I’m a bit rusty now, but I used to have considerable familiarity with the edible wild plants of the eastern United States, which is one of the most fertile regions in the world, and I would be surprised if one could live and raise a family there by hunting and gathering with less than a forty-hour work-week. The region contains a wide variety of edible plants, but living off them would not be as easy as you might think. Take nuts, for example. Black walnuts, white walnuts (butternuts), and hickory nuts are extremely nutritious and often abundant. The Indians used to collect huge piles of them. If you found a few good trees in October, you could probably gather enough nuts in an hour or less to feed yourself for a whole day. Sounds great, doesn’t it? Yes, it does sound great — if you’ve never tried to crack a black walnut. Maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger could crack a black walnut with an ordinary nutcracker — if the nutcracker didn’t break first — but a person of average physique couldn’t do it. You have to whack the nut with a hammer; and the inside of the nut is divided up by partitions that are as thick and hard as the outer shell, so you have to break the nut into several fragments and then tediously pick out the bits of meat. The process is time-consuming. In order to get enough food for a day, you might have to spend most of the day just cracking nuts and picking out the bits of meat. Wild white walnuts (not to be confused with the domesticated English walnuts that you buy in the store) are much like black ones. Hickory nuts are not as difficult to cack, but they still have the hard internal partitions and they are usually much smaller than black walnuts. The Indians got around these problems by putting the nuts into a mortar and pounding them into tiny bits, shells, meats, and all. Then they would boil the mixture and put it aside to cool. The fragments of shell would settle to the bottom of the pot while the pulverized meats would settle in a layer above the shells; thus the meats could be separated from the shells. This was certainly more efficient than cracking the nuts individually, but as you can see it still required considerable work. The Indians of the eastern U.S. utilized other wild foods that required more-or-less laborious preparation to make them edible. It is hardly likely that they would have used such foods if foods that were more easily prepared had been readily available in sufficient quantity.

- Ted Kaczynski, The Truth About Primitive Life: A Critique of Anarchoprimitivism

Grains can be cultivated in a sustainable manner. There are sustainable methods of generating fertilizer for growing grains and pest maintenance as well. You can even keep monocultures somewhat, just not giant swathes of treeless fields.

One way of generating fertilizer, power, and hot water at the same time is using pyrolysis to turn wood into biochar, which is a really great long-term natural fertilizer and when you bury it you're actually putting carbon back into the earth. (pyrolysis is not burning!)

Also the worm composing thing I mentioned earlier is a good way to generate natural fertilizer from produce waste and poo.
[account deactivated]
dam. well we need a lot of white mages if were going to do pyrolosis on any sort of scale....
[account deactivated]
sorry but it seems to me that if youre going to be uhhh..."backpacking"...across America and unable to simply buy food in stores due to all the....backpacking....youve been doing, that maybe you could just derive your sustenance from the nutritious flesh of all the "pigs" youve been slaughtering
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
hunting is pretty fun and i recommend teaching your children to hunt so they get used to taking a life at a young age. long live peoples war
but seriously while the northeast may be forested it seems like you should really be using the oppressed nations in the US as base areas, meaning you should really be planning on sticking around what remains of the dismal swamp, the kush, and the colorado river basin

Edited by Urbandale ()

ill be hanging aroudn what remains of the kush because im gonna smoke it
[account deactivated]
err, sorry for those who arent familiar with the term the kush is the area around the mississippi delta
Actually, it means 'the weed'.
ya i can confirm that kush is actually a kind of weed. because i smoekd it all.
[account deactivated]
i see.... so this is how to apply PPW to the first world
frankly, im not too impressed
i said very little about how to apply PPW, merely pointed out some regions more likely to see activity than some new yorker's backyard
Gardening is for nerds. I get all my revolutionary food supplies on line

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

ya i can confirm that kush is actually a kind of weed. because i smoekd it all.

hopefully in a castle, otherwise gtfo

there's a food storage and MRE store here called Daily Bread (lol) and their huge ad on I-15 has a smiling black kid eating some soup. yeah fucking right.
[account deactivated]
People gardened and farmed a lot during WWII. Lots of people in America and Britain had grandparents who did stuff like that actually.

tsinava posted:

People gardened and farmed a lot during WWII. Lots of people in America and Britain had grandparents who did stuff like that actually.

uh, those aren't really good examples to the contrary since it's not like there were troops on the ground in either of those locations.

quick balkan story time. my great grandmother and others in her village would grow terrible tobacco in their gardens during world war 2. there was some band of cossacks that had defected to the axis side that would come through their village, and the only thing that kept them at bay was the regular supply of cigarettes they would get. my great grandmother also had a saying "the nazis would kill every serb and jew they came across, but the cossacks would kill every living thing in sight"

Farming is pretty miserable work unless it's a hobby or you're a large land-owner.
@dank_xiaopeng: how many of these hidden food forests would you need to sustain >10 backpackers?
how would these numbers scale out, and how long in advance woudl you need to plant them before backpacking?

@tsinava: could you point to any examples of communities & people implementing this sustainable infrastructure?
near me there are permaculturalists and inventor type people doing parts of this, sometimes with small government support; but fairly scattered & isolated.
curious to see examples of linking them up to provide more integrated solutions

xipe posted:

@dank_xiaopeng: how many of these hidden food forests would you need to sustain >10 backpackers?
how would these numbers scale out, and how long in advance woudl you need to plant them before backpacking?

@tsinava: could you point to any examples of communities & people implementing this sustainable infrastructure?
near me there are permaculturalists and inventor type people doing parts of this, sometimes with small government support; but fairly scattered & isolated.
curious to see examples of linking them up to provide more integrated solutions

There's a neighborhood in Davis, California called Village Homes that serves as an example of sustainable infrastructure integrated into already existing infrastructure that surrounds it. I'm sure there are more examples of places like this, this one is one of the more popular examples I could find. I'll keep looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmFVxPjG2JI

There's a more recent video about it on Geoff Lawton's website but you need to sign up with a name and email address. I don't think you need to confirm anything though.

http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=%22Suppressors%20Hunting%22

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

the kush because im gonna smoke it

Petrol posted:

Hickory nuts are not as difficult to cack,

Urbandale posted:

but seriously while the northeast may be forested it seems like you should really be using the oppressed nations in the US as base areas, meaning you should really be planning on sticking around what remains of the dismal swamp, the kush, and the colorado river basin

i know just the place to base our dismal swamp operations from. not sure if it's structurally sound but the current occupant could certainly be brutally murdered and it would be funny

my favorite unabomber prison essay is the one where he just writes his very own grandpa chain email story about how all other struggles must wait until we destroy all technology, where its like "'the right to suck dick can wait', objected the twee cabin boy to the Mexican commie" and he writes "the right to suck dick" 6-7 times