Ok, so the first thing to know about phenomenology is that lots of people do it, but no definitive definition can be given! I will start by giving a really broad outline with a lot of names you might not recognize. If it's disorienting, don't worry about it and skip to the second post.

I can do no better than to quote Merleau-Ponty:

Phenomenology of Perception (1945) posted:
What is phenomenology? It may seem strange that this question has still to be asked half a century after the first works of Husserl. The fact remains that it has by no means been answered. Phenomenology is the study of essences; and according to it, all problems amount to finding definitions of essences: the essence of perception, or the essence of consciousness, for example. But phenomenology is also a philosophy which puts essences back into existence, and does not expect to arrive at an understanding of man and the world from any starting point other than that of their ‘facticity’. It is a transcendental philosophy which places in abeyance the assertions arising out of the natural attitude, the better to understand them; but it is also a philosophy for which the world is always ‘already there’ before reflection begins—as ’an inalienable presence; and all its efforts are concentrated upon re-achieving a direct and primitive contact with the world, and endowing that contact with a philosophical status. It is the search for a philosophy which shall be a ‘rigorous science’, but it also offers an account of space, time and the world as we ‘live’ them. It tries to give a direct description of our experience as it is, without taking account of its psychological origin and the causal explanations which the scientist, the historian or the sociologist may be able to provide...

Implicit here are both Husserl and Heidegger. The former is the founder, though the term "phenomenology" has subsequently come to be associated with the latter. Merleau-Ponty continues,

...The reader pressed for time will be inclined to give up the idea of covering a doctrine which says everything, and will wonder whether a philosophy which cannot define its scope deserves all the discussion which has gone on around it, and whether he is not faced rather by a myth or a fashion.

Even if this were the case, there would still be a need to understand the prestige of the myth and the origin of the fashion, and the opinion of the responsible philosopher must be that phenomenology can be practised and identified as a manner or style of thinking, that it existed as a movement before arriving at complete awareness of itself as a philosophy. It has been long on the way, and its adherents have discovered it in every quarter, certainly in Hegel and Kierkegaard, but equally in Marx, Nietzsche and Freud.

The identification with Hegel here is retroactive. Hegel himself was not doing phenomenology in his Phenomenology of Mind and any connection between that book and the tradition that begun with Husserl is purely incidental and/or the fault of Alexandre Kojève. Once you become familiar with phenomenology, all kinds of people past and present become unconscious practitioners of it, including Aristotle in Heidegger's estimation and Marx in Merleau-Ponty's.

For the purpose of this thread, I will define it in three ways:

1) Its historical origins. This begins in Germany and straddles the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The origins of the analytic/continental divide (in both its real and alleged aspects) are with Husserl and Frege: two Germans that were working on similar problems and on mostly amicable terms with one another. There's also a somewhat curious character named Franz Brentano to discuss in due time.

After Germany, it spread to France and kinda diffused into structuralism and post-structuralism though the influence is clearly evident. Merleau-Ponty was a major influence on Lévi-Strauss.

2) The authors and their works. This includes, but is not limited to Husserl, Heidegger, Emmanual Levinas, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Hannh Arendt, Paul Ricouer, etc. as well as some normally associated with other things like Marcuse, Simone de Beauvoir and Derrida.

3) Applications to social theory. Here i would include the work of Alfred Schütz (and hence Berger and Luckmann), Pierre Bourdieu, David Graeber, and countless others I'm probably not even aware of.

There is a lot of possible ground to cover and many ways to go about it. I invite anyone with knowledge of any of the above to post about anything they feel like and we can all sort of teach one another. The purpose of this post was to outline the possibilities, my next post will serve as an outline/"table of contents" for the thread that I will update as we go with links to posts and whatnot.

Outline/Table of Contents (Work in Progress)

Franz Brentano
-Breaking empiricism at its joints
-"Descriptive psychology"
-Aristotle
-Intentionality
-Parts and wholes
-Influence on Husserl

Husserl
-Philosophy of Arithmetic and Frege
-Psychologism
-"Breakthrough"
-Epoche
-Noema and noesis
-Eidos
-Time
-Intersubjectivity
-The lifeworld

Heidegger
-Relationship with Husserl
-DID YOU KNOW HE WAS A NAZI?!?!?
-Philosophical hermeneutics
-Being and Time
--Dasein
--Readiness to hand/present at hand
-Later work
--Art
--Aletheia

Hans-Georg Gadamer
-Philosophical hermeneutics (again)
-Bildung
-Truth and Method

Hannah Arendt
-The phenomenology of the public sphere
-The Human Condition
-Between Past and Future
-The political lie
-Civil disobedience
-Violence

Franz Fanon
-Black Skin, White Masks
-Wretched of the Earth

A "post-Cartesian doctrine of the subject"
-Badiou
-Graham Priest
--Against mathematical realism/psychologism redux
--Dialetheism
-Frege, Cantor, Hegel, and Marx?
-An ontological turn?
--------------------------------------------------

That list is just to have something. Feel free to post whatever, ask questions, etc. I hope to get some serious discussion, but there are prerequisites for that and casual is good.

Here are some youtubes in the meantime

And a lecture about Frege that addresses the intellectual climate and talks a little bit about Husserl and psychologism.

Edited by dm ()

Here's another good series of youtubes with Dreyfus covering mostly Heidegger, several people here have already seen it but its a good overview.

Eidos84 has some cool vids. thanks for linkin to em.
i remember i made a thread called 'does anyone know anything about husserl' or something in another instantiation of lf and uh i think it turned out that nobody did. so i'ma lookin 4ward to this!!!
one of my Baby Ken Tries to Read a Book things was levinas....... i think i kinda 'got' the more religious stuff and a lot of the stuff that derrida won't shut up about the whole time but i found other parts really hard going..... im kinda interested in the commonalities between phenomenology and poststructuralism tho, although not to the extent that i'll actually do any independent research on it lol
great thread!! read the OP thoroughly, and awaiting further installments with _EXTREME_ interest
phenomenology, the study of phenomena, is also known as empiricism. hth (hope this helps)

deadken posted:
one of my Baby Ken Tries to Read a Book things was levinas....... i think i kinda 'got' the more religious stuff and a lot of the stuff that derrida won't shut up about the whole time but i found other parts really hard going..... im kinda interested in the commonalities between phenomenology and poststructuralism tho, although not to the extent that i'll actually do any independent research on it lol

it's every bit as related to structuralism as it is to post-structuralism. Merleau-Ponty is a good example here because The Savage Mind is dedicated to his memory and he was friends with Lacan.

