Norway's Breivik admits killing 77 but pleads not guilty
Anders Behring Breivik shed tears during anti-Muslim video

Anders Behring Breivik shed tears as he went on trial today for killing 77 people — but not for his victims. The emotional display came when prosecutors showed his anti-Muslim video.

Dressed in a dark suit and sporting a thin beard, the right-wing fanatic admitted to the killings but defended the July 22 massacre as an act of "self-defence" in his professed civil war, and sat stone-faced as prosecutors described how he killed each of his victims.

But he was gripped by emotion when they showed a video warning of a Muslim takeover of Europe and laden with crusader imagery that he posted on YouTube before the attacks. Suddenly, the self-styled "resistance" fighter's eyes welled up. He cringed his face and wiped away tears with trembling hands.

Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik pleaded not guilty to criminal charges, saying he was acting in self-defence. (Heiko Junge/Associated Press)
"Nobody believes that he cried out of pity for the victims," said Mette Yvonne Larsen, a lawyer representing survivors and victim's families in the court proceedings.

Breivik showed no signs of remorse on the first day of a trial that is expected to last 10 weeks. After being uncuffed, he extended his right arm in a clenched-fist salute. He refused to stand when the judges entered the room.

"I don't recognize Norwegian courts because you get your mandate from the Norwegian political parties who support multiculturalism," Breivik said the first time he addressed the court.

'I admit to acts, not criminal guilt'
The 33-year-old Norwegian also announced he doesn't recognize the authority of Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen because he said she is friends with the sister of former Norwegian Prime Minister and Labor Party leader Gro Harlem Brundtland.

Eight people were killed in Breivik's bombing of Oslo's government district and 69 were slain in his shooting massacre at the left-leaning Labor Party's youth camp on Utoya island outside the capital.

Breivik has said the attacks were necessary to protect Norway from being taken over by Muslims and that he deliberately targeted the governing Labor Party, which he claims has betrayed Norway with liberal immigration policies.

"I admit to the acts, but not criminal guilt," he told the court, insisting he had acted in self-defence.

While Norway has a legal principle of preventive self-defence, that doesn't apply to Breivik's case, said Jarl Borgvin Doerre, a legal expert who has written a book on the concept. "It is obvious that it has nothing to do with preventive self-defence," Doerre told The Associated Press.

Mental state is key issue
The key issue to be resolved during the trial is Breivik's mental state, which will decide whether he is sent to prison or into psychiatric care. Anxious to prove he is not insane, Breivik will call right-wing extremists and radical Islamists to testify during the trial, to show that others also share his view of clashing civilizations.

One mental examination found him legally insane, while another said he wasn't sick enough to be committed to psychiatric care instead of prison. If deemed mentally competent, Breivik would face a maximum prison sentence of 21 years or an alternate custody arrangement under which the sentence is prolonged for as long as an inmate is deemed a danger to society.

Breivik did not appear to have any family or supporters in court. His parents, who are divorced, did not attend the hearing. His father, Jens Breivik, answered when The Associated Press called his home in France on Monday.

"I don't want to comment on anything," he said before hanging up.

Armed policemen patrol the vicinity of the Oslo courthouse where Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik is on trial for terrorism and murder charges. (Berit Roald/Scanpix Norway/Associated Press)
Anne Marita Milde, a psychology professor at the University of Bergen, said Breivik's tears during the video show he's not completely "flattened" emotionally — even though they didn't come when you might have expected them.

"He may in many areas be emotionally flattened, that he doesn't display emotion and so on, but it's not all or nothing here — there are facets within behaviour," she said.

Utoya survivor Bjorn Magnus Jacobsen told reporters he was perplexed by Breivik's reaction.

"It might be that he is crying because of pride or because he thinks the video is so brilliant," said Jacobsen. "But it might also be he feels that he's lost his battle, but I don't really know that."

The tears came during a portion of the video that glorified armed resistance against Islam in Europe. Asked what prompted Breivik's emotions, defence lawyer Geir Lippestad said they stemmed from his conviction that he had to carry out the attacks "because he wants to save Europe from an ongoing war."

Audio of phone call during shooting played in court
After a lunch break, Breivik was again expressionless as he watched prosecutors present surveillance footage of the Oslo explosion. The blast ripped through the high-rise building that housed government headquarters, blowing out windows and filling surrounding streets with smoke and debris.

He didn't flinch as prosecutors played a three-minute recording of a young woman's frantic phone call to police from Utoya.

"I'm pretty sure that there are many injured," Renate Taarnes, 22, said with panic in her voice as more than a dozen shots in close succession could be heard.

Taarnes escaped the massacre unharmed and is scheduled to testify later in the trial.

