By Richard Allenby-Pratt

Dubai, Circa 2017

In January 2017 the media reported that the CEO of General Electric in Fairfield, Connecticut had called a press conference to announce his companies' energy research labs' successful development of ground-breaking technology for the cheap and clean separation of Hydrogen from sea water.

The prospect of a future with a totally clean, effectively-free, recyclable, and readily available energy source shook the world. The markets reacted immediately and the price of a barrel of oil dropped to below $10.

In Saudi Arabia the market reaction sparked street demonstrations that grew into a revolutionary movement.

The ruling regime used force to suppress the revolution and within months Iran had sent a military intervention force to attempt to depose the House of Saud.

Saudi Arabia's Sunni neighbours in Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE and Qatar were sucked into the regional war, which the international community fell shy of intervening in.

Oil still flowed from major producers such as Russia, Venezuela and Nigeria and it was generally felt in the West and far East that the supply of oil from non GCC sources was sufficient to bridge the transition period until full implementation of Hydrogen technology.

By the end of 2017 Dubai was effectively deserted. Many of the wealthy locals left for their summer houses in the UK and elsewhere.

The evacuation of expatriates started slowly but soon become a mad scramble as the possibility of Iran's intervention started to look a certainty. Most western expatriates got out before the summer, but tens of thousands of Asians struggled to find transportation and many perished as the power stations and de-salination plants ground to a halt.

Humanitarian ships attempting to ferry refugees back to India and Pakistan slowly cleared the backlog of desperate people all along the Gulf coast; a job that was eventually completed by the end of the year.

Before leaving, the caretakers of the UAE's zoos, wildlife parks and private animal collections opened the gates and cages of their facilities. Some animals refused to leave their accustomed accommodations and died there, but many escaped out into the empty streets.

On the outskirts of Dubai there still stood many of the incomplete construction projects, relics from the 2000's building boom.

Some of the remaining Bedouin discovered that abandoned excavations and subterranean basements could be easily converted into effective self-replenishing receptacles for groundwater and thereby created oases at various locations around the city.

They recognised the potential future value of the wildlife. Some attempts were made to cull the predators, but as the feared attacks on humans never materialised, they gradually became accustomed to the occasional sighting and just exercised sensible caution.

Inevitably, after a period of years, certain species were unable to adapt to the harsh environment and died out, but many successfully naturalised and created viable communities that exist to this day.

It is generally felt that when the region becomes sufficiently stable again, and an operating international airport can be re-established, Dubai has tremendous potential as an unique eco-tourism destination.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161079/Post-Apocalypse-Dubai-Artists-eerie-photos-imagine-wild-animals-roaming-free-crumbling-remains-abandoned-desert-city.html

THIS IS A PICTURE OF IWC

maybe the dingo ate your baby
lol i hate this shit
if you want this to count as an entry it has to be posted in the contest thred. its stickied at the top of this forum. thank you.

aerdil posted:

lol i hate this shit

why?

the pictures are pretty cool but good lord i hate the phrase "eco-tourism", it belongs in a linguistic dumpster along with "microloans" and "TED conference"

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

the pictures are pretty cool but good lord i hate the phrase "eco-tourism", it belongs in a linguistic dumpster along with "microloans" and "TED conference"

"green jobs" too

In January 2017 the media reported that the CEO of General Electric in Fairfield, Connecticut had called a press conference to announce his companies' energy research labs' successful development of ground-breaking technology for the cheap and clean separation of Hydrogen from sea water.

The prospect of a future with a totally clean, effectively-free, recyclable, and readily available energy source shook the world. The markets reacted immediately and the price of a barrel of oil dropped to below $10.