Levinas got his privilege checked by de Beauvoir: "He is the Subject, he is the Absolute - she is the Other." followed by the footnote:

Levinas is probably the one most responsible for bringing it from Germany to France. he's also kinda weird imo. besides the religious stuff, he wrote about empathy and ethics by combining Hegel and Heidegger with the Other as Dasein.

Goethestein posted:
phenomenology, the study of phenomena, is also known as empiricism. hth (hope this helps)

Ok, this is an excellent place to try to delimit it.

The reason that I listed Franz Brentano is that he was Husserl's mentor. He was so into empiricism that he broke it at its joints, leading Husserl to give birth to phenomenology and explode its entire structure.

Brentano was an admirer of David Hume, John Stuart Mill, Ernst Mach, and Auguste Comte. Besides Husserl, he also taught Freud, the founder of Gestalt psychology, and a guy named Carl Stumpf. I'll briefly digress about Stumpf.

After Darwin's Origin of Species was published, there was a frenzy of interest in animal intelligence. One of these animals was a horse named Clever Hans, who appeared to be very skilled at mathematics. This attracted enough attention to create a commission headed by Stumpf to investigate the claims. Stumpf's assistant figured out what was going on and wrote it up here for anyone who's interested (no, the horse could not do math). I'll come back to Clever Hans later to transition from Brentano to Husserl

So yeah, the early days of psychology were not particularly pretty, which brings us back to Brentano. Brentano was committed to creating an "empirical psychology" that only drew inferences from what he called inner perception. How exactly this was supposed to work involved reading Aristotle as the first empiricist, attempting to reform his system of logic, and a really bizarre doctrine known as reism.

One of the things he did accomplish was to provide a useful frame of reference for how we think of the "mind" if it is somehow different from the brain.

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/brentano.htm

In modern terminology the word "soul" refers to the substantial bearer of presentations and other activities which are based upon presentations and which, like presentations, are only perceivable through inner perception. Thus we usually call soul the substance which has sensations such as fantasy images, acts of memory, acts of hope or fear, desire or aversion.

We, too, use the word "soul" in this sense. In spite of the modification in the concept, then, there seems to be nothing to prevent us from defining psychology in the terms in which Aristotle once defined it, namely as the science of the soul. So it appears that just as the natural sciences study the properties and laws of physical bodies, which are the objects of our external perception, psychology is the science which studies the properties and laws of the soul, which we discover within ourselves directly by means of inner perception, and which we infer, by analogy, to exist in others.

There's an interesting parallel with eliminative materialism here.

Daniel Dennett posted:
Suppose evil scientists removed your brain from your body while you slept, and set it up in a life-support system in a vat. Suppose they then set out to trick you into believing that you were not just a brain in a vat, but still up and about, engaging in a normally embodied round of activities in the real world.

He then admits that this was a "modern-day version" of Descartes's thought experiment with an evil diety. He changed "diety" to some anonymous "scientist" and the diety's magical powers to this device:

The idea of the brain in the vat is a vivid way of exploring these questions, but I want to put the old saw to another use. I want to use it to uncover some curious facts about hallucinations, which in turn will lead us to the beginnings of a theory—an empirical, scientifically respectable theory—of human consciousness.

He concedes that actually doing this is only "possible in principle" which is a strange standard for empiricism. Brentano makes a similar argument in the link above about the immortality of the soul as a basis for his empirical psychology. Whether or not this is a mere coincidence is a question for phenomenology. I'll borrow Wittgenstein for a sec and then return to Dennett "explaining consciousness"

Wittgenstein posted:
....because we cannot specify any one bodily action which we call pointing to the shape (as opposed, for example, to the colour), we say that a spiritual activity corresponds to these words.

"Where our language suggests a body and there is none: there, we should like to say, is a spirit."

And Dennett:

Notice that the spirit haunting our computer is looking at a Necker cube as though it were three-dimensional and there are only coordinates on the side facing us. See Edmund Husserl's Origin of Geometry: An Introduction by Derrida. I'll connect Dennett back to Clever Hans and then move from Brentano to Husserl in my next post.

Edited by dm ()

its really not a strange standard. it derives from accepting some first principles without which any conversation is fruitless
im gonna take dm to a harvard bar where he can tell off some first year grad student regurgitating gordon wood
goatstein dont troll this thread
[account deactivated]
Ok, so it's hard to overstate how radically different philosophy was at the time Husserl was writing and the problems to which it was addressed. I highly recommend listening to that lecture on Frege posted above or at least the second part. That guy giving it is a logician named Graham Priest who is very knowledgeable about philosophy as well as mathematics/linguistics/psychology/whatever. At around 10:30, he starts talking about Husserl and what he says about numbers as mental images (starting around 11:20) is what at the time was called psychologism (Psychologismus).

Exactly how much his abandonment of that view was due to Frege's criticism is disputable, but it did have at least some influence on him. The key here is the distinction of objects (mathematical or otherwise) and the presentation of objects. The way that thought could sort of grasp these things external to it was nothing short of miraculous to Husserl, hence his motto for phenomenology: "To the things themselves!"

These "things themselves" should be distinguished from Kantian noumena precisely because of this distinction between things and presentations of things. This new direction for Husserl was partially due to, but also in spite of Brentano. What he owed to Brentano (that was neglected by Frege) is the notion of intentionality, nicely summarized by Dreyfus here (thanks mister six). It's a bit more difficult than that, so I'll also quote Brentano on it, cited in Dermot Moran's misleadingly titled book:

Brentano posted:

Every mental phenomenon is characterized by what the Scholastics of the Middle Ages called the intentional (or mental) inexistence of an object, and what we might call, though not wholly unambiguously, reference to a content, direction towards an object (which is not here to be understood as meaning a thing) or immanent objectivity (oder die immanente Gegenständlichkeit). Every mental phenomenon includes something as object within itself, although they do not all do so in the same way. In presentation something is presented, in judgement something is affirmed or denied, in love loved, in hate hated, in desire desired and so on.

Brentano posted:

The common feature of everything psychological, often referred to, unfortunately, by the misleading term "consciousness", consists in a relation that we bear to an object. The relation has been called intentional; it is a relation to something which may not be actual but which is presented as an object. [Brentano adds in a footnote: A suggestion of this view may be found in Aristotle; see especially Metaphysics, Book V, Chapter 15, 1021a 29. The expression "intentional", like many other for our more important concepts, comes from the Scholastics.] There is no hearing unless something is heard, no believing unless something is believed; there is no hoping unless something is hoped for…and so on, for all the other psychological phenomena.

This was taken up by Brentano's students, including Meinong and Twardowski as well as Husserl, though it has been neglected in the "analytic" tradition that followed Frege and completely ignored Husserl. It remains a more or less unsolved problem in formal logic. I'll quickly digress on Meinong and Twardowski:

Meinong

Meinong felt that we had a "a prejudice in favour of the actual" with objects.

