[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
Requires excessive admiration
Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

where did you find this picture of me

Tts not that the web is populated by narcissists its that the kinds of interaction most suited to the web are narcissistic; in general certain negative traits are magnified due to the filtering out of ameliorating positives that might in person have resulted in a likeable and attractive personality.

This doesn't preclude people with horrible personalities finding in the web the perfect match of medium to message though, I'm just saying that it's inappropriate to apply human psychology to online actors because online restricts normal people to modes of behaviour which would, in meatspace, be cause for concern to dev psych clinicians.
[account deactivated]
just pointing out that our current knowledge of psychological disorders is roughly on the level of homonunculus-in-spermatozoon or figuring that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones and quoting matter like the dsm in an attempt to explain why wddp is a land of contrasts is a p shaky approach
im a homonculus!!!
lmao jesus don't diagnose fucking personality disorders over the internet
[account deactivated]
ah yes, hence posting dsm criteria,
[account deactivated]
dude the dsm is basically The Modern Shaman's Guide To Brain BooBoos
except instead of helpful community and kinship group-based treatments that strengthen integration with society it prefers napalm brain death with drugs
if cultural analysis by reference to psychoanalysis is fine then so is using the dsm to talk about posting (your posting! sizzle!)
[account deactivated]

jools posted:
except instead of helpful community and kinship group-based treatments that strengthen integration with society it prefers napalm brain death with drugs

the other day i called a mental health hospital asking to start therapy with a doctor's reference and they said that they didn't do that there.

getfiscal posted:

jools posted:

the other day i called a mental health hospital asking to start therapy with a doctor's reference and they said that they didn't do that there.

we don't do patient-directed approaches to mental health therapy

jools posted:

lol yeah hang out with a schizoid or a dude in a major depressive episode and tell me that their problems can be solved by community integration

bob, put down those silly pills! Laurie from next door and the PTA are here. we want to have you involved in our discussion about that new roundabout they're putting on Elm street

jools posted:

agreed, and thus the invalidity of LGBT politics.

babyfinland posted:

makin a vag out of a dick is v delicate and procedurally well defined procedure memsahib. for such analogy to be succesful it wd have to be more like putting someone's junk in a blender and crossing yr fingers

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

babyfinland posted:

makin a vag out of a dick is v delicate and procedurally well defined procedure memsahib. for such analogy to be succesful it wd have to be more like putting someone's junk in a blender and crossing yr fingers

LGBT identities have their origins in the DSM, a story that loves to be told in terms of liberals being On the Right Side of History.

~~~~~~~~~~~I wOuLdN't Be So DePrEsSeD iF yOu'D jUsT gIvE mE sOmE aMpHeTaMiNeS, lAdY~~~~~~~~~~~

babyfinland posted:
LGBT identities have their origins in the DSM, a story that loves to be told in terms of liberals being On the Right Side of History.

lmao do you really believe this

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:

lmao do you really believe this

there were people both inside and outside of the psychiatric community talking about homosexuality long before the first DSM was ever published, and some identities, (most prominently bisexuality but that's far from the only one), were never included in it at all. this is just a mix of base historical revisionism, over-generalization and outright fabrication.
jesus christ shut up

Lessons posted:
there were people both inside and outside of the psychiatric community talking about homosexuality long before the first DSM was ever published, and some identities, (most prominently bisexuality but that's far from the only one), were never included in it at all. this is just a mix of base historical revisionism, over-generalization and outright fabrication.

I have been owned.

Goethestein posted:
lol yeah hang out with a schizoid or a dude in a major depressive episode and tell me that their problems can be solved by community integration

Schizoid people are pretty chill, just really introverted?? You probably mean schizophrenic

Although it'd be pretty cool to be schizophrenic in the pre modern world because then you get to be a prophet/messiah

i pathologize, therefore i am
i'm not sure if you've heard of this yet but capitalism is schizophrenic
goatstein i guess youre right, thats why you get all these hunter-gatherer suicides
many hunter gatherers were known to commit suicide, only the preferred method was to be trampled underfoot by a buffalo or a dinosaur or some shit, so most of them seem like hunting accidents

jools posted:
goatstein i guess youre right, thats why you get all these hunter-gatherer suicides

the suicide rate in most nations is less than 1 in 10,000. nowhere in the world is it greater than 1 in 3000. considering that the average hunter-gatherer tribe has less than 100 people at best, and that their rate of death from other forms of violence is hundreds of times higher than modern societies, its unsurprising that their incidence of suicide is small.

jools posted:

hi Tom Cruise

Goethestein posted:

jools posted:

the suicide rate in most nations is less than 1 in 10,000. nowhere in the world is it greater than 1 in 3000. considering that the average hunter-gatherer tribe has less than 100 people at best, and that their rate of death from other forms of violence is hundreds of times higher than modern societies, its unsurprising that their incidence of suicide is small.

What

HenryKrinkle posted:

jools posted:

hi Tom Cruise

Are you serious

My grandpa was in a hunter gatherer tribe with 10000 people and they had a suicide almost every day...

jools posted:

Goethestein posted:

jools posted:

What

suicide is extremely rare anyway, and a society that only has a few dozen people is unlikely to experience it in any number.