Woohoo!

Someone told me that the developed world needs to cut its power use by 80% and the undeveloped by 60% in order to stop the acceleration of the warming?? Bwaa?

Edited by swampman ()

[account deactivated]
That's pretty obscene, but the waste heat is more of a technological limitation than a sign of capitalist decadence. A planned economy would be able to improve that ratio a little, but anything close to 100% efficiency would need an engineering miracle.

I'm less concerned with the relative size of the black and gray boxes than the stories behind the pink boxes. Those boxes certainly represent abject consumerist decadence.

Thank you swampman for the sobering graphic, now to take a shot of rum and forget the future
Actually i think we can take away some basics from that like Stop using coal, period. Destroy the coal plants
25% of our greenhouse gas emissions are from burning coal. most of the energy from coal is wasted - two thirds as waste heat in electricity production, then another quarter at least wasted in the end use of that electricity.

If we shutter the coal industry, the electricity supply is reduced 35%, the govermint gives us some ideas of what to cut. Ok, space cooling, gone. Space heating no fuckin way. (Centralised heat distribution for the truckin mother win. ) Clothes washers, dryers, dishwashers gone, all televisions gone and Bam. Coal solved. This is a fun thread!
I agree with dropping coal, and I'm down for cutting all of those things to do it.

The graph shows that the average waste heat of electrical generation is 2/3 and that the average waste at the site of consumption is at least 1/4, but it is not clear what the specific numbers for coal would be. It requires information from outside of this graph to know that coal is especially wasteful and that it is one of the biggest sources of greenhouse gas, though.

I know it's nitpicky but this graph alone is not sufficient to get to 'stop using coal', but yeah, let's stop fucking using coal.

A planned economy will not be able to contravene the laws of thermodynamics but it will be able to eliminate needless consumption. For the foreseeable future, the energy sources available to us to meet our actual necessities perform much less useful work than the energy released or even generated.

I think that the proportion of 'rejected energy' to 'useful services' can't be changed that drastically, but their magnitude can certainly be reduced by curbing consumerism.

The waste heat isn't the problem but rather the ends for which it was wasted e.g. air-conditioning my bachelor's McMansion so I can eat my bucket of KFC and watch the big bang theory, 150" from corner to corner, in my boxers in July.
i think i speak for everyone who works in a coal mine when i say, its awesome it's like minecraft
actually im using the waste heat from my bitcoin mining rig to dry strawberries
only a stalin type planned economy can save us from certain death, part 438
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=612_1480702830
Yeah there's probably a lot of that going on with wells but typically it won't be that obvious. People want to credit a lot of the bad shit going on with wells to fracking, but I'm pretty sure it's just the wells themselves. It's fucking gnarley how wells are actually drilled and completed. There's no way you can actually tell if there's any leaks. You literally just hope for the best when you complete a well. It's fucking bizarre.
High pressure. High temperature. Highly corrosive environment. Thousands of feet under the ground. You can't see shit. No sensors. nothing. With a bunch of coked out monkeys making sure it runs smoothly. l-o-l
Find me an engineer that can complete a well with certainty that there'll be no leaks. Then give that man a nobel prize cause he just solved a bazillion engineering challenges. Then stab him with the prize cause he's a fucking liar, just like everyone else in the industry.
clean energy. clean gas. ending our reliance on coal. god damn liberals are stupid fucks
yeah but sometimes wind turbines look bad on the horizon from the second story balcony of vacation homes so you really should look at every side of this issue

Spoiler!

e: go away for a day

Edited by swampman ()

Welcome back mustang
solar: yellow
geothermal: brown
coal: black
biomass: green
petroleum: green as fuck

swampman posted:

all televisions gone

I am told flatscreens don't need as much power as they consume, which is a consequence of how our electrical grid works rather than an inherent need in the devices.