Zizek posted:

The Deleuzian opposition of bodies and sense-effect thus opens up a new approach not only to Husserl’s phenomenology but also to its less known double, Alexis Meinong’s ‘theory of objects’ (Gegenstandstheorie). Both aim at setting phenomena free from the constraints of substantial being. Husserl’s ‘phenomenological reduction’ brackets the substantial bodily depth – what remain are ‘phenomena’ qua the pure surface of Sense. Meinong’s philosophy similarly deals with ‘objects in general’. According to Meinong, an object is everything that is possible to conceive intellectually, irrespective of its existence or non-existence. Meinong thus admits not only Bertrand Russell’s notorious ‘present French king who is bald’ but also objects like ‘wooden iron’ or ‘round square’. Apropos of every object, Meinong distinguishes between its Sosein and its Sein : a round square has its Sosein, since it is defined by the two properties of being round and square, yet it does not have Sein, since, due to its self-contradictory nature, such an object cannot exist. Meinong’s name for such objects is ‘homeless’ objects: there is no place for them, neither in reality nor in the domain of the possible. More precisely, Meinong classifies objects into those that have being, that exist in reality; those that are formally possible (since they are not self- contradictory), although they do not exist in reality, like the ‘golden mountain’ – in this case, it is their non-being that exists; and, finally, ‘homeless’ objects that do not exist tout court. Meinong furthermore claims that every subject’s attitude, and not only the asser-toric attitude of knowledge, possesses its objective correlative. The correlative of representation is object [Gegenstand], the correlative of thought is ‘objective’ [Objektiv], the correlative of feeling, dignity, and the correlative of drive, desiderative. A new field of objects thus opens up that is not only ‘wider’ than reality but constitutes a separate level of its own: objects are determined only by their quality, Sosein, irrespective of their real existence or even of their mere possibility – in a sense, they ‘take off ‘from reality.

There are a lot of good examples of Sosein in economics. Zizek mentions Russell's criticism, but Quine also places such objects in an "ontological slum" in contrast with mathematical objects, which are apparently Platonic forms brought down to us by science-in-general rather than specific theories that we hold to be true in some sense (such as providing us with accurate descriptions of reality).

Twardowski

Twardowski had a lot of influence on Husserl in breaking free of Brentano. I'll borrow Moran's description of the difference between his and Brentano's accounts of intentionality.

Brentano:

psychic act--intentionally relates to--immanent objectivity

(may or may not be a real thing).

Twardowski:

psychic act--content--object--(real thing)

act relates through content to object.

With Twardowski, we can start to see this difference between an object and the way it is presented to us. This helps us relate the world as described by physics, psychology, biology, etc. and our subjective experience. We don't need to posit things like Platonic mathematical and logical entities in order for science to inform us about aspects of the world that don't necessarily appear to us directly or without the aid of instruments and so on.

Though he didn't discuss intentionality as such, Heidegger provides a helpful example here:

Being and Time posted:

One speaks of "appearances or symptoms of illness." What is meant by this are occurrences in the body that show themselves and in this self-showing as such "indicate" something that does not show itself. When such occurrences emerge, their self-showing coincides with the objective presence [Vorhandensein] of disturbances that do not show themselves. Appearance, as the appearance "of something," thus precisely does not mean that something shows itself; rather, it means that something makes itself known which does not show itself. It makes itself known through something that does show itself. Appearing is a not showing itself. But this "not" must by no means be confused with the privative not which determines the structure of semblance. What does not show itself, in the manner of what appears, can also never seem. All indications, presentations, symptoms, and symbols have this fundamental formal structure of appearing, although they do differ among themselves.

This "showing itself in something else" of appearing is like Wittgenstein's "spirit" quoted above. This is precisely where really bad philosophy of mind type stuff (such as eliminative materialism) trips up time and time again. Its proponents talk as if there were a sort of "mind stuff" to blur the distinction between brain stuff and the conscious experience to which it either relates or is depending on positions you hold about a number of really technical issues in various areas of philosophy.

There's a very close parallel between that and Brentano's account of the intentional relation. Brentano held the mind to be the product of an immortal soul that survived death. The eliminative materialists seek a "mind stuff" described by an omniscient science-in-general. They rely on hallucinations, altered states of consciousness, etc. rather than simply admitting that we can think of, experience, depict, and talk about things that aren't veridical.

Interestingly, neither she, her husband, nor Dennett actually have medical degrees. By contrast, Oliver Sacks does and has been influenced by Merleau-Ponty. Notice how he talks about things in terms of presences and absences, like perceiving things that aren't there or not being able to recognize things that should be there.

Husserl's breakthrough

This puts us in a nice place to talk about Husserl's Logical Investigations, which was his "breakthrough" into phenomenology. It is split into two parts, the Prolegomena (published in 1900) and six phenomenological investigations (published in 1901). It wasn't translated into English until 1970, with an abridged edition that was actually affordable not being available until 2000. This partly explains why he isn't particularly well known to English-speaking students of philosophy.

The Prolegomena was his refutation of psychologism and some of the arguments there are just as relevant today as they were over a hundred years ago. In the abridged edition that I have, this has been shortened from over 400 pages down to around 85 to leave more room for the six investigations. Maybe I'll read the full version some day, but idk because Husserl wrote way more than he ever published. His complete works are still being published in a set that is now 40 volumes.

The whole of the Logical Investigations was written in a strange gap between the demise of the system that began with Aristotle and the modern system that began with Frege. Dermot Moran summarizes Husserl's encounter with Frege in an introduction to the abridged edition:

Since the rejection of psychologism and the defence of the ideal objectivity of logical laws is now more usually credited to Gottlob Frege rather than to Husserl, it is appropriate at this point to examine the relations between these two logicians. In fact, they corresponded with one another on various issues in mathematics and semantics in 1891 (and again in 1906). Husserl was one of the first philosophers in Germany to recognise Frege’s work, and, although he had criticised Frege’s account of the nature of identity in the Philosophy of Arithmetic in 1891, relations between the two were collegial and mutually respectful. But, in 1894, Frege published an acerbic review of Husserl’s Philosophy of Arithmetic, in which he accused Husserl of making a number of fundamental errors. According to Frege, Husserl treated numbers naïvely as properties of things or of aggregates rather than as the extensions of concepts (the extension of a concept is the set of objects the concept picks out). Husserl had seen number as deriving from our intuition of groups or multiplicities and since neither one nor zero is a multiple, strictly speaking they were not positive numbers for Husserl. Frege criticised Husserl’s account of zero and one as negative answers to the question: ‘how many?’ Frege states that the answer to the question, ‘How many moons has the earth?’, is hardly a negative answer, as Husserl would have us believe. Furthermore, Frege believed, Husserl seemed to be confusing the numbers themselves with the presentations of number in consciousness, analogous to considering the moon as generated by our act of thinking about it. Crucially for Frege, in identifying the objective numbers with subjective acts of counting, Husserl was guilty of psychologism, the error of tracing the laws of logic to empirical psychological laws. If logic is defined as the study of the laws of thought, there is always the danger that this can be interpreted to mean the study of how people actually think or ought to think; understanding necessary entailment, for example, as that everyone is so constituted psychologically if he believes p and if he believes that p implies q then he cannot help believing that q is true. For Frege, Husserl has collapsed the logical nature of judgement into private psychological acts, collapsing together truth and judging something as true.

