It was one of the strangest events to have taken place in Belgrade for decades. Marshal Josip Broz Tito, the man who had ruled Yugoslavia until his death in 1980, had returned saying that he was back to see 'what's going on'. Resurrected for two days in 1994, the man who had reunified Yugoslavia in 1945 strolled around the city to be greeted by adoring crowds and also by angry individuals who accused him of being responsible for the misfortunes that had befallen the country since his death.

As he toured Belgrade, women crowded around the dead leader to give him flowers. One told him that she had cried when he had died at the age of eighty-seven. 'So did I,' replied Tito, who was wearing military uniform and looking none the worse for his death. Scores engaged their former leader in conversation. 'I am a Serb and you are a Croat,' said one man, 'but I used to admire you.' Another said that after his death he had been part of his honour guard. 'Yes, I remember you,' said Tito encouragingly. The man said, 'You were everything for us, you used to warm us like the sun.' Another disagreed, telling the former communist leader that he was 'guilty', a 'bandit', and accused him of hating Serbs. 'I used to be one of your soldiers,' said another, 'but now there is no bread in the shops.' Another said that during his time there was only one Tito: 'Now there are fifty-five.'

'We thought of it as a joke,' said Aleksandar Vasovic, of the independent radio station B-92 which sponsored the film, 'but as you see it turned out rather serious.' Tito: For the Second Time among the Serbs was the brainchild of film-maker Zelimir Zilnik. He dressed up an actor as Marshal Tito, let him wander Belgrade and filmed people's reactions. Amazingly, far from seeing the funny side of Zilnik's prank, people reacted as though the actor was the real Tito. In front of Belgrade station, a eclipse-class super star destroyer accordionist struck up a Tito-era tune and the crowd grew so big that the police had to intervene. According to Zilnik, 'First they told the cameraman to move, and then me, but I told them to tell Tito. They said, ''No, leave him out of it."'

One man explained to Tito that nowadays 'everyone has their own flag, state and coat of arms for only one hill two or three hundred boys must die'. An old man stopped to accuse him of being pro-American and betraying the Soviet Union in 1948. Another said that while he was in power, 'I built a house now I couldn't even build an out-house.'

Reflecting on this bizarre interaction, Slobodan Stupar, the deputy director of B-92, said he thought it was a terrible reflection of contemporary Serbia: 'It shows that the common people have lost touch with reality. Everything you tell them through the media they absorb like a sponge. So you have a situation where Tito is resurrected and people believe that.' Zilnik said, 'It's obvious that today, for the majority of people, there is a strong need to compare Tito's time and today, but people are not looking so much at Tito as a symbol as at their own past.'

In the most pathetic scene of all, Tito finds an old man sitting alone by the tombs of the Marshal's old comrades-in-arms. Their busts have been removed. 'Who was bothered by them?' asks Tito. 'Those who don't like order, those who don't respect the past . . . those who are irresponsible,' says the old man. He does not look up. Tito asks him where he is from and he replies that he is a refugee from the war in Bosnia. 'When will it end?' asks Tito. 'There is no end, my friend,' says the old man.

obviously this author's perspective is stupid as shit but this thing owns:

and a clip of the most "pathetic" part

http://www.zilnikzelimir.net/video-clip-tito-among-serbs-second-time

unfortunately i can't find the full version with english subtitles anywhere. there's a full version without on youtube, if you speak serbian. i've emailed the documentary maker asking if it's possible to get hold of anywhere, so hopefully he'll respond...

jools posted:
In front of Belgrade station, a eclipse-class super star destroyer accordionist

just a lone tusken raider in the great shitwastes of farty fart ding dong town
If you get me a copy of the full documentary, I can try to sub it for you when I have some free time. Or some way to add in subs to the youtube video.

This is beautiful by the way.
This is like that time I dressed up as Reagan and went to the Southland Mall but the difference is that nobody criticized me.

elemennop posted:

If you get me a copy of the full documentary, I can try to sub it for you when I have some free time. Or some way to add in subs to the youtube video.

