eternal_virtue posted:
Smart phones are heavily subsidized by the carrier. Although the price of the iPhone in the Apple store is $200, the actual price is $660. The carrier hopes to make up the subsidized $460 over the course of their 2-year plan, which is about $20 extra a month.

the "actual cost" (bill of materials) of an iphone is $200-$250, i doubt carriers are paying $400/unit on top of that

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPhone-4S-Carries-BOM-of-$188,-IHS-iSuppli-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx

I don't own a phone, or a T.V., both facts which I love to interject into conversation and immediately assert my dominance
[account deactivated]
i have a dumbphone from the year 2004 and on the rare occasions when having a handheld GPS unit is indispensible i steal my wife's iphone
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Hitler? Sounds like my ex-wife!
[account deactivated]

shennong posted:

eternal_virtue posted:
Smart phones are heavily subsidized by the carrier. Although the price of the iPhone in the Apple store is $200, the actual price is $660. The carrier hopes to make up the subsidized $460 over the course of their 2-year plan, which is about $20 extra a month.

the "actual cost" (bill of materials) of an iphone is $200-$250, i doubt carriers are paying $400/unit on top of that

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPhone-4S-Carries-BOM-of-$188,-IHS-iSuppli-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx

Materials are just one expense. Manufacturing and distribution have to be figured in as well. Also legal and marketing. But perhaps most significant is the expensive R&D that goes into designing the phone.

Still, yes, Apple makes very high profit margins when compared to materials alone. In fact there has been lots of talk that the carriers are suffering because of these high subsidies. See: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57419822-37/analyst-carriers-are-locked-into-those-steep-iphone-subsidies/

I didn't read the article because the premise in the first paragraph was fucked up.

How are people running away from conversation? Talking on your phone or texting people or commenting on forums IS conversation.

If you have a problem with it then it's your problem and you should stop fetishizing nostalgia and harking back to the bizzare idea that conversation has to be verbal.
we are moving from a neurotic society to an autistic "society". this might actually make people slightly happier but of course my main issue is that systemic autism makes for worse poetry
hrmmm idk, how fully has it been explored? i'm sure people can scrounge up some good stuff
someone buy me this article i will be all happy and shit; i checked and ucla library doesnt carry the journal of deleuze studies http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/edinburgh-university-press/autism-schizo-of-postmodern-capital-76hB2kYgBP
Basically, the moment someone is alone in a bar, they pull out their iphone and check facebook or whatever. So what happens is that when their friend or whoever goes to the bathroom or they're waiting to meet someone at the place, they're just locked into these cognitive prisons. A friend and I were at a bar and were just making general observations and noticed that everyone who was by themselves was just locked into their smart phone. It kind of kills the place, so to speak, because then no one ever strikes up a conversation with people in the same establish anymore.

i made the comment on wddp that smart phones are kind of the bane of the bar/club, or whatever, and I was told to stop bro posting lmao
"i hate when you're having dinner and in the middle of a conversation someone starts watching group cumshots on their phone. what is up with that amirite? what is the deal with that? whats that about?" - observational comedy in 2020
FOUCAULT:
The definition of disease and of the insane, and the classification of the insane has been made in such a way as to exclude from our society a certain number of people. If our society characterised itself as insane, it would exclude itself. It pretends to do so for reasons of internal reform. Nobody is more conservative than those people who tell you that the modern world is afflicted by nervous anxiety or schizophrenia. It is in fact a cunning way of excluding certain people or certain patterns of behaviour.
So I don't think that one can, except as a metaphor or a game, validly say that our society is schizophrenic or paranoid, unless one gives these words a non-psychiatric meaning. But if you were to push me to an extreme, I would say that our society has been afflicted by a disease, a very curious, a very paradoxical disease, for which we haven't yet found a name; and this mental disease has a very curious symptom, which is that the symptom itself brought the mental disease into being. There you have it.

girdles_gone_wild posted:
Basically, the moment someone is alone in a bar, they pull out their iphone and check facebook or whatever. So what happens is that when their friend or whoever goes to the bathroom or they're waiting to meet someone at the place, they're just locked into these cognitive prisons.

it seems a lot worse. two friends at a table (separated by one person) kept texting each other throughout dinner (like, really rude, mocking another person from the other group while showing me the texts) or checking tumblr

commodiusvicus posted:
FOUCAULT:
The definition of disease and of the insane, and the classification of the insane has been made in such a way as to exclude from our society a certain number of people. If our society characterised itself as insane, it would exclude itself. It pretends to do so for reasons of internal reform. Nobody is more conservative than those people who tell you that the modern world is afflicted by nervous anxiety or schizophrenia. It is in fact a cunning way of excluding certain people or certain patterns of behaviour.
So I don't think that one can, except as a metaphor or a game, validly say that our society is schizophrenic or paranoid, unless one gives these words a non-psychiatric meaning. But if you were to push me to an extreme, I would say that our society has been afflicted by a disease, a very curious, a very paradoxical disease, for which we haven't yet found a name; and this mental disease has a very curious symptom, which is that the symptom itself brought the mental disease into being. There you have it.

oh no not conservatism

[account deactivated]

eternal_virtue posted:

shennong posted:

eternal_virtue posted:

Materials are just one expense. Manufacturing and distribution have to be figured in as well. Also legal and marketing. But perhaps most significant is the expensive R&D that goes into designing the phone.

