Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>
This is a thread to discuss the discrimination faced by people from the American South. This discrimination and oppression is experienced by southern people of all ages, races, and sexes, particularly those who speak in the dialect of Southern American English (henceforth SAE) or one of it's variations. From hip-hop to film to poverty statistics proof of this discrimination and the resulting inequality and oppression is visible clear as day. Southern people are regularly referred to as subhuman, unintelligent, devoid of moral standards. This discrimination is truly post-modern in that it spans many different types of human experiences, from those of white women to those of black men and etc... and revolves around multiple factors including but not limited to culture, linguistics, race, sex, and gender. While some receive this discrimination more harshly (particularly men), it is almost universally accepted, for example, that those who speak in SAE or some variation are considered of lower intelligence.

An example which I will discuss in the OP and elaborate on in further posts once we get the discussion going is the negative attitudes held towards the young black men who perform Southern Hip-Hop. Made into spectacle and often portrayed in the media as criminal, drug addicted, and lacking in intelligence, the fact that they speak in Southern Black English (henceforth SBE) adds yet another discriminatory factor. Coming from the highly iniquitous and segregated south, their specific dialect is often portrayed as 'simple' even though their lyrics have historically been no less complex or objectively worse than their East and West coast counterparts.

Other examples about in film, other medias, politics, and more which I will expand on in later posts.

Edited by EmanuelaBrolandi ()

plz cover the Agrarians
how do u think this works within chandra mohanty's feminism of "situatedness"

In a number of Western radical and liberal feminist writings Mohanty detects the so-called 'colonialist move' which consists of producing the third world Woman as a singular and monolithic subject. This constituting of a colonial Other in these white Western feminist texts on women in the third world is, according to Mohanty, due to three analytical presuppositions in these texts.

First of all, the assumption of the category of '(third world) women' as a coherent group with identical interests experiences and goals prior to their entry in the socio-political and historical field. This Western feminist discourse defines third world women as being subjects 'outside' social relations instead of looking at the way these women are constituted through these social structures. Economic, religious and familial structures are judged by Western standards; the 'typical' Third world Woman is thus being defined as religious, family-oriented, legal minors, illiterate and domestic. The attitude of white feminists towards third world women is thus very paternalistic, as if it is saying to them that 'they' are not yet that far in feminism but we will impose our Western ideas upon them and show them how to get feministic. Through this producing of a Third World Other, white Western feminists are discursively representing themselves as being sexually liberated, free-minded, in control of their own lives and secular. Behind all this lies the Western universalistic notion that the 'third world' hasn't yet evolved to the extend the West has. Mohanty's position on this arrogant Western universalism implicitly carries also a anti-humanist message, as she wants to do away with the humanist notion of the subject as a coherent rational secular monolith. Note also that Mohanty here is referring to a self-representation of Western feminists and not to a material reality. We also saw this slippage being criticized by De Lauretis.

Secondly, the model of power which these Western feminist writings imply, namely the humanist, classical notion of men as oppressors and women as oppressed is taken up by these white scholars. This concept is defenitely not adequate, says Mohanty, as it implies a universal notion of patriarchy and thus only stresses the binary 'men versus women'. Furthermore, in not taking into account the various socio-political contexts, women are 'robbed' of their historical and political agency. This also was a strong argument De Lauretis in a way made in her article. Mohanty is thus, like De Lauretis, pleading for a politics of location and a more Foucaulian model of power, so that both the colonialist move made by some Western feminist scholars can be made explicit as being a discursive institution, and that third world women, placed in their own particular historical and political contexts, now can have moments of empowerment and with this a diverse, heterogeneous sort of subjectivity. In this way, Mohanty is deconstructing the idea of 'first world woman as subject' versus the 'third world woman as object' which eventually leads to an opening up of theoretical space to talk about differences among third world women, and women in general.

And thirdly, Mohanty criticizes Western methodological practices which are over-simplified and are in fact just trying to find 'proof' of various cases of powerless women in order to support the above mentioned classical notion of (third world) women as powerless victims. The white feminist concept of 'sisterhood' is therefore also criticized by Mohanty, as it implies a false sense of common experiences and goals; as if all women are oppressed by a monolithic, conspiring sort of patriarchal dominance. This idea certainly can't be fruitful, says Mohanty; it only paralyses women. Rather than 'sisterhood', the idea of solidarity appeals more to her.

http://www.klari.net/ingrid/articles/femtheo.html#mohanty

well w/r/t the end of that article I think it's ridiculous to claim that 'standpoint feminism' i in anyway outdated. I think standpoint is where it's at and all that anti- shit is juts white 'postmodernist' bullshit trying to reclaim dominance because it's ilke 'oh god we can't have it be standard practice in academia to make it expected for people to speak for themselves all the time!'

not just in feminism but racial theory studies and etc...

