discipline posted:
what do you think about black face

if you can think of another way to increase cultural representation of black peoples experiences then id like to hear it!

it is an artform. i have seen some very tasteful blackface.

spike lee's bamboozled as evidence that blackface is not inherently racist.

discipline posted:
what do you think about black face

what response is going to make people qqingest. thats literally all i care about these days

blackface should be understood as an incipient becoming-other, a revolutionary act
the lynch mob as the multitude
serious answer i guess is that blackface would be acceptable if it was one facet of a broader unbundling of racial prejudices (as in a multiracial cast of actors in blackface, whiteface, chineseface, persianface, indianface, all behaving inappropriately) rather than just a handy way of commodifying black people in the dramatic arts without having to deal with any actual black people who might get uppity
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
did you ever watch Come Fly With Me? because you should, and also keep in mind that the two privately educated white men responsible are considered the uks most perceptive social satirists
angry boys also has blackface & i actually got in an argue w/ a friend about it, he said he knew a black guy who didnt mind so it was ok
nobody thinks lucas and williams are the uks most perceptive social satirists tho
No, it's art alright, but art doesnt get a free pass from censorship
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:
angry boys also has blackface & i actually got in an argue w/ a friend about it, he said he knew a black guy who didnt mind so it was ok

chris lilley also did a show called summer heights high, and he played both a gay man and a girl

you know, my impression is that it's not simply the fact that someone is portraying some other class, or race, or sex, or whether its art or not, but the meaning of the character. not the intention, but the act. theoretically, there could be some portrayal of blackface that isnt damaging, perhaps maybe John Safran's Race Relations where he does blackface or a movie about Black Like Me, where the person isnt some ridiculous caricature, but has a dimension which enunciates the meaning of race relations and the terrible force of oppression.

like when people defend blackface, its some idiotic magical Moor or something in Denmark, or some morons in Australia making light of a pop star, but not anything that fundamentally denounces white supremacy in the act

[account deactivated]
like when you take on blackface, you take on the meaning of the act immediately, so when people defend it by saying 'oh its not like THAT', they must have the historical and active racial dimension drilled into their head. is this sort of thing performative? what if a blackman was wearing the equivalent of blackface by his routine, isnt the scandal kind of encapsulated in his act, and not in his identity?
tasteful blackface is damning with faint praise.

what would be kinda cool would be to have a play based on a black family and make one of the actors white /w a good mask or blackface and have the reviewers and audience guess who was whitey.
[account deactivated]
whenever i hear the word 'tasteful', i reach for my revolver

discipline posted:
It's not about writing in your "comfort zones" so much as you writing in zones that make, let's say, female rape victims terribly uncomfortable. You are writing strength and truth from that zone too, not because of how you feel necessarily but (once again) because of the gendered position you occupy.

lmao if you expect imp (or any dudes really) to give a shit

Edited by futurewidow ()

I feel like I can't tackle this whole... thing without being literally (heh) intimidated. whatever point i make will just be dismissed when imp or ken or whoever name-drops delueze cause fair enough, I haven't read as much as the guys round here, and there's probably an angle I'm missing.

still though I see this as a problem of such abstraction, such overall disconnect with gendered violence that it can be reduced to like... a device some first world dude can use in his book to make a point or to make a character more interesting. it's not even like there's any new insight being gleaned. the fact that that's seemingly acceptable is makin me smh. It's lazy and it's decadent.

basically

Crow posted:
No, it's art alright, but art doesnt get a free pass from censorship

deadken posted:
blackface should be understood as an incipient becoming-other, a revolutionary act

dead ken and imp are total retards, dont know what theyre talking about, dont understand the works of the names they drop, should die
that is a far better point than anything dead ken or impper have ever or will ever offer btw
i am metaphorically standing behind futurewidow and going "that's right" like a cheesey villain's sidekick
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:
dead ken and imp are total retards, dont know what theyre talking about, dont understand the works of the names they drop, should die

Agreed.

baby finland is a turd nugget

deadken posted:

babyfinland posted:

Agreed.

disagreed. it may be objectively true but not if it's coming out of baby finland. hes a mega squirt

[account deactivated]
lol @ the idea of some white guy out there being Smart ahahaha

tpaine posted:

Impper posted:

he's a white hot mess and a major league cuntastrophe, a stepin felchit for the pomo generation if there ever was one

Truer words ne'r done been spoke

[account deactivated]

Impper posted:

also agreed

baby finland is psychotic, and as a psychopath i find him contemptible
dead ken's misogynist sex stories: i had sex w/ 3 women in the last 4 days and now i just feel really drained + aimless + empty. also my dick chafes a lot
good jorb
i think i might join a cult
i mean itd be useful for the thing i want to write but then if i actually get sucked in i could sublimate my feeble will into some grand nonsensical narrative and if i get brainwashed enough then i might just clear up some of my neuroticism and no longer feel so abstracted from everything. iono