http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/9598499/US-state-department-contradicts-original-Benghazi-account.html

The US state department has released a full account of what happened the night its ambassador to Libya was killed, rejecting its own earlier claims that the attack was a protest that had got out of hand.

In an extraordinary move, officials appeared to lay the blame for confusion over what happened in the Libyan city of Benghazi on the shoulders of a key aide to President Barack Obama - Susan Rice, the administration's United Nations ambassador.

She told reporters five days after the attack that armed militants had "hijacked" a protest linked to an anti-Islamic video posted online in the United States. By that stage, local guards at the consulate building and other witnesses were all denying any sign of a protest before the attack, which began with grenades being hurled into the compound.

In the briefing, officials were asked about the previous explanation that the attack was linked to the video. "That was not our conclusion," one replied, calling it a question for "others" to answer.

The administration's handling of the attack on the consulate has become an election issue, with Republicans questioning the administration sharply over both the level of security at the consulate and the immediate response.

They have claimed the state department turned down requests for extra security in Libya, despite the growing threat from Islamist militias and militants who had earlier attacked the British ambassador, Sir Dominic Asquith, in Benghazi, and even the US consulate compound itself.

The administration is also accused of downplaying the possibility that the attack was a pre-planned assault by militants, possibly allied to al-Qaeda, partly because Mr Obama has set his successes against the group including the killing of Osama bin Laden at the heart of his campaign, and partly because of the criticisms over security.

In the briefing, in advance of a congressional hearing set for later on Wednesday, there was no mention of the supposed protests on the night of the attack, September 11, and the streets around the consulate were described as "calm" beforehand.

The officials then described an overwhelming attack in which security guards trying to rescue the ambassador, Chris Stevens, and another diplomat, Sean Smith, from the main consulate building were beaten back by force of numbers. The two diplomats had sought refuge with an armed bodyguard in a barred-off safe area within the building, but tried to escape as the building was set on fire.

The decision of the bodyguard to leave first was described as "in line with protocol". He was suffering severely from smoke inhalation, but tried to return when the other two men failed to follow. He found Mr Smith, who was already dead, but couldn't locate Mr Stevens.

Other members of the security detail, once they were able to get to the building, also looked for him without success.

Mr Stevens was eventually found, still alive, by local people who flooded the compound as the attackers turned their attention to a second consulate building a mile away used as an accommodation annexe.

He was taken to hospital, and was located there after his cell phone was called.

The revelation that the Ms Rice's comments were not in line with state department conclusions, if verified, will put further pressure on the Obama campaign.

At the same early stages of the investigation, the state department spokesman, Victoria Nuland, was careful to avoid making authoritative statements, but she also did not draw reporters away from the theory connecting the attack to the video.

Two days afterwards, she told reporters: "We are very cautious about drawing any conclusions with regard to who the perpetrators were, what their motivations were, whether it was premeditated, whether they had any external contacts, whether there was any link (to protests elsewhere over the video)." But she added: "That said, obviously, there are plenty of people around the region citing this disgusting video as something that has been motivating."

that's a fucking nutjob crackpot theory and i'll have none of that.
sean "vile rat" smith is alive in argentina
i hope you all fucking remember that i fucking CALLED IT

fuckreas.
finally the global american conspiracy does something good
obama's not the hero we deserve

he's the hero we need
i think O'bummer was genuinely naive enough to think he could affect positive global change if he were president but figured out pretty quickly that the game is really rigged on so many levels and that everything half positive he tried had some pretty negative ramifications so now he's like "fuck it, whatever, if you want to have a mormon robot for president be my guests, bunch of ingrates"

I would vote for him if I were american.

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

sean "vile rat" smith is alive in argentina

The US military protection program gave him plastic and reconstructive surgery so he now looks like a 100 year old Josef Goebbels

the cia recovery team shows up and finds their agent in operation goonfleet near death and screams but then regains composure and whispers "we can rebuild him". vilerat is now a cyborg.
heh looks like obongo is in for a little internet detectiving

*dons deerstalker* TO THE HELLDUPM MOBILE
[account deactivated]
cool, glad you like'em

Transient_Grace posted:

i think O'bummer was genuinely naive enough to think he could affect positive global change if he were president but figured out pretty quickly that the game is really rigged on so many levels and that everything half positive he tried had some pretty negative ramifications so now he's like "fuck it, whatever, if you want to have a mormon robot for president be my guests, bunch of ingrates"

haha he was such a naive idealistic before that, coming up from chicago politics

so naively idealistic he helped exploit poor blacks for his real estate friends during his tenure as a "community organizer"
whatever, i think he's on to something. i really believe obama stumbled into office all bright eyed, plopped down into his chair to sign that gitmo thing feeling his heart grow three times larger, then someone probably leaned in and whispered, "RealPolitik, sir."

and golly i reckon obama was just as shocked and disappointed as the rest of us.
Mr. Obama Goes to Washington
GUYS I THINK WE HAVE A CHANCE TO DO SOME JULIAN ASSANGE WIKILEAKS LEVEL SERIOUS SHIT IN WORLD POLITICS WITH THIS. WHO WILL MAKE THE WEBSITE?? THREAD STICKIED. NO OFF TOPIC POSTS OR U WILL BE PERMABANEND THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT.
http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=1CTCmmcnTXU&start=0m15s&end=0m32s
this is why i read right wing blogs, i knew obama was lying about this 2 weeks ago
i dont understand how this is a coverup rather than semantics?
im not gonna waste time reading about some dead moron, someone summarize the inconsistencies bc the bolded parts arent helpful
well its this house and its built in the swamp and the windows don't match and nothing is to code and the family is going to be entombed when it inevitably collapses under the weight of the incompetence that went into building it.

cleanhands posted:

im not gonna waste time reading about some dead moron, someone summarize the inconsistencies bc the bolded parts arent helpful

Republicans claim the Obama administration misled the public on the reasons the Libyans released footage of you standing in an enormous crib wearing a "who, me?" expression and a swelling diaper.

Crow posted:

Transient_Grace posted:

haha he was such a naive idealistic before that, coming up from chicago politics

nobodies perfect dude, case in point: jesus was a jew.

mods????
viletat's mom upset at obozo's massive coverup, son's demotion from goonfleet rear admiral

lol iflol iflol iflol if vilerat ends up getting romney elected
(a) Transient_Grace was right about everything
(b) The administration is hilariously incompetent, vote Romney
(c) The video was still relevant to the wider protests
(d) Vilerat is an American martyr worthy of solemn respect
(e) I'm going to take a pic of me kissing the corpse
[account deactivated]
early of montreal really sounds a lot like the apples in stereo with that whole indie beatles vibe

aerdil posted:

early of montreal really sounds a lot like the apples in stereo with that whole indie beatles vibe

tahts probably because at the time they were all basically the same band or some shit organic rutabaga farmers in athens georgia

Perhaps youev heard of a ltitle band called NeutrAL MILK HOTEL???//
[account deactivated]
i try to forget
vote ron paul, imo.
the dead corpse of vilerat is going to get Romney elected
U S A ! U S A !