shennong posted:

if you short something that gets frozen or delisted, are you just fucked or do you not have to return the shares you borrowed? there were like a dozen shitty and obviously fraudulent chinese firms in the last couple years that it seemed like you could make a fair amount shorting w/ not much risk but i think youd have to be pretty fast about it because they mostly got delisted i think

Its unlikely a brokerage would allow you to short them and those kinds of companies probably don't have listed options either

what about like sino forest and shit
usually stocks have to be of sufficient size before they can be shorted (though i imagine most chinese ones are.) being chinese-based companies traded in new york or london or toronto they might also be some kind of tracking stock. but really you'd not ever have "short chinese companies" as a trading strategy because it's such a risky use of capital, your expected return would be horrendous (your downside risk is infinite when shorting stocks.) buying puts would be safer but a waste of money all the same

fun fact i just remembered, i don't know if it's still this way, but at least a decade ago short selling was illegal in israel
lol

technical analysis is hilarious

getfiscal posted:

lol

take some acid and ace that shit

my coworker at my old job was into those things. i went on a website to read how it worked because i like patterns i guess, but stopped when i found out you were supposed to make extreme leveraged stock (or forex?) trades based on the golden ratio and fibonacci sequences and triangles

Edited by taoismlibertarianism ()

lmao, it really does make sense though, mystic capitalism is far more true to its essence

taoismlibertarianism posted:

this rules

aerdil posted:

lmao, it really does make sense though, mystic capitalism is far more true to its essence

kill yourself and show us how

I was talking about technical analysis recently with a friend who is a commodities trader and he said there's a bit more to it than I give it, as far as support and resistance levels but I think it's again something that relies on asymmetrical positioning. I'll ask him about it again sometime

aerdil posted:

Capitalism is the antithesis of the mystical , it's the pinnacle of the rational

getfiscal posted:

lol

Mods change my name

Groulxsmith posted:

aerdil posted:

Capitalism is the antithesis of the mystical , it's the pinnacle of the rational

capitalism is a tellurian blasphemy. read cyclonopedia. damn

GM said today that the $10 million it spends facebook advertising is a waste of cash. Haha
the story i read about that said that facebook snags ~4 bucks a year per user (900m users) which is pretty neat considering the fact that theyve probably already hit saturation and are maintaining the 100b valuation number
the platform of the maoist people here calls for free national telephone and internet service which i like because you never see that in most platforms. of course the reasoning is that they will monitor and police all communications but c'mon people.
my platform would call for a national piracy network for all media like a linux package manager, you just get whatever the fuck you want and the artists get a stipend.

stegosaurus posted:

my platform would call for a national piracy network for all media like a linux package manager, you just get whatever the fuck you want and the artists get a stipend.

That would never work since some people deserve more, "SPDM"

Which mode of production means the best indie games
blizzardism
[account deactivated]
fun fact, i was almost a millionaire at age 14 because my dad let me pick stocks and buy them.

sadly not sell them because of capital gains tax. then the bubble happened and i lost most of it.
i predicted the rise of starbucks because 'this seems like a cool place for old people' upon my first visit to one in port jefferson, long island.

discipline posted:

I'm a day trader and I spend 16 hours a day surfing

surfin USA

hang ten in east berlin

guidoanselmi posted:

sadly not sell them because of capital gains tax.

that's the stupidest logic i've ever heard

"i don't want to make a million dollars because i'll have to pay 15% of it in taxes "

that is literally how like everyone in finance thinks
yeah but people actually believe that in America
the really silly thing is that the amount extracted from your income as taxes could be allocated by the state far more efficiently than whatever private corporation towards the development of economic infrastructure that would enable greater profit in the future

i figure these guys aren't actually stupid with money so i figure it's just that, unfortunately, that's not the case

Impper posted:

yeah, i know. i was talking to a relative a couple months back and they didn't want to sell stocks (that had gone up due to an obvious bubble) at a 500k profit, because "{they} would have to pay an extra 30k in taxes". now the stock market went down and they whine about a perceived loss in wealth lol. i really dislike wealthy white people

babyfinland posted:

the really silly thing is that the amount extracted from your income as taxes could be allocated by the state far more efficiently than whatever private corporation towards the development of economic infrastructure that would enable greater profit in the future

i figure these guys aren't actually stupid with money so i figure it's just that, unfortunately, that's not the case

uhm what?

[account deactivated]
lotta slave morality itt

AmericanNazbro posted:

babyfinland posted:

uhm what?

the state doesnt automatically invest efficiently

Impper posted:

The logic and behavior of mom and pop with etrade accounts is not remotely the same as institutional investors or corporate finance in general except maybe in the vaguest sense of tax avoidance or accumulation of wealth, but even then that's really not a constructive comparison.

I never understand why radicals generally understand that finance capitalism is by far the dominant aspect of the global economy yet they absolutely refuse to learn about it and instead treat it like a goon not wanting to know who Kim Kardashian or Nicki Minaj is. Finance? Feh

Edited by Groulxsmith ()

babyfinland posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

babyfinland posted:

uhm what?

the state doesnt automatically invest efficiently

I agree but generally speaking, money invested in a stock is not really capitalizing a corporation either

Groulxsmith posted:

Impper posted:

The logic and behavior of mom and pop with etrade accounts is not remotely the same as institutional investors or corporate finance in general except maybe in the vaguest sense of tax avoidance or accumulation of wealth, but even then that's really not a constructive comparison.

I never understand why radicals generally understand that finance capitalism is by far the dominant aspect of the global economy yet they absolutely refuse to learn about it and instead treat it like a goon not wanting to know who Kim Kardashian or Nicki Minaj is. Finance? Feh

yeah i suppose you're right i was thinking too much retail or w.e, eh fuck yew groulstein!