[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
seriously watch that youtube i think you'd like it a lot. we Care a lot.
[account deactivated]
sunset limited was a good movie

tpaine posted:

Lessons posted:
seriously watch that youtube i think you'd like it a lot. we Care a lot.

these things are crazy. when one gets killed by a car hundreds of others gather on the wires either side of the road and screech-mourn for hours over it's body...it's really disconcerting, they're fucking loud too

w00t.
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

w00t.

noice, get out and enjoy it....4-5 days in the mid 80s is pretty rare for that part of the world right?

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

babyfinland posted:

w00t.

noice, get out and enjoy it....4-5 days in the mid 80s is pretty rare for that part of the world right?

i've been burning really easily lately for some reason so i've been doing what i can but yeah. also i have a ton of work this week so as much as its nice its also a big eff you

this is actually cold for a summer here, usually its like 90 and sunny most of the time

I have some dark blood somewhere so I tan don’t burn but the british backpackers who come over his in summer get the nickname “lobsters” hahahaha.

Anyway try and enjoy it, I wish it was summer, in fact you should all get off the internet and go for a walk.

tpaine posted:

Lessons posted:

lol at the sound effects

also the parts where he forgets his lines

[account deactivated]
That scene does a good job of showing the atheistic/nihilistic viewpoint, but it clearly was written by someone who subscribes to that viewpoint and is rather ignorant of the other. I don't think an experienced person of faith would be shaken by such a maudlin monologue, since it is not novel nor shockingly unbelievable, but contrarily, one so regular to the human experience that they had surely thought it themselves many times. I caught a common theological misconception or two which demonstrates a lack of understanding in the Christian worldview, as well, so Samuel was an unsatisfactory straw man.

Though an ostensibly wise old man is preaching suicide, he has lived his life without suiciding. Though he wishes to join a death cult, he never did, and never threw himself into the arms of the dark angel until this moment where death was finally, unavoidably, at his door? The thing which is unbelievable is not his rather mundane indulgence in despair, but his true commitment to the consequences of the ideology; he is a coward and would not have left, though he may not have been able to summon hope. He would have sat and waited idle, putting it off, because in his heart he fears.

Edited by Alyosha ()

Alyosha posted:

That scene does a good job of showing the atheistic/nihilistic viewpoint, but it clearly was written by someone who subscribes to that viewpoint and is rather ignorant of the other. I don't think an experienced person of faith would be shaken by such a maudlin monologue, since it is not novel nor shockingly unbelievable, but contrarily, one so regular to the human experience that they had surely thought it themselves many times. I caught a common theological misconception or two which demonstrates a lack of understanding in the Christian worldview, as well, so Samuel was an unsatisfactory straw man.

Though an ostensibly wise old man is preaching suicide, he has lived his life without suiciding. Though he wishes to join a death cult, he never did, and never threw himself into the arms of the dark angel until this moment where death was finally, unavoidably, at his door? The thing which is unbelievable is not his rather mundane indulgence in despair, but his true commitment to the consequences of the ideology; he is a coward and would not have left, though he may not have been able to summon hope. He would have sat and waited idle, putting it off, because in his heart he fears.

you should watch the movie because thats really like the opposite of the movie

babyfinland posted:

w00t.

fucking shite. 104 today, I rode to training in the morning and from there to work in the afternoon, it was insane, I've never sweated so hard in my life

dang
Fair enough, I'm watching it. (Purchased legally)

"Western civilization went up in smoke in the chimneys of Dachau." This from a guy who cares about the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire? Murder, genocide, and all sorts of other nightmarish travesty precede the Holocaust; it's a 20th century limitation that people do not look further into the past than that, and think it is the greatest horror humanity has achieved. The great Roman Empire itself, bedrock of "Western civilization" (if not the philosophical Greeks), slaughtered en masse, without even need for a guiding ideology beyond that might makes right. They killed the Jews as well, destroyed Jerusalem, destroyed the Temple, scattered them throughout the world. They then weakened until they were overrun by barbarians and the Dark Ages began. Though it was fraught with atrocity, let us not delude ourselves that the 20th century was the bloodiest rather than the least bloody in recorded history.
I wrung out my wicking tshirt behind a maverik today.
"You think he got that kinda free time?" - the supposed theologian, arguing that God has limited time.