Many survivors and families of victims are worried that Breivik will use the trial to promote his extremist political ideology. In a manifesto he published online before the attacks, Breivik wrote that "patriotic resistance fighters" should use trials "as a platform to further our cause."

Norway's NRK television was broadcasting parts of the trial live but was not allowed to show Breivik's testimony.

Breivik wants to be judged as a sane person and will call radical Islamists, and extremists on the right and left to testify to support "his perception that there is a war going on in Europe," Lippestad told the court. Lippestad said Breivik wants to read a new document he's written at the start of his testimony on Tuesday.

After blowing up parts of the government building and shooting dozens to death on Utoya island, Breivik surrendered to police 1 hour and 20 minutes after he arrived on Utoya. The police response to his terror spree was slowed by a series of mishaps, including the lack of an operating police helicopter and the breakdown of an overloaded boat carrying a commando team to the island.

oh my god, my youtube video. its so b...

it is finished
Root » Laissez's Faire » Parachute Brevik into Houston, America's Most Diverse City, and turn a lemon into lemonade
BABY NORWAY
the reaction to his white power salute seems to be pretty muted in that courtroom fwiw

shermanstick posted:
the reaction to his white power salute seems to be pretty muted in that courtroom fwiw

why get all emotional about it? to what end? you don't indulge an attention-hungry toddler, you ignore their crap and get on with what you've got to do

dude looks like a goon
a goon probably couldn't kill one person if left alone in an infant intensive care unit.

anders styled on dozens of people.

getfiscal posted:
a goon probably couldn't kill one person if left alone in an infant intensive care unit..

counterpoint: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/26/npr_celebrates_crazy_forum_trolls_decision_to_practice_unlicensed_medicine_in_libya/singleton/

gyrofry posted:

getfiscal posted:
a goon probably couldn't kill one person if left alone in an infant intensive care unit..

counterpoint: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/26/npr_celebrates_crazy_forum_trolls_decision_to_practice_unlicensed_medicine_in_libya/singleton/

that guy saved lives.

is anyone in the American media even talking about this? so far the only ive seen is from catching late night BBC America news coverage after watching all-day Top Gear marathons
whoops, dont want to remind fully half of all Americans that theyre literally proto-nazis
it's all over the news here in Australia and hopefully brings some attention to the fact that the sentiment he's spouting is exactly the same as several prominent Murdoch journalists

Guy Rundle's always worth a read

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/04/17/rundle-breiviks-fight-to-be-ruled-sane-begins/

In Oslo, Anders Breivik opened his trial on 77 counts of murder in much the manner he has conducted himself since he perpetrated the massacre on Utoya Island last year — by claiming responsibility for the acts, while refusing to acknowledge guilt, arguing that he was acting in “self-defence”. He further refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of the court, arguing that it was constituted by the multicultural parties who were selling out Norway.

Though the trial has only just started, it has already created something of a judicial crisis in Norway. Following the horrifying massacre, and Breivik’s brazen confession of his guilt, there was concern that the Norwegian justice system simply wasn’t up to the task of dealing with such evil. Norway has a 21-year maximum sentence for all crimes, the result of a quiet, rural fishing nation subsequently transformed into a peaceful social democracy.

Though it also has provision for indefinite detention, the prospect that a parole board of the future would determine that a 55-year-old Breivik was sufficiently rehabilitated to enjoy 30 or so years of free life that he had denied to dozens of young people was too much to contemplate.

Perhaps that was impetus for the next, utterly surprising decision: the ruling by a panel of two psychiatrists that Breivik was psychotic, not responsible for his actions, and therefore unfit to be tried. Since Breivik’s operation had demanded years of meticulous planning, dealing with a real external world, and since he himself had called his actions “repellent but necessary”, hopping himself up on steroids and heavy metal music to get through it.

Both inside and outside Norway, the psychiatric ruling was met with dismay, disbelief and open contempt. Bizarrely, the psychiatrists charged with assessing Breivik had seemed unable to apply the most basic psychiatric metrics effectively, assessing Breivik as “two out of a hundred” on a psychosis scale — a score reserved for patients that are effectively catatonic and unable to care for themselves. The storm of protest resulted in a new psychiatric assessment, which ruled him as sane and responsible for his actions. The trial judges will now have to choose between the two assessments.

That difficulty alerts one to another problem with the Norwegian justice system in a case such as this — the absence of juries and the reliance on lay judges. A five-judge panel will assess Breivik’s guilt — two professional judges, and three lay judges (a teacher, a civil servant and a hairdresser). Essentially, Norway’s most lethal peace-time crime ever is being assessed in the manner of a magistrate’s court dealing with a parking fines appeal.

