gyrofry posted:

where is the security culture thread

its in the hidden ATF forum

shriekingviolet posted:

we already had a decent discussion about security culture like 8 months ago and I doubt there's anything new to say except for some boring incoherent self important paranoia ramblings

um there's always something to add, because security culture is under constant pressure to reformulate, because of the nature of living in a dynamic security state, but hey you know i also realize it's paradoxical to want this discussion to go beyond "Don't" into "Do" on a semi-public forum and if that's why everyone's tone is so reticent than Let it Be

TheIneff posted:

tom is a cop for real and we should start looking for his division replacement asap \

looking at you get"presumed innocence""'fiscal'" "i'm from 'Canada' " (j/k though snitchjacketing isn't really cool and don't do it for fun or pleasure people)

jeffery " i see DEath around the corner and even if I die young who cares all i ever got was mean mugs and cold stares "

me " jeffery honestly i know and I Know but these lames think feds and coppers like to leave signed affidavits around that they're doing the lord's work "

why not have a conversation on security culture? anarcho-whateverists do it all the time and it seems like a topic worth engaging if you bout it (It aka Leftism) (((there is still no big Other))))

TheIneff posted:

I mean I also don't deny this is a hotbed for latent psychological disorders but so is literally everything under capitalism and that shouldn't be taken as an ipso facto invalidation of monitering concerns.

Remember that the only reason this incarnation of LF exists is because someone on SA literally threatened the president.

Damn dude, you're really scared of me lol

literally shaking

or maybe I'm just more sensitive to this type of stuff because of some other stuff and this particular instance isn't worth much of anything but I'd rather not concern troll someone's mental health???

EDIT: no you know what it's not just that, i still think the app thing was weird, i think bf's approach was weird, and most of us don't know what goes on in the lives of other posters so instead of doing the surrogate work of normative psych perhaps the truth is somewhere close to approaching the median distance of two disparate points

Edited by TheIneff ()

n/m dude
don't use the drakeweb without understanding most of it has been a honeypot from the rip.

That's my piece of advice and I hope everyone has a safe and healthy holiday season with friends and family.

TheIneff posted:

don't use the drakeweb without understanding most of it has been a honeypot from the rip.

well yeah.

prob has been a honeypot from the big, looking back
my tech savvy friends swore by it way back when with the addendum of not having another browser/bit torrent running at the same time but it seems like computer OS's are more and more being designed with constant connection assumed and always-running apps that reflect this. so i guess a starting point of something linux-based would be your best bet before passing Go.
*love* the drake
rhizzone has always been a cia front, created to catch dedicated leftists in a web of theory argument, mcrib status, and pussy eating tips to prevent real organization and revolution

gyrofry posted:

*love* the drake

in toronto the blue jays have at least three batters per lineup that use a drake song as their walk on music. i wonder who can beat that. maybe jay-z in new york or something.

TheIneff posted:

my tech savvy friends swore by it way back when with the addendum of not having another browser/bit torrent running at the same time but it seems like computer OS's are more and more being designed with constant connection assumed and always-running apps that reflect this. so i guess a starting point of something linux-based would be your best bet before passing Go.

Please nobody try to give technical security advice if you dont actually know anything tia

If anyone is interested in some actual good advice on this front, the principle is simple: it's less about what software you use, and almost entirely about how you behave. The best starting point for practical advice is thegrugq's "OPSEC for hackers" (pdf, video). A lot of other stuff on his blog is really useful, for instance NYPD's undercover social media manual, and his required reading list if you want to get serious about studying this stuff. Ganbatte.

Petrol posted:

TheIneff posted:

Please nobody try to give technical security advice if you dont actually know anything tia

If anyone is interested in some actual good advice on this front, the principle is simple: it's less about what software you use, and almost entirely about how you behave.

Yeah. Don't out the law enforcement accounts lol.

i love pussy eating theory and mcribs so thanks guys just please dont arrest me cause then i might actually do some reading with all the books you guys are sending

Petrol posted:

TheIneff posted:

If anyone is interested in some actual good advice on this front, the principle is simple: it's less about what software you use, and almost entirely about how you behave. The best starting point for practical advice is thegrugq's "OPSEC for hackers" (pdf, video). A lot of other stuff on his blog is really useful, for instance NYPD's undercover social media manual, and his required reading list if you want to get serious about studying this stuff. Ganbatte.

good thing i prompted that by saying "i don't know shit" lol

anyway this seems cool and useful if my carrier pigeons don't work out

the funny thing is that even though it requires a fairly high degree of technical skill, it's theoretically much easier for a hacker to avoid identification than for an activist. the reason is that it's practically impossible to ensure security when you are communicating directly with others. a fundamental part of good online security is compartmentalization, i.e. keeping any stuff you want secret completely separate from anything personally identifiable. by extension, that means you can't really take an existing online relationship and 'go dark' without linking the two and rendering the exercise futile. besides this, there is the previously mentioned problem that using encryption and 'darke web' stuff is a huge red flag for the cyber spooks.

tldr if you wouldnt want a cop to read it dont say it on line
do you like swedish fish
[account deactivated]
You're all under arrest

babyfinland posted:

You're all under arrest

take me now, I crave prison medical coverage