Husserl extended this far beyond numbers. One of the things that computers have had a lot of trouble with are things like Oliver Sacks was talking about in the video posted above. We (and others) somehow recognize specific people by looking at their faces so easily that we don't even notice it until we encounter people that have problems with it (such as Sacks himself). There's a certain element of "sameness" (identity) that persists through different encounters with the same person. We can recognize them in photos and possibly even cartoon caricatures.

Husserl's contention is that, while psychology can help us understand how this works, the "things themselves" (i.e. what is preserved in each act of recognition) isn't reducible to what is studied by psychology. In his day, the brain wasn't as well understood as it is now, but the philosophy of mind and the related disciplines still don't seem to be reality-in-itself, so I think the argument still holds. This is why I find that article I posted in another thread so hilarious:

Consciousness: The Black Hole of Neuroscience

“By the word ‘thought’ (‘pensée’) I understand all that of which we are conscious as operating in us.” –Renee Descartes

The simplest description of a black hole is a region of space-time from which no light is reflected and nothing escapes. The simplest description of consciousness is a mind that absorbs many things and attends to a few of them. Neither of these concepts can be captured quantitatively. Together they suggest the appealing possibility that endlessness surrounds us and infinity is within.

But our inability to grasp the immaterial means we’re stuck making inferences, free-associating, if we want any insight into the unknown. Which is why we talk obscurely and metaphorically about "pinning down" perception and “hunting for dark matter” (possibly a sort of primordial black hole). The existence of black holes was first hypothesized a decade after Einstein laid the theoretical groundwork for them in the theory of relativity, and the phrase "black hole" was not coined until 1968.

Likewise, consciousness is still such an elusive concept that, in spite of the recent invention of functional imaging - which has allowed scientists to visualize the different areas of the brain - we may not understand it any better now than we ever have before. “We approach now perhaps differently than we have in the past with our new tools," says neuroscientist Joy Hirsch.

"The questions have become a little bit more sophisticated and we’ve become more sophisticated in how we ask the question," she adds - but we're still far from being able to explain how the regions of the brain interact to produce thought, dreams, and self-awareness. “In terms of understanding, the awareness that comes from binding remote activities of the brain together, still remains what philosophers call, ‘The hard problem.'"

It's exquisitely backwards. What about our definite ability to grasp the material? A "black hole" for consciousness is what Husserl would later call the noema.

Edited by dm ()

hey man this is really cool, i haven't had time to give this a proper read&response yet but i really appreciate it. maybe this weekend i'll find the time
i like ur style dude

*sips sarsparilla*
man this is some heavy shit. where can i exchange my dasein btw
this is awesome so far. haven't had time to properly read and respond the whole thing but it's coming, don't get disheartened

mistersix posted:
Here's another good series of youtubes with Dreyfus covering mostly Heidegger, several people here have already seen it but its a good overview.

is being-in-the-world written like how dreyfus is speaking here? everything dreyfus was talking about made so much sense to me. also why don't marxists like later heidegger? isn't historicising his own understanding of being profoundly internationalist and materialist?!?!

shennong posted:

mistersix posted:

is being-in-the-world written like how dreyfus is speaking here? everything dreyfus was talking about made so much sense to me. also why don't marxists like later heidegger? isn't historicising his own understanding of being profoundly internationalist and materialist?!?!

chakrabarty loves heidegger

I'll keep posting more. I've gotta think about how to get to less technical stuff. Husserl is kind of a pain to deal with, but it's necessary. I'll sketch in some biographical details for now.

aerdil posted:
im gonna take dm to a harvard bar where he can tell off some first year grad student regurgitating gordon wood

it is in my horizon of future possibilities:

Heidegger posted:
To say that mortals are is to say that in dwelling they persist through spaces by virtue of their stay among things and locations. And only because mortals pervade, persist through, spaces by their very nature are they able to go through spaces. But in going through spaces we do not give up our standing in them. Rather, we always go through spaces in such a way that we already experience them by staying constantly with near and remote locations and things. When I go toward the door of the lecture hall, I am already there, and I could not go to it at all if I were not such that I am there.

you're reading Marcuse atm, right? Marcuse studied under Heidegger from 1929-1932. you can see the influence on him in his writings. Marcuse contacted him after the war and it didn't go well: http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/pubs/40spubs/47MarcuseHeidegger.htm

shennong posted:

mistersix posted:

see the link with Marcuse above. Heidegger is very problematic in a number of ways (also see Badiou here). Badiou does some interesting stuff with in Being and Event.

shennong posted:

mistersix posted:

It's basically the same but B&T can be very dense. Dreyfus has a couple of podcast series of his classes which are specifically on it. I can't find the normal links to them anymore but here are iTunes links.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=461120554
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=461120614

reading heidegger politically has a number of inherent problems. somewhere zizek describes him as the only person to try to critique "actually existing fascism" from the point of view of its ideal potential. his withdrawal from politics after the failure of "the movement" was followed by him looking to art, technology, etc as the location for solutions, since the only politics that even attempted to address the right issues failed so spectacularly ignominiously.

Ok, so I don't know a lot about Derrida, but here is some stuff that Dermot Moran says for dead ken and whoever else:

Moran (p.436-437) posted:
Since Derrida portrays himself as having gone beyond both phenomenology and philosophy, it might be argued that his oeuvre ought not to be treated under the rubric of phenomenology or even philosophy at all. But Derrida's path beyond philosophy is essentially a route which went through phenomenology. He began his philosophical career rather conventionally as a student of Husserlian phenomenology, writing a number of close, critical studies of both the Logical Investigations and The Origin of Geometry. In these essays, Derrida sought to expose the hidden metaphysical presuppositions of traditional Husserlian phenomenology, which, in his view, far from being a presuppositionless science, actually belonged the history of metaphysics. Indeed, Husserlian phenomenology, with its commitment to self-identical ideal truths, remains, for Derrida, trapped in "the metaphysics of presence in the form of ideality". Derrida's critique, however, does not constitute a complete abandonment of the phenomenological mode of enquiry, rather he wants to liberate phenomenology from its attachment to the very metaphysical standpoint it claims to have overcome, seeking to get beyond phenomenology's addiction to the intuition of presence. In effect, Derrida is 'deconstructing' phenomenology.