Still, yes, Apple makes very high profit margins when compared to materials alone. In fact there has been lots of talk that the carriers are suffering because of these high subsidies. See: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57419822-37/analyst-carriers-are-locked-into-those-steep-iphone-subsidies/

manufacturing is included in the BOM, distro is not a significant contributor to cost, and apple doesnt do any of the R&D on any of the significant components (which are from qualcomm, samsung et al). if carriers are actually paying $600 (industry reps crying "we could be paying up to $600" doesn't convince me thats the case) per unit, that doesn't have anything to do with what the phone actually costs but it might explain why apple has billions of dollars sloshing around

Prospero posted:

Basically, the moment someone is alone in a bar, they pull out their iphone and check facebook or whatever. So what happens is that when their friend or whoever goes to the bathroom or they're waiting to meet someone at the place, they're just locked into these cognitive prisons.

it seems a lot worse. two friends at a table (separated by one person) kept texting each other throughout dinner (like, really rude, mocking another person from the other group while showing me the texts) or checking tumblr

So what, how is this any different to people checking out or mocking another irl bar patron if nobody had phones.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
So what, how is this any different to people checking out or mocking another irl bar patron if nobody had phones.

"Oh no people aren't fully and constantly engaged with nothing but their immediate material space, ban daydreaming, it's destroying our society qq"
the problem is its precisely the opposite of daydreaming. its being on call -- wait why do you troll "boo science, its inhumane n cold" and now this? be consistent

Prospero posted:
the problem is its precisely the opposite of daydreaming. its being on call -- wait why do you troll "boo science, its inhumane n cold" and now this? be consistent

Because there is nothing “inhuman” about being plugged into the internet which is essentially the concept of “humanity” given meta-physical form.

Menschliches, Allzumenschliches

Prospero posted:

Because there is nothing “inhuman” about being plugged into the internet which is essentially the concept of “humanity” given meta-physical form.

My humanity laid bare - all the essential components - the avatar, the post rep, quote and edit functions, and the entire unicode character map, and of course all the abandoned bebo and tumblr accounts, the secret deviant art account I use to look at drawings of pikachus fellating each other, is digital man not a wonder to behold or what?!

i love you swampthing

swampman posted:

Prospero posted:

My humanity laid bare - all the essential components - the avatar, the post rep, quote and edit functions, and the entire unicode character map, and of course all the abandoned bebo and tumblr accounts, the secret deviant art account I use to look at drawings of pikachus fellating each other, is digital man not a wonder to behold or what?!

Sounds more meaningful than pledging fealty to an inbred king and dying for them in a muddy trench

Sounds more meaningful than pledging fealty to an inbred king and dying for them in a muddy trench

Damn right. You think any Carthaginian coxswain ever hung from a cross with his dismembered balls in his mouth having achieved a kill ratio high enough to even apply for membership in my Halo 3 clan |Death|Gerbils|of|Death|? Sounds unlikely as fuck.

swampman posted:

Damn right. You think any Carthaginian coxswain ever hung from a cross with his dismembered balls in his mouth having achieved a kill ratio high enough to even apply for membership in my Halo 3 clan |Death|Gerbils|of|Death|? Sounds unlikely as fuck.

You jest but there’s something beautiful about the vulgar idiocy of DeviantArt of a Juggalo gathering.

Okay, let's compare. You worked your entire life on an enormous triangular tomb for God's earthly manifestation - I, on the other hand, have several thousand friends who wish me happy birthday every year, and have been instrumental in managing Campbell's online presence, establishing the brand as more than just soup-oriented. All while maintaining the lowest carbon footprint in the country and reading every book Douglas Hofstadtler ever wrote. So yeah, I'd say I "get it" a little more than you.
Despite your denigration of it's implied artifice, the second example is clearly a more rich and intricate way of living life.

I may not have a cause but that doesn't mean i want to die for a shitty one.
Campbell's does more than just soup?

eternal_virtue posted:

they are not 'subsidised by the carrier', lmao, you pay full price whatever you do

you can subsidize the entry fee into a exorbitant locked two year contract this isn't even important we're just agreeing with different words EVERYONE IS STUPID EXCEPT FOR ME GRAAAHHHHH

swampman posted:
Okay, let's compare. You worked your entire life on an enormous triangular tomb for God's earthly manifestation - I, on the other hand, have several thousand friends who wish me happy birthday every year, and have been instrumental in managing Campbell's online presence, establishing the brand as more than just soup-oriented. All while maintaining the lowest carbon footprint in the country and reading every book Douglas Hofstadtler ever wrote. So yeah, I'd say I "get it" a little more than you.

guidoanselmi posted:
so i'm getting a galaxy nexus tomorrow. i'm pretty psyched!

for the record it's really cool!

Basically, the moment someone is alone in a bar, they pull out their iphone and check facebook or whatever. So what happens is that when their friend or whoever goes to the bathroom or they're waiting to meet someone at the place, they're just locked into these cognitive prisons. A friend and I were at a bar and were just making general observations and noticed that everyone who was by themselves was just locked into their smart phone. It kind of kills the place, so to speak, because then no one ever strikes up a conversation with people in the same establish anymore.

i made the comment on wddp that smart phones are kind of the bane of the bar/club, or whatever, and I was told to stop bro posting lmao

haha

WillieTomg posted:
you can subsidize the entry fee into a exorbitant locked two year contract this isn't even important we're just agreeing with different words EVERYONE IS STUPID EXCEPT FOR ME GRAAAHHHHH

its not a subsidy if the person paying for one part is the same person paying for the other part. words have definitions!! cram dicks in my ass