[account deactivated]
thats p reasonable imo
all that is saying is that businesses are obligated to provide meal breaks but they cant throw you out if you want to keep working
I haven't been here long, but I know enough to know that I won't have many opportunities to say this: Goiterstein is making a lot of sense.
[account deactivated]
But the law hasn't changed. It's just a disambiguation. Just because workers can work through their lunch breaks doesn't mean a culture will arise where they're expected to do so. Employers still can't compel anyone to do it. A law forbidding working through lunch wouldn't even be tenable. Can't stop me from doing work in my head while I pretend to be relaxing.

Edit: I've had one job that was unionized. Coworkers would get angry when I didn't take every break to which I was entitled (apparently they worked so little that they could notice what I was doing at all times). "We FOUGHT for those coffee breaks!" "Sorry. Shit to do."

Edited by LandBeluga ()

[account deactivated]

hello lungfish

Hi, how r u. Plz rename thread "California workers still not obliged to take lunch breaks when they would prefer to work"

e: I didn't realize at the time that "lungfish" was a past user. I mistook it for a term of endearment/slur. I am not and have never been lungfish.

Edited by LandBeluga ()

Unpaid jobs: The new normal?
uhm it said right freaking there in what you bolded that employers are still obligated to give a 30 minute lunch break but the employee can chose to work during it if he wishes
my outrage.......
boy i wonder how these cases where people who want to work through their lunch break were getting into the courts. must have been the break police
another victory for freedom in my golden state

LandBeluga posted:
Edit: I've had one job that was unionized. Coworkers would get angry when I didn't take every break to which I was entitled (apparently they worked so little that they could notice what I was doing at all times). "We FOUGHT for those coffee breaks!" "Sorry. Shit to do."

lol you fuckin scab

with intellectual labor the term "work" is a bit more ambiguous so it's really hard to enforce anything, unless you arent actually meeting deadlines or producing thangs

thirdplace posted:
boy i wonder how these cases where people who want to work through their lunch break were getting into the courts. must have been the break police

probably a pack of vicious union enforcers, since the concept of a "union" is a ridiculous joke in a country of 1st world bougie parasites like Amerikkka. trot trot trot trot st

the plaintiffs work at a chili's heh
wait, so the plaintiffs were restaurant workers, talking about "missed breaks"? i dont really understand how that corresponds at all w/ the judge's ruling?

"Most of the time you didn't get a break or a rest period at all, it just wasn't a part of the daily operation," Hohnbaum said.

whoa it appears as if a republican appointed judge just took an anti-labor stance even if it makes no sense in context to the specifics of the case, weird.
you shouldnt have worn that short skirt, you shouldnt have neglected article 1023 sct 14
lunchchat. attn thread what did u have for lunch today.
i might get a ft job as a art handler lol and i don't even like paintings and shit
Lol as an ops worker this has already been the reality of my entire working life

shennong posted:

LandBeluga posted:

lol you fuckin scab

Scab? I paid dues, bruh.

aerdil posted:
whoa it appears as if a republican appointed judge just took an anti-labor stance even if it makes no sense in context to the specifics of the case, weird.

yea and if you look at the quotes the plaintiffs don't even seem disappointed. it's probably just some dicta the huffpo blew out of proportion but i'm not going to find out b/c if i wanted to read opinions i'd be studying for finals not posting on the rHizzone a playground for ideas

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

its still 10:24am!!!! who do you think i am???? tom?!

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
i might get a ft job as a art handler lol and i don't even like paintings and shit

hhaha thats an awesome job if you like to have no job security and to get never get hired againe if you ever get sick for even one day

aerdil posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

its still 10:24am!!!! who do you think i am???? tom?!

brunchchat

What do you think grover eats for lunch
certainly never crow, though often his own foot

LandBeluga posted:

shennong posted:

LandBeluga posted:

lol you fuckin scab

Scab? I paid dues, bruh.

you broke the coffee break picket!!

lol @ not taking every break you can. wotta slave!
CBC used to be NABET, which was super hardcore and used to strike every three years or so. ultimately they fucked themselves with the legalistic shit though, at one point tape rewinding was in the job desc of a particular NABET contract and you needed to find a tape rewinder in order to rewind a tape. if you couldn't find one you were SOL and if someone saw you rewinding a tape w/o designated tape rewinder they'd file a grievance and make you apologise for rewinding the tape lmao

fast forward ten years and NABET is out on its ass, CMG is in, who is far less legalistic (anyone who's qualified to do a job can do it at any time irrespective of their contract status), but they're also pansies and never strike. had NABET been more flexible they might have kept that shop and the workers would almost certainly be doing better
has anyone pointed out that employers are in fact still obligated to give you a lunch break, theyve just legalized scabbing on it
Everyone should get into management so that they can take breaks whenever they want, and actually don't have to do any work at all
I got a boneless chicken roti from a trinidadian place and it is fuckin SLAMMIN yo

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
I got a boneless chicken roti from a trinidadian place and it is fuckin SLAMMIN yo

there used to be a trinidadian place around here and it was featured on daves diners drive-ins and dives (big ups) but its closed now and im always wistfully looking at it when im standing at a certain crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green

Myfanwy posted:
Everyone should get into management so that they can take breaks whenever they want, and actually don't have to do any work at all

yea this. i went from caring about work to like, not

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

nice. nice!

babyfinland posted:
there used to be a trinidadian place around here and it was featured on daves diners drive-ins and dives (big ups) but its closed now and im always wistfully looking at it when im standing at a certain crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green

place i went too is halal too. they were selling GENEALOGY OF THE PROPHET posters for three bux