[account deactivated]
wait osrry i meant 30:00
my favorite jimi hendrix song is hey joe
[account deactivated]
hahah sorry. seriously the best part is 50:00. i keep getting confused bc its the same guy a few times in the vid
clarence Rock with me a Minute. 49:50
pfft if you listen to jimi hendrix, almost all modern music is pathetic. Gentlemen listen to music with historical pedigree and moral themes.

*plays jacobites by name for the thousandth time, damn all treacherous catholics*

*consults the book of songs*
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
hes a fucker.
[account deactivated]
Apparently nobody put a real version of the original on youtube, but here's a modern, toned down version I play on the way to work sometimes:

In honour of Orthodox Christians and the reclaiming of Roman lands there is always the following, which is apparently the original lyrics thank god (I don't speak Russian):

now we are rocking, yes?
[account deactivated]
Who said anything about "niggers" and thieves? I am not worried about the tune, that is a lesser, inferior question. So telling of your character that you would get riled up about that, tpaine, you rank commoner.
[account deactivated]
aristocracy yay

Edited by Lykourgos ()

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i don't listen to jimi gendrix because he ripped off some obscure blacker musician or whatever and you're a gibbous faggot for even thinking of likeing him.

best hendrix shreds vid

tpaine posted:

wow. that is awesome and you are awesome. zomg.

thank you, now end Turkey it is awful

[account deactivated]
no prob. here ya go

here there is a guitar in this song

probably, I never actually took music in school. A guitar is that thing in the Homeric Hymn to Hermes, right?
how could you not have taken music you ponce it's one of the core disciplines of the quadrivium
Welcome to the degenerate modern world, where our education is corrupted and cut short. death to modern academia. We are all inferior to the ancients because of our inferior education, our inferior class standing, our inferior society, our inferior diet and exercise, our inferior everything. 柏拉图万岁。
[account deactivated]
lol plato used to bitch constantly about modern musicians ignoring the perfect order of pythagoreas' rules of form

though like most stuff the greeks took credit for it was stolen from the persians, but they threw out the melodic rule set of dastgah keeping what they could recall of the modal forms because remembering two things simultaneously was too hard for those kiddie diddlers

and of course polyphony was way beyond their diseased, lesion-marked brains. it would take the superior breeding of the northern european ubermenschen to come up with that one

tpaine posted:

shutt uppp

Gladly, I would happily be silent when all americans and commoners are quiet. It is not for the average man to enquire into politics and fundamental ethical questions, it simply isn't. America's greatest sin is to pretend that the cobbler can weigh in on the president; it's not for the cobbler to select men of quality, it's not for the shelf-stacker to judge the British Empire, and Aristotle did make clear that young men are not fit for politics. America is a wretched nation of fools shooting from the hip on topics that will never be within their grasp.

Politics is for old, learned men. It is sin to suggest otherwise.

which of course brings us back to the subject of this thread, realizing the most effective approach comes from a syncretic adoption of pythagorean intervals with persian and turkic order

Lykourgos posted:

It should be a criminal offence to use the term Hypostasis unless you've read Plotinus or are an orthodox priest

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/01/interview_trey_spruance_secret_chiefs3.php

What sparked your continued fascination with Pythagorean concepts, and how did you get started on the path to finding the influence of Pythagoras across centuries of Western and non-Western thought?

Yeah, that's a good question. It's not that I started out looking at Pythagoras and going, "Whoa, cool, I'm going to check out Pythagoras." It's just this default you end up in. Actually, I was just reading Suhrawardi, who was a Persian mystical philosopher from the twelfth century. I believe in Suhrawardi; a very practical outlook comes together in him between the rational intellect and the intuitive intellect and all of this. But he's basing a lot of his rational arguments in Neoplatonic philosophy, in a way. Once I was starting to try to get at the bases he was establishing, so that he could have the other half of things, which is sort of the mystical, enlightenment part of things.

Henry Corbin, who pretty much introduced Suhrawardi to the West, called him the "Hellenite magi" because he had one foot in the Hellenic world and one foot in ancient Zoroastrian mysticism. So it was that and the subsequent schools of Ishraqi schools of philosophy and doing background research on Neoplatonic philosophy that led me back to the Stoics first.

And that really ended up forcing me to look at the pre-Socratics and that way you inevitably deal with Pythagoras, and out comes the compass, and pretty soon you're learning about where those interesting geometric shapes in mosques come from and what the relationship between some of those things are to our musical scales. And why the fuck are we playing equal-tempered musical scales? It fires you up to try something else.

Obviously you've read The Enneads, by Plotinus.

Of course! Exactly! The third book of The Enneads is what threw me back to the pre-Socratics, definitely. Also, Plato's Timaeus. People sneer about Plato these days, and I think it's kind of sad in a way, because it's sort of like sneering about Ravel or Stravinsky. I can't sneer about that and say, "Well, I hate Western music."

Those guys are masters that are beyond my ability to even conceive of what they were doing in a certain way. It's really ludicrous that we think we know who Plato is and what he was saying. I still feel like I've barely even scratched the surface at all. In certain ways, when I hear people having all these opinions, I think, "What?! What are you talking about?"

I think that the Muslim philosophers of the Sassanid era were very good at synthesizing Platonic ideas and Neoplatonic ideas and adjusting them into the Muslim worldview -- which is helpful, because it is a parallel development in philosophy that didn't happen in the Christian world. And it's very sad that it didn't, because a lot of possibilities were overlooked and erased, and some other choices were made that were devastating.

[account deactivated]

peepaw posted:

I am pleased to learn of his reverance for Plato and his reading of the Enneads. One thing that always makes me smile is how everyone that touches Plato feels that they know what he was saying. Plato was truly a special person. Thankfully Plotinus, through Porphyry, tells us we will all give the divine in ourselves to the divine in us all, and be one with Plato again.

what the fuck are you spooge sponges gibbering about
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

You know you're nuts with these sponges! George is gettin' frustrated!!

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

what the fuck are you spooge sponges gibbering about

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

someone on sa called sc3 monkeycheese years ago when i posted about them. what the fuck is wrong with people?

i dont know, what the fuck IS wrong with people... who listen to mr bungle derived bands past the age of 13 O____o

[account deactivated]