christmas_cheer posted:
I watched countless Hitch videos and read countless articles. I also read this book and enjoyed it very much. A great intellectual is lost to us. I hope his last moments were peaceful.

his last moments were excruciatingly painful (he had cancer, one of the most painful kinds of cancer, probably the most slow and most painful way a person can die). i wish he was still alive so he could suffer more

he's in hell now Lol. by which i mean, other people. i cut up + ate the corpse of christopher hitchens.

babyfinland posted:

christmas_cheer posted:
I watched countless Hitch videos and read countless articles. I also read this book and enjoyed it very much. A great intellectual is lost to us. I hope his last moments were peaceful.

his last moments were excruciatingly painful (he had cancer, one of the most painful kinds of cancer, probably the most slow and most painful way a person can die). i wish he was still alive so he could suffer more

well thanks for proving him right about islam i guess??

lmao, reposting the CounterPunch article here:

Farewell to C.H.by ALEXANDER COCKBURN
I can’t count the times, down the years, that after some new outrage friends would call me and ask, “What happened to Christopher Hitchens?” – the inquiry premised on some supposed change in Hitchens, often presumed to have started in the period he tried to put his close friend Blumenthal behind bars for imputed perjury. My answer was that Christopher had been pretty much the same package since the beginning — always allowing for the ravages of entropy as the years passed.

As so often with friends and former friends, it’s a matter of what you’re prepared to put up with and for how long. I met him in New York in the early 1980s and all the long-term political and indeed personal traits were visible enough. I never thought of him as at all radical. He craved to be an insider, a trait which achieved ripest expression when he elected to be sworn in as a U.S. citizen by Bush’s director of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff. In basic philosophical take he always seemed to me to hold as his central premise a profound belief in the therapeutic properties of capitalism and empire. He was an instinctive flagwagger and remained so. He wrote some really awful stuff in the early 90s about how indigenous peoples — Indians in the Americas — were inevitably going to be rolled over by the wheels of Progress and should not be mourned.

On the plane of weekly columns in the late eighties and nineties it mostly seemed to be a matter of what was currently obsessing him: for years in the 1980s he wrote scores of columns for The Nation, charging that the Republicans had stolen the 1980s election by the “October surprise”, denying Carter the advantage of a hostage release. He got rather boring. Then in the 90s he got a bee in his bonnet about Clinton which developed into full-blown obsessive megalomania: the dream that he, Hitchens, would be the one to seize the time and finish off Bill. Why did Bill — a zealous and fairly efficient executive of Empire – bother Hitchens so much? I’m not sure. He used to hint that Clinton had behaved abominably to some woman he, Hitchens, knew. Actually I think he’d got to that moment in life when he was asking himself if he could make a difference. He obviously thought he could, and so he sloshed his way across his own personal Rubicon and tried to topple Clinton via betrayal of his close friendship with Sid Blumenthal, whom he did his best to ruin financially (lawyers’ fees) and get sent to prison for perjury.

Since then it was all pretty predictable, down to his role as flagwagger for Bush. I guess the lowest of a number of low points was when he went to the White House to give a cheerleading speech on the eve of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. I think he knew long, long before that this is where he would end up, as a right-wing codger. He used to go on, back in the Eighties, about sodden old wrecks like John Braine, who’d ended up more or less where Hitchens got to, trumpeting away about “Islamo-fascism” like a Cheltenham colonel in some ancient Punch cartoon. I used to warn my friends at New Left Review and Verso in the early 90s who were happy to make money off Hitchens’ books on Mother Teresa and the like that they should watch out, but they didn’t and then kept asking ten years later, What happened?

Anyway, between the two of them, my sympathies were always with Mother Teresa. If you were sitting in rags in a gutter in Bombay, who would be more likely to give you a bowl of soup? You’d get one from Mother Teresa. Hitchens was always tight with beggars, just like the snotty Fabians who used to deprecate charity.

One awful piece of opportunism on Hitchens’ part was his decision to attack Edward Said just before his death, and then for good measure again in his obituary. With his attacks on Edward, especially the final post mortem, Hitchens couldn’t even claim the pretense of despising a corrupt presidency, a rapist and liar or any of the other things he called Clinton. That final attack on Said was purely for attention–which fuelled his other attacks but this one most starkly because of the absence of any high principle to invoke. Here he decided both to bask in his former friend’s fame, recalling the little moments that made it clear he was intimate with the man, and to put himself at the center of the spotlight by taking his old friend down a few notches. In a career of awful moves, that was one of the worst. He also rounded on Gore Vidal who had done so much to promote his career as dauphin of contrarianism.