During his university studies, he actually went to the Husserl archives. His thesis was The Problem of Genesis in Husserl's Philosophy, which remained unpublished until 1990.

p.437-438 posted:
In this early work, Derrida shows himself to be well grounded in Husserl's texts, and also to have been strongly influenced by the French philosopher Jean Cavaillès, and the Vietnamese phenomenologist and Marxist Tran-Duc-Thao. In his Preface, Derrida examines Husserl's oppositions (e.g. eidetic/empirical; transcendental/worldly; original/derived; pure/impure; genetic/constitutive) arguing that Husserl ignored the manner in which these oppositions in fact enter in some kind of 'dialectic', and, as Derrida says, 'contaminate' each another.

And then here we go on the Origins of Geometry that I posted above lmao

p.438 posted:
In 1956–1957 he visited Harvard on a scholarship, with the pretext of studying some manuscripts of Husserl but actually read James Joyce's Ulysses in earnest (allusions to Joyce's attempts to escape history turn up in Derrida's introduction to Husserl's Origin of Geometry). Indeed, Derrida's later embrace of the double affirmative ('yes, yes') is a conscious reference to Molly Bloom's speech at the end of Ulysses, and Derrida has even called Joyce's work "a great landmark in the history of deconstruction".

He was also an assistant to Paul Ricoeur, who I'm reading right now.

p. 438-439 posted:
In 1964 Derrida was invited by Hyppolite and Althusser to lecture at the Ecole Normale Supérieure. In that year also, he published the first of his essays on Levinas, "Violence and Metaphysics", in the Revue de Métaphy-sique et de Morale (reprinted in 1967 in Writing and Difference). This important essay, a major review of Levinas's publications, played a role in highlighting Levinas's work. Derrida criticises Levinas's interpretation of Heidegger's concept of Being but is drawn to Levinas's notions of eschatological history, and his conception of ontology as inescapably wedded to violence and war.

On Heidegger:

p. 443-444 posted:
As part of this turn towards the political, since the late 1980s, and especially in response to the publication of Victor Farias's book on Heidegger, Derrida has also attempted to understand and evaluate Heidegger's political commitment to National Socialism. In De l'esprit (Of Spirit) Derrida approaches Heidegger's politics indirectly through an examination of the ambiguous role of the term Geist ('spirit') in Heidegger's writings of the 1930s, arguing that Heidegger's fatal connection with Nazism came through his commitment to metaphysics and voluntarism. Whereas Heidegger was initially cautious in his employment of the 'spirit' in Being and Time, he later adopts the term in his Rektoratsrede of the 1930s in an uncritical and dangerous way.

And on Derrida wrt phenomenology:

p. 444 posted:
To understand Derrida it is necessary to understand his rather restricted conception of the nature of philosophy. Derrida belongs to the second generation of French phenomenologists, a phenomenology which had already been transformed into a French philosophical outlook by Emmanuel Levinas, Paul Ricoeur, Gaston Berger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and others. Derrida himself emerged on the French philosophical scene at a time when the structuralist movement, and especially Lévi-Strauss, Louis Althusser, and Michel Foucault were in the ascendant, and the elderly Sartre and existentialism were already passé. Influenced by the rather special sense of philosophy dominant in France in the 1950s and 1960s, Derrida understands philosophy primarily in terms of the contributions of Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Levinas, and contemporary French theorists (Lacan, Bataille, Foucault). Philosophy as such can be summarised by the triad Hegel-Husserl-Heidegger. As Derrida has remarked: "My philosophical formation owes much to the thought of Hegel, Husserl and Heidegger". Probably because of the influence of Jean Hyppolite, Derrida thinks of philosophy as exemplified in Hegel's system of absolute knowledge. To interrogate the meaning of philosophy, therefore, is to confront Hegel.

Hegel begins to take on a more important role in France. Though I think I can recognize some influence in Heidegger (and the explicit references), he calls dialectics a "genuine embarrassment" in B&T. This Hegel-Husserl-Heidegger triad is also evident in Merleau-Ponty and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Ricoeur.

First and foremost, I would say, there is the idea of hermeneutics, which appears among the very first pages of “Sein und Zeit” . Heidegger’s great merit will remain in his having centered the act of philosophizing in hermeneutics itself. Forty years ago, when one employed this word, “hermeneutic”, among philosophers, it had a strange almost barbaric ring. And yet, it’s a term borrowed directly from the Greek and one that has its common usage among biblical specialists. We owe the technical definition to Aristotle: the title of his treatise peri hermenêias was translated into latin as De interpretatione. We can go one better too, for in contemporary philosophical parlance hermeneutics is that which, in German, is called das verstahen, le “Comprendre,” “Understanding”. It is the art or technique of “Understanding”, as this was understood by Dilthey. An old friend, Bernard Groethuysen, who was once a student of Dilthey’s, always came back to this in the course of our discussions. There is, in fact, a direct link between the “Verstehen” as hermeneutic in Dilthey’s “Comprehensive Philosophy” and the “Analytic”, the idea of hermeneutics that we find in Heidegger.

That said, Dilthey’s concept is derived from Schleiermacher, the great theologian of the German Romantic period, upon whom Dilthey had consecrated an enormous and unfinished work. Precisely there, we relocate the theological origins, namely protestant, of the concept of hermeneutics that we use in philosophical circles today. Unfortunately, I have the impression that our young Heideggerians have somewhat lost sight of this link between hermeneutics and theology. To find it again, one would obviously have to restore an idea of theology altogether different from that which holds sway today, in France as elsewhere, I mean that definition that has become subservient to sociology when it is not handmaiden to “sociological-politics”. This restoration could only come about through the concurrence of the hermeneutics practiced within the Religions of the Book: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, for it is therein that hermeneutics has developed as a spontaneous exegesis, and therein lie reserved its future palingenesis.

