Now I lay me, down to sleep, i pray the Lord, soul to keep. May angels watch me, through the night, and wake me with, the morning light: please bless mommy and grandmommy and grandaddy and daddy and brudder and sissy and bless mista peeps and bless rover and the kitty and the baby kittys and bless johnathan and his mommy and bless santa claus and my teachers and so i get good grades amen

Why is this a theology debate, its’ a Eurabia debate

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

you're flattening the question out by asserting that the big Other is God, which i don't think is lacan's position.

lol dude you just claimed that atheism was unintelligible because the big Other was based on a monotheistic ontology

well if i did then that's a fault pf my own clumsiness and not lacan's argument; i'm not that well versed in lacan anyway (as you know)

Superabound posted:

babyfinland posted:

catharism was the dominant faith of the occitan aristocracy you noob

i just read three books about this dont even front

which they came into of their own free will. Catharism wasnt militaristically evengelical, the clergy held no power over anything other than the message and the spirit. They did not force populaces into the official state religion as the Roman church did.

Catharism won in the open marketplace of ideas, not on the blood-drenched battlefields where the Catholic church excelled. And for this they had to be eradicated

The Romans realized that they had killed the Body of Christ but not the Spirit

this is utterly wrong

catharism was an elitist sect that opposed certain tithes the church had begun to demand. thats its appeal. cathar believers had a tenuous grasp on cathar doctrine, the perfects were corrupt or monastic perverts and cathar believers tended to simultaneously identify with and perform catholic religion as well. read montaillou. gnosticism is for teen wiccans

Edited by babyfinland ()

"One of the standard topics of today's conservative cultural critique is that, in our permissive era, children lack firm limits or prohibitions. This lack frustrates them, driving them from one to another excess. It is only a firm limit set up by some symbolic authority that can guarantee stability and satisfaction - satisfaction brought about by way of violating the prohibition, of transgressing the limit. To render clear the way denegation functions in the unconscious, Freud evoked a reaction of one of his patients to a dream of his centred around an unknown woman: 'Whoever this woman in my dream is, I know it is not my mother.' A clear negative proof, for Freud, that the woman was his mother. What better way to characterize today's typical patient than to imagine his opposite reaction to the same dream: 'Whoever this woman in my dream was, I am sure it has something to do with my mother!'

Traditionally, psychoanalysis was expected to allow the patient to overcome the obstacles which prevented him/her the access to normal sexual satisfaction: if you are not able to "get it," go to the analyst who will enable you to get rid of your inhibitions. Today, however, we are bombarded from all sides by different versions of the injunction "Enjoy!", from direct enjoyment in sexual performance to enjoyment in professional achievement or in spiritual awakening. Jouissance today effectively functions as a strange ethical duty: individuals feel guilty not for violating moral inhibitions by way of engaging in illicit pleasures, but for not being able to enjoy. In this situation, psychoanalysis is the only discourse in which you are allowed not to enjoy - not prohibited to enjoy, but just relieved of the pressure to enjoy." - snuffles
"stop worrying" lol
dr strangefaith or how i learned to stop worrying and love the 'slam
what sort of madman convinces someone they will soon cease to exist forever and then follows it up with chuckles about don't worry be happy

i mean other than bobby mcferrin

dont worry be happy
hahahahahahahahah
ok man i do becose iam muslem
aser1111 17 hours ago

full circle
alec baldwin's forehead
i still don't really understand why God allows so much suffering

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

you'd think a benevolent God would have stopped you from posting

Goethestein posted:

that's like 22 humans and one demon for every two angels, i like those odds

god is a tank formation
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Good point.,, makes you think

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

this is utterly wrong

catharism was an elitist sect that opposed certain tithes the church had begun to demand. thats its appeal. cathar believers had a tenuous grasp on cathar doctrine, the perfects were corrupt or monastic perverts and cathar believers tended to simultaneously identify with and perform catholic religion as well. read montaillou. gnosticism is for teen wiccans

lol nice revisionism, popelover

btw its Bons Hommes you freakin bigot

Superabound posted:

no, technically its parfait or perfeti, "goodmen" was a colloquial term for them and also non-cathar holy men. noob

[account deactivated]

so this can happen

babyfinland posted:

Superabound posted:

no, technically its parfait or perfeti, "goodmen" was a colloquial term for them and also non-cathar holy men. noob

Perfecti was outsider terminology and catty sarcasm, slanderously implying that the bons hommes both claimed perfection (they did not) while decadently falling short of it. if you could pull your lips away from your gold-trimmed vicar's robe for five seconds maybe you would know a thing

Can we not use anti-gnostic (or any) slurs?
[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

babyfinland posted:

Superabound posted:

Perfecti was outsider terminology and catty sarcasm, slanderously implying that the bons hommes both claimed perfection (they did not) while decadently falling short of it. if you could pull your lips away from your gold-trimmed vicar's robe for five seconds maybe you would know a thing

according to who?

babyfinland posted:

according to who?

non-papists

tpaine posted:

i watched this whole thing

babyfinland posted:

catharism was the dominant faith of the occitan aristocracy you noob

i just read three books about this dont even front

oh wow you read three whole books. three books! thats WAY better than acting as a spiritual conduit for several long-dead Cathars during solemn rituals occuring regularly over the course of your entire adult life. fuck me, if only i had read THREE BOOKS instead. what a fucking shortcut! we got ourselves a regular fucking Roald Amundsen over here!

[account deactivated]
Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering!
A spectre is haunting my rep button — the spectre of alcoholism
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i read three books too. penthouse letters vol. 1, penthouse letters vol. 2, and fuck and destroy by Johnsonville "Brat" Christee

The Mother of All Downvotes: The Crisp Crispy story
@Christ - don't post the god damn appeal to catastrophy as an anti-religious argument... that's some amateur hour shit bro

@Tom - I can see where you're coming from wrt the whole wanting to defend the truth from the various dipshits who post on this forum but, really, shouldn't you know better than to waste time on this by now?