Furthermore, as Breivik himself notes, the courts are inherently political — lay judges are appointed by political parties in the exact proportion of their parliamentary vote. The system is common across Scandinavia, and it’s a backward, ramshackle corporatist version of justice, long in need of reform.

But, of course, this trial is made all the more unusual by the fact that Breivik and his legal team will be fighting hard to make sure that the court rules him sane. Breivik has let it be known that he regarded the insanity ruling, unsurprisingly, as the greatest of insults. Perhaps that was part of the not-too-well-thought-out point of it — to draw any notion of political and personal meaning out of the act, to utterly marginalise it. That would fit in with one of the less amenable aspects of Scandinavian social democracy — its tendency to regard any politically “extremist” ideas as simply outside of the ambit of commonsense and sanity.

That pose is part of a comprehensive project of political forgetting in the postwar years — Norway was a hotbed of Nordic fascism for decades, and it is not for nothing that one of its few contributions to English is the eponym “quisling”. That Norwegians took the opportunity of World War II to kill each other in significant numbers is something Breivik’s actions have brought back to the surface.

His notion of social “traitors” and his targeting of them rather than actual Muslim immigrants is further testimony to the fact that he was not a deranged violent man, roiling with race hate and paranoia until he exploded — but a rational political operative whose methods were those of the coolly calculated outrage, his beliefs, if not his methods, held in common with the mainstream hard-right across three continents.

To say that Breivik seems unquestionably sane as regards the nature and gravity of his actions is not to say that he is without petty delusions. The Oslo court heard yesterday that he believed himself to be a member of a revived Knights Templar chapter across Europe — a group that, if it exists at all, is some sort of loose meme bouncing around a few right-wing websites. Breivik was not the “lone wolf”, a Nordic Travis Bickle, that the hard-right would like to present him as — he’d been a member of Norway’s hard-right anti-immigrant party, had links with the Muslim-hating English Democratic League, and other writers in Europe’s hard-right blogosphere. But he had consciously isolated himself in order to avoid police monitoring, to be a cell of one.Breivik’s conscious strategy led the usual crowd of blithering idiots — most of them in the Australian commentariat — to assess him on face value, as someone whose ideas did not fit together, made no sense. Given that he had released a cogent, if elephantine, 1500-page manifesto (much of it long extracts) on the morning of the manifesto, that pose was difficult to sustain — unless you were wilfully ignorant of the wider context of European right violence.

From relentless attacks on Roma people in eastern Europe and Italy — now state-sponsored by the Northern League and Hungary’s Jobbik party — to the “Casa Pound” neo-fascist groups in Italy who attack, sometimes lethally, isolated African migrants, to neo-Nazi attacks in East Germany, homophobic attacks in Poland, and menacing “demonstrations” by the EDL in the UK, Breivik’s targeted, lethal attacks swim in a sea of violence, much of it fuelled by a calculated right-wing hysteria pumped out by “respectable” authors such as Mark Steyn and Daniel Pipes.

Having labelled Breivik as an Islamist when the attacks began — even as it was clear that the attacked did not have the style of an Islamist attack — the hard-Right then became desperate to attempt to represent him as a lone crazy. Andrew Bolt, in what one can only call a moment of white-boned nihilism, attempted to portray the roots of his violence as due to being the child of divorced parents and a distant father. Hardly surprising really — yesterday the court saw evidence of Breivik’s premeditation, a short internet film/collage he had made featuring, inter alia, a cover of The Spectator with a burka’d “pregnant” Muslim wearing a suicide bomb.

It was the only time in the trial — which included taped phone calls of survivors of his massacre — that Breivik showed any emotion. As his defence use the wider context of European hard-right thinking to contextualise his actions, there will be much more of that to come, none of it very comfortable for the hysterical Muslim-hating Right. We’ll see, over the next 10 weeks, whether they have the courage to confront their own nihilistic conduct over the past decade, in light of one of its consequences.

for some reason American media has a bad habit of completely ignoring the instances where the rabid right-wing thought they constantly foster and promote blows up into outright terrorism and attempted genocide.

i guess public self-awareness is bad for ratings
ive seen some of american media's reaction but nowadays i dont think its that much worse than the media i've seen which is mostly liberal "good cops" pointing at the "bad cop" to show i should fear possible alternatives coming from any shaking of the boat

Superabound posted:
for some reason American media has a bad habit of completely ignoring the instances where the rabid right-wing thought they constantly foster and promote blows up into outright terrorism and attempted genocide.

its simple business, since there isnt really a left in America no news agency 'benefits' by gettin rowdy about rightist terrorism