Why? Because therein one is in possession of a Book upon which all depends. It is indeed a question of understanding the meaning, but of understanding the true meaning. Three things to consider: there is the act of understanding, there is the phenomenon of the meaning, and there is the unveiling or revelation of the truth of this meaning. Now, are we to understand by this “true” meaning that which we currently call the historical meaning, or rather a meaning that refers us to an altogether other level than that of History as the word is commonly understood. From the very outset, the hermeneutics practiced in the Religions of the Book put into play the same themes and vocabulary familiar to phenomenology. What I was enchanted to rediscover in Heidegger, was essentially the filiation of hermeneutics itself passing through the theologian Schleiermacher, and if I lay claim to phenomenology, it is because philosophical hermeneutics is essentially the key that opens the hidden meaning (etymologically the esoteric) underlying the exoteric statement. I have as such done nothing more than attempt to deepen this understanding, firstly in the vast unexplored domain of Shiite Islamic gnosis, and then in the neighboring domains of Christian and Judaic gnosis. Inevitably, because on the one hand the concept of hermeneutics had a Heideggerian flavour, and because on the other hand my first publications concerned the great Iranian philosopher Suhravardî, certain historians stubbornly maintained their “virtuous insinuations” that I had “mixed up” (sic) Heidegger with Suhravardî. But to make use of a key to open a lock is not at all the same thing as to confuse the key with the lock. It wasn’t even a question of using Heidegger as a key, but rather of making use of the same key that he had himself made use of, and which was at everyone’s disposition. Thank God, there are some insinuations whose sheer ineptitude reduces them to nothing… that said, the phenomenologist would have a great deal to say about the “false keys” of historicism.

http://www.amiscorbin.com/textes/anglais/interviewnemo.htm

babyfinland posted:
http://www.amiscorbin.com/textes/anglais/interviewnemo.htm

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff to go over there. Heidegger fused hermeneutics with phenomenology and brought it back to philosophy in general after it had remained exclusively in theology for a while. His student and friend, Hans-Georg Gadamer as well as Paul Ricoeur did a lot there as well. I noticed that David Graeber actually cites Gadamer's Truth and Method in his book on debt the other day.

Heidegger began his studies as a (Catholic) theology student influenced by Aristotle and Neo-Thomism. While studying that, he read Husserl's Logical Investigations and eventually ended up studying logic and mathematics. From there, he moved to philosophy and connected with Husserl in 1916.

Edited by dm ()

gadamer is interesting to me, i need to oil have to read some ov dat

dm posted:
I've gotta think about how to get to less technical stuff.

Ok, this is kind of a pain, but there's some stuff to go over with Aristotle that matters a lot. It's actually at the center of a lot of the stuff I've been alluding to about "mind stuff" and will be helpful for understanding Husserl, and particularly Heidegger.

The tricky issue with Aristotle is the notion of substance, especially in relation to change and matter. "Prime matter" is produced by the interaction of substance and change. The world is made up of substances. Substances are generally things you find in the subjects of sentences. Substances have "accidents" (which we would now call properties) that are referred to by the predicate of a sentence.

A substance is both form (essence) and matter. Form dominates because it determines what something is, while matter just gives you properties. Substances goes under two forms of change: 1) alteration, which is its coming to be something and 2) coming to be (called a simpliciter). The former is becoming something else and the latter is coming to be in in terms of existence.

If someone dies, they cease to exist as a living person but they can still retain an identity since we can talk about people who are dead. This is where complications arise concerning the "mind" or "psyche" and similar things: "Where our language suggests a body and there is none: there, we should like to say, is a spirit."

Much of the mysteriousness attributed to subjectivity is a product of our language, culture, and the concepts we use to think and talk about it. A particularly extreme example: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/folkpsych-theory/

There's an important set of human cognitive capacities first noticed by social psychologists and philosophers in the middle of last century (see for example Heider 1958 and Sellars 1956.) The members of this set of cognitive capacities are almost always assumed to be closely related, perhaps in virtue of their being produced by a single underlying cognitive mechanism. To a first approximation the set consists of—

The capacity to predict human behavior in a wide range of circumstances.
The capacity to attribute mental states to humans.
The capacity to explain the behavior of humans in terms of their possessing mental states.

(See for example Stich & Nichols 1992.) The second and third capacities are clearly related: explaining the behavior of humans in terms of their mental states involves attributing mental states to them. But we should not assume without further investigation that all mental state attributions take the form of explanations of behavior.

The characterization of mindreading given above is too restrictive. In addition to attributing mental states and predicting and explaining behavior, there is a wide range of closely related activities. To begin with, we not only seek to predict and explain people's behavior, we also seek to predict and explain their mental states. In addition, we speculate about, discuss, recall and evaluate both people's mental states and their behavior. We also speculate about, discuss, recall and evaluate people's dispositions to behave in certain ways and to have certain mental states; that is, we consider their character traits. It may be that these additional activities are grounded in the three capacities mentioned above, but we cannot simply assume that they are. Throughout this entry the term “mindreading” is used in a wide sense to include all of these activities.

(Hint)

More on Aristotle later.

perhaps useful to some people, heres a (bit of a rambling) talk by wolfgang schirmacher, who viewers might recognize as "the guy who annoys badiou or zizek after their lectures", which involves some of the topics of this thread

i just realized i need to find links btw. everything i've read on the subject has been from books. maybe this should be the Rhizzone Journal of Phenomenological Research?

that is how Husserl talked about it and Heidegger as well, so it's part of the tradition. Husserl literally saw it as the science of all sciences and even compared himself to Moses (he was a Jew who converted to Christianity and explicitly ruled God out of the reduction in Ideas I).

in some respects, it's easier to identify its influence than its origins.

http://crowell.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/Publications/Husserl,%20Heidegger,%20and%20Transcendental%20Philosophy%20Another%20Look%20at%20the%20EB%20Article.pdf

Sometime in 1927 Husserl began work on an article he had been asked to contribute to the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Eventually, in the Fourteenth Edition of 1929,"Phenomenology" was published over the name "E.Hu.," though this version was in fact a very free--and much distorted--abridged translation by Christopher V. Salmon of Husserl's much longer text. Husserl's own final draft of the article is of interest in itself as a rich, concise "introduction" to phenomenology, but for several decades now scholars have been drawn to "the Encyclopaedia Britannica article" not so much as a text, but as an episode in the history of phenomenology. For Husserl's initial work on the article seems roughly to have coincided with the publication of Heidegger's Being and Time in February 1927. Husserl, who had long considered Heidegger to be his most promising student and true heir of phenomenology, but who had recently been experiencing misgivings about the "unorthodox" direction of Heidegger's work, appears to have taken the occasion of the article as an opportunity to measure the distance between himself and Heidegger and, if necessary, to attempt a reconciliation. Thus he invited Heidegger to collaborate, and their mutual engagement yielded four drafts: Husserl's original, a second draft with an introduction completely written by Heidegger together with numerous marginal comments, a transitional third draft, and the final version which contained little trace of Heidegger's participation. The final version testifies to the collapse of the collaboration. finally, to speak of him (together with Scheler) as "my antipodes."

Edited by dm ()

Ok, so the analysis of time is really cool. We have three levels:

1) Objective time: This refers to the time of clocks, calenders, worldly events that everyone else is aware of, etc.