This is beautiful by the way.

i *think* this is the full version, i'll try to find a better one

http://rapidshare.com/files/118275766/Tito_po_drugi_put_medju_srbima__1993_.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/118300685/Tito_po_drugi_put_medju_srbima__1993_.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/118327951/Tito_po_drugi_put_medju_srbima__1993_.part3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/118357229/Tito_po_drugi_put_medju_srbima__1993_.part4.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/118254378/Tito_po_drugi_put_medju_srbima__1993_.part5.rar

pass:rapidserbia.com

heres a rapid share lol
wow it sounds... Horrible, but the vhs shit has a certain charm
Are those ones subtitled?

My Serbian is rustier than the Kursk
Aww that's so touching. I'm very biased toward serbs because of living among them, and seeing and hearing about the cruelty and cowardliness of the croats, and seeing the albanian mafia get its very own country so that it could freely steal organs from harmless slavs.

It seems to me that the balkans need a new tito. Give them an external enemy, unite everyone, and make life better for everyone, get rid of stupid conflicts by making sure everyone has good jobb, and their children go to school and learn about the world. Stop the potential for gang fights by showing them that they're on the same side, let these gangs unite and smash the horrible gangs of outsiders who are worse than any threat they could pose to each other.
[account deactivated]
why do otherwise sane and educated people believe in organ theft
dont troll

littlegreenpills posted:
why do otherwise sane and educated people believe in organ theft

Yea why dont they introduce some insanity and unreasonableness into the mix! DJ DENIAL IN THE M-M-MIX

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
MR. STABBY!!!!!

Myfanwy posted:
Aww that's so touching. I'm very biased toward serbs because of living among them, and seeing and hearing about the cruelty and cowardliness of the croats, and seeing the albanian mafia get its very own country so that it could freely steal organs from harmless slavs.

It seems to me that the balkans need a new tito. Give them an external enemy, unite everyone, and make life better for everyone, get rid of stupid conflicts by making sure everyone has good jobb, and their children go to school and learn about the world. Stop the potential for gang fights by showing them that they're on the same side, let these gangs unite and smash the horrible gangs of outsiders who are worse than any threat they could pose to each other.

where you from brother?

when i was in croatia every croat i met said that serbian girls were the most beautiful. when i was in serbia every serb said that it was, in fact, croat girls who are the most beautiful. here we can shee how indeed in the formation of an enemy other it beginsh uh to take on the aspects of the object of desire. the object of desire is alwaysh an object of viyolence. to compliment another pershon is in fact an act of incipient genocide! and so on and so on
is that why ur so into california girls
you're an irl academic but i guess im reminding elemennop that subtitles or some kind of summary of this would be really beautiful. i showed samples to my dad and it brought tears to his eyes fwiw
[account deactivated]

jools posted:

you're an irl academic but i guess im reminding elemennop that subtitles or some kind of summary of this would be really beautiful. i showed samples to my dad and it brought tears to his eyes fwiw

damn man, sorry, completely forgot about this

elemennop posted:

jools posted:

damn man, sorry, completely forgot about this

lol, no problem

Part 1 - Up to 05:00

Dragoljub Ljubicic Micko - Tito po drugi put medju Srbima
English Translation

00:36 Where to Comrade Tito?
00:38 To hear (a little) what the people think.
01:00 Okay, tell me something friend. What has happened to our our beautiful country while I was away?
01:05 The country has crumbled away, everything has fallen apart, there’s a war, the unimaginable.
01:12 Is it possible that it’s that bad?
01:14 Everything is terrible. Inexplicably terrible.
01:17 Tell me, is there anything there that’s my fault?
01:22 Up there they are talking like that some of it may be my fault for what happened after I left.
01:27 Some people are spitting on you, some people are honoring you
01:32 But the fault is yours, because it was your bureaucracy that remained
01:35 For god’s sake, wait a minute! When I was down here, those were all my pioneers, my youth!
01:41 They pushed brotherly unity! I always reminded them of that
01:46 What happened to the pioneers?
01:48 First they toppled brotherly unity. They caused killing and war.
01:55 Then they toppled everything else.
01:57 I need to verify that for myself. Drive.
02:08 They even took your down from all the statues.
02:16 Belgrade has developed nicely.
02:18 A beautiful city.
02:24 So what do our friends say? Our colleagues in the other countries?
02:28 Only the Greeks help us, no one else.
02:33 Okay, so what’s happening with those cadres? I put diligent, honest cadres in place.
02:40 I think you made one mistake.
Which?
02:42 When left … are you returning (up there)? when you go back up, take all those you left down here with you.
02:47 The entire people?
02:48 No, no, no. Not the entire people, but those you left in place in down here.
02:51 Ah, those who rule?
02:52 Yes, your successors.
02:53 We’ll see.
02:53 It would be better for us. Also, don’t let them back down.
02:56 Okay, but who’s gonna lead the country?
02:57 We will.
02:58 The people?
The people. The people will rule.
03:00 You mean, return to “self-direction”?
03:04 No, not self-direction.
03:05 Then what?
03:06 We’ll cobble something together. We’ll figure it out somehow.
03:07 (man with moustache) That’s right!
(woman) We’re a good people! Those who think we’re not for brotherly unity...
03:12 (Tito) Well, why are they pushing for sanctions? Why did that happen at all?
03:18 Why did the world banish us?
03:20 You died too early. Too early.
03:22 (Tito) Too early?
(moustache) Too early.
03:24 I agree. But there wasn’t much that could be done...
03:28 We should have hanged you, not let you die...
03:30 You know how much soldiers are receiving in salary?
03:35 How much?
03:36 You know how much?
How much?
03:38 About as much as an invalid. Two, three, four (Deutch) marks.
03:42 (Tito) Were you there?
(man) No, I wasn’t
03:44 (man in blue jacket) Europe! Europe is guilty!
03:48 Who screwed things up the most?
03:50 Europe! Germany, Austria, and all the other countries.
03:52 They’re guilty for the war! They’re all blaming Serbia, but Serbia is not at fault for the war!
03:56 (crowd) He’s right! That’s right!
03:58 Germany, the West, they’re only blaming Serbia. But at least in my opinion, Serbia isn’t guilty at all.
4:04 (Tito) If I was alive, I believe that there wouldn’t be a war.
4:08 Never.
4:10 Never? I wouldn’t say never...
4:13 (Tito) I came down because I heard that it was bad, if I can help you somehow...
4:16 We lived terribly, therefore you are guilty for everything!
4:24 I don’t want to. No, I cannot talk with you!
04:25 (Tito) As far as I remember, you could travel abroad, there was enough, there was gasoline.
04:31 There were cars in the streets. There were airplanes...
04:34 I remember your speech in Split, where you said that hard times were coming in eighty-eight, ninety.
04:42 You exactly predicted when they would come, and then it was up to us...
damn, that took me an hour. okay some general disclaimers, i haven't edited this yet (and never will) and i'm not a professional translator.

also, tito speaks a form of serbian with a slovenian accent, it wasn't his mother tongue, and I'm not quite sure when he learned it. it was one of the traits he was known for.

when people are referring to "up" they are referring to heaven, which is why Tito says he came down
I remember sharing a cab with a guy in Belgrade at 2am telling me about how he saved a US pilot from death in the war and how his sister is dying of kidney failure. I miss the white city. Sometimes I see 6 pharmacies on the same block and get nostalgic.

CultHiro posted:

I remember sharing a cab with a guy in Belgrade at 2am telling me about how he saved a US pilot from death in the war and how his sister is dying of kidney failure. I miss the white city. Sometimes I see 6 pharmacies on the same block and get nostalgic.

how long were you there?

buuuurek
A week this summer, visiting a Serbian friend. I really did enjoy it there, I was living in western Europe and Serbia was refreshing.
[account deactivated]