He courted the label “contrarian”, but if the word is to have any muscle, it surely must imply the expression of dangerous opinions. Hitchens never wrote anything truly discommoding to respectable opinion and if he had he would never have enjoyed so long a billet at Vanity Fair. Attacking God? The big battles on that issue were fought one, two, even five hundred years ago when they burned Giordano Bruno at the stake in the Campo de’ Fiore. A contrarian these days would be someone who staunchly argued for the existence of a Supreme Being. He was for America’s wars. I thought he was relatively solid on Israel/Palestine, but there too he trimmed. The Jewish Telegraphic Agency put out a friendly obit, noting that “despite his rejection of religious precepts, Hitchens would make a point of telling interviewers that according to halacha, he was Jewish” and noting his suggestion that Walt and Mearsheimer might be anti-Semitic, also his sliming of a boatload of pro-Palestinian activists aiming to breach Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip. (His brother Peter and other researchers used to say that in terms of blood lineage, the Hitchens boys’ Jewishness was pretty slim and fell far outside the definitions of the Nuremberg laws. I always liked Noam Chomsky’s crack to me when Christopher announced in Grand Street that he was a Jew: “From anti-Semite to self-hating Jew, all in one day.”)

As a writer his prose was limited in range. In extempore speeches and arguments he was quick on his feet. I remember affectionately many jovial sessions from years ago, in his early days at The Nation. I found the Hitchens cult of recent years entirely mystifying. He endured his final ordeal with pluck, sustained indomitably by his wife Carol.

clearly the fight over religion has been over for centuries and the vast majority of the world no longer believes in ancient superstitions, thanks cockburn
hitchens was a coward and a drunk, lol, he didnt even have the balls to stand up to the biggest theocratic threat to his precious Empire, Israel
WOW a guy went on tv arguing that white trash people are backwards! How brave! What panache!

Crow posted:
hitchens was a coward and a drunk, lol, he didnt even have the balls to stand up to the biggest theocratic threat to his precious Empire, Israel

you are just being disingenuous to say this is because of cowardice and not that he simply didn't agree with your view of it. hitchens spoke his mind clearly and controversially. defending israel and america in the intellectual community is much more 'contrarian' than being anti-war or anti-israel, which are generally assumed to be the standard positions amongst liberals

hitchens never entered in the intellectual community. you are confused because he has a british accent and your brain fires synapses at a 50 times slower rate than average
sorry bf but the rhizzone is not the intellectual community
[account deactivated]

christmas_cheer posted:
sorry bf but the rhizzone is not the intellectual community

RIP Pussy Brutality.

babyfinland posted:
hitchens never entered in the intellectual community. you are confused because he has a british accent and your brain fires synapses at a 50 times slower rate than average

he was nobody in the uk bc he couldnt cut it when his interlocutors and audience werent totally awed by his rudeness and his accent, even halfwits like terry eagleton could pull wings off his arguments without effort

hes got glowing obits over here of course, because all opinion writers here also supported the war for the same reasons (love power, hate browns) and theyre not gonna break rank until they retire

christmas_cheer posted:

Crow posted:

you are just being disingenuous to say this is because of cowardice and not that he simply didn't agree with your view of it. hitchens spoke his mind clearly and controversially. defending israel and america in the intellectual community is much more 'contrarian' than being anti-war or anti-israel, which are generally assumed to be the standard positions amongst liberals

name a controversial opinion he had

cleanhands posted:

christmas_cheer posted:

Crow posted:

support for the war in iraq

christmas_cheer posted:

cleanhands posted:

christmas_cheer posted:

Crow posted:

support for the war in iraq

so outlandish, one can hold it and be President of the United States of America

were deep into postmodernism here lads, tread carefully

gyrofry posted:

we have people here cheering on his death over it, it's basically the reason you all hate him, pretty much the entire world opposed it, it was mostly favored by elites, etc.

defending the actions of the elite is much more controversial than attacking them, which is so commonplace it's basically assumed

Hahahahaha being anti-war and anti-israel was not, and never will be, a 'standard liberal position'

christmas_cheer posted:

gyrofry posted:

we have people here cheering on his death over it, it's basically the reason you all hate him, pretty much the entire world opposed it, it was mostly favored by elites, etc.

defending the actions of the elite is much more controversial than attacking them, which is so commonplace it's basically assumed

Ladies and Gentlemen, Christmas_Cheer

[account deactivated]

Crow posted:
Hahahahaha being anti-war and anti-israel was not, and never will be, a 'standard liberal position'

I guess Reddit is full of far leftists then

christmas_cheer posted:

gyrofry posted:

won't somebody please think of the elites

libertarians' form of resistance is the most degenerate of em all
a true and valiant defender of the elite is dead, and we now weep. We weep for the elite, for who else will?
w33p l337 N1njaz
being anti-war and anti-israel is the opinion of GBS and D&D

christmas_cheer posted:
being anti-war and anti-israel is the opinion of GBS and D&D

Stop it Joel I can hardly withstand this relentless assault on my contrarian reflexes. You are ruthless, sir.

negate the negation! defend civilization!
[account deactivated]
Shits serious.

babyfinland posted:
Shits serious.

