You are about to enter the Adam Curtis Own Zone: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2012/05/if_you_take_my_advice_-_id_rep.html

I'm not gonna paste it here because there are hell of embedded jpegs and videos that provide flavour and context to the words and I'm not getting paid to do this

Bahrain, along with Syria, has become a symbol of the failure of the Arab Spring to deliver real democracy and freedom across the Arab world. The media in Britain portray a rigid, oppressive almost feudal elite who are stubbornly holding out against the inevitable wave of modern freedoms and political justice.

But what is hardly ever mentioned in the press and TV reports is that this very system of oppression, the rock against which the dreams of democracy are being dashed, was largely created by the British. That, throughout most of the twentieth century, British advisers to the Bahraini royal family, backed up by British military might, were central figures in the creation of a ruthless system that imprisoned and sometimes tortured any Bahraini citizen who even dared to suggest the idea of democracy.

The same British advisers also worked with the rulers of Bahrain to exercise a cynical technique of divide and rule - setting Shia against Sunni in a very successful attempt to keep Bahrain locked in an old, decaying and corrupt system of tribal and religious rivalries. The deliberate aim was to stop democracy ever emerging.

The Bahrainis know this, practically everyone else in the Arab world knows this - the only people who seem to have forgotten are the British themselves.

So I thought I would tell the story of Britain's involvement in the government and the security of Bahrain over the past 90 years. Especially as the present King of Bahrain is coming to have lunch with the Queen on May 18th.

free doug

Tell me more...

Edited by jools ()

"i'm only happy when bahrains" - shirley
its silly to refer to any consequences of the Arab Spring as a failure.

Jerthebear posted:

lol. it's posts like this that remind me how ridiculous the idea of a leftist forum is. either it's like you made a really low effort troll or you hold the position of the most odious of liberals. either way im like smfh smfh.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

lol. it's posts like this that remind me how ridiculous the idea of a leftist forum is. either it's like you made a really low effort troll or you hold the position of the most odious of liberals. either way im like smfh smfh.

you're misinterpreting my comment, I believe.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Jerthebear posted:

lol i didnt see that post because i typically gloss over liberal white noise but lol lol

Impper posted:

lol i didnt see that post because i typically gloss over liberal white noise but lol lol

who the heck said I was a liberal

you did
wasn't aware. better go register democrat.
who cares what you're registered as. that's a pretty liberal thing to say, what you just said
novice-tier trolling
im not trolling you, you really are a stupid liberal idiot haha, i dont see whats so hard to understand about that or why it'd be a troll. i'm just telling you this thing about yourself that is true

Jerthebear posted:

adam curtis has his own very particular ideology which, while it makes for good documentaries, isnt without problems

mistersix posted:

Jerthebear posted:

adam curtis has his own very particular ideology which, while it makes for good documentaries, isnt without problems

damn you're right. welp, i should be getting back to occupy portland, we're having a vegan potluck. noam chomsky is speaking and we're burning effigies of milton friedman.
dont go
consider ritual slitting of the effigy's throat followed by tossing it in a swamp, as a more carbon-conscious alternative to burning
i dont think the rhizzone is a 'leftist' forum really
rhizzone is a fail aids forum almost exclusively in fact
wow nice ableism
is it true that the pots garden banned the goatman. lmao

deadken posted:

why would you even care

Uncertainty_Principle posted:

deadken posted:

why would you even care

why do you care about this forum being fail and lose

you people keep pming me on tumblr

open tumblr posting.

Edited by jools ()

thats just me i think. or maybe not. who knows

deadken posted:

why would you even care

becuz its funny

sure, sure.

mistersix posted:

Jerthebear posted:

curtism owns bones actually