What you’re referring to is what’s called “theory.” And when I said I’m not interested in theory, what I meant is, I’m not interested in posturing–using fancy terms like polysyllables and pretending you have a theory when you have no theory whatsoever. So there’s no theory in any of this stuff, not in the sense of theory that anyone is familiar with in the sciences or any other serious field. Try to find in all of the work you mentioned some principles from which you can deduce conclusions, empirically testable propositions where it all goes beyond the level of something you can explain in five minutes to a twelve-year-old. See if you can find that when the fancy words are decoded. I can’t. So I’m not interested in that kind of posturing. Žižek is an extreme example of it. I don’t see anything to what he’s saying. Jacques Lacan I actually knew. I kind of liked him. We had meetings every once in awhile. But quite frankly I thought he was a total charlatan. He was just posturing for the television cameras in the way many Paris intellectuals do. Why this is influential, I haven’t the slightest idea. I don’t see anything there that should be influential.

Big Žiž swings back:

http://backdoorbroadcasting.net/archive/audio/2012_07_12/2012_07_12_London_Critical_Theory_Summer_School_2013_Friday_Debate_II.mp3

What is that about, again, the academy and Chomsky and so on? Well with all deep respect that I do have for Chomsky, my first point is that Chomsky, who always emphasizes how one has to be empirical, accurate, not just some crazy Lacanian speculations and so on… well I don’t think I know a guy who was so often empirically wrong in his descriptions in his whatever! Let’s look… I remember when he defended this demonstration of Khmer Rouge. And he wrote a couple of texts claiming: No, this is Western propaganda. Khmer Rouge are not as horrible as that.” And when later he was compelled to admit that Khmer Rouge were not the nicest guys in the Universe and so on, his defense was quite shocking for me. It was that “No, with the data that we had at that point, I was right. At that point we didn’t yet know enough, so… you know.” But I totally reject this line of reasoning.

For example, concerning Stalinism. The point is not that you have to know, you have photo evidence of gulag or whatever. My God you just have to listen to the public discourse of Stalinism, of Khmer Rouge, to get it that something terrifyingly pathological is going on there. For example, Khmer Rouge: Even if we have no data about their prisons and so on, isn’t it in a perverse way almost fascinating to have a regime which in the first two years (’75 to ’77) behaved towards itself, treated itself, as illegal? You know the regime was nameless. It was called “Angka,” an organization — not communist party of Cambodia — an organization. Leaders were nameless. If you ask “Who is my leader?” your head was chopped off immediately and so on.

Okay, next point about Chomsky, you know the consequence of this attitude of his empirical and so on — and that’s my basic difference with him — and precisely Corey Robinson and some other people talking with him recently confirmed this to me. His idea is today that cynicism of those in power is so open that we don’t need any critique of ideology, you reach symptomatically between the lines, everything is cynically openly admitted. We just have to bring out the facts of people. Like “This company is profiting in Iraq” and so on and so on. Here I violently disagree.

First, more than ever today, our daily life is ideology. how can you doubt ideology when recntly I think Paul Krugman published a relatively good text where he demonstrated how this idea of austerity, this is not even good bourgeois economic theory! It’s a kind of a primordial, common-sense magical thinking when you confront a crisis, “Oh, we must have done something wrong, we spent too much so let’s economize and so on and so on.”

My second point, cynicists are those who are most prone to fall into illusions. Cynicists are not people who see things the way they really are and so on. Think about 2008 and the ongoing financial crisis. It was not cooked up in some crazy welfare state; social democrats who are spending too much. The crisis exploded because of activity of those other cynicists who precisely thought “screw human rights, screw dignity, all that maters is,” and so on and so on.

So as this “problem” of are we studying the facts enough I claim emphatically more than ever “no” today. And as to popularity, I get a little bit annoyed with this idea that we with our deep sophisms are really hegemonic in the humanities. Are people crazy? I mean we are always marginal. No, what is for me real academic hegemony: it’s brutal. Who can get academic posts? Who can get grants, foundations and so on? We are totally marginalized here. I mean look at my position: “Oh yeah, you are a mega-star in United States.” Well, I would like to be because I would like power to brutally use it! But I am far from that. I react so like this because a couple of days ago I got a letter from a friend in United States for whom I wrote a letter of recommendation, and he told me “I didn’t get the job, not in spite of your letter but because of your letter!” He had a spy in the committee and this spy told him “You almost got it, but then somebody says “Oh, if Žižek recommends him it must be something terribly wrong with him.”