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
well w/r/t the end of that article I think it's ridiculous to claim that 'standpoint feminism' i in anyway outdated. I think standpoint is where it's at and all that anti- shit is juts white 'postmodernist' bullshit trying to reclaim dominance because it's ilke 'oh god we can't have it be standard practice in academia to make it expected for people to speak for themselves all the time!'

it doesnt argue that

However, I certainly wouldn't agree that standpoint feminism is nowadays completely outdated, though it has being criticized for it's essentialistic tendencies and singular notion of identity. Standpoint feminism is still a useful strategy, as we can see what's still hapening in a lot of paternalistic 'development' literature. I would suggest that for the complete 'development' idea as a whole we must still repeat Mohanty's words: "... only from the vantage point of the west is it possible to define the third world as underdeveloped and economically dependent". Also, Mohanty is criticizing the Western feminist idea that secularization is the first step towards feminism. Secularization may have played a big role in the becoming of a white Western feminist consciousness, but this may certainly not be so for women globally. Moreover, white feminists tend to forget the diversity, the importance and the posibilities for empowerment of religions in other places of the world, she says.

i know i wasn't talking about the argument of the article i'm just saying that attitude i was talking about is addressed briefly and it stood out so i just wanted to say thats bullshit
[account deactivated]
when I tell all my friends in NYC or San Juan or Austin or whatever that I am probably gonna get married before thirty and buy a house and have kids they are like "what?" You mean not because you get someone pregnant? And I'm like, no I'm from Dixie, y'all.
Any northerner who makes inbred jokes about southerners is an absolute lunatic. We are some of the muttiest, most diverse mix-breeds in the world down here. To find as many inbred similar looking people as I do every time I travel north I'd have to go to Kohls or Target. *shudder*
All my information about the south comes from True Blood

it's pretty cool you've come such a long way that steamy gay interracial relationships are acceptable even in backwoods Louisiana bayous.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
All my information about the south comes from True Blood

it's pretty cool you've come such a long way that steamy gay interracial relationships are acceptable even in backwoods Louisiana bayous.

true blood is a far more accurate representation of life in the south than anyone will ever admit

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
when I tell all my friends in NYC or San Juan or Austin or whatever that I am probably gonna get married before thirty and buy a house and have kids they are like "what?" You mean not because you get someone pregnant? And I'm like, no I'm from Dixie, y'all.

thats me

[account deactivated]
should the Dixie and Yankee peoples be considered as two separate nations combined into a supernation dominated by one, like the English and Scottish peoples of the United Kingdom? after all, the Dixie people have a distinct identity, dialect, national history, economic circumstance, and social mores. food for thought.

discipline posted:
I'd watch True Blood but Anna Paquin's revoltingly fake southern accent makes me literally nauseous. Literally nauseous. There is literally nothing more nauseating to a Southerner than someone who pretends to affect the accent in a serious way.

watch the Arabic fandub problem solved

Deep southwest Virginia accent is best accent. Too bad northern industrialists are literally blowing up all the land and covering all the steams with dirt.
All american accents are bad, but I'm undecided as to which one I hate the most. From the north east, boston is a strong contender, but nyc is terrible and after watching an episode of jersy shore I just don't know. The south just seems terrible all round. It's so hard to pick; I guess midwest accents are the least offensive though, which is another reason why living in the heart of america isn't the worst thing ever.
Texas accents are the best they sound like a gay Georgian person talking and I think it's great. I learned to 'talk normal' as a kid because I would get made fun of when I would summer in Nantucket with my family (ok not really but when I'd go out of Texas), but I wish I still talked likethat.
[account deactivated]
I've visited Charleston before. The urban parts of west Virginia are basically Fallout live-action RP.

Of course what do you expect when your state reps vote to change the logo to "Open for Business," after a hundred years of protests against foreign business interests.
[account deactivated]
Some white Chilean could never understand the struggles of the USAian Southerner...
[account deactivated]
Uh yeah but have you look at Chile on GOOGLEMAPS? Shit is real hard, lady. Mogadishu style shit, yo!
[account deactivated]
now that we've broken that taboo can we finally talk about the valid complaints of the men's rights movement
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
as a corrective measure against bigotry i have chosen to fetishize and objectify southern girls
I've been living in the city since my mid-teens and I really do miss Southern country girls a whole lot...
[account deactivated]
I have lived in quite a few different countries and to be honest when I think back on it I can't honestly say I ever perceived any profound difference in people's attitudes behaviours or actions wherever it was I was living
Because you exit within an enclave of white CISprivilege hth
im not white or cis
yes you are
[account deactivated]
no im not
[account deactivated]
ook, i don't want to start a fight here or anything but, yes you are. let's leave it at that and let's move on
i have more melanin and estrogen than any of you idiots ever will. ever. i'll, fckucking nujrture and support u