stopped reading here.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

"green jobs" too

also "thomas friedman"

seems pretty complex for a kids film but i cant wait to see the new madagascar
western dudes waiting with bated breath for dubai to sink into the desert is racist as hell hth
hahahaha i can't wait until their tacky consumerist slave society finally meets its inevitable collapse!!! *buys manufactured goods, ignores the homeless, lives in a state of luxury unknowable to the vast majority of the world's population*
*dies from walking into a busy road due to Epic Myopia*
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

why do you qualify it as racist? over 90% of the emirati workforce is foreign and the caste system in dubai is amazingly racist

because the underlying assumption is that while its fine for western societies to build their wealth on imported slave labour and reckless speculation when arabs do it its a violation of natures laws that can only end in lions prowling the desert between ruined skyscrapers

deadken posted:

discipline posted:

why do you qualify it as racist? over 90% of the emirati workforce is foreign and the caste system in dubai is amazingly racist

because the underlying assumption is that while its fine for western societies to build their wealth on imported slave labour and reckless speculation when arabs do it its a violation of natures laws that can only end in lions prowling the desert between ruined skyscrapers

you are really reaching here with your premises. you should czech 'em before you wreck yourself

deadken posted:

western dudes waiting with bated breath for dubai to sink into the desert is racist as hell hth

i mean, "western dudes" here is inferred to be the internet marxists, the same people who sit in their rooms 18 hours a day posting on revleft & llco about how much america sucks

Yeah... uhm,

deadken posted:

discipline posted:

thanks for checking in, Liberalism

i dont mean internet marxists, although they may well be guilty of the same thing. the collapse of dubai is all over western culture. theres even a video game about it
like in the article in the op its interesting how dubai is turned to wreckage not by a revolt of the oppressed subcontinentals or w/e but by a technological discovery made by the brave white men of fairfield, connecticut

deadken posted:

discipline posted:

Oh great. More slaveonationalism. Westerners have this notion about what a "slave" is, arising from some image of the antebellum American South, but the fact is that the Gulf Arabs have their own unique, rich tradition of slavery stretching back centuries. Please be historicizing, rather than slavewashing.

these chintzy pretenders to our throne of having a bunch of giant concrete phalluses didn't work for it like we innovative westerners, they were just sitting on a big pool of oil. how just it will be when the oil runs out! then they, and they alone, will be reduced to poverty and me and my goon buddies can do urbex in the ruins with steampunk torches :awesome:
my slave could beat up ur slave

deadken posted:

these chintzy pretenders to our throne of having a bunch of giant concrete phalluses didn't work for it like we innovative westerners, they were just sitting on a big pool of oil. how just it will be when the oil runs out! then they, and they alone, will be reduced to poverty and me and my goon buddies can do urbex in the ruins with steampunk torches :awesome:

thats accurate

Lessons posted:

deadken posted:

discipline posted:

Oh great. More slaveonationalism. Westerners have this notion about what a "slave" is, arising from some image of the antebellum American South, but the fact is that the Gulf Arabs have their own unique, rich tradition of slavery stretching back centuries. Please be historicizing, rather than slavewashing.

yeah man stop hating on the gays.

deadken posted:

i dont mean internet marxists, although they may well be guilty of the same thing. the collapse of dubai is all over western culture. theres even a video game about it

tbh i think it's consistent with the rest of the hand-wringing/waving over late stage all-consuming capitalism that comes from the left. also, the western criticism levied against countries for their "immoral" economic practices is done with the implicit goal of keeping other countries underdeveloped compared to the west. while it's possible to see elements of racism within all western ideology, i don't focusing merely on that is the correct way to look at this

dubai and the gulf states are an inalienable part of the West imo. they may not be white but neither are the japanese
yeah, no
the whole east/west paradigm was basically invented in response to arab/islamic civilisations; the gulf states and other comparador regimes are playing nice now but some factions in the islamic world have intermittently been doing the same for millennia
may we now put the entertaining fiction that gives colour and zazz to our recreational analyses aside, and admit that the only true distinction lies in "money" vs. "no money"
also i don't think islam has existed for millennia
one point whatever is still a plural number

littlegreenpills posted:

i basically havent sen any evidence of islam at all, anywhere

also eurocentricism ftw

littlegreenpills posted:

right bc moses was kicking it like 200 years ago and shit.. what teh fuck are you talking about lol

[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

right bc moses was kicking it like 200 years ago and shit.. what teh fuck are you talking about lol

wow. looks like this noob needs to learn he self the New Chronology

moses
supposes
that noses
are roses
but moses
supposes
*raises eyebrow and looks right at you*
erroneously
I will make a promise. If we do discover a miracle free energy, it won't be GE that does it. Fucks have been useless at anything for the last dozen years and literally only exist because they're too fuckoff huge for any of the other corps to cannibalize.