http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDibHD11XYw#t=3m58s
Dam that was a good ass log. Well, time to live my live by some idiot bullshit lol.

here's whatever happened on twitter

i think my foray into reddit was a bad idea. they downvoted my posts to zero and he posted a long caremad thing basically.

getfiscal posted:

i think my foray into reddit was a bad idea. they downvoted my posts to zero and he posted a long caremad thing basically.

that means youre right

u just won reddit
i shouldn't have bothered him. he's obviously like in a certain mode of thought or whatever and i'm in another and we're just going to argue past each other.
Yea well i think you did the right thing by engaging with him. the point isnt necessarily to change his mind as much as developing your own. it's up to him to see the truth or whatever. The important thing is to develop the mass line :trot:

getfiscal posted:

"they" in this case being one person, you probably shouldn't care. that guy p much always goes "you just don't understand what I mean"/"that's not relevant to MY version of Maoism"/blablabla even when these are obviously excuses.
protip: he will never ever let anyone else have the last word. you should keep replying, it gets pretty funny to see just how long you can keep him busy

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

those people talk for hours about forums happenings and drama haha

[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

tpaine posted:

those people talk for hours about forums happenings and drama haha

lmao the guy just rubs the dudes head lmao holy moly lol

[account deactivated]
lot of privilege in this video

haha i'd like to nominate this scene from the hit movie "gamer" (nsfw) as basically what the rhizzone is all about

[account deactivated]
lol

getfiscal posted:

p much what happened

I'm taking an econ class this semester and the instructor is marxist and doesn't agree with what he's teaching (intermediate micro) at all so every once in a while he can't stop himself and he goes on a long tangent about how one or another of the models we're examining doesn't actually work. he was saying on tuesday that the assertion that marginal cost equals market price is one obvious discontinuity between the real world and micro theory, taking as an example internet or cell phone service, which has almost no marginal cost but enormous fixed cost. he said that a solution (not a model, or another theory, but a real-world policy solution) was to nationalize telecommunications and fund the fixed costs through a tax. then he said that we should do the same thing with scientific research and software development, and said something about 'rents' which I agreed with. so far so good. then a student challenged him and said that without the profit motive there would be no reason for any of this research or innovation to take place to begin with. he got really flustered, like when you're about to pwn someone and you're stumbling over the words you're going to use to pwn them, anyway he would up making a weird two part argument that 1) capitalists dont innovate, capitalist innovation is just fluff like a new iphone, and 2) the only real innovation came when there was a counter-hegemonic force such as the soviet union to keep the us on its toes (which is competition??? right?). as an example he used the space programs of both countries, which was like, the most insane example I could have imagined to illustrate that competitive economies don't innovate considering that the american space program was more successful than the soviet, and both of them were completely un-capitalist in the sense that no immediate profit was expected from the investment...

but the main thing is that during all of this, which was a departure from the rest of the lecture, people were way more interested in the class and nobody was checking their phones or blatantly playing a video game on their laptops, and when he told everyone "you should read this book, it's called 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism, its a really good book" a few people actually wrote it down, as if they were maybe going to look it up later? and in the hall after he released the class (he let us go after basically stopping his argument mid-sentence and sheepishly saying "ok, well thats that I guess" and pointing towards the door), a few people were saying 'what an idiot' but most people were saying 'hey, at least we get to hear his side' which was way more charitable a response than what I was expecting, and it sounds like something I would have said a few years ago. anyway since I kind of want to be in his position in a short time (teaching undergrads) I was thinking, is there any point at all to doing what he did or is it basically a waste. I'm not really looking for answers but getfiscal's frustration with communicating with someone in a subreddit and crow's response to it kind of made me think of this.
what kind of began radicalizing me, at least in the direction of marxism, was taking a course with Harry Cleaver (Lol), at University of Texas, where he's like an embattled (autonomist) marxist professor that teaches History of Economic Theory (which is slumped into the Russian & Eastern European Studies faculty) and Political Economy of International Crises (also not in the economics faculty, but what stirred me up).

sometimes they let him teach ECON 101 or whatever, and i think he does good there too, if his other classes are any indication there's always business school idiots that try to challenge him, which is funny.

anyway, it helped in my case. but really i think this sort of thing has more to do with the concept of Divine Grace than any set path. so you can help people but then again people who dont want to be saved wont. Grundle
my advice (as if i should be one to give advice) is to just do something you really believe in and will go through whatever it takes to do. if its a hopelessly uphill battle, but its' your desire, do it. if you want to try to get through the molasses of jackape attention-depraved children, then i'm sure you'll succeed in it. someone has to. and as far as practicality, these are the times to do it, the next crisis will be bigger, more apocalyptic.
for reference: i published half-regurgitated screeds and ill-formed ravings against "liberals" in latter LF and apparently it got through to (some) people. sometimes its all about presentation. have some pizzaz. Have some pizzas. College students LOVE pizzas.
I remember having to go up to the front of the class to hand in paper proposals for history of economic philosophy up to Adam Smith, and the kid who put his proposal down before mine handed in something titled 'Ayn Rand on Freedom' (or something close to it). I wanted to grab that thing and read it so bad.
crow did you take any classes from joao he was the shit
in first year of university (2000-01) i was a ron paul supporter (OG) and sort of falling apart mentally. that year though i had a professor who taught a course on 'the state and the citizen' though and she had great lectures on rawls and marx. then the next year i had a professor that taught neo-gramscian political economy. i didn't become a leftist until about 2006 though after reading a bunch of stuff recommended by mccaine and quind.
one of the first leftists i read was harry cleaver actually in 2005 or so because mccaine recommended him when he was into autonomist stuff

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

crow did you take any classes from joao he was the shit

No that sounds good as shit. O well maybe next time

liberal pinko academia corrupting our youth Lol
i didnt need no moonbat elitist professor to radicalise me, ive always been a marxist because its A Priori Truth

getfiscal posted:

Getfiscal im glad you did what you did. Its funny that whenever someone Fight the power the power gets huffy no matter how aware of power they are supposed to be. Hats of to you.
That sounds a lot better than my last econ professor who said verbatim that the absolute best tax system for everyone was 30% across the board because flat tax was the fairest way to go.
Also you know when Marx says, "The Scotch hate gold"... what exactly is he referring to here?
i've never been to university, the internet has been the only thing to teach me anything in the past decade

my gf does sociology at USyd now and i'm a bit jealous, having impassioned political discussions with informed people irl seems like a bizzare concept to me, although she does have to wade through a lot of shitty opinions and handholding for idiot rich kids.
yeah uh doing undergrad sociology study is not having impassioned political discussions with informed people

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

slender... man...

deadken posted:

i didnt need no moonbat elitist professor to radicalise me, ive always been a marxist because its A Priori Truth

but why ain't ya a communist?