so you probably know that 30,000 california prisoners are protesting for better conditions especially in prison SHUs, with many on hunger strike (flyer here http://kasamaproject.org/en/repression/4457-strike-the-prisons)

but i thought this post was rl interestin' http://solitarywatch.com/2013/07/10/faces-and-voices-of-the-california-prison-hunger-strike/
i think the fact 30k prisoners can coordinate a strike from within entirely controlled and locked down environments also says a lot about the poverty of imagination of those who make arguments about resistance being made impossible due to new technologies of control and so on.... any thoughts??? comments??????
that page is depressing

jools posted:

i think the fact 30k prisoners can coordinate a strike from within entirely controlled and locked down environments also says a lot about the poverty of imagination of those who make arguments about resistance being made impossible due to new technologies of control and so on.... any thoughts??? comments??????

maybe but to play devils advocate this strike probably wont accomplish anything

pelican bay sounds like it should be a suburb of mcmansions in south carolina.

babyfinland posted:

jools posted:

well, what do you mean by won't accomplish anything? you think concessions are impossible to get?

jools posted:

babyfinland posted:

jools posted:

well, what do you mean by won't accomplish anything? you think concessions are impossible to get?

ive already lost energy to play the devils advocate nevermind Julian. you win again.

classic jools...
*carves notch in desk*
*carves roast chicken on chest*

jools posted:

You'd be surprised of the "limits of possibilities" offered inside a prison, especially among people who existentially realize they really have nothing to lose. The whole problem on the outside is that whole "Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls."

julian smacks his lips and rubs his hands together. another own. and another. another. all there is is ownage now. the old cares, the responsibilities, they're miles away. he takes another massive hit of amyl nitrate and sighgrunts as his mind at once sharpens and broadens. one more ativan? no. no. need to focus. he flexes his hands over the keyboard, taps his mouse hand twice on his scarred and maimed desk, clicks another thread. glory

jools posted:

i think its clearly more a lack of motivation than of imagination

lack of motivation/glut of distraction
I think the new methods of control arent really present in a prison i dont think they're monitoring these guys emails and face books or nothing. whats changed in a prison since like 1940 except deliberate racial strife & some cctv monitors.
uhhh... the very things being protested against? the SHUs?
the scale of them? i mean you're just saying whats changed apart from all the things that have changed... perhaps we on the outside are the true prisoners.....
In what sense is long term solitary confinement new or related to anything anyones talking about re: new social controls in larger society beyond extremely broad stuff about the isolating effects of technology.
theres also the fact the new social media NSA stuff coerces people to self-censor and capitulate to authority exactly by using the potential threat of years of imprisonment, a threat which is toothless to those already in prison
how on earth are my facebook chats being read a potential threat of years of imprisonment lol
check your privilege

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

10.18.77 Stammheim never forget

jools posted:

how on earth are my facebook chats being read a potential threat of years of imprisonment lol

lol looks like you and me have been having two completely different kinds of facebook chats

Superabound posted:

theres also the fact the new social media NSA stuff coerces people to self-censor and capitulate to authority exactly by using the potential threat of years of imprisonment, a threat which is toothless to those already in prison

the nsa stuff probably excited more people in the hope that they're interesting enough to be watched than it coerced anyone into self-censorship.

[account deactivated]

tentativelurkeraccount posted:

the nsa stuff probably excited more people in the hope that they're interesting enough to be watched than it coerced anyone into self-censorship.

well except of course for all those freedom-hating terrorists who THANKS TO THAT TRAITOR SNOWDEN will now change their tactics, rendering the program less effective at protecting all Americans, which is its only intended goal. right?

i think it's clear that when workers live in barracks together it's a lot more likely that there will be collective unrest toward conditions barring some sort of military order

even then it sometimes happens of course
i mean for those who argue for the impact of those mechanisms of control isn't the whole point that they are more effective because they exercise subtle control over multiple spheres of life rather than collapsing them into one sphere and one control mechanism that can be struggled against directly?
look at workers in china, right? when your weekly interaction with your family mostly involves sending them money while your life outside of work involves sitting around and playing cards with a gang of people from your ancestral region under the watchful eye of company security then how much easier is it to riot

daddyholes posted:

look at workers in china, right? when your weekly interaction with your family mostly involves sending them money while your life outside of work involves sitting around and playing cards with a gang of people from your ancestral region under the watchful eye of company security then how much easier is it to riot

why don't they riot more often

it's a good question
i'm not sure i understand how this is accomplished... how do they keep the guards from eating?
hyphen

getfiscal posted:

pelican bay sounds like it should be a suburb of mcmansions in south carolina.

they name a lot of those developments there after the nearby plantations that's close enough

MiJVt8oHsCs

slumlord posted:

daddyholes posted:

why don't they riot more often

i think 100k/year is pretty decent

The Chronic-ills of Ridic: Escape from Pelican Bay
My grandmother is literally a member of a country club called the plantation. Its a pretty sweet course don't hate.

jools posted:

i think 100k/year is pretty decent

generally it's the multiple x (chance of fuckin dying on the job) that does it i imagine