The man who gave the Black Panther Party some of its first firearms and weapons training - which preceded fatal shootouts with Oakland police in the turbulent 1960s - was an undercover FBI informer, according to a former bureau agent and an FBI report.

Aoki went on to work for 25 years as a teacher, counselor and administrator at the Peralta Community College District, and after his suicide in 2009, he was revered as a fearless radical.

But unbeknownst to his fellow activists, Aoki had served as an FBI intelligence informant, covertly filing reports on a wide range of Bay Area political groups, according to the bureau agent who recruited him.

That agent, Burney Threadgill Jr., recalled that he approached Aoki in the late 1950s, about the time Aoki was graduating from Berkeley High School. He asked Aoki if he would join left-wing groups and report to the FBI.

"He was my informant. I developed him," Threadgill said in an interview. "He was one of the best sources we had."

The former agent said he asked Aoki how he felt about the Soviet Union, and the young man replied that he had no interest in communism.

"I said, 'Well, why don't you just go to some of the meetings and tell me who's there and what they talked about?' Very pleasant little guy. He always wore dark glasses," Threadgill recalled.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Activist-Richard-Aoki-named-as-informant-3800133.php

Whether Aoki was (rather short-sightedly) playing the FBI to get access to weapons or attempting to undermine the Panthers is an interesting question

you are
Hmm... this is interesting. I'm going to email an ex-panther professor of mine tonite and ask him what he thinks of this.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

I'm going to email an ex-panther professor of mine tonite and ask him what he thinks of this.

catchphrase

[account deactivated]
why dont you inform the FBI that your gay
Richard Aoki was really good in Darkplace and that My Dinner With Andre episode of Community he directed
a really vague reference in an fbi document and the word of some dead dude is the kind of solid evidence that conclusively proved izzy stone was a soviet spy and e howard hunt killed jfk

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

a really vague reference in an fbi document and the word of some dead dude is the kind of solid evidence that conclusively proved izzy stone was a soviet spy and e howard hunt killed jfk

haha youre one of those people

*flaps arms anxiously* its really vague!!! its just vague!!!

babyfinland posted:

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

you poest like a cointelpro

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

you poest like a cointelpro

wow thats really vague

its not unique but it is true
though a totally wishy-washy musician, fred ho kind of goes buck on this http://sfbayview.com/2012/fred-ho-refutes-the-claim-that-richard-aoki-was-an-fbi-informant/

palafox posted:

though a totally wishy-washy musician, fred ho kind of goes buck on this http://sfbayview.com/2012/fred-ho-refutes-the-claim-that-richard-aoki-was-an-fbi-informant/

thats actually pretty dumb because no one is claiming he was an "FBI agent", just that he was in contact with the police, at most an informant. all this apologism abotu this is really bizarre and hysterical and not really grounded in the assertions being made. like i dont even read the evidence as damning of aoki, its just interesting that he obviously was in contact with the FBI in a substantive way

babyfinland posted:

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

i'm a people and you can be too if you accept christ into your life and repent for your sins.

i really don't understand why you aren't christian BF. why not just convert to christianity? you already converted to islam, why not convert to the rest of the religions and become omnireligious to reap all the benefits

AmericanNazbro posted:

i really don't understand why you aren't christian BF. why not just convert to christianity? you already converted to islam, why not convert to the rest of the religions and become omnireligious to reap all the benefits

lol you cant deny the haqq, friend

DEATH TO LIBERALS FULL COMMUNISM SLAVOHITLER IN EFFECT-- hey man just exercise your individual free choice and pursue a different religion, life is a party

babyfinland posted:

palafox posted:

thats actually pretty dumb because no one is claiming he was an "FBI agent", just that he was in contact with the police, at most an informant. all this apologism abotu this is really bizarre and hysterical and not really grounded in the assertions being made. like i dont even read the evidence as damning of aoki, its just interesting that he obviously was in contact with the FBI in a substantive way

what do you mean "hysterical"? these are people that have known him for decades responding to vague allegations that damage their close friend's legacy and integrity, you weirdo. calm down

Crow posted:

babyfinland posted:

palafox posted:

what do you mean "hysterical"? these are people that have known him for decades responding to vague allegations that damage their close friend's legacy and integrity, you weirdo. calm down

no UR hysterical.. and a weirdo!!!

lol again "vague allegations"

keep saying it and it will become true

i mean i bought the story when it came out but i dont claim to have any authority on this guy's life. calm down
its just pathetic. why are peopel such babies
how does it damage his legacy. it shows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he supported a greater justice in the form of the american system of government, of checks and balances, against the pseudo-maoist terrorism of his insane, racist some colour panthers. i don't see race.
Woa, you close friends of some dude i have no idea who it is are big babies. Stop being hysterical, you weird old freaks, you are big babies and i cant believe y ou care about something you based your lives on. Just because the FBI has a very damaging history in your community doesnt mean you can defend the legacy of your friend. Look at this snippet of a conversation, I am more mature than you! Ha - ha! I am the mature one, hurling abuse at people i post with voluntarily! I am so mature and YOU are the BABIES. FuCKER!!!
lets not take hard evidence seriously and instead erect dreamy idols to project our fantasies on

maybe there was some benefit to him workign with the FBI, maybe he was scamming them. i dont doubt for a second aoki was a serious revolutionary but everyone is more concerned with protected cheesy nostalgic jerkoff fantasies then about proper history. perverts and losers imo.
Calm down