2) Subjective time: This is the subjective perception of time. It's most easily noticeable when you're waiting for something, check your watch, etc. but it is always at least potentially there for you to notice.

3) "Internal time consciousness": This is basically awareness of the second level. At this level, there is a constant flow of time rather than a sequence. If you look at a clock with a second hand for long enough to see it move faster than the minute hand ticks, that's basically it. It's also noticeable with music in a variety of ways.

Understanding this third level helps you recognize when you're anticipating something, then perhaps remembering the exact same thing after time has passed. The thing being anticipated and then remembered is called the noema and each act of thought (anticipating and then remembering) is called the noesis (there are a lot of technical terms).

The noema remains the same through different acts of thought about it. The same act of thought can also correspond to different things. There are all sorts of different things that you can remember. Intuitively, you can see how certain things "fit" together in this way and others don't (or at least if they did it would be your imagination or a hallucination or something).

dm posted:
If you look at a clock with a second hand for long enough to see it move faster than the minute hand ticks, that's basically it.

i can't visualise this at all, you mean like a minute hand that's stepped and as it ticks, the second hand is moving faster than the ticking minute hand? man im dumb

It's weird the first time you realize that time is lke an invention, it's something being imposed on people... like why does Japan or Thailand or whereever have the same time as us? Probably because of war/capital

shennong posted:

dm posted:
If you look at a clock with a second hand for long enough to see it move faster than the minute hand ticks, that's basically it.

i can't visualise this at all, you mean like a minute hand that's stepped and as it ticks, the second hand is moving faster than the ticking minute hand? man im dumb

It wasn't a great example. Think of a single duration in which both move at different rates as you watch them directly for a little over a minute. The second hand moves at a faster rate than the minute hand even though they're both measuring the same thing. This is not to say that 60 seconds isn't a minute at the level of objective time, which you get drawn back into during ordinary daily activities.

Spoiler!

Think of something you're going to do tomorrow. You're already moving towards it at a steady rate, it will become the present, and then the day after tomorrow it will have already take place. Time keeps on moving. The present during which you posted what I'm responding to is also moving further into the past.
[account deactivated]

Meursault posted:
It's weird the first time you realize that time is lke an invention, it's something being imposed on people... like why does Japan or Thailand or whereever have the same time as us? Probably because of war/capital

It's been going on longer than capital, but yeah basically successive way of imperialism.

This is why I contend that phenomenology is quite relevant. At least in most English speaking countries, we really fetishize subjectivity and refuse to admit it. Like it would make that whole leap second thing a lot easier to analyze:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16625614
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/science/the-leap-seconds-reprieve.html

I linked those two articles because the City of London and Wall Street are likely to disagree on this one (cf. David Harvey on the whole frontier of space-time thing and world-systems theory). The BBC is much more in favor of keeping it than the NYT:

BBC posted:
The leap second was introduced in 1972.

It was added to keep our modern timekeepers - atomic clocks, which rely on the vibrations in atoms to provide a very accurate measurement of time - in line with our slightly less reliable timekeeper, the Earth.

Because our planet wobbles a little on its axis as it spins, it means some days end up being a few milliseconds longer or shorter than others.

This means that over time, the time based on atomic clocks, and the time based on the Earth's rotation drift further and further apart.

When this difference is deemed by the International Earth Rotation Service, which monitors the Earth's activity, to be approximately 0.9 seconds, a leap second is added to pull the two back into sync.

Sometimes a leap second can be added every year, sometimes not for several, with six-months' notice provided before action needs to be taken.

Those who wanted to lose the leap second said that the one-second increments were becoming increasingly problematic for a vast range of modern navigational and communication systems, such as sat-nav, financial services, air traffic control and the internet.

These all rely on having a continuous and stable timescale, so adding a somewhat unpredictable, one-second increment can be disruptive.

The UK, though, says any problems are exaggerated - and that losing the leap second could cause long-term problems, as the time based on the atomic clocks and the time based on the Earth's rotation would move ever further apart.

Over decades, this would amount to a minute's difference, but over 500 years this could be an hour, and over thousands of years, the Sun could be setting when atomic clocks claim it is morning.

Time zones would also probably become irrelevant. This isn't terribly surprising since physics has been trying to come to terms with it for a long time, even if it continues to be somewhat thorny issue for some people.* The problem is even worse than the dichotomy they described above though. We experience days because the earth rotates around the sun but the earth also rotates on its own axis. Our earliest attempts to come to terms with this survive in the form of geometry and calenders

Now our experience of a day is very significant even if we want to organize significant aspects of our lives around the vibrations of atoms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

I'm not too sure on the details, but places like Alaska have really long days and nights at certain parts of the year and the light deprivation can cause problems as anyone with jet lag or a job with irregular shifts (esp. with significant night-time hours) can tell you. They have even given these problems the status of a psychological disorder in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

*The following exchange is from a D&D thread:

It's a mathematical model that makes wonderfully useful predictions. But what does Ψ represent? And I'm not talking about |ψ|2 which describes the probability where particles can be detected. What existing thing (if anything) does Ψ describe? The Copenhagen interpretation, well it basically answers that this way "quantum mechanics does not yield a description of an objective reality".

In other words the very criticism being leveled at psychoanalysis in this thread. The response "well it's useful" is basically all we can say about the standard model too. And it's another example of the issue right at the heart of things, the relationship of symbol to reality.

Two of the replies:

Actually the modern interpretations of quantum physics say that it represents the actual objective reality, |ψ|2 represents our perception of reality. It is important to remember that we, as perceivers, are made of ψ values.

I think you need to study QM from a scientific standpoint some more before using it in a philosophical/critical theory context. The wave equation Ψ has a clear physical meaning, established by the Copenhagen interpretation. It is the probability amplitude of a smeared electron. This physical description is necessitated by the attribution of |ψ|^2 as an electron's probability distribution, as the this quantity (for anything, not just electrons) is equal to the probability amplitude multiplied by its complex conjugate.

Most of the claims you see about how QM raises questions about causality are sensationalist at best, and often pseudoscience.