So I claim that all these “how popular we are” is really a mask of… remember the large majority of academia are these gray either cognitivists or historians blah blah… and you don’t see them but they are the power. They are the power. On the other hand, why are they in power worried? Because you know… don’t exaggerate this leftist paranoia idea that ”we can all be recuperated” and so on and so on. No! I still quite naively believe in the efficiency of theoretical thinking. It’s not as simple as to recuperate everything in. But you know there are different strategies of how to contain us. I must say that I maybe am not innocent in this, because people like to say about me, “Oh, go and listen to him, he is an amusing clown blah blah blah.” This is another way to say “Don’t take it seriously"

Jodi Dean's maid refused comment.

is the nigga dead or what
in a sense of the word
he cease biological functions or what
[account deactivated]
THIS shit again
[account deactivated]
what happens when an Irresistible Force Man Who Says Nothing meets an Immovable Object Man Who Does Nothing
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

is the nigga dead or what

for someone so critical of us imperialist policy chompers sure seems to have an impeccable health record and also doesn't seem to mysteriously get cancer and die within 6 months or have his car spontaneously combust or randomly appear in a single engine plane crash. Hmmph <shoulders tiny bible> Guess that means he's doing God's Work and God's just looking out for him.

[account deactivated]
pictured: The Perfect Recipe to get Swole
whats sad is that professional bodybuilders eat that for each meal a day, 3x a day or more and no one even gives them credit for their ability to vacuum straight lard and worse: GNC faux-food supplements
eat 10k calories a day to compete for the crown of swollest michelin man in the world

what am i chopped liver??? i eat 10k calorie pieces of shit like you for breakfast.
your liver is less "chopped" than it is comparable to how foie gras is made tom

babyfinland posted:

what am i chopped liver??? i eat 10k calorie pieces of shit like you for breakfast.

[account deactivated]
pull your head outta your ass bounder!!!
i eat jokes like you for breakfast!!!!!
[account deactivated]
zizek is a weirdo

tpaine posted:

OOH!! LIKE HAPPY GLIMOAR!!1 TEH MOVIE FILM FOR THEATORS!! FUZZY ZELLAr DID HAZ A BEARD!! GO TO YOUR HOME BALL. TEH PRICE IS WROGN BITCH!!! SO MANY CLASSIC MOMENTS AND CLASSIC REF'S TO MAKE IN CONVOs with MY BROS. ANY OF YOU SEEN FUCKING AUSTINS POWER. FAT BASTARD? LEFT A FLOATAH? ATE A BABY? CLASIC SHIT. IF YOU MAKE A REF I WILL BFUCKING GET IT.

Try to find a theory inside anarchism, you can't. Why it is influential? I have no idea. Oh wait it isn't influential, never mind
they both do leftism weird. but only one has been an influence on Deadken's writing and that's unforgivable
Manufacturing Kriss-ent

animedad posted:

they both do leftism weird. but only one has been an influence on Deadken's writing and that's unforgivable

Fairly fuckin normal leftist here.

[account deactivated]

animedad posted:

Samkriss is a far more superior Zizek than Zizek himself.

blah blah

Edited by wasted ()

tpaine posted:

this guy is doing god's work

i like the way he says "bon appetite-ehhhhh"

Is this prior to my gut reaction hatred of zizek, because if not I called it, fuck chomsky.

also I have a gut reaction hatred of chomsky, so fuck you zizek I beat you to it.

gyrofry posted:

and so on and so on. Here I violently disagree.

First, more than ever today, our daily life is ideology. how can you doubt ideology when recntly I think Paul Krugman published a relatively good text where he

this is it, peak Zizek. I can't tell the difference between real Zizek and parody anymore

Manufacturing Croissant

Superabound posted:

what happens when an Irresistible Force Man Who Says Nothing meets an Immovable Object Man Who Does Nothing

Got your answer right here; Zeus turns both of them to stone:

"...Creon said that he would join the expedition if Amphitryon would first rid the Cadmeia of the vixen (for the Cadmeia was being devastated by a savage vixen). But even if somebody engaged to do so, it was fated that nobody could catch her. Such harm was being caused to the country that each month the Thebans exposed a son of one of their citizens to her, for she would otherwise have carried off a great number of them. So Amphitryon visited Cephalos, son of Deioneus, in Athens, and in return for a share of the plunder from the Teleboans, he persuaded him to bring to the hunt the dog that Procris had been given by Minos and brought over from Crete; for it was fated that this dog would catch whatever it chased. So it came about that as the vixen was being pursued by the dog, Zeus turned them to stone."

Edited by Lykourgos ()

zizek appeared in a "chief keef" music video released today wherein he danced shirtless in an apartment and pointed a gun at a picture of chomsky
[account deactivated]
mods change my name to big gucci zizek "zosa" 1488hunna