Superabound posted:
whoops, dont want to remind fully half of all Americans that theyre literally proto-nazis

i agree with goldsmith, don't use nazi as a pejorative. they were merely misunderstood

Superabound posted:

rofl yeah it's not like there's extensive posting on here about the us mass medias failure to report white supremacist terroristic acts or anything lol

Superabound posted:

Here is a sampling of American coverage,
AP http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iMl8w-74ST-vZupDsuFTFZbpP2cg?docId=c620e1b3e10941628c2b90f7eb8e4976
CNN http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/18/world/europe/norway-breivik-trial/
CS Monitor http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2012/0418/Norway-s-Breivik-resists-prosecution-s-attempts-to-delve-into-his-past
Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/04/18/prosecutors-press-breivik-on-knights-templar/
Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/explosion-in-norway/2011/07/22/gIQADsZaTI_gallery.html?tid=pm_pop
MSNBC http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11239943-norway-mass-killer-anders-breivik-i-was-motivated-by-goodness-and-would-have-done-it-again?lite
WSJ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304432704577349192946992290.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

serious question: since norway and most of europe have 'professional' judges (i.e. you go to school to become a judge, not being voted into or appointed or whatever they do in the US), what is it like in other developed non-european nations? for me personally, knowing that the american CJ system is all just one big incestual racket, i would prefer having 2 professional judges and 3 lay judges decide my fate rather than 1 judge and a jury of my 'peers' (who were only there because the smart people were removed by strike for cause)
also i kept ignoring this thread because i thought it said brezhnev and i was like why would they want to throw ol brows into afghanistan again

eternal_virtue posted:
AP http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iMl8w-74ST-vZupDsuFTFZbpP2cg?docId=c620e1b3e10941628c2b90f7eb8e4976
CS Monitor http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2012/0418/Norway-s-Breivik-resists-prosecution-s-attempts-to-delve-into-his-past
Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/04/18/prosecutors-press-breivik-on-knights-templar/
Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/explosion-in-norway/2011/07/22/gIQADsZaTI_gallery.html?tid=pm_pop
MSNBC http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11239943-norway-mass-killer-anders-breivik-i-was-motivated-by-goodness-and-would-have-done-it-again?lite
WSJ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304432704577349192946992290.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

(not gonna read those links but) im guessing at least one of them lists him as "Anders Breivik (D-Norway)"

eternal_virtue posted:

Superabound posted:

Parachute Breivik Account

shermanstick posted:
serious question: since norway and most of europe have 'professional' judges (i.e. you go to school to become a judge, not being voted into or appointed or whatever they do in the US), what is it like in other developed non-european nations? for me personally, knowing that the american CJ system is all just one big incestual racket, i would prefer having 2 professional judges and 3 lay judges decide my fate rather than 1 judge and a jury of my 'peers' (who were only there because the smart people were removed by strike for cause)

at a guess it just depends whether you were colonised by a civil code country or a common law country

"Confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik claimed Thursday he prepared to slaughter dozens of people in Norway with steroids, meditation and by sharpening his aim through playing computer games for more than a year."

Don't let friends play video games (murder simulators).

getfiscal posted:
"Confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik claimed Thursday he prepared to slaughter dozens of people in Norway with steroids, meditation and by sharpening his aim through playing computer games for more than a year."

impper dont do it...

i don't think impper meditates unless u consider a k-hole to qualify
i dont think impper takes much ketamine

getfiscal posted:

he took a sabbatical for 1 year to play world of warcraft lmao

he went to WoW forums to complain about people with not enough loyalty ("casuals" or somethin) ruining that virtual land (and their facilitators)

Prospero posted:
he went to WoW forums to complain about people with not enough loyalty ("casuals" or somethin) ruining that virtual land (and their facilitators)

Hmm, I guess he was right about some things after all.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
is this the grover thread
i dont really do ketamine. i think that unlike ken i do a lot of downers and speedballs so if u fina make fun of me for a drug its probably that

discipline posted:
I think anyone with those political beliefs who killed like 68 children is certainly insane but at the same time I hope they try his political beliefs, not his sanity, and punish him to the fullest extent of the law because I'm sick of seeing muslims get disappeared into black sites while white men are written off as "disturbed", "lonely", "confused"

all i hear about breivik is things related to his sanity haha. there is no ideology but race ideology

they're trying his sanity because under norwegian law that's the only way to get him put away forever

littlegreenpills posted:
they're trying his sanity because under norwegian law that's the only way to get him put away forever

i thought they could put them away forever but they had to have hearings every 20 years to see if hes still a menace to society or whatever

[account deactivated]
Menace 2 Society