ok i found this story funny. the government currently has 280,000 applications from before early 2008. people paid their fees, hired lawyers, got skill approvals and so on to prove that they were able to do highly in-demand jobs in canada under a skilled worker immigration program. anyway the government was like hmm, huge backlog here, we need to really get on top of this.

so they threw out all 280,000 old applications. all rejected, all refunded, told sorry dudes, it's been over four years and we didn't get a chance to look at your file, see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya. oh you can reapply but you gotta go through the whole process again and yeah it's still gonna take years assholes.

government: and you trust these people to run the whole economy? jebus crikes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/01/montreal-immigration-budget-backlog-skilled-workers.html
fortunately all those "holes in the labour market" that were there before 2008 have closed themselves anyway!
Upvoting the first old-style getfiscal informative post to happen in months. Keep em comin Audrey.

noavbazzer posted:
Upvoting the first old-style getfiscal informative post to happen in months. Keep em comin Audrey.

n..no.....

so 280,000 people were spared the lifelong indignity of becoming Canadians, I guess some western governments are capable of humanitarianism afterall?
what skilled positions were in such high demand that they couldn't be filled w/ domestic labour anyway

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
so 280,000 people were spared the lifelong indignity of becoming Canadians, I guess some western governments are capable of humanitarianism afterall?

actually canada is a pretty cool place to live, you can go see movies or walk around the mall.

go to east side mario's and have some pasta. that's canada.
its not delivery its delissio
"little mosque on the prairie is done today. or maybe it was yesterday." - albert camus in canada
hell is the queen streetcar
[account deactivated]

shennong posted:
what skilled positions were in such high demand that they couldn't be filled w/ domestic labour anyway

those guys who stand in nightclub bathrooms who know enough english to offer a splash of cologne but not enough to start a conversation and make you uncomfortable

canada is full up, doorkeys gay hame

discipline posted:
ahaha wow, a reserve army of labor in your desk drawer

i have it on good authority it's actually a reserve army of welfare claimants.

bonclay posted:
canada is full up, doorkeys gay hame