association.

Probably.

reignofevil posted:
Our state police don't think Iran is backwards at all when assessing them as a threat.

It is politically expedient for the common man to view "the middle east" as a homogenous blob of brown Muslims who need a good old American firearm to teach them the meaning of democracy. As a result, people think Iran is the same "lawless state ruled as much by tribe as by government" like we have come to view Pakistan in the lesser and Afghanistan in the greater sense, by association.

Probably.

But how much does the opinion of those two unnamed guys matter in the actual meetings that are presumably had to discuss these things?

Honestly, if I were in charge of explaining why our super secret expensive drone malfunctioned to the media, I would just tell them it was a malfunction and leave it at that too.

Edit- Not actually two unnamed guys, just a guy and unspecified "officials".

reignofevil posted:
But how much does the opinion of those two unnamed guys matter in the actual meetings that are presumably had to discuss these things?

Honestly, if I were in charge of explaining why our super secret expensive drone malfunctioned to the media, I would just tell them it was a malfunction and leave it at that too.

Edit- Not actually two unnamed guys, just a guy and unspecified "officials".

I mean I'm just going by my knowledge of American foreign analysis which frequently produces these 'malfunctions' and racist dismissals, ie. Serbs shooting down a F-117 stealth fighter which was flown haphazardly as if it was some sort of invincible rook, the weird and inconsistent way they dealt with Soviets, their bizarre underestimation of what sort of reaction civilian casualties will cause. the flipside to racism in American foreign policy is the total underestimation of the 'enemy'.

and what the hell changed since those earlier days? civil rights? defeat in iraq and afghanistan? I dont think so, tim

babyfinland posted:
lol iran leads the world in scientific production according to the standardized metrics (which are kind of silly but nontheless, they are our Western Ways)

what does this mean? PhDs or papers published normalized by GDP or population or something?

guidoanselmi posted:

babyfinland posted:

what does this mean? PhDs or papers published normalized by GDP or population or something?

something like that

i had misremembered, its first in growth, not production

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/191288.html

i was talking to my corner store guy, an indian, and he told me that he thinks we should let israel bomb iran's nuclear capability. 'not houses, not bridges' just nuclear bomb facilities

christmas_cheer posted:
i was talking to my corner store guy, an indian, and he told me that he thinks we should let israel bomb iran's nuclear capability. 'not houses, not bridges' just nuclear bomb facilities

Interesting.

[account deactivated]
with kji's death it's almost as if iran is the final american enemy #1 that hasn't undergone drastic change this year. besides cuba/venezuela at least

Crow posted:
and what the hell changed since those earlier days?

Well I suppose nothing substantial. Establishment is as Establishment is after all. That said, I would hope that we would at least respect these "rogue states" as clever enemies.

The United States is weird.

vampirarchist posted:
with kji's death it's almost as if iran is the final american enemy #1 that hasn't undergone drastic change this year. besides cuba/venezuela at least

and i really don't think iran actually did anything this year except release hikers and capture a drone.

i figure the saudi assassination plot thing was so absurdly broken that politicians and press have backed off (that and waiting for trial) - but the story persists in the collective subconscious...

oh hay bad news y'all
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/world/middleeast/iran-threatens-to-block-oil-route-if-embargo-is-imposed.html

WASHINGTON — A senior Iranian official on Tuesday delivered a sharp threat in response to economic sanctions being readied by the United States, saying his country would retaliate against any crackdown by blocking all oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital artery for transporting about one-fifth of the world’s oil supply.

The declaration by Iran’s first vice president, Mohammad-Reza Rahimi, came as President Obama prepares to sign legislation that, if fully implemented, could substantially reduce Iran’s oil revenue in a bid to deter it from pursuing a nuclear weapons program.

You get the idea. Now personally, this seems like empty words. Iran wouldn't play one of their big trump cards so soon like this. What this does indicate is that Iran's economy will suffer dramatically on the timescale where alternatives to sanctions can take place (eg dev of shell companies to have indirect business transfer, finding new markets, etc) or that the damage will be unreversible. I guess fascist western powers should take delight in the effectiveness of on-going sanctions. I heard from someone that eggs are $1 each thanks to sanctions...

Some kewl articles on iranian economy

http://djavad.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/irans-place-in-the-world-distribution-of-income/

http://djavad.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/irans-place-in-the-world-distribution-of-income/
" The U.S. Fifth Fleet said on Wednesday it will
not allow any disruption of traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran
threatened to stop ships moving through the strategic oil route.

"The free flow of goods and services through the Strait of Hormuz is
vital to regional and global prosperity," a spokesperson for the
Bahrain-based fleet said in a written response to queries from Reuters
about the possibility of Iran trying to close the waterway.

"Anyone who threatens to disrupt freedom of navigation in an
international strait is clearly outside the community of nations; any
disruption will not be tolerated."

