http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508

Against Me! singer Tom Gabel reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone. Gabel, who has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years, will soon begin the process of transition, by taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.

Gabel will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, and will remain married to her wife Heather. "For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news," says Gabel. "But she's been super-amazing and understanding."

Gabel only told a handful of family and friends about her plan to transition before talking to Rolling Stone. Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it. "I'm going to have embarrassing moments," says Gabel, "and that won't be fun. But that's part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they'll be fairly kind."

Many questions have arisen. Did his wife really have no idea and now he is just telling her he wants to be a woman? Is a guy from an awful pop/folk punk band really a rock star? Wasn't Weird Al Yankovic the first rockstar to come out as a transgender, over 12 years ago??

hey st augustine FL ive been there
good for her i guess
i mean is there really much else to discuss
yes because i assume a lot of lf people have listened to against me at some point in their life though they will probably disavow laura and her gruff testosterone filled vocals which shaped their college sophomore-junior year bc of her anarchist beliefs
well okay then. let me grab my popcorn
who the fuck listens to against me?

girdles_gone_wild posted:

who the fuck listens to against me?

i rest my case.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
ive never heard of any of these people nor care that i havent
[account deactivated]
i am not really surprised by this. against me! is from st. augustine so i knew some people who were friends with the band and it was rumored for a long time that the lead singer was gay or trans but nobody could confirm it. im sure whatever scene they're in now will readily embrace laura jane grace, but good for her
Cool. Im glad that laura's family did not turn Against Her! haha. Just a little Monday morning joke to get ya'll's motor runnin'.
[account deactivated]
I have no idea who this is but I heard my boss talking to her boyfriend about it on the phone today. As she said, good for him, you gotta live your own life

Groulxsmith posted:

I have no idea who this is but I heard my boss talking to her boyfriend about it on the phone today. As she said, good for him, you gotta live your own life

*a tremendously pissy 500 word reply jumping down your throat because your statement of genial support technically messed up the pronouns and thats definitely the big deal thing we should focus on here*

sorta sad to see someone reinforce the gender binary by choosing to be the other gender rather than destroying gender
when i saw the picture of this dude on a news site i thought it was the whiny-voiced one from blink 182 which would have been way better

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

when i saw the picture of this dude on a news site i thought it was the whiny-voiced one from blink 182 which would have been way better

*injects estrogen into leg*

"i guess this is growing up", blink 182 person said to no one in particular.

getfiscal posted:

sorta sad to see someone reinforce the gender binary by choosing to be the other gender rather than destroying gender

eh, no worse a sin than working a wage job to survive. its not like they can't in the future get all genderfuck queer

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

the whiny-voiced one from blink 182

oh THAT narrows it down

[account deactivated]
thanks for grabbing that one T
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

yeah

Agreed, Dude Ranch is awesome, even the dumb song about Star Wars has a surprisingly moving and engaging emotional core
[account deactivated]
Argentina makes sex-change surgery a legal right

BY MICHAEL WARREN
ASSOCIATED PRESS

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Adults who want sex-change surgery or hormone therapy in Argentina will be able to get it as part of their public or private health care plans under a gender rights law approved Wednesday.

Senators approved the Gender Identity law by a vote of 55 to zero with one abstention and more than a dozen senators declaring themselves absent - the same margin that approved a "death with dignity" law earlier in the day.

Argentina became Latin America's first nation to legalize gay marriage two years ago, enabling thousands of same-sex couples to marry and enjoy the same legal rights that apply to married heterosexual couples. For many, this gender rights law was the next step.

"This law is going to enable many of us to have light, to come out of the darkness, to appear," said Sen. Osvaldo Lopez of Tierra del Fuego, who was appointed to his seat after the previous senator's sudden death, thus becoming the only openly gay national lawmaker in Argentina.

"There are many people in our country who also deserve the power to exist," Lopez added.

It gives people the legal right to officially change their gender without having to go to court for a judge's approval, and obligates health care companies to provide them with surgery or hormone therapy on demand.

Other countries, including neighboring Uruguay, have passed gender rights laws, but Argentina's "is in the forefront of the world" because of these benefits it guarantees, said Cesar Cigliutti, president of the Homosexual Community of Argentina.

Treatments related to gender changes will be included in the "Obligatory Medical Plan," meaning that both private and public health care providers will not be able to charge extra for the services.

"This is truly a human right: the right to happiness," Sen. Miguel Pichetto said during the debate.

President Cristina Fernandez is expected to sign the measure into law so that it will take effect upon publication in the next official government bulletin.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/09/2791838/argentina-approves-transgender.html#storylink=cpy
Hopefully they have better luck then the last time they tried to reassign a Stanley
in canada they are going to delist GRS from the military health plan just to please the religious types and goatstein
*carries sign that says "It's Eva and Juan not Evan and Juanita."*

HenryKrinkle posted:

"This is truly a human right: the right to happiness," Sen. Miguel Pichetto said during the debate.

no he said "This is truly a human right: the right to a penis" you just didn't catch his accent

getfiscal posted:

in canada they are going to delist GRS from the military health plan just to please the religious types and goatstein

What if the men at Vimy Ridge had all been counting the days until they could get home and enjoy their new genitals? THINK.

[account deactivated]
yeah but there are more homosexuals then transgender people so if we're looking at these things empirically the west is far more tolerant than Iran w/r/t sexuality
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
then thank GOD liberalism gives us the avenues to pursue our myriad of different sexualities more than any other political system in history

what a time to be alive!