Battle of Guandalete
creation of everything we see and know
Islam
the destruction of wddp
convincing orientalist liberals to laud a religion more regressive than evangelical protestantism
yo god damnit crustpunk trotsky ive tried to get that shit out of my head since i saw it 10 years ago or w/e
rhizzone
[account deactivated]
smashing the shit out of the goddamn romans
the doner kebab
~me~

Tsargon posted:

what's your prob w/the romans

also does anyone have a good herstory recommendation for the caliphates, e.g. umayyad &c. i.e.

e: a book that is

on cd or a codex, either is fine

Edited by The_Schliski ()

The_Schliski posted:

also does anyone have a good herstory recommendation for the caliphates, e.g. umayyad &c. i.e.

marshall hodgson is the best survey of islamic history

its pretty big and dense but yeah Killa

I like big and dense

The_Schliski posted:

I like big and dense

http://www.amazon.com/The-Venture-Islam-Volume-Classical/dp/0226346838/ref=pd_sim_b_1

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Dr. Shaquille O'Neal
the quran is basically battlefield earth for arabs
9/11

getfiscal posted:

the quran is basically battlefield earth for arabs

what is their "love is a battlefield" though

HEY A LITTLE MTV TRIVIA FOR YOU: as we all know "video killed the radio star" was the first video on MTV. the SECOND video, nobody remembers, but it was in fact "love is a battlefield" by pat benatar

babyfinland posted:

The_Schliski posted:

I like big and dense

http://www.amazon.com/The-Venture-Islam-Volume-Classical/dp/0226346838/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I'm going to read this

pat benatar is an arab muslim. her real name is patrice bin al-Atta
yeah the venture of islam is really good. ive read part 1 and like 75% of 2 and you can still pick it up and be like 'whoa.' its written by a christian but does a great job of being a awesome history which is like in that grey area between being religious and being 'historical' that you would probably love as an lf poster.
if you're into primary sources, this is a pretty cool read:
http://www.amazon.com/Arab-Syrian-Gentleman-Warrior-Period-Crusades/dp/0231121253/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336287006&sr=1-1-fkmr1
An Arab-Syrian Gentleman and Warrior in the Period of the Crusades

The_Schliski posted:

Tsargon posted:

1. heretics

2. its just really impressive

but is it really all that impressive to smash a withered empire. im looking at you, mujahideen

also do you have some problem with orthodox xtians, i kinda like their whole belief in icons as a link to the world of platonic ideals and i once had an russian orthodox use an analogy to describe the trinity in a very elegant way where the holy spirit is sunshine

i cant remember the rest of the analogy so thats kinda useless to you BUT n-e-wayz

The_Schliski posted:

but is it really all that impressive to smash a withered empire. im looking at you, mujahideen

is it the mark of a withered empire to attempt conquering afghanistan?

Tsargon posted:

1. heretics

All things considered, the Romans (Byzantines) were considerably weakened by Justinian's wars of reconquest, wars with Persia, and a demographic collapse due to plague.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

yo god damnit crustpunk trotsky ive tried to get that shit out of my head since i saw it 10 years ago or w/e

That's no way to get ahead in life!!!!

girdles_gone_wild posted:

Tsargon posted:

1. heretics

All things considered, the Romans (Byzantines) were considerably weakened by Justinian's wars of reconquest, wars with Persia, and a demographic collapse due to plague.

there was a plague? was it just another lap of the black death that hit at an inopportune time or something else?

A Murder of Crows
A Clattering of Choughs
A Dule of Doves
A Parliament of Owls
A Plague of Tsargon Posts

The_Schliski posted:

Tsargon posted:

The romans were a big joke by the time the caliphate rolled over them, it wasn't really an empire like the roman empire. It was super reliant on client guys. The east romans were basically absentee landlords with a big city in the middle of the world, so they got a piece of everybody else's action. And they only started coming back from defeats against the caliphate when they started smashing all of their icons and raising lots of light cavalry. but mostly the east roman empire was super dysfunctional and people competing for the emperorship would defect to the turks or whoever all the time if it meant they could get some revenge and open up a chance for their guys to kill the sitting emperor or just blind and castrate him. When you read the history it's like, oh I see why they lost all of that so quickly

the byzantines deserved it for embracing the eastern heresy in this humble ex-goons opinion

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

the byzantines deserved it for embracing the eastern heresy in this humble ex-goons opinion

I was gonna say that, but I didn't want to sound biased because I believe in the one true faith called catholicisme confession of christianisme

The russians did some good things with the debauched orthodox church for a while, it was very much a lonely pine forest sect, even if there was gold everywhere, but then they ruined it

"Peter, here are the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Please make duplicates and share them with a bunch of bickering patriarchs"
The Renaissance.

Tsargon posted:

there was a plague? was it just another lap of the black death that hit at an inopportune time or something else?

Well... The plague during Justinian's reign wiped out an incredible percentage of the people in both empires. Shortages of labor, declining populations, not enough soldiers, etc. forced the Byzantines to hire mass amounts of barbarian troops just to fill the ranks. Fast forward 30 years or so, and you get the outbreak of this colossal war between the Byzantines and the Sassanids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine-Sassanid_War_of_602%E2%80%93628

The two empires basically just exhausted themselves after a century of fighting, warfare, plague, etc. I'm not trying to say the Arab conquests weren't a big deal or anything. They're some of the most impressive and amazing conquests in history. But if they had tried it a 100 years earlier, I can't see them having the same success.

alhambra: wham bam thank u 'slam

Edited by xipe ()