Crow posted:

Woa, you close friends of some dude i have no idea who it is are big babies. Stop being hysterical, you weird old freaks, you are big babies and i cant believe y ou care about something you based your lives on. Just because the FBI has a very damaging history in your community doesnt mean you can defend the legacy of your friend. Look at this snippet of a conversation, I am more mature than you! Ha - ha! I am the mature one, hurling abuse at people i post with voluntarily! I am so mature and YOU are the BABIES. FuCKER!!!

literally, agreed

except that i'm not hurling abuse anyone. maybe you need to take a break from the itnernet for a minute kid. aoki fbi documents are not about how much tom hates you or somethign

goldmine this thread now after you've ruined it thanks

palafox posted:

Richard Aoki was definitely not a government informant. if he was, why would they have allowed him to use his leadership to turn the weak and mewling Black Panthers of the 60s and 70s into the powerful, unstoppable revolutionary force they are today?

shut up superabound

babyfinland posted:

shut up superabound

lol go whine to your handler

http://www.aokifilm.com/2012/08/21/statement-allegations-richard-aoki-fbi-informant-mike-cheng-ben-wang/

A recent article (published at CIROnline.org) and book (entitled Subversives: The FBI’s War on Student Radicals, and Reagan’s Rise To Power), both authored by Seth Rosenfeld, contain a serious allegation that Richard Aoki acted as an FBI informant throughout his involvement in several revolutionary movements for social justice. If these allegations are proven to be true, we do not condone these actions in any shape or form. However, as the discourse and investigation of these claims commence, we feel it is important to remind people that the burden of proof must fall on those that make the accusation. “No investigation, no right to judge” is a common Movement saying that bears repeating in these circumstances. Accusing anyone of being an informant is extremely inflammatory and any allegations must be taken seriously and thoroughly investigated for evidence. For those familiar with the history of COINTELPRO and tactics employed by the FBI falsely hanging snitchjackets on prominent contributors to the Movement to create internal dissent and conflict, the burden of proof must lie with the individual or group making the claim. After reviewing Rosenfeld’s article, video, and book, there is no solid evidence presented that Richard was a FBI informant.

Rosenfeld’s conclusion that Richard was an FBI informant is based on the following:

• He claims Richard made “suggestive statements” during an interview he granted Rosenfeld in 2007. However, the audio Rosenfeld has provided of the interview reveals that Richard clearly denied any allegation that he was an FBI informant.

• An interview with former FBI agent Burney Threadgill in which he claims he recruited and trained Richard to be an informant. Threadgill passed away in 2005 and does not appear to have offered any additional proof beyond his own word, which contradicts Richard’s.

• An FBI document that connects Richard with a supplementary T symbol (SF T-2). This document does not explain what this designation meant except for the unclear statement, “the limited purpose of describing his connections with the organization and characterizing him.” Furthermore, all names under the Informants column on the page with the SF T-2 designation have been redacted. In fact, all names on this page have been redacted except for Richard’s, which calls for further information and clarification as to the actual identity of SF T-2. Since the identify of SF T-2 is unknown, it is possible that the SF T-2 informant was assigned to inform on Richard, explaining why Richard’s name is listed on this document and why SF T-2 was “designated (assigned) for…Aoki.” The FBI files released by Rosenfeld do not reveal any documentation that Aoki actually provided information to the FBI.

• The testimony of former FBI agent M. Wesley Swearingen that Richard fits the profile of an informant. While Swearingen has been consistently outspoken and critical of the FBI’s counter surveillance tactics, he admits he does not have any actual connection to Richard.

now go take some valerian root, calm down, chew on some sage bark to calm your Hysteria, Go be Normal for Once for Chrissakes, Sit in the Noob chair \_, and start treating people with respect, Or i'll report you

O and, O yea, Stop touching yourself at Night
Weird
your relationship to this stuff is really unhealthy crow
What the noob chair? Hey! Everyone was a noob once too ya know!

“No investigation, no right to judge” is a common Movement saying that bears repeating in these circumstances.

the original quote is "No investigation, no right to speak" and it was uttered by the chinese despot mao tse-tung. he killed millions of people in his foolhardy schemes. and aoki's dupes wanted to make america just like china. thank god they failed.

getfiscal posted:

“No investigation, no right to judge” is a common Movement saying that bears repeating in these circumstances.

the original quote is "No investigation, no right to speak" and it was uttered by the chinese despot mao tse-tung. he killed millions of people in his foolhardy schemes. and aoki's dupes wanted to make america just like china. thank god they failed.

sorry, but if memory serves, china is on the other side of the world, and this is America, which has different sayings and in fact a different language. Something perhaps you Queboicois dont understand, comprenez-vous, mon gâteau aux fruits peu? Beaucoup de baisers de la boulangerie