Christopher Hitchens and I were friends for 40 years, plus another five when we were enemies. He took ideas so seriously that if he disagreed with you on a matter that he deemed important, he’d literally throw you in a ditch. It was 1972, the height of our mutual virility. He and I went to a pub to celebrate his most recent intellectual victory over the establishment press. I intimated that sometimes women could be funny on purpose. Even back then, the thought enraged him. Hitchens threw a drink in my face, pressed a lit cigarette into my neck, and hit me over the head with a barstool. The next thing I knew, it was two days later and I was lying hogtied and naked beside the M5. Hitch had already severely damaged my reputation in a vicious essay in the Guardian. But that’s how he operated, and that’s why we loved him.

University, as you know, is the only time in one’s life when anything really worthwhile happens. I met Hitch there. The first time I saw him, he had a bird on each arm and a woman by his side. She beamed as he read aloud passages from “Homage to Catalonia.” He looked up.

“Who the hell are you?” he said.

“I’m your housemate,” I said.

“Are you in favor of the war in Vietnam?”

“Of course not.”

Hitch put down the book and took a swig of cheap Scotch.

“Good,” he said. “Because I refuse to fraternize with men who are afraid to be intellectual heroes.”

In the annals of history, only Orwell, Voltaire and maybe a half-dozen other guys could match’s Hitch ideological bravery and breadth of political knowledge. In 1977, after I’d returned to his graces by aiding him in a plot to assassinate Henry Kissinger’s character, Hitch and I visited Borges’ library in Buenos Aires. At the time, Hitch was working for the KGB while pretending to work for the BBC, and I was working for the Mossad while pretending to work for Burger King. But our many identities were merely covers for our lives as political writers at low-paying magazines.

Borges invited Hitch and me into his home, fed us tea and empanadas, and launched into a seamlessly brilliant discourse on surrealism in Latin American history. He talked for 30 minutes without stopping, during which time Hitch smoked six-dozen cigarettes. When Borges finished, Hitchens paused, spat in his ashcan, and said,

“Of course, you know, you’re wrong about everything.”

He then proceeded to refute Borges, point for point, until he reduced the blind scribe of Buenos Aires to tears.

No one loved ideas more than Hitch.

Much ink has been spilled, of course, about the legendary friendships Christopher forged with other writers throughout his life. For a time in the 1980s, he, Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie and I lived together in London. Hitchens rented us a six-story flat so we could swap partners more easily. Many was the time we passed the bottle until dawn, bemoaning Thatcher’s England, Reagan’s America, and also some stuff about the Middle East. Sometimes Hitchens would bring over a dissident writer who was fleeing oppression in his native country, and we’d all make fun of Mother Teresa and Princess Diana, then remove our pants to compare our manhoods. We were so middle-aged and foolish then, so committed to the struggle.

Hitchens spoke out against war, and also for war. In a span of five years, he bore witness to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the explosion of the Eiffel Tower, and the construction of the new holographic Eiffel Tower. He had acid in his pocket, acid in his pen and acid in his veins. Then Darkness fell, on Sept. 11, 2001. We’d all moved to America and gotten totally rich.

Hitchens changed that day. For months, he’d wander the streets at night, looking to drunkenly berate someone who disagreed with him about the evils of Islamofascism. Occasionally he’d attempt to strangle young journalists, who admired him unquestioningly, with their own neckties. But he was right. He was always right. Even when he was wrong.

The night they killed Osama bin Laden, he showed up at my apartment, drunk but lucid, quoting T.S. Eliot, Longfellow and, of course, himself. We stayed up watching CNN, which was actually pretty boring. In the morning, over a breakfast of corn flakes and whiskey, I said, “Well, I guess that’s the end of Islamofascism. Good job!”

Hitchens went into my kitchen, took a cutting board off the counter, and threw it into my forehead, drawing blood.

“Don’t be an imbecile,” he said. “The struggle never ends. Also, you must remember that there is no God.”

I needed four stitches that day. Hitch put them in himself, with his teeth. What a friend he was.

Rest in peace, dear man.

Rest in peace, dead man.
awesome, where's that from?

animedad posted:
awesome, where's that from?

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/20/i_knew_christopher_hitchens_better_than_you/

[account deactivated]
“Good,” he said. “Because I refuse to fraternize with men who are afraid to be intellectual heroes.”

llllol
he was right about vietnorm, imo