Oh hey, interpretation is a significant part of what hermeneutics is about! Not dealing with these issues just displaces them.

discipline posted:
Space and Time Studies own... if I got a PhD it would totally be in Geography (or as my old prof used to call it, Jigrafee)

It's weird because I can't tell precisely where these kinds of issues got discarded wrt pedagogy. If you ever take an anatomy class, for instance, you learn that the drawings in the textbooks are pretty much exactly the opposite of an engineering blueprint. The pictures are like ideal composites to highlight certain features and don't look a heck of a lot like their real counterparts. This is why cadavers are used for training. I'm quite glad that surgeons don't rely on how an official body interprets a symbol to know what they're doing when they operate.

dm posted:
Now our experience of a day is very significant even if we want to organize significant aspects of our lives around the vibrations of atoms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

I'm not too sure on the details, but places like Alaska have really long days and nights at certain parts of the year and the light deprivation can cause problems as anyone with jet lag or a job with irregular shifts (esp. with significant night-time hours) can tell you.

i am super interested in this if only because i find clock time seriously anxiety-inducing lol. its worth noting that groups like the inuit who live/hunt etc above the arctic circle and therefore experience the season-long day/night cycle basically were not subject to time discipline until recently. my father used to live up there in the 70s and even at that point many of the inuit didnt have any particular regard for clock time and thought of it as basically being silly/useless

shennong posted:
i am super interested in this if only because i find clock time seriously anxiety-inducing lol. its worth noting that groups like the inuit who live/hunt etc above the arctic circle and therefore experience the season-long day/night cycle basically were not subject to time discipline until recently. my father used to live up there in the 70s and even at that point many of the inuit didnt have any particular regard for clock time and thought of it as basically being silly/useless

You don't have to use it just because it's there. There are plenty of activities you carry out without using it (having a sense of the time is not the same as checking a clock). You also don't necessarily check timekeeping devices every time you're around them. So what do you do? That's what phenomenology is about.

This is where things will get a bit weird for a second.

It will be helpful to understand a concept usually referred to as a "state of affairs" in English. Husserl was drawing on this guy, but it's similar. It's significant that the work was influential on Cantor, who was a friend of Husserl's.

In English, its most basic form tends to be like "it is the case that ____" or "it is not the case that ____" where you fill in something that is, in standard logic, either true or false. I'd make an important modification to this because I happen to believe that they can sometimes be true and false because they don't exist in and of themselves. This tends to confuse people really badly in English-speaking philosophy (and people speaking philosophy in English), so it will be helpful to employ a second imaginary construction called the "trivialist" who believes everything that you would deny (it is the negation of everything you believe).

Because it is impossible to keep track of everything that you would never believe under any circumstances, it's helpful to "keep around" whenever someone tries to say that this would force you to accept all sorts of really bizarre things. It's basically a transcendental strawman because you are incapable of confirming anything it would say, hence its negation is also simply things that are true.

Now from that it follows that there are a considerable number things that people would and in fact do agree with you about! Easy examples are the existence of physical objects that they can see right in front of them, though they might disagree about some details (at a minimum, they will be looking at it from a slightly different angle). We can take this to its logical conclusion with Wittgenstein's Tractus and it fails. But wait a second...

Descartes posted:
SEVERAL years have now elapsed since I first became aware that I had accepted, even from my youth, many false opinions for true, and that consequently what I afterward based on such principles was highly doubtful; and from that time I was convinced of the necessity of undertaking once in my life to rid myself of all the opinions I had adopted, and of commencing anew the work of building from the foundation, if I desired to establish a firm and abiding superstructure in the sciences...

...I will suppose, then, not that Deity, who is sovereignly good and the fountain of truth, but that some malignant demon, who is at once exceedingly potent and deceitful, has employed all his artifice to deceive me; I will suppose that the sky, the air, the earth, colors, figures, sounds, and all external things, are nothing better than the illusions of dreams, by means of which this being has laid snares for my credulity; I will consider myself as without hands, eyes, flesh, blood, or any of the senses, and as falsely believing that I am possessed of these; I will continue resolutely fixed in this belief, and if indeed by this means it be not in my power to arrive at the knowledge of truth, I shall at least do what is in my power, viz, , and guard with settled purpose against giving my assent to what is false, and being imposed upon by this deceiver, whatever be his power and artifice...

Wittgenstein posted:
1 The world is all that is the case.
1.1 The world is the totality of facts, not of things.
1.11 The world is determined by the facts, and by their being all the facts.
1.12 For the totality of facts determines what is the case, and also whatever is not the case.
1.13 The facts in logical space are the world.

It seems like we have a lot of room to navigate between these two extremes wrt what exactly this whole world thing is about once we admit change and subjects. In particular, we replace Kant's things-in-themselves with something more like Bolzano had in mind (and allow them to potentially be both true and false):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Bolzano

Ok, so anatomy is really good example of how ideal states of affairs work, but also happens to gross people out. I'll finish off the beginning of Husserl the hard way so we can move on to Heidegger and hermeneutics for a bit.

Here are some general links on him btw (besides wikipedia):

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/husserl/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/husserl/
http://www.husserlpage.com/

The rest of this post will be a placeholder for some interesting examples from his Logical Investigations.
Ok, so hermeneutics is the art of interpretation. Heidegger replaces intentionality with a certain kind of interpretation, which is why I thought it was important to go over some the more boring stuff about Husserl first. It makes coming back to it and shifting between the different modes easier.

Heidegger sort of subverts Husserl by going from the thinking ego to the world that is "already there". When we encounter "mere things" in the world, we project expectations on them that come from our prior understanding of them. But where does that come from? Being.

As a seeking, questioning needs prior guidance from what it seeks. The meaning of being must therefore already be available to us in a certain way. We intimated that we are always already involved in an understanding of being. From this grows the explicit question of the meaning of being and the tendency toward its concept. We do not know what "being" means. But already when we ask, "What is being'?" we stand in an understanding of the "is" without being able to determine conceptually what the "is" means. We do not even know the horizon upon which we are supposed to grasp and pin down the meaning. This average and vague understanding of being is a fact.

The act of questioning discloses this prior understanding of what the question is directed towards. We can seize upon this prior understanding and reveal another one, continuing in a sort of regress until the question can be properly formulated.

Thus the meaning of the expression "phenomenon" is established as what shows itself in itself, what is manifest.

And what I quoted above:

One speaks of "appearances or symptoms of illness." What is meant by this are occurrences in the body that show themselves and in this self-showing as such "indicate" something that does not show itself. When such occurrences emerge, their self-showing coincides with the objective presence [Vorhandensein] of disturbances that do not show themselves. Appearance, as the appearance "of something," thus precisely does not mean that something shows itself; rather, it means that something makes itself known which does not show itself. It makes itself known through something that does show itself. Appearing is a not showing itself. But this "not" must by no means be confused with the privative not which determines the structure of semblance. What does not show itself, in the manner of what appears, can also never seem. All indications, presentations, symptoms, and symbols have this fundamental formal structure of appearing, although they do differ among themselves.

This clearly draws on Husserl's first investigation in the second book of Logical Investigations. He also distinguishes himself from Husserl here because Husserl was concerned with the way things appear to us. Heidegger is concerned with the fact that they appear in the first place.