angelbutt_dollface posted:

the only martial art ive tried as an adult was a half year of poekoelan (indonesian, brought to america by some weird dutch assassin dude) before i moved to a state that didnt have a poekoelan presence and gave it up. it was cool and fun even tho its a little silly with all the animal-inspired moves and such. man do i know how to take a hit and a fall now tho

it would be cool to be an rl poekoeman master

I saw a bruce lee joint........How.........How i do ..........WAa!

angelbutt_dollface posted:

the only martial art ive tried as an adult was a half year of poekoelan (indonesian, brought to america by some weird dutch assassin dude) before i moved to a state that didnt have a poekoelan presence and gave it up. it was cool and fun even tho its a little silly with all the animal-inspired moves and such. man do i know how to take a hit and a fall now tho

is it like this, this looks cool

i think a guy in street fighter yells pencak silat!!! when he does a move so it's obviously ideologically sound
[account deactivated]
yeah crow the geneology's there. poekoelan is pencak silat with chinese influences, as interpreted by a dutch dude. i never got far enough to learn the weapons stuff but part of the thing that attracted me to the school was they advertised bo staff fighting like you see in that video which has always seemed like it would be hella fun to me. lotta sword stuff too, which is fun to watch. speaking of which there was a youtube of some eskrima master catching a sword with his bare hands which is awesome but i can't find it. eskrima is cool because all the videos of it ive seen are little pudgy old filipino dudes beating on their students

tpaine i only studied if for like five months and they focus on the falling down and getting your ass beat stuff first when you're a beginner which is pretty logical if you think about it. my first couple lessons were pretty much entirely learning how to fall in various ways without hurting myself

one of the selling points they always harp on is that poekoelan is supposedly one of the few martial arts with a "full ground combat system" - by which they mean what you do when some dude fucking lays you out and you have to keep him from killing you before you can get back on your feet

Edited by angelbutt_dollface ()

the most ideologically correct martial art is paramilitary training in light arms and guerilla tactics by an anti-imperialist nation-state
pfft, nation-state

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

a wrestler who knows how to defend himself against submissions can generally dominate a person trained in almost any other type of ground combat...

yeah but that's like saying "this high school dropout (who incidentally went back to school and graduated)." wrestling obv rules from the feet but most of the instincts that wrestling instills in you for the ground are the opposite of good submission grappling

palafox posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

a wrestler who knows how to defend himself against submissions can generally dominate a person trained in almost any other type of ground combat...

yeah but that's like saying "this high school dropout (who incidentally went back to school and graduated)." wrestling obv rules from the feet but most of the instincts that wrestling instills in you for the ground are the opposite of good submission grappling

how so

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

what was "bridging out of back exposure" to prevent a pin becomes "giving up the back," which is where you are defenseless against a variety of painful things. the wrestling emphasis on constant attack (folkstyle, anyway, in this case) only magnifies this danger from the bottom. pretty much the entire wrestling game from top, folkstyle and freestyle and greco, is useless against a grappler because it involves trying to transition from a position of vulnerability for our hypothetical anti-wrestler grappler- hir back to the opponent- to a position that's notably to hir comparative advantage. in a wrestling match this is beaucoup points, but against a grappler you're basically throwing yourself into guard or a scramble, which is where bad things happen if you aren't used to them. This is a problem for wrestlers from the feet, too- a flawless double leg can get you into trouble once it lands.

This post is informative, not creative, and humorless

Edited by palafox ()

Hm what
ok kid, looks like i'll have to show not tell. put this spandex onesie on- good. now hunch yourself like this. ok when i touch you and twist you up- I know it feels funny, those are emotions, we don't talk about them- you do this stuff. no that's the wrong stuff! hit the showers kid, this is a disaster. maybe try the swim team.
Poetry.
I already tried the swim team. Now all I know is how to drown someone
if you're interested in useful martial arts and dont want to grip on and get smacked by weird violent narcissist/masochist dudes for 3 or 4 years go take a self defense class or more than one, and start carrying pepper spray
i accept getting smacked by weird violent narcissist dudes as a valid lifeway
ideological self defense

palafox posted:

ok kid, looks like i'll have to show not tell. put this spandex onesie on- good. now hunch yourself like this. ok when i touch you and twist you up- I know it feels funny, those are emotions, we don't talk about them- you do this stuff. no that's the wrong stuff! hit the showers kid, this is a disaster. maybe try the swim team.

wrestling is a very intelligent martial art you just have jock-shock syndrome from being a huge nerd in high school lol

jock-shock i just made that up its the thing that all the people on the internet have where they are smugly vocal about not liking sports - in the case of 'leftists' on the internet somehow tying the fact that their puny feeble frame is not capable of participating in rigorous physical activity to some thing they made up about sports reinforcing national brutish fascism and chauvenism or w/e (except maybe "football," which is more intelligent bc europeans do it and no soccer players beat them up in junior high)
Check you're jock--shock privilege.
"jock-shock" is also the alternate title for paradol_ex_firefighter.txt
shock-jock is when you're in your mid to late twenties and see that your prime is just about up and your high school exploits start to appear monumental in the slow progress of your declining years
"Jock-Shock" (2003) is a craaaaaazy internet video that im in

gyrofry posted:

"jock-shock" is also the alternate title for paradol_ex_firefighter.txt

lmao

wasted posted:

shock-jock is when you're in your mid to late twenties and see that your prime is just about up and your high school exploits start to appear monumental in the slow progress of your declining years

your prime doesnt end till your mid-thirties! *cries into pillow*

*cries into the pillow too* Boohoo if only i had as many facebook friends..
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

palafox posted:

wrestling is a very intelligent martial art you just have jock-shock syndrome from being a huge nerd in high school lol

i wrestled! I do wrestle! We are very intelligent, so intelligent that we have jokes! You should try it sometime!

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

palafox posted:

thank you for coming to wrasslins defense tho. your reward: the tears of a misunderstood sensitive 171 pounder, wearing a jockstrap, crying into your shoulder (he needs to lose a little more moisture for his weight cut).

Bitch Do You Even Train

[account deactivated]

palafox posted:

thank you for coming to wrasslins defense tho. your reward: the tears of a misunderstood sensitive 171 pounder, wearing a jockstrap, crying into your shoulder (he needs to lose a little more moisture for his weight cut).

Bitch Do You Even Train

i did judo (the Best Martial Art) for lots of years in jr high/highschool/college but now i just ride a bike a million miles a day on a lot of cocaine