God is unbound by time, time is his invention and he exists outside it. He spends our entire lifetime with his full attention on each of us.

thats an expression joel
I think the context makes clear he was seriously arguing that God would not have "spoken" to him if he was not willing to listen, because God does not "have the time" to address those who do not listen. This is wrong. God is constantly communicating with all who live. There was nothing ironic about his delivery nor is that "expression" ever used outside this film.
he is saying that god isnt going to sink to your level and coddle you with your petty stuff

someone not having time for something is an expression, it doesnt necesarily mean their schedule is booked
The admittedly heretical theologian is now claiming that he does not believe in Original Sin. He believes that we start out innocent, but our actions make us sinful.

Well, he is wrong; our evil passions are part of our basic animalistic makeup. We are driven to sin naturally. It is our very essence to be tempted into sin. Every human, save the Savior, has brought upon himself a book full of misdeeds which could be used by God to condemn him to Hell. And each of us knows it.

Only serving God forgives us for our terrible sin.
almost all of his heresy is orthodox in islam hehe
LOL @ "The dialectic of the homily always presupposes a ground of evil."

So now we know he's a Marxist professor.

Doesn't that statement just agree with the theologian anyway? It's saying he rejects the "ground of evil". But so does the theologian! Of course, as I demonstrated before, we've deviated away from Christianity now.

A religious man might say: so what if our language includes that? It's the truth! But our theologian is impressed and talks admirably about the nihilist's previously unseen intellect.

And now our suicidal nihilist preaching about the "moral leper colony" before him, and how "dangerous" it is.

And now he brings it up again: "You said he didn't have a lot of free time. Why would he come here?" So, our mistaken theologian has laid the false premises of his argument.
I finished watching it.

The author wrote the nihilist as correct. He projected his darkest beliefs onto him and backed it up with the character's imaginary "credentials". The theologian did not have the proper perspective of someone preaching tried-and-true Christianity, but an altered version designed to suit the tastes of the author. Despite his extreme life experiences, he was naive to the extent of darkness. In the end, the film implied the nihilist's victory, and the believer left in doubt.

Imagine what a better ending would occur for both characters if he ultimately found God. Imagine the enduring friendship and joy they would experience for the rest of their lives, and thereafter. The author left just enough of an opening that we could still hope for that. He couldn't bring himself to have the man be killed. By leaving it open, our author showed us that deep down, he still believes in the possibility of salvation through God.

Alyosha posted:

theres quite a bit of difference between being shaken by a "monologue", and being shaken by a heated conversation with an irl human being that you know intends to immediately go kill himself if you cant convince him otherwise. also theres no such thing as THE Christian worldview

its actually one of my favorite movies and one of the few thats been unapologetically theological without making me want to go throw up pink marshmallow peeps as soon as it was done

Superabound posted:

Alyosha posted:

theres quite a bit of difference between being shaken by a "monologue", and being shaken by a heated conversation with an irl human being that you know intends to immediately go kill himself if you cant convince him otherwise. also theres no such thing as THE Christian worldview

its actually one of my favorite movies and one of the few thats been unapologetically theological without making me want to go throw up pink marshmallow peeps as soon as it was done

same but the matrix

i bet if Sam L had just grabbed him and kissed him all over his face everything would have been ok
he deserves to die and I hope he burns in hell
whats his review of My Dinner With Andre say
BILL MURRAY CAN CRASH HERE

Alyosha posted:

LOL @ "The dialectic of the homily always presupposes a ground of evil."

So now we know he's a Marxist professor.

most philosophers in the first half or so of the 19th century talked about dialectics, because hegel was the most influential philosopher of the period

my take would that white's an existentialist, a sort of atheist kierkegaardian, but i don't think that's really the point

babyfinland posted:

w00t.

Fuck Y0u.

it has not stopped raining in britain. we're meant to be having an olympics and the stadium roof doesnt even cover all the spectators lol. whose idea was this