Here's your talking points:

- Better title would have been Not Without My Charter

- Maybe it was directed by Wes Anderson because the adults act like children and the children act like adults.

- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Erin Brockovich meets Waiting for Superman.

Let's make sure it's a hit so that our reform agenda gets through Congress.
[account deactivated]
this is p. cool

One of the city’s highest-performing charter school groups, the Noble Street Charter School Network, has raked in nearly $400,000 over the last two school years by fining students for disciplinary infractions, a group of Chicago Public School students and parents said this morning.

The Noble Street Charter School Network collected $188,647 in fines, which it calls “fees,” during the 2010-2011 school year across the 10 high schools it operates. Since the 2008-2009 school year, the organization has collected $386,745 in detention fees and behavior classes.

Noble schools charge students $5 for behavior infractions like “bringing chips to school” and “not looking a teacher in the eye,” and students with multiple infractions must pay $140 to take a behavior-improvement course during summer school, according to information obtained by a trio of student, parent and legal advocacy groups.

my favorite scene is when Maggie Gyllenhaal makes the girl sit at her desk all day peeing her pants until daddy Spader comes to pick her up

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

this is p. cool

One of the city’s highest-performing charter school groups, the Noble Street Charter School Network, has raked in nearly $400,000 over the last two school years by fining students for disciplinary infractions, a group of Chicago Public School students and parents said this morning.

The Noble Street Charter School Network collected $188,647 in fines, which it calls “fees,” during the 2010-2011 school year across the 10 high schools it operates. Since the 2008-2009 school year, the organization has collected $386,745 in detention fees and behavior classes.

Noble schools charge students $5 for behavior infractions like “bringing chips to school” and “not looking a teacher in the eye,” and students with multiple infractions must pay $140 to take a behavior-improvement course during summer school, according to information obtained by a trio of student, parent and legal advocacy groups.

American schools and American prisons are nothing but bookends of the same for-profit institution so this should come as no surprise

I went to a charter school and it was (an) awesome (experience for me as a student)

edit: include parentheticals for less hyperbolic/artistic and more literal posting experiacne
u shld get on aim bro
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
there's a joke in here somewhere about school choice and the joker blowing up maggie gyllenhaal. you just have to look into your heart and you'll find it
[account deactivated]
starring now suddenly d list maggie gyllenhaal and the fat sister from the sopranos
[account deactivated]

fiz posted:

starring now suddenly d list maggie gyllenhaal and the fat sister from the sopranos

And Viola Davis, who probably won a golden globe or something for her heroic female blackness playing a maid.

tpaine posted:

maggie gylenaheal said something bad about Troops or something and had to apologize a few years ago, she's fucked

What's Jake up to?

[account deactivated]
Why did you get rid of your mudvayne avatar?

fiz posted:

meadow wasn't really fat except in season 2 maybe

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
madon, the manigot

MadMedico posted:

tpaine posted:
What's Jake up to?

MadMedico posted:

dudes probably

[account deactivated]

Superabound posted:

my favorite scene is when Maggie Gyllenhaal makes the girl sit at her desk all day peeing her pants until daddy Spader comes to pick her up

srs that movie was so goddamn hott

I know there was a bit of commotion about Jake Gyllenhaal playing the lead in Prince of Persia, being a white guy and all. But the role did require him to be shirtless, and like, have you ever seen a Persian guy without his shirt?

MadMedico posted:

And Viola Davis, who probably won a golden globe or something for her heroic female blackness playing a maid.

she earned that oscar for delivering the line "oh lawdy i sho loves me some fried chicken" with the correct level of coonery the scene required

the role did require him to be shirtless, and like, have you ever seen a Persian guy without his shirt?

like robin williams with a chest of matted steel wool.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

peepaw posted:

srs that movie was so goddamn hott

i rmember my friends ragging on me pretty hard for liking that movie back in my early 20s and its p funny seeing it in all their top 10 lists a decade later

MadMedico posted:

Corrupped teacher unions, better watch out! Youve got ONE MAD MOMMA on yer tail and shes not gonna back down until her babys are gettin' what she has been deluded into believing is a proper learnin'!
Eye of the she wolf!
And then in with the claws!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to the scene where we follow the public school teacher who has to buy her students pencils and paper out of her own pocket, deals with shitty parents who poison their kids' minds, then goes home to her third floor walkup and grades papers for three hours, composes a lesson plan for two, has a microwaved frozen dinner, and goes to sleep crying.

*sees the movie*

That did not happen.
IM LOOKING FORWWRDS TO THE PERT WHERE I SEEN MAGGIES BREASTS AND BODY IN A WEIRD SITUATION OF EXTREME CONTROL, LIKE IN ALL HER OTHER MOVIES. THIS IS NOT SARCASM. I CANT GET ENUFF