Astronaut Sally Ride comes out posthumously

In life Sally Ride was known as the first American woman to enter space, but upon news of her death it has been revealed she was a trailblazer twice over; she was also the first lesbian astronaut.

Sally Ride, 61, died of pancreatic cancer Monday at her home in the San Diego suburb of La Jolla.

Ride was known as a private person, so details of her illness were not common knowledge until the time of her death. Likewise, an important part of her personal life wasn't made known until her obituary was posted on her website. Ride posthumously revealed her long-time partnership with a woman.

“In addition to Tam O’Shaughnessy, her partner of 27 years, Sally is survived by her mother, Joyce; her sister, Bear; her niece, Caitlin, and nephew, Whitney; her staff of 40 at Sally Ride Science; and many friends and colleagues around the country.”

Ride's sister, Bear Ride — who identifies as gay — confirmed the news in her interview with BuzzFeed.

"The pancreatic cancer community is going to be absolutely thrilled that there's now this advocate that they didn't know about. And, I hope the GLBT community feels the same," Bear Ride said.

"I hope it makes it easier for kids growing up gay that they know that another one of their heroes was like them."

Sally Ride went into space first in 1983 and then again in 1984. (NASA/Associated Press)
In 1983, when Ride was 32-years-old, she rode on the space shuttle Challenger. After her flight, more than 42 other American women flew in space, NASA said.

According to a spokesperson from Sally Ride Science, Ride's company that provides educational materials and programs to schools, there had not been any published admission about Ride's sexual orientation.

Bear Ride said that was due to her sister's nature as a private person — even withholding information about her illness to the public — and confirmed her sister, who did not choose to use labels, never hid her relationship with O'Shaugnessy from friends and family.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/07/24/astronaut-sally-ride-comes-out-posthumously.html

First lesbian astronaut.

i think the original joke is "second date" so i apologize for my error
bear ride
i, too, am just thrilled that Sally Ride died of pancreatic cancer
"this is really great for her personal brand" said the sibling of the deceased
has anyone ever noticed that all really successful women are lesbians
when i die, if my family doesn't commercialize every private aspect of my personal life i'm coming back as a ghost and haunting the shit out of them. capitalism ftw.
dying is pretty cool

Cycloneboy posted:

when i die, if my family doesn't commercialize every private aspect of my personal life i'm coming back as a ghost and haunting the shit out of them. capitalism ftw.

when i die i want my organs divided up and sold on the chinese black market to financially help support my victims grieving families

Superabound posted:

has anyone ever noticed that all really successful women are lesbians

no men around to undermine them

after a tasteful memorial service Sally Ride's body will be shot into a black hole as per her will and africansappho.com ad
[account deactivated]
Q: What does a lesbian astronaut bring on her first date?

A: Depends
bear ride, doon doon doon. chemo queasy doon doon doon
why didnt she just say she was a lesbian. what kind of person chimps out about old lesbians nowadays
google cotton ceiling
theres a blog that mentons it called femonade. thats kind of clever
which took more courage: Sally Ride coming out posthumously, or Thomas Jefferson freeing his slaves posthumously

Superabound posted:

which took more courage: Sally Ride coming out posthumously, or Thomas Jefferson freeing his slaves posthumously

gyrofry posted:

Superabound posted:

[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

at first i wasnt laughing, then i saw the reactions, then i read the post again, and is aw your avatar, and now im laughing relaly hard

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

at first i wasnt laughing, then i saw the reactions, then i read the post again, and is aw your avatar, and now im laughing relaly hard

a man who gets it. agood man

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
dead can't dance
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
for some reason i seem to get along with lesbians better than any other demographic of people
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i got it. i had the time of my life
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

for some reason i seem to get along with lesbians better than any other demographic of people

they're the master race. one day everyone will be a lesbian. men will be extinct.

they get so much done in a day...