we all know the major disasters caused by neoliberal chemistry. for a quick example, most modern weapon systems are equipped with explosives that were developed by right-wing chemists and physicists. what you might not know is that this goes directly to the heart of chemistry itself - the theory of chemistry is completely corrupt, which speaks to a large extent to why we have such a terrible society nowadays.

a good example is fire. contemporary neoliberal chemistry tends to argue that, say, burning wood requires oxygen which combines and creates carbon dioxide. the surprising thing is that there was a lot of research done by early and heterodox scientists on a "phlogiston theory". this theory is more social justice oriented because it suggests that fire elements are in the wood itself. phlogiston is an intrinsic part of wood that is released into the air when burned.

contemporary neoliberal "caloric" theory isn't even really a theory but it is taught in neoliberal textbooks as if it is self-evidently true without talking about the broader debate. radical chemistry students have been fighting to get phlogiston theory, for example, into the first year courses so that students can be exposed to justice-oriented theory. there are also small but important graduate conferences on phlogiston theory.
Interestnig.
fart
unironically

i apologize for this thread

*clicks 'close thread'*
I'm a Right-Wing Neoliberal Chemist. ask me questions.

getfiscal posted:

i apologize for this thread

*clicks 'close thread'*

I get it, I got it and I lolled, good work op.
my alchemy skills are severely underdeveloped.
of course textbooks today imply that we have always known that caloric theory was correct but at the end of the 19th century there was a lively debate between the caloricians and the phlogistons, and out of these debates a heterodox but still generally caloric school, referred to as the austrian school because its founding figures came from austrian chemical institutes, was formed. the austrians, in a way similiar to the phlogistons, agreed that the inductive "fire = fuel + oxygen + flame" was absurd and posited a deductive method that took account of the agency and independence of the fuel, without, however, giving absolute primacy to the fact of the fuels being used up, as the phlogistons did. in fact there were sharp debates over what was called 'fuel theory' during this time, where the phlogistons insisted that abstract wood was the source and determinant of all fire and the austrians arguing that it was important but ultimately co-determined by other factors such as matches, flamethrowers and so forth. attached to this was a debate about fixed and variable wood that spiraled completely out of control and was made irrelevant forever (say the caloricians) by the invention of sterno.

Edited by stegosaurus ()

In terms of most privilege to least:

White, cis, straight, male
White, cis, gay, male
White, trans, straight, male
White, trans, gay, male
Black, cis, straight, male
Black, cis, gay, male
Black, trans, straight, male
Black, trans, gay, male
White, cis, straight female
White, cis, gay female
Black, cis, straight female

And so on.
you forgot about jews

deadken posted:

In terms of most privilege to least:

White, cis, straight, male
White, cis, gay, male
White, trans, straight, male
White, trans, gay, male
Black, cis, straight, male
Black, cis, gay, male
Black, trans, straight, male
Black, trans, gay, male
White, cis, straight female
White, cis, gay female
Black, cis, straight female

And so on.

The pattern breaks down at the end. Shouldn't white trans straight female and white trans gay female be above black cis straight female? Ordered by sex, then race, then trans status, then sexual preference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEYQ46gH08&feature=player_embedded this is a sick video about usa destroying yugoslavia and killing the serbs

you change your avatar so much

The film then elaborates that the West openly diplomatically and covertly militarily supported separatist groups and encouraged conflict so that NATO could jump in as peacekeepers for their own interests. What the West gained in all of the republics of the former Yugoslavia is thoroughly depicted in the film

Why did NATO wait so goddamn long to get involved then?

thats a cool movie

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

The film then elaborates that the West openly diplomatically and covertly militarily supported separatist groups and encouraged conflict so that NATO could jump in as peacekeepers for their own interests. What the West gained in all of the republics of the former Yugoslavia is thoroughly depicted in the film

Why did NATO wait so goddamn long to get involved then?

If you'll recall, the serbs threatened no nato member state. They needed to let those muslims get massacred so they could get in. watch the movie dog

alright i'll watch it......i just don't get why NATO waited so long when they could have easily gone in way earlier. Imperialism isn't known for it's restraint and patience

alright i'll watch it......i just don't get why NATO waited so long when they could have easily gone in way earlier. Imperialism isn't known for it's restraint and patience

The time it took for the US to promote the dissolution of Yugoslavia, conflict between the countries, propaganda against the Serbs, arming Bosniacs, having retired generals 'consult' with croatian forces who perpetrated massive ethnic cleansings of serbs, and then finally an air war, was rather short really. It's honestly worth watching, and I hate asking people to watch youtubes

what? haha, you dont know sh1t. FUCKER

Also it's an example of Germany's Nazi governments survival resulting in Nazi policy done over again but this time in a law abiding acceptable form.

Crow posted:

what? haha, you dont know sh1t. FUCKER

yeah i know that's a bit of a clumsy assertion but orright i'll watch the film

i mean come on, it took them ten years for a proper invasion of Iraq (almost two years of bloodthirsty hysteria if you're jus counting down from 9/11). Libya took decades, and North Korea still hasnt been steamrolled over. there's alot of pragmatic and bureaucratic considerations, not to mention international maneuvering. it's complex. ya cant just apply a theory of "imperialism" to everything, not even bush, a great president, got it down pat to knock out the Axis of Evil. Fucked up that obongo is gonna steal his thunder.
Alright, I remain open to being convinced by this theory....i just have limited sympathies for European nationalisms especially i guess

Alright, I remain open to being convinced by this theory....i just have limited sympathies for European nationalisms especially i guess

eastern europe is not Europe

We have to stop them, we have to stop them
itt we're gonna party like it's topic 1999