Asked whether it was taking
specific measures in response to the threat to close the Strait, the
fleet said it "maintains a robust presence in the region to deter or
counter destabilizing activities", without providing further detail."

i reckon crude escalation by blocking the straight would be a chump move by iran... they just need to constipate the flow lil a bit (maybe by introducing a few days of 'inspections' or something) to wreak havoc on fragile supply lines.

theyd need to maintain both western dependence on oil + plausible deniability tho
here's how things will go down.

we will continue to sanction iran until they are as poor as north korea

the regime will continue to stand at the line and bluster

one day either they will cross the line and then lose a war, or their people will force the anti-western regime out of office

christmas_cheer posted:

one day either they will cross the line and then lose a war, or their people will force the anti-western regime out of office

lol

christmas_cheer posted:

Oh is that so lol

christmas_cheer posted:

May I just say, Lmao

The global heroin addict convention has decided to boycott afghanistan

jools posted:
The global heroin addict convention has decided to boycott afghanistan

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2323488571

[account deactivated]

Nuclear Iran ‘not an existential threat to Israel’, says Mossad chief

The director of Israel’s primary external intelligence agency, the Mossad, has said that it would be wrong to consider a nuclear-armed Iran an “existential threat” to Israel.

For years, senior Israeli politicians and American military planners have described the prospect of a nuclear-capable Iran as an “existential threat” to the Jewish state. But this widespread belief is apparently not shared by Tamir Pardo, head of Israel’s revered Mossad intelligence agency.

Pardo outlined his view while speaking yesterday before an audience of over 100 Israeli ambassadors and consuls general, at a conference dealing with diplomatic security issues and public affairs. Lectures at the conference, which is held annually at the Israeli Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem, are given behind closed doors. But Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz quoted three Israeli ambassadors who attended Pardo’s talk; they confirmed that the Mossad director rejected the view that Israel’s existence would necessarily be endangered by an Iranian nuclear arsenal, and dismissed the maxim “existential threat” as a “term used too liberally”. The Israeli newspaper quoted Pardo as saying: “Does Iran constitute a threat to Israel? Certainly. However, if we were to claim that a nuclear weapon in Iran’s possession was an existential threat , it would simply mean that we would have to terminate and go home. But this is not the case. The term is used too liberally”.

The unnamed ambassadors told Ha’aretz that Pardo’s comments did not imply that the Mossad would stop its covert war on Iran, nor that Israel would accept the prospect of a nuclear Iran as inevitable. “However, what remarks undoubtedly imply is that he does not view a nuclear-armed Iran as an existential threat to Israel”, they said. Pardo’s comments closely echo those of his predecessor, Meir Dagan, who last May condemned a possible Israeli attack on Iran as an act that would be “patently illegal under international law” and “the stupidest thing ever heard”.

In June, hawkish Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu effectively stripped Dagan of his diplomatic passport, after the longtime Mossad Director called Israel’s leaders “reckless and irresponsible” people, who will not hesitate to engage in military adventurism in Iran to ensure their political primacy at home. IntelNews readers may remember that Israel’s Science and Technology Minister, Daniel Hershkowitz, urged the government to indict the former Mossad chief, for “compromising state security”. It is not presently known how the Netanyahu government will react to Pardo’s remarks.

http://intelnews.org/2011/12/30/01-898/

who woulda thought mossad chiefs would be the ones to try and put a Human Face on international jewry
this came in the mail today.... hahahahehehahaho

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136917/matthew-kroenig/time-to-attack-iran

TIME TO ATTACK IRAN

Opponents of military action against Iran assume a U.S. strike would be far more dangerous than simply letting Tehran build a bomb. Not so, argues this former Pentagon defense planner. With a carefully designed attack, Washington could mitigate the costs and spare the region and the world from an unacceptable threat.

MATTHEW KROENIG is Stanton Nuclear Security Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and the author of Exporting the Bomb: Technology Transfer and the Spread of Nuclear Weapons. From July 2010 to July 2011, he was a Special Adviser in the Office of the U.S. Secretary of Defense, responsible for defense strategy and policy on Iran.

With the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq winding down and the United States facing economic hardship at home, Americans have little appetite for further strife. Yet Iran’s rapid nuclear development will ultimately force the United States to choose between a conventional conflict and a possible nuclear war. Faced with that decision, the United States should conduct a surgical strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities, absorb an inevitable round of retaliation, and then seek to quickly de-escalate the crisis. Addressing the threat now will spare the United States from confronting a far more dangerous situation in the future.

aerdil posted:
this came in the mail today.... hahahahehehahaho

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136917/matthew-kroenig/time-to-attack-iran

TIME TO ATTACK IRAN

just look at his cold, dark eyes

there's nothing i hate more than polisci kids who try to pick up something beyond their breadth. how a kid who gets his phd in 07 magically turns into a nuclear security fellow without actually playing in DOE or with grey beards in RAND really kills me.

hes just reaping the fruits of slavish devotion to the establishment. probably from a well-connected family as well.
"mitigate the costs" might actually be an honest use of words, i like when policy people incidentally use phrases that illustrate the calculus of international relations